• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've learned that AllCaps does make people think you're annoyed. Better to be careful. Might give the wrong impression.

Anyway, I doubt the Skull Kid thing is a real hint. I do want a full Zelda amiibo set, though...

D

Deleted member

From 4chan:

1534366198367.png

Also, someone else on there picked up on this:

intentional.JPG

Notice the random Crystal Skull sitting directly behind Sakurai? Look familiar?

Definitely reaching, since it's a blurry background. But it's about as much of a lead as the Isaac one, and the two chairs being Skull Kid. Somthing to argue about for the next 30 mins I guess.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So, I wondered how many legal stages we would have in Smash Ultimate, so I decided to look at all the stages that have been legal in the past to get an idea. For this list, I'm counting counterpicks as well.

-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Dream Land
-Hyrule Castle (Smash Wiki lists it as a technically legal stage due to players sometimes picking it via the gentleman's clause)
-Fountain of Dreams
-Pokemon Stadium
-Yoshi's Story
-Castle Siege
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Halberd
-Lylat Cruise
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Prism Tower
-Arena Ferox
-Town and City

That's 17 legal stages already, not counting the possible legality of any new stages we haven't seen so far.

For perspective, Smash 64 had 1 legal stage (technically 2, see the Hyrule Castle clause), Melee had 6, Brawl had 10 (and even then that was just because the stage list for Brawl was in contention a lot), 3DS and Wii U had 6 each.

If you count the stages that were only illegal because of Meta Knight (who has obviously been toned down since Brawl and is no longer a deciding factor in banning stages), then you have 3 extra legal stages from Brawl:

-Brinstar
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Rainbow Cruise

For a total of 20 legal stages in Ultimate, and 13 legal stages in Brawl.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Once again… I never said that such thing CONFIRMS him being in it. I don't know how many times, i definitely totally lost count, of when i said that this was easily a hint/tease to add to the pile of hints/teasing we've gotten about him. In no post of mine i ever said "this confirms him 100%". Feel free to check.
Even if you didn't say what I said of what I was supposed to think you said, I also doubt it hints at him either. I'm not sure why the UK division of Nintendo is gonna know the roster and the one intern who does goes to the guy who manages the social media and says "oi m8 go get your skull kid fig we're gonna make a sick ass pic with it"

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
From 4chan:

View attachment 158012

View attachment 158013

Definitely reaching, since it's a blurry background. But it's about as much of a lead as the Isaac one, and the two chairs being Skull Kid. Somthing to argue about for the next 30 mins I guess.
Sounds more plausible than the other things, but would Sakurai really hide them in plain sight like that? Even if they're blurry. I do want Banjo tho.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly, looking back at the first trailer, it definitely gave off the impression that roster decisions would seemingly be the same as Smash 4. Things are turning out a whole lot different from what initial expectations were.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Boxing Arena needs a third texture set that turns it into K.Rool's.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From 4chan:

View attachment 158012

View attachment 158013

Manly, I atually made that image, lol.

It's what I see.

I don't care if someone says it's wrong.

Noipoi

Howdy!
From 4chan:

View attachment 158012

View attachment 158013

I dunno...seems like a stretch to me. I'd love to be proven wrong though, Banjo and Kazooie are on my list of characters that won't happen but i'd still like to see.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Even if you didn't say what I said of what I was supposed to think you said, I also doubt it hints at him either. I'm not sure why the UK division of Nintendo is gonna know the roster and the one intern who does goes to the guy who manages the social media and says "oi m8 go get your skull kid fig we're gonna make a sick *** pic with it"
It's ok if you doubt it. Personally I don't think them knowing about Skull kid = knowing about the whole roster. It could possibly be that he is indeed the next reveal we could get. Or maybe they don't know, and maybe it's nothing. I just don't like to jump on right away and discard it, considering, again, the timming of how this character is getting teased and reported by leakers. That's the last thing i will say about this, which i kinda already did pages ago. I will move along now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
From 4chan:

View attachment 158012

View attachment 158013

If this is true, it's a ballsy move to leave them out in the open like that and hope most people won't notice.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Boxing Arena needs a third texture set that turns it into K.Rool's.
I'm suprised at no point did any character bring the lights down on him. Maybe Dixie will when she's revealed.
*He hoped out loud...*

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
From 4chan:

View attachment 158012

View attachment 158013

That's a skull? geez I can't make it out, it's way too blurry for me...

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I do think this whole """""""""""""""""""""""leak"""""""""""""""""""""""" (whatever that word even means anymore) mentality Smashboards is in right now is a bit annoying, but that's for another day.
The right thing to do: assume all leaks are fake and save yourself the trouble.
Hours of peoples' time saved! But of course leaks are fodder for discussion.

(The burden of proof is on the leaker. You know there is some b.s. going on when a dozens of 'leaks' get posted everyday.)

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
From 4chan:

View attachment 158012

View attachment 158013

I think the skull kid nintendo UK instagram pic is just them picking up on the fact people are talking about skull kid right now and probly not a direct hint.

but man the stuff behind sakurai, since the E3 video had a barrel and plant and rope ladder... stuff behind sakurai might be intentional as tin foil hat as that is

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
/v/ should have used the version of the image where I spelled "Shorts" wrong, lol

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Phil Spencer said he's Ok with Banjo in Smash, but the fact he even said that when the game was in development...Wouldn't he not be allowed to even talk about the possibility? I know he's the big boss over at Xbox, but you'd think he'd have to keep quiet on any topic regarding it.

TheGoobster

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3334-2994-8794
If we see a portrait of a star in the next direct that just shows Geno's in the game.

D

Deleted member

I think the skull kid nintendo UK instagram pic is just them picking up on the fact people are talking about skull kid right now and probly not a direct hint.

but man the stuff behind sakurai, since the E3 video had a barrel and plant and rope ladder... stuff behind sakurai might be intentional as tin foil hat as that is
The change in camera angle is 100% intentional I feel. It's the first time ever in the 10+ years Sakurai's been doing this stuff that we see his office from this specific angle.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
From 4chan:

View attachment 158012

View attachment 158013

I... really don't think so. This looks like a staged room rather than an actual office he actively uses, and most times the company doing the staging for video shoots is a separate company entirely. Nintendo likely paid some stagers to fill the room with stuff for a good shot, and they decided on loud, colorful chairs to fill the void on the right side of the screen, then filled the shelves with various books and knickknacks they had at the ready, which, once heavily blurred, could resemble something if you want it to.

I've worked in the industry for awhile now. I may not be in Japan, but I'd bet money they do things similarly there. Sakurai just walked into a room already prepared for him, sat at the desk and read his cue cards.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

I don't know man… if that was the case, they would be picking up everyone who are talking every day about wanting Waluigi, Ashley, etc to be in Smash, and i don't see them (nintendo) taking their time to be messing around with every fan desired character :laugh:. I rather call it a tease than a direct hint at this point. And as someone said, MM hasn't been getting marketed or promoted in any shape or form for a few years now. It's either absolutely random, or is a tease. 50/50 chance imo.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Wouldn't it be hilarious if for the next Smash direct Sakurai had a Dragon Ball themed background going on just to screw with all of us?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know man… if that was the case, they would be picking up everyone who are talking every day about wanting Waluigi, Ashley, etc to be in Smash, and i don't see them (nintendo) taking their time to be messing around with every fan desired character :laugh:. I rather call it a tease than a direct hint at this point. And as someone said, MM hasn't been getting marketed or promoted in any shape or form for a few years now. It's either absolutely random, or is a tease. 50/50 chance imo.
I'm ready to stick to my "new Wario characters that aren't related to Ashley or Waluigi" theory until the day the direct airs. You live in the plain and die in the plain.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I... really don't think so. This looks like a staged room rather than an actual office he actively uses, and most times the company doing the staging for video shoots is a separate company entirely. Nintendo likely paid some stagers to fill the room with stuff for a good shot, and they decided on loud, colorful chairs to fill the void on the right side of the screen, then filled the shelves with various books and knickknacks they had at the ready, which, once heavily blurred, could resemble something if you want it to.

I've worked in the industry for awhile now. I may not be in Japan, but I'd bet money they do things similarly there. Sakurai just walked into a room already prepared for him, sat at the desk and read his cue cards.
Now that I think about it the only time he actually recorded from his workplace was during the April 2014 Smash Direct. How we know this? He outright states that at the beginning of the presentation. It actually makes a lot of sense to use some sets with some random props in order to spice it up the background. Nobody misses the Iwata's white empty dimension.

D

Deleted member

Also fresh new information.
I've seen this before. And "likely" kills all his credibility, lol. The roster was finalized years ago, so if you got leaks, there's not "likely" they're either in or they're not. There's no inbetween. There's no reason to be saying "likely" unless you're trying to speculate and make a prediction, not if you were divulging conrete information.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Now that I think about it the only time he actually recorded from his workplace was during the April 2014 Smash Direct. How we know this? He outright states that at the beginning of the presentation. It actually makes a lot of sense to use some sets with some random props in order to spice it up the background. Nobody misses the Iwata's white empty dimension.
Yeah. I can't speak for Nintendo in particular, but MOST companies don't film for things in their own workspaces, or with in-house film crews. I've been in the furniture industry for a little over six years and we've actually rented out furniture for multiple Nintendo and Xbox commercials. The people renting them had no idea what it was they were even staging for, only that Nintendo/Microsoft had hired them to make a set to film a commercial/online video.

It's why I never believe that there are hints in the background of actual physical shots. Hints in the gameplay and cutscene footage? Possibly. The actual set where Sakurai/whomever is talking? I highly doubt it.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I've seen this before. And "likely" kills all his credibility, lol. The roster was finalized years ago, so if you got leaks, there's not "likely" they're either in or they're not. There's no inbetween. There's no reason to be saying "likely" unless you're trying to speculate and make a prediction, not if you were divulging conrete information.
I think most people believe this is fake. The text on the page could've easily been edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom