• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
The male:female ratio in Smash is pretty bad yeah, so I would really appreciate more female fighters
I personally think it isn’t a smash problem but a video game problem. Plus half of the female characters made are created to be suggestive. Wayyy too suggestive for smash.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don’t think moveset potential was what prevented Ashley, I just think that they wanted to focus on other fan favorites first like Skull Kid, and since she wasn’t feasible as an Echo it wouldn’t have worked out.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who absolutely hates the idea of Gothelite being an Echo? I've seen everyone talk about Gardevoir, but I despise Gothetilite's design

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as playing with genders go, while I am for equal opportunity, I don't really care whether it matters or not, I just want characters that are noteworthy in some way. That said, Dixie Kong can be said to be another iconic classic game heroine to add, since she even was the main character for one DKC game.

I think the most devastating disconfirmation so far was Ashley, she had a lot going for her and there was a lot of hype for her inclusion, only for her to be unofficially shown off at the Direct and not even be mentioned by name...

It was a devastating blow towards her fanbase as well due to drama surrounding her inclusion.
Ehhh I figure Nintendo probably doesn't enjoy having young girls fight it out with older, muscular men. It's kinda different for Ness/Lucas because they're fighters in their own series, but I don't remember Ashley having been a fight in any Warioware game.
On the plus side, most of the rest of the Wario Ware cast typically are older than Ashley, so if anyone else made it over her it would make up for it.

Unless they, for some insane reason, think it wouldn't be worth doing unless Ashley HAS to be included to the roster at the same time.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm a guy who likes to play as girls...if I like the character and moveset.

That being said, I think it was really nice getting so many girls last game, it showed there are a lot of important/interesting female characters around. And Ultimate already gave us Daisy, Leaf, Inkling and Pikachu. I wouldn't object more (I want Dixie and Isabelle) but this is already far better than what we got in Brawl.
I want Isabelle more than anything. But why mention Pikachu? I get that Pikachu could be male or female, but Pikachu has always been in the game. Or do you mean how Pikachu now has a heart-shaped tail?

Am I the only one who absolutely hates the idea of Gothelite being an Echo? I've seen everyone talk about Gardevoir, but I despise Gothetilite's design
I wouldn't say you're the only one, but I'm probably the only one who'd prefer Gothitelle over Gardevoir

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
When you consider that Ashely is a side character in a spin-off franchise for a side character you then realize that she didn't have much of a shot at all. All of that on top of Wario already repping WarioWare and the franchise in general not being taken too seriously. Maybe next Smash or DLC very far down the line, but it would've been weird to see Ashely next to Simon, K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Inkling, etc.

D

Deleted member

I personally think it isn’t a smash problem but a video game problem. Plus half of the female characters made are created to be suggestive. Wayyy too suggestive for smash.
Yeah, I agree, though it's not like Sakurai doesn't have plenty of female characters to add, they're simply not as relevant as the male ones from their own games for the most part.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Says you!

Asuka for Smash.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
We have not seen echoes cross series yet. Does not mean it cannot happen, but the 5 we have are within series. That limits warioware to someone like wario.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Chun Li is probably one the least risque female characters in gaming.

Only internet pervs have warped her. Otherwise the games just treat her as first a young girl on a quest for vengeance and then as admired street fighter and police woman.

She's not lewd or sexualized outside of fan art.

Street Fighter games have T ratings for other characters and potentially even other female characters like Juri or Menat, etc, but certainly not because of Chun Li.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I personally want more females then I want villains, you can honestly not have too many female characters in Smash and more would be welcome.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean I usually pick my own gender because there are some really hot male characters in smash especially with Richter being in the game. But I enjoy hopping around with Skeik every now and then.
*after losing nth time with Robin/Little Mac* Why do I even play these guys?
*sees this* Yeah, okay, I remembered.

Why all guys so happy Richter is in the game, including me?

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
"I usually pick my own gender because there are hot guys in Smash"
*has Ness and Greninja among their mains*

UMMMMMM.

(I'm obviously kidding, I know what you actually meant)
It gets me excited to play. What can I say

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Yeah, I agree, though it's not like Sakurai doesn't have plenty of female characters to add, they're simply not as relevant as the male ones from their own games for the most part.
I appreciate the choice options of male/female robin, villager, corrin, wii fit trainer.

Speaking of, why is female corrin amiibo 100 bucks, while male corrin is 10. I hope they rerelease her.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Everyone MUST wear burkas, this is the only solution.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Only internet pervs have warped her. Otherwise the games just treat her as first a young girl on a quest for vengeance and then as admired street fighter and police woman.

Street Fighter games have T ratings for other characters and potentially even other female characters like Juri or Menat, etc, but certainly not because of Chun Li.
Downloaded many Chun Li costumes?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I Got Three Wishes

Bring Back Rainbow Road
Put Rayman In Smash Ultimate
Please Change Peach Final Smash She's Needs It Really Badly
My 3 wishes for Ultimate?

1. Add the Japanese VAs in language options.
2. Bring back the Board the Platforms mode.
3. Bring back unique Break the Target mode.

Now on the discussion of Pokemon

Let's say you were the person to introduce two new Pokemon into Ultimate. One Pokemon must be from Gen 1 that would be considered the Final Gen 1 Pokemon to ever be in Smash for the next 20 years or so. The other Pokemon you introduce must be outside of Gen 1. Who would you pick?

Gen 1: Gengar

Non Gen 1: Sceptile
Gen 1: Definitely Gengar.
Non Gen 1: Buzzwole.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think the most devastating disconfirmation so far was Ashley, she had a lot going for her and there was a lot of hype for her inclusion, only for her to be unofficially shown off at the Direct and not even be mentioned by name...

It was a devastating blow towards her fanbase as well due to drama surrounding her inclusion.
Ashley and Bomberman were the biggest ones imo

Bomberman looks like so much fun and so much potential to be played as....only to get crushed so quickly at E-3

Pakky

Smash Hero
*burqas
You know what I mean. My little cousins weren’t allowed to buy bayonetta because of it and she’s fully clothed.
Bayonetta is a M rated game.

I think you're missing the forest for the trees

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I don’t think moveset potential was what prevented Ashley, I just think that they wanted to focus on other fan favorites first like Skull Kid, and since she wasn’t feasible as an Echo it wouldn’t have worked out.
I'm going to be real, I still think it's a prominence sort of thing. I mean if it were a real deal thing, then why are we getting Characters like K.Rool, Ridley, and Simon and not Waluigi, Ashley, or Lloyd? They're both popular, but they have much more prominence in their franchise as MC's or villians. Echos are out of the question when it does come to prominence though, since Daisy did get in. But I think the newcomers we see may be a bit more involved in their franchises.

Not to dunk on these fans, but I'm just saying that you may want to hold ya'lls breaths for this game since I think that more popular series and more prominent characters are more likely to appear than others. It's kind of the reason that I have a suspension that Deathborn could make it, even if he's not popular at all... Goroh has been hard disconfirmed via AT and Falcon's rivals are few, mostly Black Shadow is popular but only for the reason that he'd be a perfect Echo for Falcon. I do get the feeling that we might get some villains who are complementary to their own franchises that are less popular as well, like Eggman. But then again, the third party rule may not apply to Echoes... which I do hope is false... because why wouldn't they show off Shadow or Black Shadow if they're the most expected out of their franchises tbh. In fact, Dark Samus was also held off from the E3 Direct until Ridley got revealed... so I assume there might be a little trickery going on around some parts...

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

"Chun Li isn't risque."

In terms of personality? Sure. The same could be said of a lot of female characters.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I want Isabelle more than anything. But why mention Pikachu? I get that Pikachu could be male or female, but Pikachu has always been in the game. Or do you mean how Pikachu now has a heart-shaped tail?

I wouldn't say you're the only one, but I'm probably the only one who'd prefer Gothitelle over Gardevoir
Yep, we only now have a female Pikachu.

And, while I prefer Gothorita, Gothitelle is great, you're not alone.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When you consider that Ashely is a side character in a spin-off franchise for a side character you then realize that she didn't have much of a shot at all. All of that on top of Wario already repping WarioWare and the franchise in general not being taken too seriously. Maybe next Smash or DLC very far down the line, but it would've been weird to see Ashely next to Simon, K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Inkling, etc.
If anything, it would make more sense to have the older characters (circa Mega Microgames) get in first. Maybe Mona and/or Jimmy to start with, at most.

In the meantime, K. Rool levels of support are necessary.

Says you!

Asuka for Smash.
Personally, I prefer Katsuragi. Even if it means she'd have to button up her shirt for once in her life. Homura would be good too.

Now vote goemon. He is just as good as bomberman.
Plus he was one the BIGGEST Konami mascots in Japan, who even got a few games brought over. That's an elephant in the room if I've ever seen one.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Yeah Chun Li is the best possible addition to the cast when it comes to female characters. Like, she's one of the most iconic female video game characters. Name any other girl as iconic as her who isn't already in the game
Mai shirinui. But she is snk.
Morrigan from dark stalkers.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also no I don't download any alternate Street Fighter costumes because again:

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I find his design pleasing. There is a difference in what we are talking about. And i cannot post pictures from this phone.

But there is a difference between ugly and pleasing. Need to clarify that.
So...no BFF? I’m sorry, I just assumed everyone else also lost their lunch when he faced the screen. :p

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Yeah Chun Li is the best possible addition to the cast when it comes to female characters. Like, she's one of the most iconic female video game characters. Name any other girl as iconic as her who isn't already in the game
Jill Valentine from Resident Evil?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm going to be real, I still think it's a prominence sort of thing. I mean if it were a real deal thing, then why are we getting Characters like K.Rool, Ridley, and Simon and not Waluigi, Ashley, or Lloyd? They're both popular, but they have much more prominence in their franchise as MC's or villians. Echos are out of the question when it does come to prominence though, since Daisy did get in. But I think the newcomers we see may be a bit more involved in their franchises.

Not to dunk on these fans, but I'm just saying that you may want to hold ya'lls breaths for this game since I think that more popular series and more prominent characters are more likely to appear than others. It's kind of the reason that I have a suspension that Deathborn could make it, even if he's not popular at all... Goroh has been hard disconfirmed via AT and Falcon's rivals are few, mostly Black Shadow is popular but only for the reason that he'd be a perfect Echo for Falcon. I do get the feeling that we might get some villains who are complementary to their own franchises that are less popular as well, like Eggman. But then again, the third party rule may only apply to Echoes... which I do hope is false... because why wouldn't they show off Shadow or Black Shadow if they're the most expected out of their franchises tbh. In fact, Dark Samus was also held off from the E3 Direct until Ridley got revealed... so I assume there might be a little trickery going on around some parts...
The third party rule may only apply to Echoes? What do you mean? Both first party and third party newcomers and echoes have been shown

Yep, we only now have a female Pikachu.

And, while I prefer Gothorita, Gothitelle is great, you're not alone.
Yeah, I prefer Gothorita over Gothitelle as well, and I like them both more than Kirlia and Gardevoir. But if we got a female Pikachu does that mean we can get a male Jigglypuff, since Jigglypuff has a 25% chance of being male? Just kidding, that'll never happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom