• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy-ro

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think of that "custom balance" option in rules being speculated to allow rage to be turned off? Personally hate rage so I hope this is the case

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Kind of odd that Skull Kid is going to be the considered Newcomer... especially since he wasn't really that popular amongst others.

Dang this is a Villains and Heroes game, I'm gonna need a Defibrillator if this means my dream is actually close

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I... just want everyone to be able to agree on a rule set. I don't think it should be that hard. Maybe grouping stages together as a category and some visuals to help with banning will help? I don't know. It's been on my mind a while
The stage grouping idea isn't ideal, but I would gladly take that if it gets us 20+ stages legal instead of <10 stages legal. I just don't want to end up with a stagelist barely better than what we had in past Smash games when we finally got the stage hazard switch and the potential to have so much more stages legal.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
What do you guys think of that "custom balance" option in rules being speculated to allow rage to be turned off? Personally hate rage so I hope this is the case
I actually like rage as it mostly benefits heavyweights who generally need it more. But losing it probably won't actually make that much of a difference in the long run so I won't try and fight it when the community inevitably bans it.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Seasons change, eras pass, we are in dark times, and yet there is levity to be found in simply the joy in Smash. Each time I came here and speculated was before a release, and lemme tell you, my life sure has changed in 11 years.

Light a candle for Sakurai. Dude's got a portrait aging in his attic

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How would people feel if a Three Houses from FE rep was DLC?
Edelgard and Claude look neat, Dimitri looks okay but his hair sucks, and Byleth just kind of looks like a sword using avatar so I'm not sure they'd go for him. Mercedes and Hilda exist but that's all we know about them.

Going off the first trailer anyway.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
The stage grouping idea isn't ideal, but I would gladly take that if it gets us 20+ stages legal instead of <10 stages legal. I just don't want to end up with a stagelist barely better than what we had in past Smash games when we finally got the stage hazard switch and the potential to have so much more stages legal.
Hmm...

I don't necessarily mean grouping for banning itself. I have an idea. Hang on just a sec.

(Maybe I should speak up more. I'm far more of a game dev than I am a competitive Smash Player, but I might have good universal ideas for this game)

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
All I want is Banjo-Kazooie.

90s Rare games were such a big part of my personal gaming story.

Started at Mario on the NES and SNES, moved on to Sonic when I got my SEGA, landed at Diddy Kong's Racing, Banjo-Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day on the 64. That's where all my nostalgia is.

Also, if Banjo-Kazooie gets in, as much as I'd love a Mumbo AT, I would much rather see Conker and an AT.

Banjo, Conker and Diddy... what a reunion! (K. Rool can stand in for Krunch too)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If it is an option to fully turn off rage, I would expect the competitive community to try as hard as possible to make that setting the standard by Day 1. However, online is gonna be an issue if it uses rage by default.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm like 90% sure Custom Balance is just Handicaps and whatnot.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
How would people feel if a Three Houses from FE rep was DLC?
At this point I feel that Three Houses would have to be a massive success and make a lot of Waves to be accepted among those that complain about the FE characters in the roster.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Kind of odd that Skull Kid is going to be the considered Newcomer... especially since he wasn't really that popular amongst others.

Dang this is a Villains and Heroes game, I'm gonna need a Defibrillator if this means my dream is actually close
Think about it. Simon and Skull Kid are popular, but not nearly as much as Waluigi or Ashley. Shovel Knight was more popular, but he became an assist trophy. So what I'm thinking is that we may be treated to more villains and maybe more less known ones. I do hope that does mean my Deathborn, Eggman, and Porky theory is right

Remmy-ro

Smash Cadet
If it is an option to fully turn off rage, I would expect the competitive community to try as hard as possible to make that setting the standard by Day 1. However, online is gonna be an issue if it uses rage by default.
True though I would like to know a hell of a lot more about how online will function in this game in general

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
At this point I feel that Three Houses would have to be a massive success and make a lot of Waves to be accepted among those that complain about the FE characters in the roster.
They still have a right to complain because it's completely understandable when you look at their perspective.
Eight fighters. Now that's rivaling the Mario Bros for a series as relatively, well, not as such a big trillion billion money maker series as Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. The best I see Fire Emblem racking money in is gacha, and gacha is gacha it's a damn money trap from the beginning.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Think about it. Simon and Skull Kid are popular, but not nearly as much as Waluigi or Ashley. Shovel Knight was more popular, but he became an assist trophy. So what I'm thinking is that we may be treated to more villains and maybe more less known ones. I do hope that does mean my Deathborn, Eggman, and Porky theory is right
It just proves that Sakurai's motive for including new characters goes beyond just popularity :) he has his own reasons. It might be tied to the Spirits mode that we all think will be some kind of adventure/story mode.

Shroob

Sup?
I seriously do not get people's obsession over the Gardevoir leak to be frank.

Richter isn't this 'unknown' video game character, he's probably up there as the 2nd most famous Belmont.

And EVERYONE expected Simon due to Verg.

IIRC, the original post made extra attention to mention "Richter, not Simon."

To me, that just seems like they were trying to go for an extra step to try to discredit Verg.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
to be blunt if you took off gardevoir and gothitelle and said "isaac and waddle dee" I have no doubt it would have been being discussed a LOT more as soon as the direct ended.
Well, I think that's kind of funny actually, because that's one of the reasons I find this leak credible. Because all the previous "leaks" just listed whatever the most popular picks are (Geno, Ashley, King K. Rool, Heihachi, Sora, Waddle Dee), whereas the Gardevoir/Gothitelle leak is something that is too clever for some shmuck to make up.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
They still have a right to complain because it's completely understandable when you look at their perspective.
Eight fighters. Now that's rivaling the Mario Bros for a series as relatively, well, not as such a big trillion billion money maker series as Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. The best I see Fire Emblem racking money in is gacha, and gacha is gacha it's a damn money trap from the beginning.
To each their own I suppose. I've never cared all that much about the successful of a series when it comes to how they're portrayed in Smash or how many character are brought in a given series.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hector stare.png

I'd be pissed if we got a Three Houses character, are you kidding me?

Do we seriously need a 3rd (unique) Fire Emblem character that has gotten in not out of fan demand but purely out of recency bias and to promote the latest game in the series? I mean for YHVH's sake, we don't even know anything ABOUT this game's characters or plots or movesets or whatever.
Literally the only thing we have is "she's cute!" and "she can use an axe!"

This'll change when 3 Houses comes out and I come to like or dislike her, but right now? Hard pass.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Well, I think that's kind of funny actually, because that's one of the reasons I find this leak credible. Because all the previous "leaks" just listed whatever the most popular picks are (Geno, Ashley, King K. Rool, Heihachi, Sora, Waddle Dee), whereas the Gardevoir/Gothitelle leak is something that is too clever for some shmuck to make up.
It's really not.

We have the Neogaf leak that's saying that SOREN will be an Echo of Robin.

If your basis for thinking a leak is 'real' due to off the wall picks, Soren as a Robin echo is just as weird.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I said it before and I'll say it again.

I don't think it's hard to imagine someone scrolling down they psychic-type pokemon list on Serebii looking for potential echo candidates to make their fake Gardevoir leak look more credible. It's certainly not something only Sakurai could come up with. The only thing keeping most people from thinking about it is that most people don't even remember Gothitelle exist.

villager

Smash Rookie
I'm like 90% sure Custom Balance is just Handicaps and whatnot.
Nope, handicaps were seen on the rules menu. Custom Balance is something different entirely.

My guess is Custom Balance allows you to tweak mechanics such as Rage to make the intensity be extreme or nonexistent. (Turn rage up so high it starts kicking in at 1% or turn it off entirely.)

Toggling Custom Balance ON will quickly apply the custom balance settings you saved in a separate, more detailed menu.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To each their own I suppose. I've never cared all that much about the successful of a series when it comes to how they're portrayed in Smash or how many character are brought in a given series.
This is assuming this is the eye of the everyman or a child who only knows the big names only.
:ultmario:
"yeah mario, of course i know him"
:ultpikachu:
"i play pokemon go everyday"
:ultmarth:
"aw **** anime? wheres goku at?"

View attachment 158112

Do we seriously need a 3rd (unique) Fire Emblem character that has gotten in not out of fan demand but purely out of recency bias and to promote the latest game in the series? I mean for YHVH's sake, we don't even know anything ABOUT this game's characters or plots or movesets or whatever.

This'll change when 3 Houses comes out and I come to like or dislike her, but right now? Hard pass.
:ultroy: fire emblem is now my patented advertisement slot series :ultcorrin:
buy waifu simulator pls you can date your sister or something idk

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
View attachment 158112

The problem is that many (and I'd actually argue most) Fire Emblem fans in the west can only name FE characters from Awakening, Fates and Smash. You're just not going to get a huge reaction if you put in a character pre-Awakening. FE Heroes helps with that a bit, but again, I feel like a ton of modern FE fans don't even know what games most of these characters come from. Or even know that "Thracia 776" was the title of one of the games. It's an odd position to be in, considering most of the other franchises represented in Smash have equal billing in various parts of the world. Fire Emblem was exclusively Japanese for a long, long time.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Unpopular opinion: the green ‘spirits’ mode is going to be customs and how to unlock them.

Unpopular opinion in the form of a question: Which echo would you rather have, Classic Sonic, Metal Sonic, or Shadow?

Me? I think I’d prefer Metal Sonic.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Hot take - even though Rare were amazing in their heyday and they certainly have their place in history, their games have aged rather poorly and getting K Rool in (and sure, why not Dixie maybe) would be more than enough. Same with Spyro, same with Crash.

Gimme StarTropics. I'm old.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If it was a necessity he would've been added back in 2001.
Weren’t retro/popular/Nintendo enough back then I assume

Even I don't get Deathborn in Smash, I at least need these two songs remixed in Smash.

I would literally die happy if it happened
All Aurum songs must be in Smash Ultimate...especially Aurum Island
The problem is that many (and I'd actually argue most) Fire Emblem fans in the west can only name FE characters from Awakening, Fates and Smash. You're just not going to get a huge reaction if you put in a character pre-Awakening.
Lyn (and Alm/Celica if they can count) is the only exception to this

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Unpopular opinion: the green ‘spirits’ mode is going to be customs and how to unlock them.

Unpopular opinion in the form of a question: Which echo would you rather have, Classic Sonic, Metal Sonic, or Shadow?

Me? I think I’d prefer Metal Sonic.
Eh, I think I'd go with Shadow...

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Seeing as how nearly all of the new comers thus far have been character's either highly requested in the ballot, having received a mii skin, or just frequently requested chars in general, a rando pokemon actually gives it less credibility in my mind.

The only precedent I would see here is Richter. He is a character with a (relatively) low amount of support that received a spot because of echo versatility. However, from what I understand, Richter is more recognizable in japan/latin america than Simon is, so Sakurai was covering his Castlevania basses.

Gothitelle's introduction would be nothing more than a token echo for Gardevoir. I can find no reason why Sakurai would feel it'd add much. And no, Sakurai doesn't just add rando's for the heck of it. All his picks always have some purpose.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Weren’t retro/popular/Nintendo enough back then I assume

All Aurum songs must be in Smash Ultimate...especially Aurum Island

Lyn (and Alm/Celica if they can count) is the only exception to this
1. Lyn was introduced by the time when FE7 was still relatively recent. FE7 was 2003 if my memory serves right. Brawl was 2008. Not too long.
2. People only know Gaiden existed because the Gaiden remakes exist. I can guarantee you if FE4 gets the next remake the interest in Sigurd will skyrocket.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
PSA:
The datamine leak is likely fake, and all possible analysis on it has already been done.

Seriously guys. Please stop.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Literally every leak had Dark Samus and K.Rool on it. If you're going to give K.Rool and Dark Samus to this, you have to give it to 100 other 'leaks' as well.
You're missing the point here. These characters were all revealed alongside each other (Richter, Dark Samus, King K. Rool).

Shroob

Sup?
You're missing the point here. These characters were all revealed alongside each other (Richter, Dark Samus, King K. Rool).
And? K.Rool and "Chrom is a Roy Echo" were revealed alongside one another in the Neogaf leak.

Why should I believe this leak over the other?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Instead of investing in the Gothitelle leak I have some snake oil which might interest you more.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Dude, no offense. Can you not read?

----> :ultsimon: <----

That guy's very existence ****s on that "leak".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom