• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I want scepticle.

I don't think anyone noticed a huge decline in Pokemon designs until gen V when it was clear they ran out of ideas and started giving us ice cream cones and trash bags as Pokemon.

Of course no one is asking Nintendo to somehow top the original 151 Pokemon which were perfect.

But I think most would be ok with new stories, locations and gameplay features rather than new Pokemon if they can't be inspired.

I don't personally think we will see a gen v rep in smash ever. Maybe gen 7 because it's recent but I hope not. Gen 1 please Nintendo

Shroob

Sup?
I want scepticle.

I don't think anyone noticed a huge decline in Pokemon designs until gen V when it was clear they ran out of ideas and started giving us ice cream cones and trash bags as Pokemon.

Of course no one is asking Nintendo to somehow top the original 151 Pokemon which were perfect.

But I think most would be ok with new stories, locations and gameplay features rather than new Pokemon if they can't be inspired.

I don't personally think we will see a gen v rep in smash ever. Maybe gen 7 because it's recent but I hope not. Gen 1 please Nintendo
"Ran out of ideas"

Yes because Gen1 is so original with "How do we make it evolve? ADD ANOTHER HEAD/MAKE IT BIGGER"

Enchess

Smash Lord
I want scepticle.

Trubbish is legitimately one of the best Pokemon and I refuse to hear otherwise. Its the same idea as Grimer/Muk, but executed way better. Gen V was just an inspired gen in general. Only gen that brought back the magic of Gen I for me and not only that but surpassed it.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I want scepticle.

I have to disagree, Gen 3 did have it of new unique Pokémon that easily became fan favorites.

Even then Gen 6 began picking up with the Pokémon designs, and Gen 7 has some of the most diverse and unique amount of Pokémon.

I honestly can’t see a single reason why they would not pick a Gen 7 Pokémon with the unique and distinct designs from a more modern generation than add a Pokémon to a generation with a crazy amount of Pokémon already represented for it.

Wait I realized what you did...

nice b8 m8 r8 8/8.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The designs for the Vanillite line are delish.

Loved having it on my Black team (alongside Gothitelle).

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So what stages do you guys feel will be used for the unlock able characters? Off the top of my head for some...

Peach - Peach's Castle (Melee)
Zelda - Temple
Ridley - Brinstar Depths
Marth or Meta Knight - Fountain of Dreams

Only just a selected few for the time being minus the obvious ones like Simon, Snake, Wario

Shroob

Sup?
So what stages do you guys feel will be used for the unlock able characters? Off the top of my head for some...

Zelda - Temple
Ridley - Brinstar Depths

Only just a selected few for the time being minus the obvious ones like Simon, Snake, Wario
Wouldn't Meta Knight be on the Halberd?

Enchess

Smash Lord
The designs for the Vanillite line are delish.

Loved having it on my Black team (alongside Gothitelle).
I hated them at first, but like most "bad" Gen V Pokemon, they grew on me a ton by the end of the game and I did a full 180 from hating to loving. How can someone hate those ice cream faces?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I have to disagree, Gen 3 did have it of new unique Pokémon that easily became fan favorites.

Even then Gen 6 began picking up with the Pokémon designs, and Gen 7 has some of the most diverse and unique amount of Pokémon.

I honestly can’t see a single reason why they would not pick a Gen 7 Pokémon with the unique and distinct designs from a more modern generation than add a Pokémon to a generation with a crazy amount of Pokémon already represented for it.

Wait I realized what you did...

nice b8 m8 r8 8/8.
It's one thing to reserve a spot for an upcoming Pokemon. It's another to reserve a spot for an upcoming Pokemon when you have a limited amount of newcomers seemingly focused on fan demand.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Zelda - Temple
Ridley - Brinstar Depths

I think Norfair would be more fitting for Ridley myself.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Trubbish is legitimately one of the best Pokemon
I'll never ever understand a statement like this or even begin to see where people are coming from.

Gen 1 is clearly the most popular for a reason and it's not just nostalgia, Gen 7 has gen 1 Pokemon getting the most new forms and Pokemon go just had the original 150.

With Pokemon Gen 1 remakes (yet again) about to be released I hope Nintendo gives Gen 1 some more love.

Many of us are fans of the series but don't really care for anything that's not Gen 1

Shroob

Sup?
I'll never ever understand a statement like this or even begin to see where people are coming from.

Gen 1 is clearly the most popular for a reason and it's not just nostalgia, Gen 7 has gen 1 Pokemon getting the most new forms and Pokemon go just had the original 150.

With Pokemon Gen 1 remakes (yet again) about to be released I hope Nintendo gives Gen 1 some more love.

Many of us are fans of the series but don't really care for anything that's not Gen 1
Now this is trolling to the highest degree.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Yeah, honestly that post made me no longer able to tell if they're serious. It's one thing to claim Gen 1 is best designed, another to claim Gen 1 pandering isn't mostly fueled by nostalgia

WaxPython

Smash Ace
No it's legitimately what many believe.

Just look at the backlash on comment sections everytime a new Pokemon game is released, or when the cartoon changed the designs.

Not everyone has to like the other generations, much has been said about how linear and uninspired gen V was as a game which reflects In user opinion and popularity.

And no gen 1 pandering isn't just for nostalgia, the target audience for Pokemon is kids and they wouldn't have grown up with gen 1 but clearly prefer them as their favourites because they're genuinely great designs.

If you ask kids what their favourite Pokemon they'll say charizard, pikachu, squirtle etc. how many are going to say a set of keys is their favourite?

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'm serious when I say I thought it was a parody post.

EDIT: My comment wasn't really constructive so I'll add on saying people saying Game Freak ran out of ideas is something I haven't heard in years at this point.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So...just a reminder that this reunion can finally happen all the time
414C2B59-E483-4D92-B914-EA7B9412D2C1.jpeg
56FE6F7C-0904-4046-A7C6-CC28F651BA61.jpeg
...amen

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I want scepticle.

How about we cut Charizard instead? There are very few things that would make me consider not buying, and another Pokémon from Gen 1 would be one of those. Every Gen has it's duds, but Decidueye > Gengar a million times over.

Zelda - Temple
Ridley - Brinstar Depths

K. Rool - Pirate Ship
Lucina - Arena Ferox
Meta Knight - Halberd

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Just look at the backlash on comment sections everytime a new Pokemon game is released, or when the cartoon changed the designs.

Not everyone has to like the other generations, much has been said about how linear and uninspired gen V was as a game which reflects In user opinion and popularity.
Genwunners get a bad rap for a reason yknow

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It's one thing to reserve a spot for an upcoming Pokemon. It's another to reserve a spot for an upcoming Pokemon when you have a limited amount of newcomers seemingly focused on fan demand.
Um...

Okay? In all honesty, I don’t think it will be that limited. We already have 4 unique newcomers confirmed and I think they’re a lot more, and I doubt that it will be entirely fan based.

It has been clear that after the interview with Bill Trinen, Sakurai still chooses the newcomers who he sees more fit (or who wants really) And with a lot of unique possibilities with the different Pokémon from Gen 7 to choose from, I wouldn’t put it past Sakurai to choose a Gen 7 Pokémon because it offers a unique move set.

Also, hey this is like the first time you responded to something I said. I still disagree with you.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Except Gen5 has done nothing but gain popularity as time's gone on.

It was the black sheep of the series, but now people have started to really appreciate and enjoy it.

Gen wunning is just.... lol.

I'm sorry, but even I grew up with Red, picked Charizard as my starter, and on a repeated playthrough recently on the 3DS...... the game ****ing sucks and is inherently broken.

Between moves like Rage, Wrap, Bind, Flame Spin basically trapping you forever with no hope of fighting back, to all the glitches(I glitched the ever loving **** out of Missingno. to complete my Pokedex), the game just doesn't hold up anymore, to me at least.

And the Gen 1 mons are just BORING.

Almost everything is either "When it evolves, it gets a 3rd head/gets bigger"

You **** on Trubbish for being "A bag of garbage", but you praise Muk for being a pile of sludge.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
We've got 4 months till release. I can see 3 or 4 more unique newcomers added, with a few more echoes.

Enchess

Smash Lord

Gen V imo was hated because it changed things too much too fast and it didn't sit well with people's nostalgia. The gameplay was on point, the story never had so much effort put in before, and the Pokemon largely felt like better versions of the Gen 1 ideas.

Like I said with Trubbish: he's the same idea as Grimer (sentient waste) but executed better. He manages to be both cuter and grosser, plus he reads better (the number of times I've heard "what even is Grimer?").

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Genwunners get a bad rap for a reason yknow
No I'm not a genwunner. I said that gens 1-4 were pretty solid and the creativity was there.

It was only until afterwards I got turned off from the series too much pew pew not enough new new

New gens are too easy, you can finish the game with just your starter Pokemon. Where's the fun in that?

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
We've got 4 months till release. I can see 3 or 4 more unique newcomers added, with a few more echoes.
Sakurai did say that he would reveal all the fighters before the Launch of the game right???
Personally I think we may have a 75 fighter count in the game...

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman

Uh oh, its a genwunner

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm not THAT into Pokemon but I will say that there are very few designs I dislike. Pretty much every Pokemon introduced in Smash I like, especially :ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::4charizard:

Enchess

Smash Lord
No I'm not a genwunner. I said that gens 1-4 were pretty solid and the creativity was there.

It was only until afterwards I got turned off from the series too much pew pew not enough new new

New gens are too easy, you can finish the game with just your starter Pokemon. Where's the fun in that?
You must be thinking XY, because BW are definitely harder than Gen 1

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
I think a great way to have a new Pokémon gen 1 rep is to have the Pokémon Champion/Gary Oak/Rival as a playable character. Because he would represent the rivalry for PT in the series.

Though for the Pokémon he could use would be like Eevee/Umbreon, Blastoise, Electivire, NidoKing/NidoQueen, Scizor and Arcanine.

Shroob

Sup?

I mean, you've always been able to do that. Do you seriously think most people who played Pokemon when they were 5-6 didn't end the game with a level 70+ starter and a bunch of level 2-3 Ratata and Pidgey?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just like all the Pokemon generations like me, you ninnies.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
More specifically,

I honestly want to know why Orbital Gate Assualt is not in, there doesn’t seem to be a any reason for it not to, and I want to believe it can still come back, it’s one of the Smash 4 stages that I wanted them to bring back for Ultimate :(.

Hopefully they can show it off for the base, or at least early DLC.
It might have been too much work touching it up for what was one of the most unpopular stages that barely anyone liked playing on even casually. According to Sakurai that stage took over a year to make, and for all the work it took to make people mostly just trashed it as an unplayable mess. I could understand why it would be among the lowest priority of stages to bring back, and I don't miss it (though it was really helpful in my Smash 4 Luigi wins by doing nothing video, so I suppose I would miss it some for that).

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Uh oh, its a genwunner
No I'm not a genwunner I'm open to games surpassing it.

But as of now it's the most iconic, with the best region, Pokemon designs, story, progression, difficulty, cartoon, music, characters, and lore.

Story behind team rocket killing cubone's mother and her ghost haunting the tower leading you having to do get the silly scope from Saffron City was genius.

It wasn't just weak point a to point b like gens after gen 4 are.

It had fair genuine challenge with the random rival encounters you loved to hate and so on.

These days they just heal your Pokemon lol

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
It might have been too much work touching it up for what was one of the most unpopular stages that barely anyone liked playing on even casually. According to Sakurai that stage took over a year to make, and for all the work it took to make people mostly just trashed it as an unplayable mess. I could understand why it would be among the lowest priority of stages to bring back, and I don't miss it (though it was really helpful in my Smash 4 Luigi wins by doing nothing video, so I suppose I would miss it some for that).
Is this another example of "you don't know what you love 'till it's taken away from you?"

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Except Gen5 has done nothing but gain popularity as time's gone on.

It was the black sheep of the series, but now people have started to really appreciate and enjoy it.

Gen wunning is just.... lol.

I'm sorry, but even I grew up with Red, picked Charizard as my starter, and on a repeated playthrough recently on the 3DS...... the game ****ing sucks and is inherently broken.

Between moves like Rage, Wrap, Bind, Flame Spin basically trapping you forever with no hope of fighting back, to all the glitches(I glitched the ever loving **** out of Missingno. to complete my Pokedex), the game just doesn't hold up anymore, to me at least.

And the Gen 1 mons are just BORING.

Almost everything is either "When it evolves, it gets a 3rd head/gets bigger"

You **** on Trubbish for being "A bag of garbage", but you praise Muk for being a pile of sludge.
There's such a thing as being too far on the other side of this spectrum, lol.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I will say there was an interview a few years ago where a director did explicitly say they did make the games easier intentionally. That's my main issue with more modern Pokemon even though the games have never been that difficult to begin with.

However, I don't care for gen 6 much but I will say there were a lot of super cool Pokemon in it. Game Freak isn't even close to running out of ideas, to even say that just because you don't like some of the more recent gen designs seems silly.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
If we're talking Pokemon, obviously Gen V is the best for giving us this absolute gem

Name one better Pokemon. Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom