• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
New gens are too easy, you can finish the game with just your starter Pokemon. Where's the fun in that?
On my first playthrough of Blue when it first came out I literally never switched pokemon. I just used Squirtle to Blastoise the whole way through and blew through the whole game with zero effort. Gen 1 is piss easy if you just use your starter, I assume all the Pokémon games are, the exp/stat boosts curve isn't designed for it. Using a full team drastically increases the difficulty.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Mushroom Kingdom I: This stage would be relatively easy to implement, but the aesthetic really overlaps Mushroom Kingdom 64 except with none of the charm. This stage is extremely low quality no matter where you sit on the casual-competitive spectrum and likely absent for that reason.
I wanna know how the Mushroom Kingdom in Melee is any better or worse than the one in the original Super Smash Bros.

Please, enlighten me, as I love both stages

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The Wii U stages did require the least work to bring back, but Orbital Gate Assault has so many assets to it and was such a complicated stage while many of the past stages were pretty simple, so I could see why even with porting and some minor touchups it could take more effort to bring back.
),:

I hope it at least comes back later as DLC or something.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Oh we talkin best gens? Gen 5 baby can't beat it! So many of my fav pokemon are from that gen, Cofagrigus, Seismitoad, Leavanny, Druddigon, Scolipede, all classics man. Plus the bad guys actually had a plan that kind of made sense. I haven't looked into the pros and cons of that Gothitelle leak but as I've said before, I'm all about that.

Honestly I think one of the things that keeps Zoroark as a pokeball (among a number of other things, don't worry I know) is that it'd be hard to find a way to implement the illusion ability. properly. Like how would that even work in smash brothers? Anyways, it'd be cool to see gen 5 in smash playable but I wouldn't put money on it.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I wanna know how the Mushroom Kingdom in Melee is any better or worse than the one in the original Super Smash Bros.

Please, enlighten me, as I love both stages
So competitively both stages are unplayable and instant bans in any Smash game. However, Mushroom Kingdom 64 is a lot of fun if you aren't serious. The pipes are hilarious especially at low levels where being randomly dropped in the pit really sucks, and if you aren't willing to "risk" the pipes, the stage creates a lot of really unique interactive fights. Mushroom Kingdom I, when you aren't just camping the walk-offs, is basically endless teching (or missing techs and just bouncing off breakable blocks to still live forever) and tons of running away because the stage is a mixed series of obvious loops with strong camping positions everywhere thanks to the pit locations. Mushroom Kingdom 64 is a stage not for competitive players that has value being in the game; Mushroom Kingdom I would add nothing to the game just like it added nothing to Melee other than a now-redundant Mario 1 aesthetic.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Gen 4 for me.

Mostly because I've got the most personal experience playing that one. Still love the individual Pokemon that have made up my teams in Pearl, however.

Legit wouldn't complain if Luxray was in Smash despite the fact that it'd be a very random choice.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
On my first playthrough of Blue when it first came out I literally never switched pokemon. I just used Squirtle to Blastoise the whole way through and blew through the whole game with zero effort. Gen 1 is piss easy if you just use your starter, I assume all the Pokémon games are, the exp/stat boosts curve isn't designed for it. Using a full team drastically increases the difficulty.
Gen 1 isn't difficult but it's not the way you're describing the vermillion gym should have granted estoppel for that particular strategy as electric type Pokemon are used.

If you thought gen 1 was easy you haven't played gen 6 clearly then lol. Most would agree even die hard fans that earlier gens are more difficult.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I still have no clue why Woolly World was cut. Is there something I'm missing about that stage?
From what I hear all the Yarn Textures from touching the ground and stuff would be too taxing in 8-player Smash.

Shame, I really liked it. Same with Rainbow Road

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Now on the discussion of Pokemon

Let's say you were the person to introduce two new Pokemon into Ultimate. One Pokemon must be from Gen 1 that would be considered the Final Gen 1 Pokemon to ever be in Smash for the next 20 years or so. The other Pokemon you introduce must be outside of Gen 1. Who would you pick?

Gen 1: Gengar

Non Gen 1: Sceptile
Marowak and either Chandelure or Klefki.

Enchess

Smash Lord

Let's say you were the person to introduce two new Pokemon into Ultimate. One Pokemon must be from Gen 1 that would be considered the Final Gen 1 Pokemon to ever be in Smash for the next 20 years or so. The other Pokemon you introduce must be outside of Gen 1. Who would you pick?

Gen 1: Vaporeon
Non Gen 1: Trubbish

Honorable non-gen1 mentions:
Darminitan (I just don't want a second fire type)
Chandelure (I can already play as them in Pokken)
Primarina (I love her, but I love Trubbish more)
Gardevoir (Pokken again)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Marowak and Sceptile

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Now here's a thought... if an F-Zero character does come in... how drastically would their design change from their GX Design. Remember that Falcon's GX Design and his newer Smash design are totally different from each other... I could see a character like Pico, Dr.Stewart. or Black Bull having little to no-redesign... but I honestly think that Characters like Deathborn or Don Geine, would need to have a newer less extravagent design... especially Don Genie...

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Gen 1: Kabutops

Gen 5: Chandelure

D

Deleted member

Gengar and Incineroar.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Oh we talkin best gens? Gen 5 baby can't beat it! So many of my fav pokemon are from that gen, Cofagrigus, Seismitoad, Leavanny, Druddigon, Scolipede, all classics man. Plus the bad guys actually had a plan that kind of made sense. I haven't looked into the pros and cons of that Gothitelle leak but as I've said before, I'm all about that.

Honestly I think one of the things that keeps Zoroark as a pokeball (among a number of other things, don't worry I know) is that it'd be hard to find a way to implement the illusion ability. properly. Like how would that even work in smash brothers? Anyways, it'd be cool to see gen 5 in smash playable but I wouldn't put money on it.
One way could be that after selecting Zoroark, you'd pick another character that you could then transform into throughout the match like you would with Pokemon Trainer. Though, that would be incredibly difficult to balance.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why not Slippy and Peppy being clones of Fox and Falco

I'm not sure which

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832

Gen 1: Beedrill

Non Gen 1: Tropius

Tropius would be a hard fit but... if Ridley can be in smash... thinking emoji.......

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

This would've looked so sick and fitting in that rivals trailer. Just saying… It almost feels as destined (picture is about 9 years old, lol)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still have no clue why Woolly World was cut. Is there something I'm missing about that stage?
It's a little disappointing that they cut Woolly World. That was one of my favorite stages in Smash Wii U.

Also I am a little annoyed that the Super Mario Bros. 2 stage is still named "Mushroom Kingdom II" and not "Subcon".

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So now that Metroid and Donkey Kong got more attention in this game than previously, what's the next "underrepresented" series?
Zelda.

We purely have the tri-force trio with 3 Links and 2 Zeldas. Even if the 2 Zeldas are totally different from one another.

It's the next BIG series that does well for Nintendo that has been calling for a new rep for a while.

Enchess

Smash Lord
So now that Metroid and Donkey Kong got more attention in this game than previously, what's the next "underrepresented" series?
Yoshi or Xenoblade depending on opinion on Yoshi as part of Mario series and depending on if Elma/Rex get in.

Everything else that's already in finally feels fine to me. I'd like Dixie&Kiddy or Louie or Nook or Ashley, but it doesn't feel like DK or Pikmin or AC or Wario are underrepresented without them.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Gen Scum: Pinsir

Good Gens: Decidueye
Yoshi probably Animal Crossing.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Of the OG's, Yoshi and F-Zero. Though Yoshi probably would only get more representation with stages and F-Zero while there's options a lot of people probably don't know of F-Zero characters outside of Captain Falcon. I'm not too versed in them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom