• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Then there'd be a two hour direct before launch giving a quick rundown of all of the blooming characters. Sakurai stops to catch breath, even though it's edited in advance.
"PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING AGAIN" - Sakurai
Shadow, Geno, Isabelle, Skull Kid, and Dixie Kong
I think that you misunderstood the question... or that Isabelle also brings along 29 animal neighbors as well...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sometimes a reference is just that, a reference. I really think this "they're hinting at X" mentality is gonna crash down hard. It seems there's no end to the Smash fanbase's constant cycle of self-made disappointment because no one seems to learn from past mistakes.
Likewise?

No one makes a reference just to make a reference a lot of the time. References are done for a reason and to bring across a point.

Also no one seems to learn from past mistakes can be said about those who refuse to think that Sakurai isn't some clear cut thing we can predict from his past ways.

It might actually better be used for them considering how consistently unpredictable he is, yet most everyone in the fanbase seems to think they know exactly how he thinks, moves, acts, and what he'd do 98 percent of the time and don't account for any variables than what they are use to from him.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
"PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING AGAIN" - Sakurai

I think that you misunderstood the question... or that Isabelle also brings along 29 animal neighbors as well...
Isabelle has a chance of being unique. It'd be kind of an insult to the mascot of Animal Crossing to not make her a unique fighter, or at least a semi-clone

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So I have a question... what if the games comes out and as it turns out... there's actually 100 playable characters not including echos...
Also Who would they be?
Did you just ask me to name 33 new fighters, because K. Rool is 67 out of 100.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
So I have a question... what if the games comes out and as it turns out... there's actually 100 playable characters not including echos...
Also Who would they be?
You're asking me to come up with 33 more characters that weren't deconfirmed, not counting echoes?
sigh alright.
Incineroar
Geno
Bandanna Dee
Isaac
Skull Kid
Isabelle (not as an echo)
Elma
Chorus Kids
Lloyd
Heihachi
Monster Hunter
Dixie Kong (not as an echo)
Steve
Shadow (not as an echo)
Rabbid Peach (ew)
Rayman
Shantae
Gardevoir
Tails
Eggman
Excite Bike
Mallow
Slippy
Lycanroc
Primarina
Decidueye
Banjo Kazooie
Prince Sable
Terra
Buzzwole
Rex & Pyra
Springman
Sans
Don't ask me for anything ever again.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
To be honest, I wanna see the old teams return with possibly new members depending on the 4/Ultimate cast:

Team 1- :ultmario::ultpit::ultkirby::ultlink::ultyoshi:

Team 2- :ultlucas::ultpokemontrainer::ultmarth::ultike::ulticeclimbers:

Team 3-:ultsamus::ultpikachu::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultfalcon::ultolimar::ultrob:

Team 4- :ultmetaknight::ultsnake::ultlucario::ultpeach::ultzelda::ultfox::ultfalco::ultgnw:

Team 5- :ultness::ultluigi::ultkingdedede:

What characters do you wanna see join these groups if SSE returns?

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Isabelle has a chance of being unique. It'd be kind of an insult to the mascot of Animal Crossing to not make her a unique fighter, or at least a semi-clone
No I mean... like there's 33 fighters that you'd have to add in to the main roster and you listed 5, It's not that Isabelle is bad it's just that you only listed 5 characters.

Iridium

Smash Hero
To be honest, I wanna see the old teams return with possibly new members depending on the 4/Ultimate cast:

Team 2- :ultlucas::ultpokemontrainer::ultmarth::ultmetaknight::ultike::ulticeclimbers:

Team 4- :ultmetaknight::ultsnake::ultlucario::ultpeach::ultzelda::ultfox::ultfalco:

What if team 5 is the first group of characters to go first? I think you know what I mean.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I was thinking, Castlevania and Metroid got multiple characters and with Echos being a thing, a lot of other series could very well get multiple new ones.

Here's the ones I think could plausibly get the treatment

Mario: Daisy, Geno, Metal Mario
Donkey Kong: K. Rool, Dixie
Zelda: Hilda, Impa, Skull Kid
Pokemon: Gen 7 (Incenaroar?), Gardevoir, Gothitelle (Thanks possibly lucky Anon)
Earthbound: Ninten, Gygias

Fire Emblem: Chrom, Take your pick
Kid Icarus: Medusa, Viridi (Share Palutena's old customs between ya)

Sonic: Metal Sonic, Shadow
Streer Fighter: Ken, Akuma, Sakura, Dan...

Which do you think is most likley?
Replace Metal Sonic with Tails and that would be a possibility

Though out of these, which are most likely? K. Rool and Dixie for sure

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
You're asking me to come up with 33 more characters that weren't deconfirmed, not counting echoes?
sigh alright.
Incineroar
Geno
Bandanna Dee
Isaac
Skull Kid
Isabelle (not as an echo)
Elma
Chorus Kids
Lloyd
Heihachi
Monster Hunter
Doomguy
Steve
Dovakhin
Rabbid Peach (ew)
Rayman
Shantae
Gardevoir
Tails
Eggman
Excite Bike
Mallow
Slippy
Lycanroc
Samurai Goroh
Decidueye
Banjo Kazooie
Prince Sable
Terra
Buzzwole
Rex & Pyra
Springman
Sans
Don't ask me for anything ever again.
I'm sorry to say this but Samurai Goroh was disconfirmed for Smash...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Team 2- :ultlucas::ultpokemontrainer::ultmarth::ultmetaknight::ultike::ulticeclimbers:

Team 4- :ultmetaknight::ultsnake::ultlucario::ultpeach::ultzelda::ultfox::ultfalco::ultgnw:

Team 6 - :ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultlucina::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultchrom: :ultsimon: :ultrichter: :ultelma:
Team 7 - :ultdaisy::ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwaddledee:
Team 8 - :ultwiifittrainer::ultdarkpit::ultgreninja::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultbowserjr::ultroy::ultchoruskids:
Team 9 - :ultryu::ultcloud::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultrosalina::ultpalutena:(+ Isaac?)
Team 10 - :ultridley::ultkrool: :ultdarksamus::ultwolf:
Team 11 - :ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultsonic::ultjigglypuff::ultzss::ultsheik:

Hope I’m not forgetting anybody, and Elma, (Bandana) Waddle Dee and Chorus Kids are hypothetical

Edit - **** I forgot Palutena

Also that Wolf, Sonic, Jiggs and TL didn’t have teams per se, and also now that ZSS and Sheik are separate from their counterparts now

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I mean, I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I think everything they've done for this game is for the fans, but none of the characters revealed have been characters I really want. I wanted Ashley, Isabelle, Viridi, Shantae, and Lyn, and so far it's not looking good for any of them, aside from Isabelle. I think she will get in. But all the others I want are either AT or not likely to get in as playable.
I can definitely understand how you feel.
In the pre-Smash4 days I wanted : Dixie/K.Rool(the most), Villager/Tom Nook, Ghirahim, Toad, Micaiah (Fire Emblem), Travis Touchdown. Most characters I wanted were ignored, not even appeared as AT. Only got Villager, the exact first one.
It sucks.I don't care about Pac-man, Bayo, Ryu, Duck Hunt, hated Bowser Jr... it felt like one horrible roster to me.

In comparison, I liked Ridley inclusion. Inkling seems funny. Simon it's cool. And now K.Rool.
So maybe there will come a time where the ones you care finally happens.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Is there any Nintendo crossover weirder than this?
Does it matter if it's weird?

Does it matter if you hated prior Rabbids games?

What matters is it's a well made funny ass game made by a development team who got the Rabbids and the Mario characters right.

Honestly at this point if you haven't at least tried it and you have a Switch? What are you doing?

It's just as good of a Mario game as Odyssey IMO.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Alright lads it's about time for another forum game.
List bosses you want for Spirits mode (assuming that's where you fight Dracula and Rathalos)

In my mind, bosses may be exclusive to certain characters for their own series or they're just randomized for funsies. Let's get this started.
King Bob-Omb

This dude's probably one of the most iconic Mario bosses period. He's a durable boi and has numerous of one of the strongest items in the game at his disposal. I think he'd be very powerful. Maybe there's a gimmick where you have to learn how to grab items by airdodging to throw bombs back at him to make him vulnerable, and I think that'd be a very useful fight to teach players some of the more advanced techniques that have been around since Melee.

Metal Face
View attachment 157380
He's already a boss on Gaur Plains. I think he's such a big character in the game before the spoilerfest begins that he could get an upgrade to something more advanced. The stage for Rathalos and Gaur Plains have similar textures as I've seen it, so it could be an easy build for the stage itself. I'd rather have Sword Valley, but if it's easier and faster, then that'll probably take priority.
I could list more but I don't my head for making stupid long posts.
Queen Sectonia (Kirby)

Like most Kirby Bosses, this one writes itself. It could even have multiple phases, phase one would be her bee form, phase two would be the Dreamstalk version.
Zygarde (Pokémon)

Simmilarly, Zygarde could be a pretty good multi-phase one. Part 1 would be 10%, and fights similarly to playable characters. Phase 2 would be 50% and acts like the traditional bosses. Phase 3 would be 100% and a giant.
Doppleganger (Scribblenauts)

I know we won't get Scribblenauts content let me dream. The Doppleganger could be an "Adeline" of sorts, who doesn't fight by himself and instead summons various creatures from the Scribblenauts Series, while also nerfing the player through adjectives.
Assuming the new blurred out mode is something like Subspace what characters do you guys want to see team up?
:ultpichu: + :ultyoshi:. Yoshi's good with children.
Dark Samus + King K Rool. Western made antagonists.

D

Deleted member

Likewise?

No one makes a reference just to make a reference a lot of the time. References are done for a reason and to bring across a point.

Also no one seems to learn from past mistakes can be said about those who refuse to think that Sakurai isn't some clear cut thing we can predict from his past ways.

It might actually better be used for them considering how consistently unpredictable he is, yet most everyone in the fanbase seems to think they know exactly how he thinks, moves, acts, and what he'd do 98 percent of the time and don't account for any variables than what they are use to from him.
A reference still doesn't necessarily need to mean anything.

The only ones who are acting like Sakurai can be predicted are the ones trying to look for clues on small things. There's zero reason to believe a chair is a hint towards a character and believing so is just setting oneself up for disappointment.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Team 6 - :ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultlucina::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultchrom: :ultsimon: :ultrichter: :ultelma:
Team 7 - :ultdaisy::ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwaddledee:
Team 8 - :ultwiifittrainer::ultdarkpit::ultgreninja::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultbowserjr::ultroy::ultchoruskids:
Team 9 - :ultryu::ultcloud::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultrosalina:(+ Isaac?)
Team 10 - :ultridley::uktkingkrool: :ultdarksamus:

Hope I’m not forgetting anybody, and Elma, (Bandana) Waddle Dee and Chorus Kids are hypothetical
I could see a team of :ultpikachu::ultpichu::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt::ultness::ultyoshi::ultlucas:, :ultsheik::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultsnake::ultfox::ultfalco::ultmegaman: and :ultlink::ultmarth::ultshulk::ultcloud::ultroy::ultmetaknight: (swordies, I guess?).

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I think everything they've done for this game is for the fans, but none of the characters revealed have been characters I really want. I wanted Ashley, Isabelle, Viridi, Shantae, and Lyn, and so far it's not looking good for any of them, aside from Isabelle. I think she will get in. But all the others I want are either AT or not likely to get in as playable.
Trust me, I'm in the Viridi boat as you are, and I hope she shines in, but something tells me its not gonna happen. We'll see.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

The only ones who are acting like Sakurai can be predicted are the ones trying to look for clues on small things. There's zero reason to believe a chair is a hint towards a character and believing so is just setting oneself up for disappointment.
I don't think anyone is setting themselves up for disappointment if they don't fully believe the possibility, but I also think it's weirder to not open yourself up to the possibility it means something more.

After all I don't think anyone is 100 percent on the rooms or Rathalos screenshot or the DBZ reference meaning anything, but I also don't see why everyone has to write them off as absolutely 100 percent meaning nothing either out of pessimist.

It makes speculation boring as **** and clear cut copy and paste. How the hell is that fun for you or anyone else?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Alright lads it's about time for another forum game.
List bosses you want for Spirits mode (assuming that's where you fight Dracula and Rathalos)

In my mind, bosses may be exclusive to certain characters for their own series or they're just randomized for funsies. Let's get this started.
King Bob-Omb

This dude's probably one of the most iconic Mario bosses period. He's a durable boi and has numerous of one of the strongest items in the game at his disposal. I think he'd be very powerful. Maybe there's a gimmick where you have to learn how to grab items by airdodging to throw bombs back at him to make him vulnerable, and I think that'd be a very useful fight to teach players some of the more advanced techniques that have been around since Melee.

Metal Face
View attachment 157380
He's already a boss on Gaur Plains. I think he's such a big character in the game before the spoilerfest begins that he could get an upgrade to something more advanced. The stage for Rathalos and Gaur Plains have similar textures as I've seen it, so it could be an easy build for the stage itself. I'd rather have Sword Valley, but if it's easier and faster, then that'll probably take priority.
I could list more but I don't my head for making stupid long posts.
Andross
I'd argue that Andross is a pretty damn iconic villain in gaming. I can see him as a boss fight working pretty simply. He's have various attacks using his hands, such as slamming them on the ground and trying to punch the player. Between attack cycles, he'd begin to inhale asteroids, and the player would have to keep away. He'd then spit them out before attempting to attack the player again. The key to beating him would be to attack his hands during their attack end-lag, and to take out his eyes. He'd be defeated once his hands and head have all been destroyed.

Monarch Dodora
Another Star Fox boss, Monarch Dodora was one of Star Fox Zero's more memorable boss fights. I can see this boss fight being a mix between Rathalos and Rayquaza. Monarch Dodora would attack by hurling fireballs at the stage, trying to chomp down on players with its two heads, sweeping the stage with a laser from its tail, and by kicking up a windstorm to throw the player around. The key to defeating it would be to attack it's center weak point. It's heads and tail can be attacked, and although the tail can eventually be destroyed, the heads will only be temporarily disabled once they've taken enough damage. It is defeated once its center weak point has taken enough damage.

Buzzwole
Although some look for this thing to be a playable character, I think it has great potential as a boss. Buzzwole would have four attacks, just like in the Pokemon games. First would by Focus Punch, where Buzzwole stands in place and charges an incredibly strong punch. You can attack it as the punch is being charged, and if you do enough damage, you'll break its concentration and the move will fail. The second is Leech Life, where Buzzwole grabs the player and begins to leech their life, healing it in the process, before throwing them. The third is Hammer Arm, where Buzzwole leans forward and slams the ground with its entire arm in a hammer-like swing. The fourth and final move is Lunge, where Buzzwole tucks back before quickly dashing to the other side of the field, stampeding over the player. The key to defeating it would simply be to deal as much damage as possible during it's start-up and end-lag on its moves, while avoiding being hit since all its attacks do very high damage and knockback.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Does it matter if it's weird?

Does it matter if you hated prior Rabbids games?

What matters is it's a well made funny *** game made by a development team who got the Rabbids and the Mario characters right.

Honestly at this point if you haven't at least tried it and you have a Switch? What are you doing?

It's just as good of a Mario game as Odyssey IMO.
Woah, I wasn't being too serious there. Rabbids always had a better chance than obscure characters that get no attention, and I know that. I was just looking for some actual other crossovers for somebody to mention.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

There are plenty of reasons to believe it, too. Not that it has to mean anything at all. We all know Sakurai hints at things in various ways. People are going to look, see, post and discuss the references or hints that are, at the very least, possible.

That’s all it is and everyone knows that. Telling people they’re nothing is just the opposite end of the same problem.
Some of those who see them are too optimistic and the people who disregard them entirely are too pessimistic. Neither of them are right until they’re right.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Woah, I wasn't being too serious there. Rabbids always had a better chance than obscure characters that get no attention, and I know that. I was just looking for some actual other crossovers for somebody to mention.
I wasn't attacking you. Just trying to get people out of their mindsets they always seem to be in about things.

I'm sure there's more weird Nintendo crossovers. They have many years of history after all.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm just saying.

There's a reason why you guys get shocked so easily by Sakurai.

You writte off possibilities based on the past, instead of thinking of the possibilities of the present.

It's why things like Ridley shocked you or even going back to last game? Bayonetta.

That possibilty of Bayonetta was always there. She was an IP Nintendo had taken interest in. One they wanted to push the future of. ****. Even one that Sakurai had complimented himself. She was a type of character Sakurai hadn't featured yet.

And everyone wrote her off because of prior comments about guns or the fact she wasn't iconic or whatever.

Every possibility was shot down and then when she was the final character revealed, the few of us who tried to tell the rest of you weren't shocked in the least, while the rest of you were all ''HOW COULD THIS BE?!"

I mean maybe it comes down to not wanting to open your eyes to the possibilities because your afraid of the outcome either in a positive or negative way, but it just comes off as really close minded about speculation in my opinion.

D

Deleted member

I don't think anyone is setting themselves up for disappointment if they don't fully believe the possibility, but I also think it's weirder to not open yourself up to the possibility it means something more.

After all I don't think anyone is 100 percent on the rooms or Rathalos screenshot or the DBZ reference meaning anything, but I also don't see why everyone has to write them off as absolutely 100 percent meaning nothing either out of pessimist.

It makes speculation boring as **** and clear cut copy and paste. How the hell is that fun for you or anyone else?
There are plenty of reasons to believe it, too. Not that it has to mean anything at all. We all know Sakurai hints at things in various ways. People are going to look, see, post and discuss the references or hints that are, at the very least, possible.

That’s all it is and everyone knows that. Telling people they’re nothing is just the opposite end of the same problem.
Some of those who see them are too optimistic and the people who disregard them entirely are too pessimistic. Neither of them are right until they’re right.
They may try to be tell themselves that but they don't know how they'll react, I was here during the Smash 4 release and there was a lot of overreactions to "missing" things that weren't even promised. There isn't any benefit from expecting more without any evidence and speculation has plenty to work with without the need to rely on straw-grasping theories.

Enchess

Smash Lord
They may try to be tell themselves that but they don't know how they'll react, I was here during the Smash 4 release and there was a lot of overreactions to "missing" things that weren't even promised. There isn't any benefit from expecting more without any evidence and speculation has plenty to work with without the need to rely on straw-grasping theories.
Well we can allow people to entertain chair and Rathalos speculation, or we can go back to fighting about Shadow echo and whether Goku can make it every single day again. I'd rather keep going with pointlessly overanalyzing every piece of new info as if it's code.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay, but as someone who thought Ridley in Smash 4 was straw grasping?

And thinks that any hope of Waluigi or Ashley in Smash Ultimate is straw grasping?

I think there's a pretty big difference in the possibility of the references and theories being presented here than say...

''He has the shadow of a playable character" despite the fact he was very obviously a stage hazard from the get go.

Or the fact both Waluigi and Ashley have very clearly been shown to be assist trophies still and there's not some conspiracy fake out about to happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom