• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Hey. Anyone think we're getting challenges back? That's the one feature from Brawl that I loved the most, I love doing stuff to unlock things and how the unlockables relate to what I did. I'd be pretty bummed if it wasn't back... (also, it's so weird that we have yet to hear anything about trophies)
As someone who 100%;d the 3DS version, I grew to despise challenges.

It took me FOREVER to finish that ****ing one with the streetpass minigame.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know what would make me lose my mind?
Game & Watch's "Challenger Approaching!" silhouette is pure white

As someone who 100%;d the 3DS version, I grew to despise challenges.

It took me FOREVER to finish that ****ing one with the streetpass minigame.
I just used a hammer on that. Getting everyone's customs was a ***** because it was the absolute last one I needed to both 100% challenges and trophies.

Inverse.com has the wrong ideaView attachment 157002
my soul hurts

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Smash 4 isn't nearly as bad as some people make them out to be, but this game is making Smash 4 seem tiny in comparison.
Is there even a reason to use my Wii U anymore?
Well if you ever have need for a doorstop... there you go.
Sakurai makes games that make hundreds of thousands of people of all ages happy.

I'd like to think seeing reaction videos "gives him life", so to speak. :laugh:
How do you think he stays young? Laughter and happiness are the keys to imorta- *struck with blow dart* *snores*
I blame people sleeping on how popular Isabelle is for the tonal differences in Smash and Animal Crossing.

It really surprises me how many people have never even touched Animal Crossing on this board and don't even realize that it's a lot bigger of a franchise than even some of the classics in terms of how much it's played by a casual audience and even a lot of Nintendo fans.
Sleep is for the weak. I'm hopeful for Isabelle's inclusion, since Kapp'n is taking over AT duties (characters wanna get off Mr. Kapp'n's wild ride). The only AC game I played was AC City Folk. I loved that game, but I can't find it:(.

I would buy New Leaf, and play it until an AC game for Switch comes out. However, after playing Smash for 3DS... Well let me just ask, can I still play New Leaf, without the use of my shoulder buttons?
A Sora & Roxas newcomer and Echo combo would be pretty badass
Though Roxas is a good choice, but I'd prefer Riku as an echo, or have Roxas and Riku as alts. I would like Kairi to be an alt or echo too since those three are basically The Three Musketeers. But that's asking too much, just Sora alone would probably bring a tear to my eye, and she would unfortunately be a AT.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Hey. Anyone think we're getting challenges back? That's the one feature from Brawl that I loved the most, I love doing stuff to unlock things and how the unlockables relate to what I did. I'd be pretty bummed if it wasn't back... (also, it's so weird that we have yet to hear anything about trophies)
My main problem with the challenges is the way that Smash Wii U handled the harder challenges. You expect me to clear the highest intensity without losing a single life? Even Brawl's challenges weren't that absurd.

Last edited:

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
With Final Fantasy only getting 2 songs, I worry about Geno’s chances. I feel like Square-Enix is being stingy. We don’t even have a Square-Enix Assist Trophy. Other companies seem like they are willing to play ball, but not Square. That’s really the only thing keeping me from believing that Geno has a shot.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I’m confused. If Sakurai truly did vistit both Yacht Club Games and WayForward, how come we never talked about Shantae or Shovel Knight as viable candidates? This is the first time I’m hearing about this and I don’t even know if it’s true.

The only thing I can find on the matter is this:
https://twitter.com/JamesPopStar/status/650072302378315776

Is this what people refer to when they say Sakurai met with WayForward? I could have sworn that was just at a convention or something.
That pic is tagged as in Santa Clarita, which is where WayForward is located.

Still looking for the SG video though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I really don't think Shantae is getting in as playable. She was nowhere near as talked about during the ballot period as Shovel Knight due to that fake Shovel Knight leak.

If anything she really got a boost from said talk.

If she's in. She's an assist trophy just like Shovel Knight.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Geez, as long I keep working til 10:00, I’m never gonna catch up, you people talk way too fast.

So what’s the current subject?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
EVERYONE IS HERE!

AND

EVERYONE IS FALCON/SHANTAE ECHOES!

Sakurai's real endgame.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
With Final Fantasy only getting 2 songs, I worry about Geno’s chances. I feel like Square-Enix is being stingy. We don’t even have a Square-Enix Assist Trophy. Other companies seem like they are willing to play ball, but not Square. That’s really the only thing keeping me from believing that Geno has a shot.
To be fair, it's *Final Fantasy* that has 2 songs. Geno isn't part of Final Fantasy, and his music would more than likely be thrown into whatever the second Mario sound test category is.

Nooooot that it isn't evident of Square being stingy or anything, I totally agree.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
he doesn't have a belly to dance with!
Or anything else, for that matter.

Geez, as long I keep working til 10:00, I’m never gonna catch up, you people talk way too fast.

So what’s the current subject?
Shantae will never be playable. Also, Master Hand is supposed to be playable, so Everyone being in is a lie.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They could have Porky and Eggman as Bowser Jr echoes

Eggman could work perfectly. He could have Moto Bugs

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So Ashley's AT isn't on the website, nor is she in any of the (200+) press images. Feeling more and more like she was added to the trailer last second just to prevent her fans from getting their hopes up. Which of course makes me question why only she got that treatment.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
*Stares at Mr. Saturn still being part of the character roster artwork, wondering what is he even doing here still…*

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
That pic is tagged as in Santa Clarita, which is where WayForward is located.

Still looking for the SG video though.
Isn’t the location just saying where he sent the tweet from? The picture could be old but he could have sent it from his office.

Plus he literally says in the replies that he’s just sharing a memory.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Why do we pretend Falcondorf is no longer a thing? He still has Falcon Punch, Falcon Kick, Falcon Dive, Up Tilt animation, Dash Attack, and all the aerials. Just because his smashes are sword attacks (recycled from other characters at that) and his other normals are different doesn't make him any less Falcondorf. If he were to have his 3 specials changed then I would agree but that is not the case.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So Ashley's AT isn't on the website, nor is she in any of the (200+) press images. Feeling more and more like she was added to the trailer last second just to prevent her fans from getting their hopes up. Which of course makes me question why only she got that treatment.
Maybe Sakurai is doing that to make sure they understand why he did that when he reveals Mona.

What? Let a man have his dream...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sorry, but there's no way that Dr. Eggman can be a Bowser Jr. Echo; they're not from the same franchise. Semi-clone perhaps, but definitely not an Echo Fighter.
I don't think it's necessarily a rule. But it's also what I think.

Not going to happen regardless. But he COULD work

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
No way is Shantae is getting in imo, Shovel Knight himself is an Assist Trophy which was considered an honor by his team, that doesn’t suddenly make her a shoe-in for the indie slot if there even is one.

I don’t hate Indie characters, I just think there are tons of mainstream game characters who deserve a spot before them.

No offense to any Shantae supporters, just my personal thoughts.

Last edited:

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Sakurai is focusing on villains.

The next most popular villain is Skull Kid.
I don’t think that’s true. In fact, out of the 8 newcomers we’ve seen so far, only 3 are villains. The theme so far actually seems to be popular, highly requested characters. Just so happens that 3 are villains.

Skull Kid is strange because we still haven’t seen his assist trophy, which always makes me think the character was promoted. However, as we can see with Ashley, this doesn’t always play out the way we think.As for my opinion on Skull Kid, I think he missed his chance. Peak popularity was Brawl with a brief resurgence after the Majora’s Mask remaster. I don’t think we’ll see him playable.

Could be wrong though. And if I am that’s fine, with K. Rool and Ridley, I feel the roster is finally “complete.” Anything else is just a bonus.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Square-Enix is infamously stingy with FF music, even within inside the company. While I do think it's weird FF didn't get a single assist, maybe they're holding of for the Mallow assist alongside Geno.

Man... maybe I'm getting way too hopeful, but I can just picture it. Geno's page will have that 100% predictable, yet beautiful, screenshot of him alongside Mario, Peach, Bowser and the Mallow AT. The gang's all here...

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That is kinda weird, I agree.

After what we've seen this week, it definitely looks like a rule.
Remember the rule everyone assumed, where echos had to basically have the exact same movesets as their source character
I remember
I wouldn't try and make another rule unless it's explicitly stated lol. Otherwise it's just an assumption.
We don't know much about the boundaries of echos.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I really don't think Shantae is getting in as playable. She was nowhere near as talked about during the ballot period as Shovel Knight due to that fake Shovel Knight leak.

Shantae would be an Assist Trophy at best. Unless, somehow Dixie Kong is an unique fighter (not a semi-clone or an echo), and they were to somehow make her an echo of her. However, would it even be possible to do that (make Shantae an echo of Dixie Kong)? The only similarity the characters have is their pretensile hair that they use to attack. Their bodies are too different.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Brother, decedent form 100 years later. Same difference
You’re not wrong there
for some reason, this makes me hope Sega decides to have more remixes for Sonic (and some remixes for Bayonetta, though atleast they both have multiple songs in Smash)
*Stares at Mr. Saturn still being part of the character roster artwork, wondering what is he even doing here still…*
A hidden character reveal
To be fair, it's *Final Fantasy* that has 2 songs. Geno isn't part of Final Fantasy, and his music would more than likely be thrown into whatever the second Mario sound test category is.

Nooooot that it isn't evident of Square being stingy or anything, I totally agree.
Sega can strike with musical remixes now

What if she ends up being playable in Smash?
EVERYONE IS HERE!

AND

EVERYONE IS FALCON/SHANTAE ECHOES!

Sakurai's real endgame.
:ultpalutena: dressed up as Shantae and :ultwario: wearing a K Rool alt

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No way is Shantae is getting in imo, Shovel Knight himself is an Assist Trophy which was considered an honor by his team, that doesn’t suddenly make her a shoe-in for the indie slot if there even is one.

I don’t hate Indie characters, I just think there are tons of mainstream game characters who deserve a spot before them.

No offense to any Shantae supporters, just my personal thoughts.
I just hope that Reimu doesn't get in before anyone else, that would honestly bother me a little.

Does the "no indies" issue count as a fan rule?

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Isn’t the location just saying where he sent the tweet from? The picture could be old but he could have sent it from his office.

Plus he literally says in the replies that he’s just sharing a memory.
Fair enough. I still can't find the video it's in (I think it's in their latest 3 hour leak discussion video but that's herculean to go through again). Googling takes me back to the Smashboards Shantae threads and GameFaqs, which both use the Twitter picture you already posted as evidence. I guess opinion on those has been it's Sakurai at WayForward rather than a convention.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sakurai massacred Waluigi and Ashley in such a weird way.

Waluigi got to be ''YOU CAN KILL THESE GUYS NOW!"

Ashley didn't even get a label.

I think like Toad? The entire Wario supporting cast slept with his wife.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
"Oh crap people are expecting Ashley and the direct is tomorrow. Quick! Record a match with her assist trophy and put it at the end of the AT demonstration!"

Ashley really did feel like a last second add to the direct. Was really weird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom