• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
It's worth mentioning that while Camelot is indeed popular for that JRPG style angle of combat, many other games have done it. It's not exactly uncommon.
View attachment 157701
View attachment 157702
View attachment 157703
View attachment 157704

Of course, that's assuming that even is a hint to begin with.
While I'm hopeful it turns out to be a hint for something grander, I'd temper my expectations.
To be honest, none of these are even close to the Golden Sun/Camelot angel. Maybe the FF7 one but even that's kind of stretching it. I agree with the other poster 100%. If it's a reference, it's to Golden Sun.

Shroob

Sup?
Whoever the supposed Square rep is, I don't think it's going to be a FF character, which FF one the music screen being FF7

I think that really only leaves Geno, Sora, and to a lesser extent Chrono.

Assuming the leak HAS any merit...
At the very least, we can confirm the riddle part and the addition of all the 3rd party newcomers+Galacta+Sable was done by a 2nd individual.

The first part still stands today, the biggest piece of merit to it being the Roy=Chrom part.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Remember me noticing the crazy amount of range on Richter's u-smash? Well, this image sums it up well, with his whip ending right at Lucas. His u-smash seems to almost occupy two character pllacements. The hitbox could be very thin, though.
I imagine the set-ups for those two are going to be difficult to adapt to. Especially with air dodge lag.

Iridium

Smash Hero
To be honest, none of these are even close to the Golden Sun/Camelot angel. Maybe the FF7 one but even that's kind of stretching it. I agree with the other poster 100%. If it's a reference, it's to Golden Sun.
Hey, don't you run some meme account on Twitter? I've seen you before . . .

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Whether Isaac is in or not, I really think that screen cap was grabbed because it looks pretty cool.

I mean, we're free to speculate however we want and he might very well make it in but I don't think Sakurai leaves clues laying around like that.

Enchess

Smash Lord
That's an argument people have been making? I'm quite curious to know what those are (not trying to spark arguments, just curious)
Ike U-air and Diddy tail attacks keep getting brought up from time to time. Ike's (apparently) hints at Black Knight. I know I heard at least one other but can't remember it atm (full disclosure: I believe Diddy's actually is for Dixie so I'm a hypocrite)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Worst case scenario, the screenshot IS a reference to Golden Sun... because Smash Bros games already have subtle references, not because it's hinting at further Golden Sun content. Like ZSS's Classic Mode clear being a Bayonetta reference before Bayonetta was added.

Shroob

Sup?
What if there IS no Isabelle?

The way Verg sprung Isabelle out of ****ing nowhere has always been really odd to me, especially when he basically said that "Now every leak is going to include her"

It honestly feels like this was intentional. Maybe Isabelle is NOT in the game as this was a way to smoke out fake leaks?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

The way Verg sprung Isabelle out of ****ing nowhere has always been really odd to me, especially when he basically said that "Now every leak is going to include her"

It honestly feels like this was intentional. Maybe Isabelle is NOT in the game as this was a way to smoke out fake leaks?
That'd be some 4D chess there considering there were apparent people "With inside information" saying the lack of Isabella is how they'd smoke out fake leaks.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Just for the heck of it, I'm just gonna throw this out there: if Shadow is an echo of Sonic, I will main him if and only if they reference and/or mock his gunslinging phase in the promotional materials (this is coming from someone who genuinely enjoys Shadow's game, let the rabid elitists eat me alive).

Enchess

Smash Lord

If it was a way to smoke out fake leaks, it wasn't very effective. It's not like Verg was anywhere near first leak to include her.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Its a little late for a full on Subspace Emissary (maybe DLC?) but an upgraded adventure mode would be great.
Take Melee's adventure mode and inject it with steroids.
I want bosses and cutscenes like Subspace, and every single other thing taken from Melee's Adventure mode instead

TheGoobster

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3334-2994-8794
Its a little late for a full on Subspace Emissary (maybe DLC?) but an upgraded adventure mode would be great.
Take Melee's adventure mode and inject it with steroids.
What do you mean "A little too late"?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ike U-air and Diddy tail attacks keep getting brought up from time to time. Ike's (apparently) hints at Black Knight. I know I heard at least one other but can't remember it atm (full disclosure: I believe Diddy's actually is for Dixie so I'm a hypocrite)
Ooo, I just thought of one...

Yoshi has a new ftilt where he whips his tail behind and upwards instead of around like in Smash 4. Now if you ask me, that seems kinda lewd for an innocent Yoshi to be doing, unless...

It's something Boshi would do!!! Boshi confirmed!!!

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

verge is saying isabelle is from the same source he got simon from. seems likely he may have done it as a way to test leaks to me...

i mean who knows but thats a decent theory of why he said it and is making it seem super likely. could go either way i guess.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I hope the music for the day is the new remix of Gangplank Galleon

Noipoi

Howdy!
What do you mean "A little too late"?
Well, Subspace Emissary took up a lot of time and this game is out in 4 months, I dunno if Sakurai had enough time to implement it.
The cutscenes, the level design, the story (or lack thereof), these things eat up huge chunks of development time.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So, I was rewatching parts of the Direct, and I noticed for the first time that Dr. Mario apparently has a different cape animation than Mario.

It looks lik he swings his cape higher, so maybe it's better? Sorry if this has already been pointed out, it's just that I think this is pretty interesting, especially as a member of the Doc Side.

TheGoobster

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3334-2994-8794
Well, Subspace Emissary took up a lot of time and this game is out in 4 months, I dunno if Sakurai had enough time to implement it.
The cutscenes, the level design, the story (or lack thereof), these things eat up huge chunks of development time.
I'm pretty sure they have been working on ultimate for about 2 years or so. So i'd be pretty surprising to see no subspace.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I highly doubt we're getting a story mode on the scope of SSE again, however they would have been developing it from the beginning, just because they haven't revealed it yet doesn't mean they haven't been working on it.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure they have been working on ultimate for about 2 years or so. So i'd be pretty surprising to see no subspace.
You, and anyone else expecting a huge story mode, shouldn't get your hopes up. Since the beginning, Sakurai has made it very, very clear that including this number of characters, stages, music, and other content is a massive undertaking. Brawl's story mode leeched colossal amounts of resources and time with a roster less than half the size of Ultimate's and there weren't any newcomer trailers to write or produce.

Spirits may turn out to be a story mode, but it's not going to be anything near Subspace's complexity or length. I'd say any story mode included in this game is going to have more in common with Melee's Adventure Mode than Brawl's.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I highly doubt we're getting a story mode on the scope of SSE again, however they would have been developing it from the beginning, just because they haven't revealed it yet doesn't mean they haven't been working on it.
I suppose so, honestly i'm mostly trying to not get my hopes up.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I also think we should take note of the cinematic quality Smash4/Ultimate trailers have had. This kinds of tells me any resources they have to do this kind of stuff is going to the trailers, not a sequel to the short film that was SSE. Just something to keep in mind.

Edit: 3069, Nice

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Well, losing the Richter part the Neogaf leak is not a very big deal, Chrom was speculated enough for a lucky guess since the Robin Final Smash was missing.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

I have realized two things...

1. We have absolutely no idea if there will be trophies in this game. You'd think we're hear them by now.
2. We have now idea if CDs are in the game. Will we unlock music or have it all at the start?

Noipoi

Howdy!
So...

1. We have absolutely no idea if there will be trophies in this game. You'd think we're hear them by now.
2. We have now idea if CDs are in the game. Will we unlock music or have it all at the start?
1. I am 360% sure trophies are still in, why wouldn't they be?
2. I'm actually not to sure about CDs, but I think they'll be in too.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
So...

honestly im guessing the spirits mode (if it is called that) might involve getting the spirits of characters back and turning "trophies" into playable fighters and thats why we havent seen trophies yet.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Subspace Emissary was promoted as a mode but it was essentially its own game, sharing only characters, bosses and items. A similar mode would be way too difficult to do with 70+ plus characters.
If we have a new mode, it'll more along the lines of Melee's Adventure mode (but for the sake of all things holy, make it less linear).

Enchess

Smash Lord
Rewatched Simon reveal and gotta put something out there: why was Luigi trying to fight the mummy in such a weird way? Why have the poltergust and not vacuum or use elemental sprays?

Assuming hints.were dropped in the trailers (unsafe, I know), he does 2 things to fight: flash some strobe repeatedly with sound that I swear sounded just like a camera flash to me (why doesn't he just use a flashlight normally like in Luigi's Mansion??) and fire a plunger. Both of these if hints could only really point to two things: Fatal Frame and Rabbids reps.

So I think these can all be put in one category of "hints" where each one shown makes the others seem more likely:
1. Isaac (Rathalos pic. IMO strongest "hint" as the resemblance is very strong to GS and it's really not similar looking to the other examples people give. I rate high chance of hint)
2. Skull Kid (Furniture. The chairs by themselves are weak, but the couch and pillow just go perfectly with them. I rate moderate chance of hint)
3. Geno (picture facing camera. It really looks like him to me. But I rate low chance of hint still)
4. Rabbids (plunger. I didn't do all of Dark Moon, so unless it's a reference there this is really out of place for Luigi to use. I rate tiny chance of hint largely cuz I don't see Rabbids happening)
5. FF rep (camera flashes. Again, I didn't like Dark Moon or play it very much, so correct me if reference there. It's really weird he's not doing normal flashlight flashes to me. Miniscule chance of hint)

If FF Rep and/or Rabbids rep revealed, I'll take it as huge evidence the rest really are hints, but if Isaac is next revealed, Ill take it as weak evidence since his hint is so much more obvious and seems more clearly intentional. Anyway, just wanted to tinfoil hat

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
How about they bring back the bios from 64 instead? Where we view models of the characters showcasing various animations, moves, and victory poses?

Dunno about how'll regard non-fighters but I'm digging a killer remix of this:

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't think we're getting anything to ambitious as a side mode.

The 100+ stages seems like a result of not having to worry about a subspace emissary or a 3DS mode.

What we have is pure concentrated goodness

(and also hopefully Skull Kid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom