• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Yeah Chun Li is the best possible addition to the cast when it comes to female characters. Like, she's one of the most iconic female video game characters. Name any other girl as iconic as her who isn't already in the game
Lara Croft

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah Chun Li is the best possible addition to the cast when it comes to female characters. Like, she's one of the most iconic female video game characters. Name any other girl as iconic as her who isn't already in the game
...Tifa Lockhart?
Also Lara Croft, Nethermoosen Nethermoosen . But only if it's the original Lara. :laugh:
Asuka from Senran Kagura? I think Yumi would have a better chance since she's more popular
But Kuon, Asuka's the main character.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
The third party rule may only apply to Echoes? What do you mean? Both first party and third party newcomers and echoes have been shown
Yeah meant to say may not only, I was saying that we have Simon and his echo Ritcher. However, Alucard, another popular character, was an AT

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Still holding out some hope for the pirate princess from my childhood (AKA, Tetra) to join the battle.

At this rate though, I'll consider it lucky to see her as an Assist Trophy. But if by any chance she is playable, I don't think I'd be able to properly express how happy I'd be (at least not until the initial hype passed).

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So...no BFF? I’m sorry, I just assumed everyone else also lost their lunch when he faced the screen. :p
No bff. But he is something to look at. Granted, perception of beauty and acceptable appearance are different for men and women.

It also falls to preference.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Someone please feed Agumon, the poor guy looks like he's starving:

Let me guess...an animal rights wacko thought it'd be a great idea to give a fire-breathing T-Rex a Vegan diet?

At least Pikachu's a mouse, which will eat just about anything but prefer fruits and nuts. Especially peanut butter. Works much better than cheese.

Back on topic, perhaps the reason Street Fighter has so many new tracks might be because they intend on sharing a couple in common with a Tekken rep, possibly even Heihachi? And keep in mind too that there is a bit of a precedent before; I believe Fire Emblem back in Brawl had Golden Sun music (either that, or it was Port Town Aerodive).

Still, I'm trying to rack around the idea that we could get characters from newly represented IP's after we had seen the full music menu. And since the music tracks in general would come from the stages rather than the characters, I have no idea how that would work. And yet at the same time, the teases for Isaac seem far too strong for my liking. Maybe a bit of a tease for Karate Joe in DK's trailer, but I digress.

If I have to take a guess, we're probably going to get Isaac and Skull Kid next month; Incineroar and Heihachi the next; and finally, Karate Joe and Geno in the last.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
...Tifa Lockhart?
Also Lara Croft, Nethermoosen Nethermoosen . But only if it's the original Lara. :laugh:

But Kuon, Asuka's the main character.
True, she is, but Yumi's popularity in Japan is far greater than Asuka. Of course, I don't see either of them getting in the game, since it's not a very well known series world-wide

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Lara Croft

Tracer in just the few short years Overwatch has been out. She was standing right next to Chun Li and Lara in their cameos in Ready Player One for example.

Jill Valentine

Yuna from Final Fantasy 10

Aerith and TIfa from FF7.

Lightning was pushed so hard by Square she kind of became iconic.

Nina Williams.

Sonya Blade.

Ivy Valentine.

Commander Shephard if you count avatars.

D.Va became so popular she became the face of a Korean women's movement.

There's a good chunk of potential female reps that are iconic not just Chunners.

But I'll agree Lara Croft and Chun Li are probably the biggest gaming females not in that would be good additions to the cast.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I actually realized that nobody is saying Arale from Puyo Puyo, especially since she's such a popular Japanese character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I agree, but you have to be at least somewhat realistic. :laugh:
Check da post again, I suggested a second choice.

I actually realized that nobody is saying Arale from Puyo Puyo, especially since she's such a popular Japanese character.
Her impact's currently somewhat limited here, since Puyo Puyo Tetris is the one big release (which is recent) that introduced her to the West aside from the 3D Classics port of Tsu.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If Smash 4 was the game where we got several female newcomers, will Smash Ultimate be the game where we get several newcomer villains?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
No bff. But he is something to look at. Granted, perception of beauty and acceptable appearance are different for men and women.

It also falls to preference.
They captured the essence of repugnance and debauchery. The very form of pity and repulsiveness in one short, squat, singular design. The beauty of it is that it’s goal to induce regurgitation has been perfected. The glory of disturbing even the iron guts of the world. And it’s name....is Wario.

osby

Smash Obsessed
True, she is, but Yumi's popularity in Japan is far greater than Asuka. Of course, I don't see either of them getting in the game, since it's not a very well known series world-wide
Jigglypuff gender isn't clear so you can think it whatever you like. I personally think the one with the sleeping hat is a boy.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Idk if I’d like chun li in smash just because I’d start rapping the Nicki Minaj song while I was playing as her and lose focus of what I was doing

Nicki Minaj for smash

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
If we were going to get a female character, Chun Li would be the best choice. Reasonably adaptable moveset, guarantees a T rating and if development time doesn't allow (which it likely wouldn't) then she could just be a Ryu echo that nobody would see coming.
Well Chun-Li is one of the most iconic female characters within the fighting game genre. So if they would want a unique character from the SF series, then she would most likely to be the main candidate (yet there is a possibility that she could be an assist trophy) otherwise they could just put Ken/Akuma or even Sakura as Ryu's echo character.

On the NeoGAF leak - I compared the two posts that this leaker claimed and I feel something doesn't seem right.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Lara Croft

Tracer in just the few short years Overwatch has been out. She was standing right next to Chun Li and Lara in their cameos in Ready Player One for example.

Jill Valentine

Yuna from Final Fantasy 10

Aerith and TIfa from FF7.

Lightning was pushed so hard by Square she kind of became iconic.

Nina Williams.

Sonya Blade.

Ivy Valentine.

Commander Shephard if you count avatars.

D.Va became so popular she became the face of a Korean women's movement.

There's a good chunk of potential female reps that are iconic not just Chunners.

But I'll agree Lara Croft and Chun Li are probably the biggest gaming females not in that would be good additions to the cast.
Sniff someone understands.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's not a very well known series... but it is infamous. :laugh:
Check da post again, I suggested a second choice.
Murasaki or... bust... *snrk*
Arale, you say?

N'cha!

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah meant to say may not only, I was saying that we have Simon and his echo Ritcher. However, Alucard, another popular character, was an AT
Oh yeah. I don't think we'd ever get three characters from the same 3rd party all in one game. We'd probably only get a newcomer and his or her echo. However, DLC may be a different story.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Idk if I’d like chun li in smash just because I’d start rapping the Nicki Minaj song while I was playing as her and lose focus of what I was doing

Nicki Minaj for smash
Ah, yes. The Nicki Minaj song where she felt like a villain in her own genre and used a whole list of iconic non villain female characters to represent how she felt.

A good song.

I like Nicki don't kill me.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Nicki Minaj for smash
*Chun Li vs Richter*

“Yes I did! Yes I did! Please someone tell him who the F I is!”

D

Deleted member

There are onpy three genders: male, female and villain
Wonder-Pink

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
It's not a very well known series... but it is infamous. :laugh:

Murasaki or... bust... *snrk*

Arale, you say?

N'cha!
Isn't that girl from Dragon Quest? And I think he meant Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo :)

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Are we really talking about feminism, Chun Li and Nicki Minaj? I almost prefer when the echo fighter discussion was getting out of hands..

dezeray112

Smash Hero

KMDP

Smash Legend
Isn't that girl from Dragon Quest? And I think he meant Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo :)
Arale is from Akira Toriyama's first smash hit manga.

Of course, it's only really popular in Japan, it's nowhere near as notable as Dragon Ball.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I think Yumi could be argued to be the new protagonist of the series, anyway...

Arle would be super cool to have, she's got a bunch of cool magic spells in her original series.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
While I agree Chun-Li is iconic as hell, there’s someone even more iconic than her.

Lara Croft is a character so iconic that I actually don’t know anyone who doesn’t at least know her by name, which is akin to characters like Mario and PAC-MAN.

Her iconism even transcends gaming, appearing in several magazines, films, merchandise, and possibly more.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Eh but for real

Peach, Samus, Lara croft and Chun-li are pretty much the most recognizable females in gaming. We are halfway there atleast.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Real talk, ArcSys are ****ing cowards for not including her
C'mon ArcSys! Arale and Chichi for FighterZ.

I KNOW YOU'RE WATCHING!
While I agree Chun-Li is iconic as hell, there’s someone even more iconic than her.

Lara Croft is a character so iconic that I actually don’t know anyone who doesn’t at least know her by name, which is akin to characters like Mario and PAC-MAN.

Her iconism even transcends gaming, appearing in several magazines, films, merchandise, and possibly more.
I've seen people talk about her on TV, in "top 100" lists and the like.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Just with the amount of fan service and iconic characters we’re getting gothitelle just doesn’t fit in to me. If the leak is true I won’t be happy but whatever. We got wii fit and dark pit last time and I survived those.
On the surface it seems nonsensical, but scrutinizing it it makes a lot of sense. papagenos covered it pretty well in his video. The Smash ballot was probably filled with thousands of Pokemon votes, now the votes were probably for like 200 different pokemon but one of the main points that quite a few of them had was probably "This pokemon should be in Smash because Gen * doesn't have a rep". Going off of that reasoning Sakurai might have looked at all the Pokemon and had to find the ones that 1) Are either Gen 3 or 5, 2) Are popular enough to warrant inclusion and 3) have a mirror in the Gen not chosen that can perfectly echo the other's moves. Or it could just be absolute bull**** and I'm wasting my time, but I want to believe. We're probably not losing anything by Gothitelle being there anyway, it could be the most glorified alt of all the echoes.
Chun Li is probably one the least risque female characters in gaming.

Only internet pervs have warped her. Otherwise the games just treat her as first a young girl on a quest for vengeance and then as admired street fighter and police woman.

She's not lewd or sexualized outside of fan art.

Street Fighter games have T ratings for other characters and potentially even other female characters like Juri or Menat, etc, but certainly not because of Chun Li.
ehhhhhhh do you remember when Street Fighter 5 was first released and Chun-li's breast bounce was so exaggerated that they turned concave sometimes?
For Smash though? She's fine, and I'd like to see her there.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I've seen people talk about her on TV, in "top 100" lists and the like.
Yeah, Lara isn’t just a gaming icon, but a cultural icon in general.

Her impact is immense and definitely notable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom