• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
BTW, Chrom is today's blog update. His final smash is named Awakening Aether. Missed opportunity to reference him finally getting his chance.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
At the end of the most recent franchise, there was a showcase of heroes vs villains (in a lead up to the K. Rool reveal). What major Nintendo franchise was missing? Pokemon.
Now, Pokemon doesn't have a real villain reflected in the current roster. I can think of one character who can fill that role (hint: it's not a Pokemon, per se).
Lusamine, specifically her fusion form. Evil intentions are there, the popularity of the character is there, and it bypasses the typical yawn that typically follows the announcement of another Pokemon rep.
I want it. It'll never happen but I want it.
She could use the Nihilego as part of her moveset.

Last edited:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I have a question for all of you! In your opinions what character(s) perfectly represent their game/franchise?? Right off the top of my head I’d say Pokemon trainer is one, Robin is another. Shoutouts to Fox and Samus (back in the day)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Ahem.
Casuals used customs.
I'm a casual and only used a single custom move; Dash Slash.

Everything else was literally like "meh"

I know they are coming back. Sakurai will probably balace them to give Smash diversity.
Don't claim that you "know" stuff. Being clairvoyant is my thing. Tell him, Goldilocks :V

Plus making them uniqe to the Miis is dumb.
Except it's not because Mii Fighters are the "create your fighter" archetype.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I have a question for all of you! In your opinions what character(s) perfectly represent their game/franchise?? Right off the top of my head I’d say Pokemon trainer is one, Robin is another. Shoutouts to Fox and Samus (back in the day)
My boi is BEAUTIFULLY represented although no one notices. Maybe if he picked up the eggs he laid and threw them, but that maybe a little OP...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm casual-competitive. I used customs all the time. I thought they were honestly really fun.

The issue isn't them being "boring" or whatever, it's that making that many is very difficult to balance and it makes sense for Sakurai to focus on other stuff while removing customs for everybody but Mii Fighters. This includes Custom Equipment. I'll miss Palutena's unique moveset options if it happens, though we don't know for sure if Customs are gone, just have a good reason to believe it.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I guarantee you customs are coming back.
Palutena probably has different customs.
She'll most likely have variations of what was shown off in her showcase back at E3. Plus, for evidence, the Mii Fighters still have all of their customs available (which was noted by confusing wording), and amiibo can be brought over from Wii U/3DS, most likely bringing their customs with them. There's no reason to get worked up just yet.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm casual-competitive. I used customs all the time. I thought they were honestly really fun.

The issue isn't them being "boring" or whatever, it's that making that many is very difficult to balance and it makes sense for Sakurai to focus on other stuff while removing customs for everybody but Mii Fighters. This includes Custom Equipment. I'll miss Palutena's unique moveset options if it happens, though we don't know for sure if Customs are gone, just have a good reason to believe it.
Not to mention unlocking them was sooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

"Hey, let's make it a gacha game where you can get a chance at getting a custome move instead of a trophy or equipment."

"Great idea! Let's make it so that you'll always get customs you already unlocked when you do get a chance to get one too!"

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Ahem.
Casuals used customs.

I know they are coming back. Sakurai will probably balace.

Customs make Smash diverse.

Plus making them uniqe to the Miis is dumb.
Casuals would not put in the time it takes to even unlock customs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
BTW, Chrom is today's blog update. His final smash is named Awakening Aether. Missed opportunity to reference him finally getting his chance.
Okay, it's not just me, some recent single character trailers have a much higher framerate than the earlier ones.

Also, Chrom's game of origin doesn't even get a Memories entry. The suffering never ends for him.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not to mention unlocking them was sooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

"Hey, let's make it a gacha game where you can get a chance at getting a custome move instead of a trophy or equipment."

"Great idea! Let's make it so that you'll always get customs you already unlocked when you do get a chance to get one too!"
That's a different issue and isn't as hard to fix compared to balance itself. Simply having it so you can't get the same custom move over and over again is a lot simpler in comparison than outright gameplay testing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And imagine the DLC from 4 who has to get customs too.

What the hell would :ultcloud::ultbayonetta: get? Imagine if :ultshulk:'s Power Counter got put on :ultcorrin:.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
That's a different issue and isn't as hard to fix compared to balance itself. Simply having it so you can't get the same custom move over and over again is a lot simpler in comparison than outright gameplay testing.
I feel like if they are bringing customs back, they'll all be available from the moment you start playing, just like the stages. It's a change that I'd personally be welcome to (as with many, many others other than I).

UltimateWario

Smash Master
They couldn’t even be assed to give the DLC characters custom moves. Not going to be surprised or remotely upset if they continue that trend.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bayonetta would just use different weapons.

Imagine Witch Twist with an electric weapon :troll:
1528385180218.gif

I just want Bayonetta to end up getting mid tier, I hate her so much. At least Meta Knight got the break he deserved from being **** on.

Iridium

Smash Hero
And imagine the DLC from 4 who has to get customs too.

What the hell would :ultcloud::ultbayonetta: get? Imagine if :ultshulk:'s Power Counter got put on :ultcorrin:.
Well, we know what :ultmewtwo: would have gotten, if you know what I'm referring to. :troll:

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I loved the idea of customs, but I feel they weren’t implemented properly.

I say they should just recycle some of the old customs and put them on the move sets of new echo characters.
Which they haven't even seemed to have done.

Lucina with the dashing variant of Sheild Breaker could've been really cool.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wow, so many fake leaks... I love reading through these sessions, but they get boring since they all indicate the same three characters.
I am sorry for bad grammar, I used Google Translate
I am sorry for bad "leak". I used 4chan.
LOOOOOL
Reply telling me you do if you actually see and read this.
Don't worry, I read these every time ;)
-Prince Fluff(Kirby)
Prince Fluff before BWD or Marx or Magolor? Tell me another one.
a new grass type pokemon will be playable on Ultimate (He thinks either Gardevoir or Decidueye)
This just in: Gardevoir retyped to grass.
Mushroom Kingdom from the original super smash bros will be making a return as well.
That's a weird prediction. Did he get it from the official site, considering that it was confirmed last week?

---

Azura shoulda been added to Smash over Corrin.
I'm not gonna argue there. I would have loved to see a waterbending dancing spearman, and I love her name Goddess of Dawn and Dusk FTW. Pity she probably can't get anything more than an assist at this point. Speaking of, where are the FE assists?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel like if they are bringing customs back, they'll all be available from the moment you start playing, just like the stages. It's a change that I'd personally be welcome to (as with many, many others other than I).
That too. It's far easier to solve the RNG portion(though I do like Custom Equipment being RNG-based as it allows for pretty fun and unique ones to show up) than anything else. Would be nice and kept simple. Rest is unlocking other stuff.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
More importantly, why do these characters always have these models on the character select screen. That's usually the number one thing off about it, right? I mean, look how everyone tries to make rosters are symmetrical as possible and then base Smash 4 just pukes on the idea.

D

Deleted member

Ain't been on this thread (or on SmashBoards for that matter) for quite a while...

Having never the seen the Direct (I want to buy the game and see it for myself after all) this game will not disappoint me. With a bigger roster than Tekken Tag Tournament 2, time to throw the biggest Pokèmon Battle tournament ever!!

Sa, tsuite wa...I wonder how the characters will be unlocked this time? I just know damn well Sakurai ain't gon' make us do several dozen unlock battles. That is just too cumbersome. I say they should be unlocked by spending a certain amount of gold on each character? That is how one unlocks some of the characters in Soul Calibur 4. Or maybe time-release the characters in a group according to when they debuted in this series? That said, having all 100+ stages by default is a first in the series, which is nice.

Sayonara :kirby:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The only custom I used was Marth's iai counter because it was a sick as hell.

Now if only there was a character that had an entire moveset based around that concept.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only custom I used was Marth's iai counter because it was a sick as hell.

Now if only there was a character that had an entire moveset based around that concept.
You want an entire character based around counter moves?
:ultbayonetta: just time every hit

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Baby's first blender model.
Also he has a snake.
why.
why does he have a snake.
It's from a sidequest of Majora's Mask. Skull Kid found objects from each of the four giants to encase parts of his soul, but he was one short when he went to kill Link, so he had to encase that soul fragment in his pet snake. Thus he keeps it with him at all times to protect the final Horcrux. QED

Sorry, I'm rereading Harry Potter right now and I just finished book 6.

D

Deleted member

I'm a casual and only used a single custom move; Dash Slash.
Oh, well okay.
Everything else was literally like "meh"
Customs were a great plan though. I loved the idea.
Don't claim that you "know" stuff. Being clairvoyant is my thing. Tell him, Goldilocks :V
Oh come on, I feel it within me.
Except it's not because Mii Fighters are the "create your fighter" archetype.
I know, but would it be wiser to give the characters customs?
You underestimate casuals. I am sure there are a lot of players who would want to unlock the moves.

We are getting customs. I know it.
You can probably use Customs in Classic Mode, other modes and maybe the "Spirits" mode.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I loved the idea of customs, but I feel they weren’t implemented properly.

I say they should just recycle some of the old customs and put them on the move sets of new echo characters.
hit the nail right on the head. I'm not going to use custom moves and chances are most people aren't, especially if they don't work online - I think it would be much better to recycle them and add them to characters people want in the game anyways and just flood the roster with echo's.

It's the last time we're gonna get a roster flood for a while.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
What do you think about the legality of the 4 new stages?

imo Moray Towers and New Donk City Hall are out of the question.

Great Plateau Tower might be banned due to the ceiling.

Dracula's Castle could become legal with hazards off but I need to see the whole stage. I think the left side is a walk-off though...

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Sort of random, but is anyone else irrationally bothered by Alph not being made into an echo fighter?
The Koopalings work great as alts. They're perfect the way they are.

But Alph really feels like he's getting the short end of the stick. He isn't even in the big character artwork.
Simon and Richter barely look any different at all. Would it really be that tough to just give Alph like ONE difference and make him an echo? It just sorta bugs me for some reason.

Like aside from the Koopalings, he's the only other character in the game that's an alt. It just feels weird now that Echoes are officially a thing.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Ain't been on this thread (or on SmashBoards for that matter) for quite a while...

Having never the seen the Direct (I want to buy the game and see it for myself after all) this game will not disappoint me. With a bigger roster than Tekken Tag Tournament 2, time to throw the biggest Pokèmon Battle tournament ever!!

Sa, tsuite wa...I wonder how the characters will be unlocked this time? I just know damn well Sakurai ain't gon' make us do several dozen unlock battles. That is just too cumbersome. I say they should be unlocked by spending a certain amount of gold on each character? That is how one unlocks some of the characters in Soul Calibur 4. Or maybe time-release the characters in a group according to when they debuted in this series? That said, having all 100+ stages by default is a first in the series, which is nice.

Sayonara :kirby:
I think they'll have multiple ways.

Wanna unlock the roster by doing a thousand matches? Go ahead.

Wanna try to experiment with the Classic Mode? Go ahead.

Wanna try that mysterious mode? Probably the best way to do it.

Using currency to unlock them, even if virtual, could potentially remove this feeling of discovery because you're not even making a damn effort to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom