• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
PushDustIn PushDustIn or Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom or anyone with an extensive knowledge of Japanese really.

In the Japanese direct, when Sakurai is talking about the 103 stages, how much finality is in the wording used? Is it vague or does it declare with certainty that 103 is the final number of stages?

Iridium

Smash Hero
PushDustIn PushDustIn or Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom or anyone with an extensive knowledge of Japanese really.

In the Japanese direct, when Sakurai is talking about the 103 stages, how much finality is in the wording used? Is it vague or does it declare with certainty that 103 is the final number of stages?

Wakarimasen. However, I would say he definitely doesn't seem like he has this set in stone, but I can't confirm that he doesn't.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman

"When compared to the previous titles there's 103 stages"
It is kind of a plain statement.

There's no declaration that it's going to stop at 103.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
While we're on stages, when I did my stage-to-character ratio list, I noticed that my boi was on the top of all the lists (1 (64), 3 (Melee), 2 (Brawl), 1 (3DS), 2 (Wii U), 4 (Ultimate)), BUT he shared that spot with other franchises.

Until now...

I want one more rep to even things out...

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Then on the opposite end you get small pokemon that are supposed to weigh a lot more than they realistically should, like the 2 foot tall Larvitar that supposedly weighs over 150 pounds. This image sums up pretty well how the Pokedex entries were probably made by a 10 year old.
And then somewhere in the middle you have real world animals somehow existing alongside Pokemon, like Raichu being able to incapacitate an "Indian elephant" with its shocks, or Gastly being able to incapacitate an "Indian elephant" with its gas... and the Pokedex entry for Gastly refers to said elephant as "prey." You're telling me Gastly eats those things? And what does Game Freak have against Indian elephants?

That image missed the one about Grimer being made from sludge exposed to "X-rays from the moon", Metang being able to "withstand a crash with a jet plane", and Kadabra actually being a young boy with psychic powers. Sans is Ness? No, Kadabra is Ness.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think this has been discussed.

F472300B-2521-4597-B50E-719A302B6BC4.jpeg

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

There's 6 open slots on the bottom when they show the stage select screen. It's safe to assume we're getting at least the 109.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wanna share this video of a fanmade FE:A support convo based on Chrom's arrival in Smash:

This video made me miss Awakening so much. ;_;
The blame can’t go to Sakurai...only Viridi...this was a sexy video

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
There's 6 open slots on the bottom when they show the stage select screen. It's safe to assume we're getting at least the 109.
Yeah, there's definitely going to be DLC stages. Either totally new ones or some of the few that were left behind.

LET'S GO POKE FLOATS.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

View attachment 158297
Why are Skull Kid and K. Rool placed next to each other on the roster? Way away and separated from their home franchises?

Adding more weirdness to all this is the fact that Isabelle isn't. She's right next to Villager's spot on the roster.

And besides that.....

Also, 90% sure this this the Isabelle they used, just mirrored.

^This may be enough to disconfirm this one.

The Skull Kid render is a bit harder to pin down but a few searches I've done have turned up some possible candidates.

Shroob

Sup?
Why are Skull Kid and K. Rool placed next to each other on the roster? Way away and separated from their home franchises?

Adding more weirdness to all this is the fact that Isabelle isn't. She's right next to Villager's spot on the roster.

And besides that.....

^This may be enough to disconfirm this one.

The Skull Kid render is a bit harder to pin down but a few searches I've done have turned up some possible candidates.
Characters are being separated by time added to Smash this game as a heads up.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
And then somewhere in the middle you have real world animals somehow existing alongside Pokemon, like Raichu being able to incapacitate an "Indian elephant" with its shocks, or Gastly being able to incapacitate an "Indian elephant" with its gas... and the Pokedex entry for Gastly refers to said elephant as "prey." You're telling me Gastly eats those things? And what does Game Freak have against Indian elephants?

That image missed the one about Grimer being made from sludge exposed to "X-rays from the moon", Metang being able to "withstand a crash with a jet plane", and Kadabra actually being a young boy with psychic powers. Sans is Ness? No, Kadabra is Ness.

The interesting thing about that is real world animals were only referenced in the Gen1-Gen2 universe, in the timelines after that it's all Pokemon. Everything else is still weird.

Although, which Pikachu and Jigglypuff are in Smash, I wonder.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

It's ordered by entry into Smash, and Isabelle is expected to be Villager's Echo.

But that begs the question, do they expect Skull Kid to be the last unique?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Wakarimasen. However, I would say he definitely doesn't seem like he has this set in stone, but I can't confirm he doesn't.
This reminds me of the other Direct, mostly because I'm getting the feel that Sakurai is simply amazed with what he can show off now. He most likely will have more content, including stages, before the official release.

New characters might make this even more of a possibility, so I would say Sakurai definitely might continue past 103, but I can't say much past that.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's ordered by entry into Smash, and Isabelle is expected to be Villager's Echo.

But that begs the question, do they expect Skull Kid to be the last unique?
Anyone expecting a character to be the last unique will be immediately wrong. lol. Until Sakurai has a say on that, people are just making it up.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Characters are being separated by time added to Smash this game as a heads up.
Oh.

Still feels like an odd choice by the devs, as well. Might as well say that.

Same render? Did these come from the same source?

Okay, that's weird render. What's up with the purple.....snake(?) thing?

I was thinking it might possibly be one of his HW renders but this seems totally new looking at it up close.

The more I'm seeing her make this expression in official artwork and the like, the more I think we're not gonna be able to reliably disconfirm this one via Isabelle. Good possibilities here, nonetheless. I would like to think they'd use some more unique type of artwork for her, if she were in, but it's hard to say for sure.

I think we might be better off putting more focus on that Skull Kid render. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Pokemon heights have never made much sense, at a certain point you just gotta say "Pichu is small, Charizard is big" and leave it at that.
if you wthink that pokemon heights are weird, teh weights are even worse. I eman, groudon is like the pokemon Godzilla... yet he weights like... half a cow.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah,,,,,, what exactly is that purple thing supposed to be?

It's not from Hyrule Warriors, nor is it from Majora. Majora's tendrils are fleshtone.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Could've possibly been an existing render modified via some image editing.

No idea where the new additions could've come from, though. The closest render to that one that I've found so far is this piece of artwork:

Even then I highly doubt it; the mask looks to be higher quality and parts of his hat look a lot thinner.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

View attachment 158297
Clearly fake. The font on Isabelle is different, the other pic included in this had Skull Kid's portrait stretched out more than anyone else and shows the hand is editted on and the snake simply doesn't make sense. A: Skull Kid has nothing to do with snakes. B: If it's supposed to be Majora's Mask's tentacles the colour, pattern and width are all wrong and C: If it's a new design element, why introduce it? Majora's Mask 3D came out less than a year before the project plan was finished so people would immediately tell something's different for no reason

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Our resident font guy might give better insight, but I can already tell that Isabelle's font all ****ed up. For whatever reason it's taller than everybody else's while being much clearer, with a pinch of overused drop shadow aaaand it's not aligned correctly. I also think that Wolf's much clearer than Villager's (because he wasn't actually present on the demo).

Skull Kid's seems fine, but it's side-to-side with another probably made up one, so it's harder to judge

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Clearly fake. The font on Isabelle is different, the other pic included in this had Skull Kid's portrait stretched out more than anyone else and shows the hand is editted on and the snake simply doesn't make sense. A: Skull Kid has nothing to do with snakes. B: If it's supposed to be Majora's Mask's tentacles the colour, pattern and width are all wrong and C: If it's a new design element, why introduce it? Majora's Mask 3D came out less than a year before the project plan was finished so people would immediately tell something's different for no reason
Other newcomers have used new designs, some using new elements and/or mixed elements from different games. Ridley in particular stands out for this.

The reasons have varied, but it's not exactly improbable for them to use a considerably different and new design for another newcomer like this.

Last edited:

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
If anything I think the tendrils on Skull Kid are further evidence that this is legit, if this were a fake leak, they'd go to efforts to make sure the character is clearly themselves. This kind of modification is just strange enough to make me believe there's something to it. I've been wondering how Skull Kid's moveset would work anyway and him using various Majora tendrils does expand the possibilities...

Also

Fake as ****. Clearly a photoshopped Little Mac.
I feel bad for Little Mac if this leak turns out to be real - two games in a row where the leak's dismissed because someone thinks he looks obviously fake

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Other newcomers have used new designs, some using new elements and/or mixed elements from different games. Ridley in particular stands out for this.

The reasons have varied, but it's not exactly improbable for them to use a considerably different and new design for another newcomer like this.
Ridley's like 90% Super Metroid with 10% Other M.

Skull Kid has literally never been associated with snek.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ridley's like 90% Super Metroid with 10% Other M.

Skull Kid has literally never been associated with snek.
It's kinda far-fetched, but them representing tentacles ala Majora's Wrath is a small possibility.

It's absolutely an oddity that makes little sense, but it's not enough to count the leak out as fake all on it's own.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Screenshot_7.png

Screenshot_8.png

lmao I swear, do people make these in a hurry? or they make it obvious so people discover it? That's a REALLY big mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom