• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
1. We have absolutely no idea if there will be trophies in this game. You'd think we're hear them by now.
We have a small hint with the 'Vault' menu option... But I agree, it's strange we heard nothing about it, although I'm pretty sure they will be there in the end...

Enchess

Smash Lord
So...

I have realized two things...

1. We have absolutely no idea if there will be trophies in this game. You'd think we're hear them by now.
2. We have now idea if CDs are in the game. Will we unlock music or have it all at the start?
1. I would be incredibly sad to see trophies gone. That would definitely kill the "Nintendo museum" aspect almost entirely and that would just suck.
2. I hope we don't start with all music. I loved collecting CDs. It felt rewarding. And I know if we start with all music the first 2-3 days owning the game will just be me messing with the song probabilities to get them just right....
I'm weirdly obsessive with this. I've literally sat down for 3 hrs adjusting music settings in Brawl. And that was with CDs allowing me to spread it out. Please don't give me 800 songs immediately to tinker with

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think we're getting anything to ambitious as a side mode.

The 100+ stages seems like a result of not having to worry about a subspace emissary or a 3DS mode.

What we have is pure concentrated goodness

(and also hopefully Skull Kid)
Brawl and 3DS were the best selling Smash games so I'm curious about how not having their "load" will effect this game.

(Though trying to bring everything back is already a big responsibility and I can see it holding the final product back in some points)

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
We have a small hint with the 'Vault' menu option... But I agree, it's strange we heard nothing about it, although I'm pretty sure they will be there in the end...
Vaults has always had other modes/options within it other than trophies so i don't think that tells us anything.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh man, I didn't think I was around much for Smash 4 speculation but I didn't realize how many threads I owned

Dillon, Sukapon, Geno, Cheetahmen

Not to mention Dunsparce and Bidoof

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
1. I would be incredibly sad to see trophies gone. That would definitely kill the "Nintendo museum" aspect almost entirely and that would just suck.
2. I hope we don't start with all music. I loved collecting CDs. It felt rewarding. And I know if we start with all music the first 2-3 days owning the game will just be me messing with the song probabilities to get them just right....
I'm weirdly obsessive with this. I've literally sat down for 3 hrs adjusting music settings in Brawl. And that was with CDs allowing me to spread it out. Please don't give me 800 songs immediately to tinker with
Im personally okay with CD's not coming back if we can still unlock music from challenges and event matches (hope they come back as well (although they weren't the best in wiiu, need an event like 51 from melee)).

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Vaults has always had other modes/options within it other than trophies so i don't think that tells us anything.
That's actually true...
Still, I don't think they will get rid of them, at worst, they could replace them with something similar...

Enchess

Smash Lord
Im personally okay with CD's not coming back if we can still unlock music from challenges and event matches (hope they come back as well (although they weren't the best in wiiu, need an event like 51 from melee)).
I just need to have them locked in some way haha. If target test comes back, we can get a song for each target test, a song for a lot of the events, and a song whenever we unlock a character. That'll let us start with most songs and not rely on randomness for unlocks

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
So with Rathalos coming as a boss and assist trophy and showing off a Monster Hunter stage I for one believe that the next direct might reveal a Monster Hunter or Prowler as the next character. It makes sense to me.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I just need to have them locked in some way haha. If target test comes back, we can get a song for each target test, a song for a lot of the events, and a song whenever we unlock a character. That'll let us start with most songs and not rely on randomness for unlocks
To be honest, in my opinion, I'd rather keep CDs in the game, and add more ways to unlock them, whenever it be randomly appearing in Smash mode, getting one from an achievement, or randomly/100% sure getting it in Story Mode.

Yes, in Brawl if you grind, there is a chance of getting a CD in Subspace Emissary, but it's easier to drop and get trophies/stickers that same way too.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd rather just use the damn ingame currency than grind out this arbitrary RNG for the "sense of Pride and Accomplishment."

Noipoi

Howdy!
So with Rathalos coming as a boss and assist trophy and showing off a Monster Hunter stage I for one believe that the next direct might reveal a Monster Hunter or Prowler as the next character. It makes sense to me.
Maybe, but my line of thinking is why would they reveal the stage and the boss/assist trophy before the character? Wouldn't Sakurai want it to be a surprise?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The opposite.
It'd be ridiculously stupid to reveal a stage months before a character rather than both at once.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think that's a stage. It's probably just the arena you fight the boss in.

It's got absolutely no platforms, cliffs, etc.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I really doubt we are going to get a Monster Hunter character. Sakurai has never shown content from a series with a playabke character before the actual character. He even went the extra mile and gave the Punch-Out stage a generic skin before revealing Little Mac.

Also, Bomberman proves that Sakurai has no problem with third party AT from non playable series.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that's a stage. It's probably just the arena you fight the boss in.

It's got absolutely no platforms, cliffs, etc.
True. But we only got a brief glimpse. It could be a changing stage or maybe switches to different maps from Monster Hunter.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Doesn't Wii Fit stage is flat like that or am I forgetting something?
I never had the wii u version so IDK

It just reminded me of the earlier fight with Dracula and how his Castle during the fight is all flat with no platforms or anything

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So here is a theory that I've been thinking about in terms of how many more newcomers we are looking to get.

Smashdown is a new mode that Sakurai revealed will be a part of Super Smash Bros Ultimate and it involves players going through the roster and locking out previously used characters. From what we've seen this can go up to 4 players (could be potentially 8, but that isn't confirmed). What this suggests to me is that whatever the final roster is, it will have to be divisible be 3 and 4 so as to allow a full run of Smashdown to be possible.

Currently we have a total of 67 unique fighters. If we subtract the two extras form Pokemon Trainer we bring to total down to 65. Mii Fighters are not currently available in Smashdown (according to the Direct) so we can take 3 more from that total number, giving us 62. Now, adding in the echo fighters we are left with 68 total roster slots available for Smashdown. This number isn't currently divisible by both 3 and 4, the next number that is is 72.

So my reasoning is that the lowest possible number of characters we will be seeing is 4, which could be any combination of echoes and newcomers. The interesting point about this is that the next number after 72 that is divisible by 3 and 4 is 84! So if we get more than 4 characters for Smashdown to work we'd need a total of 16 more fighters, again in any combination of echoes and newcomers.

Now that seems crazy to me, but an interesting point to consider.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Doesn't Wii Fit stage is flat like that or am I forgetting something?
It does have edges, and random platforms appear. The Ranthalos stage is completely flat, with walkable edges.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
So here is a theory that I've been thinking about in terms of how many more newcomers we are looking to get.

Smashdown is a new mode that Sakurai revealed will be a part of Super Smash Bros Ultimate and it involves players going through the roster and locking out previously used characters. From what we've seen this can go up to 4 players (could be potentially 8, but that isn't confirmed). What this suggests to me is that whatever the final roster is, it will have to be divisible be 3 and 4 so as to allow a full run of Smashdown to be possible.

Currently we have a total of 67 unique fighters. If we subtract the two extras form Pokemon Trainer we bring to total down to 65. Mii Fighters are not currently available in Smashdown (according to the Direct) so we can take 3 more from that total number, giving us 62. Now, adding in the echo fighters we are left with 68 total roster slots available for Smashdown. This number isn't currently divisible by both 3 and 4, the next number that is is 72.

So my reasoning is that the lowest possible number of characters we will be seeing is 4, which could be any combination of echoes and newcomers. The interesting point about this is that the next number after 72 that is divisible by 3 and 4 is 84! So if we get more than 4 characters for Smashdown to work we'd need a total of 16 more fighters, again in any combination of echoes and newcomers.

True but if there ends up being only 1 character left maybe it'll make you both play that one? Idk

osby

Smash Obsessed

This point brought up multiple times and I'm wondering are we thinking too much?

Maybe mode will simply stop the session once there are less characters than players.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
This point brought up multiple times and I'm wondering are we thinking too much?

Maybe mode will simply stop the session once there are less characters than players.
That's certainly a possibility, but that seems like a weird and kinda anticlimactic way for it to end.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Or it might just let multiple players chose the same character.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

this is really interesting but a couple issues... in the direct they show it being played by four players with three characters left (i know unfinished build but still).

if you dont have all the characters unlocked could you play it? you wouldnt have a correct number til then end.

and then even worse if there is dlc you couldnt download just one dlc character AND there'd have to be 12... so im doubting that mode will require ALL characters to be played by the end...i think there can be some left overs

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Maybe the losers will be kicked out when there's not enough characters?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think before going into Smashdown you'll pick how many rounds it lasts until reset. The question is, if Echos count as seperate or not and if you can control that (switch to stacked characters to stop that one guy who's good at Marth from just going Marth, Roy, Lucina, Chrom for example)

And I'm not sure, but is 4 players the maximum?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was looking through the Smash 4 Geno tread and I found this

IMG_1310.png
Some Nintendo artist, I have no idea who because it wasn't posted, drew a picture of Geno in 2015. That's an interesting year. Lol

I don't have any information about it because none was given. But the people in the thread at the time knew about it.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think before going into Smashdown you'll pick how many rounds it lasts until reset. The question is, if Echos count as seperate or not and if you can control that (switch to stacked characters to stop that one guy who's good at Marth from just going Marth, Roy, Lucina, Chrom for example)

And I'm not sure, but is 4 players the maximum?
In the trailer we see that echoes are separated. But again, the best solution would be let multiple players pick the same character. It would be the best solution, since nobody is kicked out and Sakurai isn't limited to reach a certain amount of character that can be divisible by 3 and 4.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I was looking through the Smash 4 Geno tread and I found this

Some Nintendo artist, I have no idea who because it wasn't posted, drew a picture of Geno in 2015. That's an interesting year. Lol

I don't have any information about it because none was given. But the people in the thread at the time knew about it.
Wait, Super Mario Kun featured Geno...

in 2009?!!!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Smashdown will have to have some way to handle the characters not dividing out. There will be DLC, people might play it without unlocking all of the characters, and it will probably be compatible with 8 player smash and the smallest number that would be divisible by every possible player count is 840 which seems like an overly optimistic roster estimation to me.

What we don't know is if Smashdown even prevents dittos at all. If it merely removes characters used in the previous match without forbidding dittos, there's no divisibility problem. Even if there's only one character left at the end, that just means every player must use that character in the final game. If dittos are generally forbidden and there's some selection order stuff in place to guarantee orderly character picking, then whoever has to pick from the pool of zero characters probably either resets into the next Smashdown round and gets the massive benefit of a fresh selection or just is forced redundantly into whatever the last pool of characters was to double up (like in a 3 player Smashdown, if the last two characters are Lucario and Pit, p1 picks freely, p2 gets the other, p3 also picks freely between Lucario and Pit). I don't think it will be a huge issue, but certainly, an evenly numbered roster would be quite the positive.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Welp, been a while but now I finally finished it.

Here is my newcomer wishlist for Ultimate post-Direct.

Smash Ultimate wishlist post direct.png

Yes, I know there's more 3rd Party characters then Nintendo ones but that's only because my wanted Ninty newcomers are either already in or deconfirmed, plus I'm personally not interested in viable candidates like Isabelle or Elma but I wouldn't care if they happened so think of this more as a dream line-up.

Why is Crash representing green?
1. K.Rool's already in.
2. No one I wanted that much had green as their primary color.
3. Green represents the island and jungle them of Crash's games.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Welp, been a while but now I finally finished it.

Here is my newcomer wishlist for Ultimate post-Direct.

View attachment 157723
Yes, I know there's more 3rd Party characters then Nintendo ones but that's only because my wanted Ninty newcomers are either already in or deconfirmed, plus I'm personally not interested in viable candidates like Isabelle or Elma but I wouldn't care if they happened so think of this more as a dream line-up.

Why is Crash representing green?
1. K.Rool's already in.
2. No one I wanted that much had green as their primary color.
3. Green represents the island and jungle them of Crash's games.
I'm more confused by yellow Ken.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I feel like an archeologist that's discovering things from the ancient past: 3 whole years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom