• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think we'll get Crash Bandicoot, Banjo & Kazooie or Steve Minecraft (that is his official name according to Super Meat Boy) before we get anyone from Bethesda or Blizzard. Though if Crash gets in, he's owned by the Activision half of Activision-Blizzard so... maybe...

Shroob

Sup?
Hm

If we by a miracle get Geno.

What if instead of Forest Maze as a stage(Because lets be honest, the original Forest maze isn't memorable at all except for the song), what if we got Bowser's Castle with Exor lodged into it?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Hm

If we by a miracle get Geno.

What if instead of Forest Maze as a stage(Because lets be honest, the original Forest maze isn't memorable at all except for the song), what if we got Bowser's Castle with Exor lodged into it?

Exor would be my choice for mario rpg stage, that or the axem rangers ship with exor in the background.

forest maze has great music and is where you first meet geno but i dont think its the coolest setting from mario rpg to make a stage out of.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Exor would be my choice for mario rpg stage, that or the axem rangers ship with exor in the background.

forest maze has great music and is where you first meet geno but i dont think its the coolest setting from mario rpg to make a stage out of.
You could at least get Bowyer as an AT. Have him shoot arrows to stun opponents...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So looking at the newcomer boards, the four non-echo characters that people are pinning their hopes on now are Skull Kid, Isaac, Bandanna Waddle Dee and Geno.

If even one of them gets in then this roster will be confirmed to be 100% fan service.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Well, you have to remember that Blizzard did make games for Nintendo systems back in the day like Lost Vikings or Blackthorne. It's not like Bethesda who JUST started supporting Nintendo consoles.

I think what needs to happen is for A. Overwatch to get a Switch version, which is looking more likley now that Paladins got on (Minecraft didn't come to the WiiU until Minecraft clones started topping the download charts) B. Nintendo to have an interest in adding more 3rd parties that are Cloud levels of unexpected. The Ganondorf gettup in Diablo is a good start.
It's definately going to matter what guest character they would push. I mean I like Bayonetta but her being a guest, didn't know how to feel about that. Same with Overwatch if Tracer got added.. And I would hate to get a WOW character.

I could live with a Diablo character. Especially considering they added Ganondorf, which feels like a nice trade situation.

I guess I am not that big of a fan when it comes to guest characters from modern games. (Not that warcraft and Diablo is modern, but still). Also Blizzard is super ingrained for me as a primary PC developper. We'll see I guess, I'll probably won't mind in the end.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So looking at the newcomer boards, the four non-echo characters that people are pinning their hopes on now are Skull Kid, Isaac, Bandanna Waddle Dee and Geno.

If even one of them gets in then this roster will be confirmed to be 100% fan service.
The roster is kind of already 100% fanservice. I consider Isaac fairly important since he reps a beloved and unfortunately forgotten series, but the rest are pretty fluffy.

I think you know the roster’s good when the most requested characters left are one created to be Player 4, a one-time villain from an N64 title, and a random party member from an ancient spin-off. Not to diminish requests for those characters, but their relative unimportance is testament to how thorough the roster we already have is. Ultimate’s newcomers have been incredibly efficient.

Of course, there will always be NEW characters to add, since Nintendo is always putting out new games.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the roster is kind of already 100% fanservice. I think Isaac is fairly important since he reps a beloved and unfortunately forgotten series, but the rest are pretty fluffy.

I think you know the roster’s good when the most requested characters left are one created to be Player 4, a one-time villain from an N64 title, and a random party member from an ancient spin-off. Not to diminish requests for those characters, but their relative unimportance is testament to how thorough the roster we already have is. Ultimate’s newcomers have been incredibly efficient.

Of course, there will always be NEW characters to add, since Nintendo is always putting out new games.
Yeah, that's my point.

Inklings are the new hotness in Nintendo's family
Ridley got in after decades of requests but is still a prominent character
Simon and Richter represent one of the biggest and longest going game series out there, even if it's a bit lacking in new releases.

I think Isaac's situation is most comparable to King K. Rool's in that they were very prominent in their day but for whatever reason time has left them behind. With King K. Rool proving that Ridley wasn't the sole bone being thrown, it's now a matter of seeing how far it goes.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468

Weird how not too many people are actively wanting a Pokemon rep, but most seem to expect it.

Also I would switch out Bandanna Dee with Banjo. Banjo tends to place top 3 in polls these days.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Weird how not too many people are actively wanting a Pokemon rep, but most seem to expect it.

Also I would switch out Bandanna Dee with Banjo. Banjo tends to place top 3 in polls these days.
Because he's the only semi-realistic choice that could top Ridley and King K. Rool

T-Hell

Smash Lord
The possibility of Incineroar as a newcomer has been growing on me lately and now I kind of want him.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The hype made me crack. I finally payed for premium like I've been wanting to all these years. Honestly it's been on my mind since the Smash Direct. To tell the truth, I'm in part making this post just because I want to see my cool new post background.
I think a lot of that comes down to the fact that people have been campaigning for the likes of Geno since before Brawl while Pokemon fans tend to campaign for different pokemon each Smash game. Furthermore, Pokemon fans are generally a lot more split on who they want in. Overall I think a new pokemon rep would make more people happy then Geno, especially among casual fans, but Geno fans tend to be a lot more dedicated and vocal.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, Pokemon tries its best to give all 800+ of it's monsters personality and presence. Every single one is someone's favourite. Yes, even Bidoof.

We can look to Pokken to get an idea of what Pokemon are considered cool overall. Even in the starting roster: Pikachu, Lucario, Gardevoir, Machamp, Suicune; you have all very different and very popular for different reasons.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think most people actively want a Pokemon rep. It's just that a majority of people who want a newcomer limit themselves to only one or two of their favorites. Once their choice gets deconfirmed or is suddenly seen as unlikely, the motivation to support a new Pokemon rep sort of dissipates.

To prove my point, Decidueye was one of the most popular characters once Ultimate was first announced. Now that we have Pokemon Trainer and rumors circulating about Incineroar, a lot of people have abandoned ship and lost the willpower to continue supporting Decidueye.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Please not a Bethesda character before anyone from Ubisoft, Microsoft, Activision, Geno, Shantae, etc. That being said, Doomguy would be an insane addition!

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Gengar please, Decidueye or however is spelled doesn't really interest me.

Genescect is one of the few gen V Pokemon I'm okay with being in the game using drives to change form such as red for more damage but takes more knockback ie Shulk would be cool

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I'm a big fan of Pokemon, but I've never actively desired any pokemon newcomer since there are just so many possibilities and I'm always happy with the one Sakurai eventually picks anyway.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm a big fan of Pokemon, but I've never actively desired any pokemon newcomer since there are just so many possibilities and I'm always happy with the one Sakurai eventually picks anyway.
I actually think TPC picks playable Pokemon, if I’m not mistaken. That or they have a very powerful suggestion.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The roster is kind of already 100% fanservice. I consider Isaac fairly important since he reps a beloved and unfortunately forgotten series, but the rest are pretty fluffy.

Do have to say if you just look at those it seems everyone's in the game, but that's leaving out one of the protagonists of a game where we already have the other two protagonists playable and the antagonist. Seriously, I don't care for Dixie Kong, but it's gunna feel so weird if she isn't playable.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I am so excited for this Smash game, I think the only time when I have been as hyped like this, was before Smash Bros Brawl. But I realised something, which happened with part of Brawl and Smash 4.

I do not have anyone to play with. I used to be part of a group that played Smash together, however over the course of time we played less and less. I'm also no longer friends with them.

One of the things that also happened was that they became more and more competetive in the sense "no items" "no x stage" and the primary reason was that I played Sheik in Melee and Brawl and was insanely accurate when using items. So it was more because of salt then anything else (I could still beat them without, but it was less fun, I enjoy the chaos and references).

I really enjoy casual play, and while there are tourneys I could join. It's ussually no items and standard stages. (I can do that in other fighters)

So it's probably me playing alone for several months and then dropping it again. My Switch also literally doesn't want to connect to wifi so that isn't an option either. It's kind of bizarre that I managed to have no one with an active interest of videogames in my life. My partner plays a little, but fighting games are my type of games and I tend to be of a higher level than other casual players.
So yeah :/

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I believe this meme goes for all of us in the fandom.

I'm rooting for you, Shantae, and I always will be.
Pretty much why I stopped openly supporting Villager after 2005 until he got added, Krystal after 2008, and why I've always been a very low key Toad supporter. At least we're largely civil here. Have you seen how 4chan treats disconfirmed character fans? It's been over a week and they're STILL dragging Ashley fans right now.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Theory: We will see more assist trophies than we thought, and similar to the stages and characters, a focus on bringing as much back as possible will be present. So bear with me, if you will, as I expand on that...

Lists are taken from the Smash wiki, and there are some errors (wiki alleges Ashley has been shown in Smash ultimate as an AT, I haven’t seen that. I think it’s missing some ATs, I could have sworn there was one called Drill Team that acted like Jill Dozer.)

Assist trophies from previous smashes not yet seen in Ultimate:

• Isaac *
  • Tingle **
  • Barbara *
  • Saki **
  • Skull Kid ***
  • Ray Mk II *
  • Shadow **
  • Phosphora ***
  • Nightmare ***
  • Mr. Resetti *
  • Magnus ***
  • Lakitu and Spineys **
  • Kat and Ana **
  • Jill Dozer *
  • Isabelle ***
  • Infantry and Tanks **
  • Heilirin *
  • Excitebikes *
  • Elec Man ***
  • Dillon ***
  • chain chomp ***
  • Ashley ***
  • Devil **
  • Sable ***

Where:
* assist trophies who appeared in Brawl but not in Smash 4 and haven’t been seen for ultimate.
** assist trophies who were in both brawl and smash 4 and haven’t been seen for ultimate
*** assist trophies who were not in Brawl, but were in Smash 4 and haven’t been seen for ultimate.

Analysis of trophies that have appeared in Brawl but not in 4 and not been seen for Smash 4:
Isaac - There is fan demand. A lot. That raises his chances of being playable significantly, if not at least coming back as an AT.
Barbara - Not known outside of Japan, still possible to come back as an AT because this game throws everything in, but could very well be left out.
Ray Mk II - I would be shocked if he didn’t come back as an AT in this theory, but I’d be a lot more shocked if he was playable
Mr Resetti - Zero chance of being playable, decent chance of returning as an AT
Jill Dozer - I’d love it, but I think she was replaced by drill team as an AT, and just does not have the notoriety for playable... especially when if you made her moveset today, you’d probably want to court getting Dig Dug Doug as a third party.
Heilirin - I could see coming back as an AT just because of the gameplay mechanic
Excitebikes - I would be shocked if they didn’t come back as an AT... I don’t see excitebiker being playable

Analysis of characters that have been assist trophies in both Smash Brawl and Smash 4 but haven’t been seen in ultimate:

Tingle - He’s more likely to be playable than anyone would care to admit. Easily in more Zelda games than anyone not named link, Ganon, Zelda, or impa (and he might have impa beat); he has had his own games.... but he’s so crazy. Rest assured, there’s still no way I don’t see his assist trophy at least returning.
Saki - I’d love him to be playable, but not insanely likely, though certainly not impossible either. If he’s not, I still doubt his assist trophy gets dropped.
Shadow - He’s going to be a Sonic echo. Plain and simple.
Kat and Ana - Huh? They were in both games? Don’t even remember them in Smash 4. Well, they’re not being made playable over Ashley. But their AT will probably make a third appearance.
Devil - not a real fighter, so I imagine the AT comes back.
Infantry and Tanks - I could see the AT returning and blind bias makes me hope the delay is for an advanced wars character reveal.
Lakitu and spineys - this assist trophy has to return.... but if it doesn’t go that way... I’m maining Lakitu

Analysis of Smash 4 assist trophies that did not appear in Brawl and have yet to be shown in ultimate:
Skull Kid - Likely to be playable
Phosphora - Not even sure if she’s coming back, but we haven’t seen any uprising assist trophies yet. I think Sakurai’s taking some Kid Icarus content out sadly... though he did put the staff in as an item
Nightmare - Likely to come back as an assist, not a chance as a playable character
Magnus - See Phosphora
Isabelle - Likely to be playable. Animal Crossing has only gotten more popular as has Isabelle.
Elec Man - Possibly replaces by Zero, but I’d love to see this assist return.
Dillon - As he had a new game this year I would be shocked if he doesn’t come back. Which is also why I think he’s similar to Tingle as being a lot more likely than people think.
Chain Chomp - In a perfect world, would be playable. In the real world, this AT should probably return. There’s just so many assets for it already between Odyssey and Mario Tennis.
Ashley - Absence is conspicuous... especially coupled with Kat and Ana’s. Honestly, I could see their AT revealed with a playable Ashley.
Sable - He’s cool, I like him, I doubt he’d be playable and I could see them dropping his AT entirely.

And finally:
Bonus theory:

While making this list I realize a lot of AT’s who’s absence are unusual could be coupled with other possible reveals.

Tingle could be coupled with a HIlda or Impa echo reveal.
Infantry and Tanks could be coupled with an advance wars character
Kat and Ana could be coupled with an Ashley reveal
Seeing how an associated AT could be used to bolster a character’s reveal in general, I could see this as a strategy for DLC/continued game support

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I am so excited for this Smash game, I think the only time when I have been as hyped like this, was before Smash Bros Brawl. But I realised something, which happened with part of Brawl and Smash 4.

I do not have anyone to play with. I used to be part of a group that played Smash together, however over the course of time we played less and less. I'm also no longer friends with them.

One of the things that also happened was that they became more and more competetive in the sense "no items" "no x stage" and the primary reason was that I played Sheik in Melee and Brawl and was insanely accurate when using items. So it was more because of salt then anything else (I could still beat them without, but it was less fun, I enjoy the chaos and references).

I really enjoy casual play, and while there are tourneys I could join. It's ussually no items and standard stages. (I can do that in other fighters)

So it's probably me playing alone for several months and then dropping it again. My Switch also literally doesn't want to connect to wifi so that isn't an option either. It's kind of bizarre that I managed to have no one with an active interest of videogames in my life. My partner plays a little, but fighting games are my type of games and I tend to be of a higher level than other casual players.
So yeah :/
Try playing against amiibos. It's a little more challenging than playing against level 9 CPUs and the amiibo is specifically trained to react to stuff you do.

Staarih

Smash Master
The possibility of Incineroar as a newcomer has been growing on me lately and now I kind of want him.
Same here, especially with Mimikyu now out of the picture and having never really jumped on the Decidueye-train, I've began to look into Incineroar a bit more.

I'd also take Lycanroc though. Recently I've also played with the idea of Poipole as the rep, with its prominence in US/UM and looking to get an arc of its own in the anime - it would also "check" any Ultra Beast box as well. Sadly it's too late for it to become reality lol, maybe a Pokéball Pokémon then.

Has there been discussion about Ninten becoming a possible Echo of Ness/Lucas? I've grown to like the idea of all Mother/Earthbound protags in the game.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Me and the characters I support in a nutshell... :lol:

I don't really talk very much about the characters I support unless other people bring them up and discuss them themselves.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I've seen a couple of people mention the black Knight as an Ike echoe and one person pointed out that Ike's black Knight inspired alt is gone. I can't even put into words how hyped I'd be for that. I don't want to get my hopes up even a little bit but realistically what are his chances?

D

Deleted member

I'm still torn on how to exactly set my expectations for this game.
Back when Inklings were revealed, I thought we simply would go through the motions, cut some characters here and there, add characters from new games and deconfirm all of our favorites again.
Then... E3 happened, everyone is here, Clones being a planned thing throws a new loop in speculation and Ridley, mother****ing Ridley, he just destroyed any semblance of what the word "prediction" means.
But still, I thought he was the odd one out, that had it not been for size issues, we would have gotten him a long time ago anyways, popularity just erased the one hurdle he had to cross but then, my expectations were toppled again with the Direct. Simon was expected due to Verg but he showed us any of the 3rd Parties could get more of their characters; Richter showed us 3rd Parties don't need to be big names to the gaming community as a whole and that, yes, Shadow and Ken are happening; Chrom subverted the Echo expectations and Dark Samus showed us that even a forgotten character could be in, even if just as an Echo; then K.Rool happened, a character that hasn't been relevant for his franchise for about 10 years who has been forgotten by everyone but Smash Forums, whose only reason of being here is his popularity and nothing else.

But still, I wonder, are those the exception? Are the other newcomers more of what we saw in past games? Or are they all just super-requested characters? But would Sakurai bring characters from dead franchises like Isaac even if they were popular? Would he bring 3rd Parties that won't ever be on Nintendo again like Banjo? And would he bring a side character from one game just because he's popupar enough like Geno?

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
Lists are taken from the Smash wiki, and there are some errors (wiki alleges Ashley has been shown in Smash ultimate as an AT, I haven’t seen that.
Then you shouldn't call it an error and actually make sure, instead of relying on "what you've seen". Ashley has been shown to be an AT during the last Smash-Direct. ;)

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Try playing against amiibos. It's a little more challenging than playing against level 9 CPUs and the amiibo is specifically trained to react to stuff you do.
Yeah last Smash game I basically did 9 level cpus in a team, but that wasn't enough. I don't have any Smash amiibos. So getting them now is probably an expensive endeavor.

Sometimes I just think I should invest in just one character and try to compete, I ussually can play every character in a game to certain level. But it just doesn't seem fun to me. I am not a really competetive person. I don't care if I win or lose, as long as I'm having fun.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Shantae's way more deserving than SK! Shantae has been around longer, and with Nintendo specifically, actually has multiple games instead of the one flash-in-the-pan title, might be more popular in Japan? (feel free to state if that's accurate or not)

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
I still think he’s ugly, but if he can hit people with a table like in his concept art, I’ll warm up to him.
His burning crotch will certainly warm you up.

(The only problem I have with Inceneroar is that his fire attacks come from his belt and it reminds me of many things)

Shantae's way more deserving than SK! Shantae has been around longer, and with Nintendo specifically, actually has multiple games instead of the one flash-in-the-pan title, might be more popular in Japan? (feel free to state if that's accurate or not)
All of Shovel Knights games have been excellent though (plague knight and Spectre Knight play completely different). I can't view it as one title personally.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Don't you trigger me..Hilda was my favorite part of A Link Between Worlds..if Zelda can't get a colour swap of her (seriously..what does Sakurai have against the most obvious colour alts? Took forever for Fire Mario, few Shiny colours for Pokémon, no Hilda for Zelda..but we'll get the totally different colours of OoT & LttP Zelda!) Then I want a Hilda echo fighter!
I'm glad that you like Hilda. That has nothing to do with her overall lack of popularity. I'm not insulting the character. I'm reminding this board that an opinion and a fact aren't the same thing. Why is that even necessary for me to do?

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
I openly state that I support all the waifus in your meme (Lolis ftw & Shantae > SK). :p

But yeah, I also think that Incineroar is pretty ugly. I only fully evolved on of my Litten to fill my Pokédex, all the ones that came after, I never fully evolved, didn't want to do that to them. XD
I also don't get the hype behind Bandana Dee. Been a Kirby-fan for 20 years but Bandana Dee is the last character I'd want for Smash. There's so many more interesting characters left in the Kirby-Universe. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom