• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forwardaerial

Smash Cadet
Question. If SSBU were released tomorrow with everything and only everything they've shown us, would you be happy?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
So Toad cannot be a semi-clone of Mario or Luigi because the body proportions are different.

And yet Young Link and Toon Link can be semi-clones of Link even though they have different body proportions.

Yeah, okay.
In the case of Toon Link, some of his moves were made different from Link's because his limbs were too short. Namely, any aerials that had Link attacking with his legs. Admittedly, I've only skimmed the last couple of pages so I could be wrong but, I believe that the argument isn't whether or not it could be made to work but whether or not it makes sense from a developmental perspective. Again, the dev team had to create new moves for Toon Link where Link's moves wouldn't have made sense. It seems that the current mindset for echoes is to use what already exists and avoid creating new moves. With this in mind, it's very possible that had Toon Link not been added in Brawl, he may have been overlooked for ultimate because of the larger workload he'd require compared to someone like Daisy. And yes, while it's possible that Toad could be made to work by borrowing moves from column A, B, and C, is it still worth it at that point? Or does Toad then require too much thought and energy to make? And finally, the dev team would have to ask themselves does that treatment do Toad justice?

Ultimately, I couldn't care less either way but I think using a Toon Link as an example is an inexact parallel,

Untouch

Smash Master
Speaking of characters that are only vaguely related to nintendo and would fit more on a PC "smash bros" game.
246x0w[1].png

When?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be honest't that'd be me too.

His moveset would probably mostly be composed of Fnaf World Attacks.
View attachment 157366
Throwing giant pizzas at people would be pretty fun though. bizzare. but fun.
Five Nights at ****boy’s did it better. :troll:

...anyway, I’ll be popping off for a few hours or at least in reader only mode. I’m not focusing very well after a stressful incident at home...

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
As someone who never got the FNAF hype, seeing something like Freddy in smash would count as one of the very few things Sakurai could do to make me angry at this game in a post-Ridley, post-K. Rool world.

Sorry to fans of that character, I just really, personally, very much do not like that game.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Not really interested in FNAF in general, but say we did, somehow get Freddy as playable, then Foxy as an Assist Trophy would be obligatory.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, I kinda wish Isabelle stayed as an AT just because how cute she looks when another character steals her summoner's fruits or when she runs out of them lmao.
She can still have all her AT animations as a fighter. She can cower away as a sidestep and have her sad face for losing or a special attack failing or something.

D

Deleted member

Echo Fighters are much more limited than Melee clones. Their proportions and weight all need to be the same, Young Link would never become an Echo Fighter were he to be introduced just now.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think Dig Dug could be considered as a retro fighter eventually, but not now. At least he has something to go off of.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Oh hey guys I'm back, I was taking a break to do homework and fin--
*sees FNAF in Smash talk*
On second thought, I think I'll do next week's homework too.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Echo Fighters are much more limited than Melee clones. Their proportions and weight all need to be the same, Young Link would never become an Echo Fighter were he to be introduced just now.
This just sounds like another fan rule waiting to be broken. Sakurai has a real habit of breaking them. Like Chrom breaking the "Echo Fighters are complete copies of characters" rule.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I’m trying to catch up with this thread and now I’m confused...

Did we really have a serious discussion about Five Nights at Freddy’s being represented in Smash Ultimate?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This just sounds like another fan rule waiting to be broken. Sakurai has a real habit of breaking them. Like Chrom breaking the "Echo Fighters are complete copies of characters" rule.
Normally I'm the one that goes "your fan rules are all pretty stupid" but the whole echo fighters needing to be the same proportions thing is about one of the only threads holding them together as a category.
If Pichu suddenly qualified to be an Echo, for instance, then there's virtually no difference between clones and echos, so it makes sense to think at least that as a boundary would be there.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the "fan rule" thing everyone does too, personally, but this is probably not one of those cases.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If SSBU were released tomorrow with everything and only everything, would you be happy?
I presume this is 'everything currently shown'?

Honestly? No. Inklings would be the only newcomer I actually wanted to get in, and they were a foregone conclusion. Whilst I'm happy for the fans who got characters they want(K. Rool, Simon, Ridley, Daisy, Chrom, etc) I feel like I'm sitting here on the sidelines waiting for the time a character I genuinely want will arrive to make me super excited.

Veterans are great, but they don't excite me as much as delicious new content. I'd cut half the roster to replace them with exciting new fighters. Unpopular opinion for sure, but I'm not super psyched about most the cast who have been cut before with the sole exception of Pokemon Trainer and maybe Roy and Mewtwo if I'm feeling particularly generous.

D

Deleted member

No, it's really not, they've outright confirmed it

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Nah. Not enough new characters for me.
Are you planning on playing every single new character or just a few characters at a time like most people

Just curious
I'm probably gonna end up defaulting to Random again like I used to do because I wanna play everyone (though, i really wanna main Inkling / secondary Sheik, so we'll see)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If SSBU were released tomorrow with everything and only everything, would you be happy?
Popping in real fast to say: no. I’d need Elma and Bandana Dee at least, and them + Chorus Kids, Isaac and/or Buzzwole at most, then I’ll be good.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Normally I'm the one that goes "your fan rules are all pretty stupid" but the whole echo fighters needing to be the same proportions thing is about one of the only threads holding them together as a category.
If Pichu suddenly qualified to be an Echo, for instance, then there's virtually no difference between clones and echos, so it makes sense to think at least that as a boundary would be there.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the "fan rule" thing everyone does too, personally, but this is probably not one of those cases.
to continue on this, weight and other attributes are also important or Dr. Mario would be one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A bit late on this but consider this: Richter is so hot-blooded that he can try (and fail) to do an item crash with a KEY. The floating bandana is just his raw energy leaking through.

I'm just saying, if we got 9-Volt we'd have the closet thing to Team Captain N in legal terms.
9-Volt, Peach and Duck Hunt paired with Simon, MegaMan and Pit.
I wouldn’t mind if Ashley was turned down for Mona. Seniority and all
If neither of those or Jimmy get in, I'd also accept Dribble & Spitz, running over opponents with a taxi cab is a hilarious prospect. Vroom-vroom!

Speaking of characters that are only vaguely related to nintendo and would fit more on a PC "smash bros" game.
View attachment 157367
When?
The only worm I'd accept making it in is Jim, as impossible it may seem.

Enchess

Smash Lord
FNAF... It's bad enough people want 3rd party horror reps over 1st party ones in general, but if we're going 3rd party at least do Leon or Pyramid Head....

If we're really gonna do indie horror game reps that are known mostly for YouTubers with decent following obsessing over them, we should have Newmaker from Petscop. The game might not be real, but at least it's good

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
59BC9D6C-00A4-4271-B45C-956D8A9530C4-1840-0000036A6A5BC6F0.jpeg
970486F5-2417-48C2-ABFC-B761EAB19911-1840-0000036A6DEE8BD2.jpeg

So since we on the topic of mad fan theories about Sakurai hinting at characters, then why is it that this setting is near identical to DBZ.

K. Rool is also on the same side that Android 17 is on (both baddies) while the heroes is on The right side where both scenes then has an Air-blast/wave when they punch each other fists. Forget the poses (people argue that its common for Japan (still doesn't explain the setting) however); I know we not going to sit here and pretend the SAME setting with (Big Sun; sunset, some clouds).

If Sakurai is just referencing this and _____ is not legit, I see a lot of salty supporters of you know who. This went viral on Twitter etc; even Alpharad (casuals apparently watch him?) mentioned this.

I need answers; this is far more obvious and DBZ fans were able to recognize this last scene than these mad Isaac theories. I honestly was very very doubtful of him being DLC let alone in the base game; but this is some shady stuff going on herez; why reference this DBZ scene if he's not in? More salt? Mind you this is also from the same company that makes DBZ games working on Smash (Bandai Namco).

DBZFighters comes on in September; there should be a Nintendo Direct to discuss the online services in September. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW. Illuminati confirmed.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The idea of Joker in Smash has really grown on me tbh, I’d be happy with literally anything from Persona, music, Trophies, a Stage, Mii Costumes, anything from the series would make me happy.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Alright lads it's about time for another forum game.
List bosses you want for Spirits mode (assuming that's where you fight Dracula and Rathalos)

In my mind, bosses may be exclusive to certain characters for their own series or they're just randomized for funsies. Let's get this started.
King Bob-Omb

This dude's probably one of the most iconic Mario bosses period. He's a durable boi and has numerous of one of the strongest items in the game at his disposal. I think he'd be very powerful. Maybe there's a gimmick where you have to learn how to grab items by airdodging to throw bombs back at him to make him vulnerable, and I think that'd be a very useful fight to teach players some of the more advanced techniques that have been around since Melee.

Metal Face
Untitled.png

He's already a boss on Gaur Plains. I think he's such a big character in the game before the spoilerfest begins that he could get an upgrade to something more advanced. The stage for Rathalos and Gaur Plains have similar textures as I've seen it, so it could be an easy build for the stage itself. I'd rather have Sword Valley, but if it's easier and faster, then that'll probably take priority.
I could list more but I don't my head for making stupid long posts.

D

Deleted member

The idea of Joker in Smash has really grown on me tbh, I’d be happy with literally anything from Persona, music, Trophies, a Stage, Mii Costumes, anything from the series would make me happy.
I thought you were talking about THE Joker and now I'm disappointed because honestly, Joker would be a much better choice than Batman to rep the Batman series. Don't @ me.
No, because I wouldn't be able to play as Isabelle
Incredibly valid opinion

forwardaerial

Smash Cadet
View attachment 157377View attachment 157378

So since we on the topic of mad fan theories about Sakurai hinting at characters, then why is it that this setting is near identical to DBZ.

K. Rool is also on the same side that Android 17 is on (both baddies) while the heroes is on The right side where both scenes then has an Air-blast/wave when they punch each other fists. Forget the poses (people argue that its common for Japan however); I know we not going to sit here and pretend the SAME setting with (Big Sun; sunset, some clouds).

If Sakurai is just referencing this and GOKU is not legit, I see a lot of salty supporters of you know who. This went viral on Twitter etc; even Alpharad (casuals apparently watch him?) mentioned this.

I need answers; this is far more obvious and DBZ fans were able to recognize this last seen than these mad Isaac theories.[/QUOTE
Cue X-Files music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom