• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
No? If Skull Kid doesn't make it in I wouldn't start complaining. I'm completely content as it is. Maybe "hate" is too strong of a word.
Ignoring the post, cause,

Bro, I'm not going to take you seriously anymore with that as your avatar.
You've made it blatantly clear that you can't really hold a conversation without getting salty about it and just getting mad at the person lol

Man, really, I can't believe you changed your avatar cause Will Will said something you don't like
He says a bunch of things I don't like but that's literally a thing that happens in open discussion threads
lmfao

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've been saying that Young Link's final smash is probably going to end up being more interesting than a triforce slash this time, but people keep going "BUT THE TRIFORCE SLASH IS EASIER", so we'll see what happens and whether or not I can feel justified for a correct prediction.... again. Lol.
75% chance it involves Fierce Deity, 15% chance it involves the Giant's Mask, 5% the Call to Order, and 5% Skull Kid/Majora's Wrath in my opinion.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I personally never found it malicious. I think Nintendo just severely underestimated how much fans love K. Rool and the Kremlings. I’m glad we showed them.
Ah, my bad, I misunderstood the tone you used. Still, can't say I'm surprised from Shigeru "Paper Mario shouldn't be about story hut rather gimmicks, F-Zero needs a new control scheme and Star Fox Zero doesn't have a ****ing terrible control scheme I swear" Miyamoto

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Amazing what an extra word can add to google results
Anyway, yeah, they did indeed say Kremlings weren't necessary. Though you gotta remember Miyamoto played the biggest part here and that guy tends to push for new things just for the sake of new things. Only time I remember Miyamoto being told no is making Christianity Hyrule's religion (Explains the cross on the Magic Shield in Zelda 1 don't it?). From what I can find Miyamoto's involvement in Metroid Prime was "Make Americans make the game, they love Metroid"
Miyamoto had a supervisor role for Prime, it definitely went beyond him just assigning the game to an American studio. There's a story that after they had been working on the first game for quite some time and had presented the initial pitch to Miyamoto the developers at Retro began doubting that Nintendo wouldn't like the heavy focus on first person shooting, and so tried to include some sidescrolling elements to it. Once Miyamoto came in to check on the project he was apparently furious with how they had changed it from the original vision, and demanded they dialed it back to focus on the first person elements. There's no doubt he at least steered them in the right direction.

Metroid didn't have this "Americans love it" reputation that it has today back then either, Metroid and Super Metroid both sold more in Japan than in America.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
75% chance it involves Fierce Deity, 15% chance it involves the Giant's Mask, 5% the Call to Order, and 5% Skull Kid/Majora's Wrath in my opinion.
Oooh, the Giant's mask would be cool.
My previous "wishlist" FS for him was, he would play the oath to order but only 3 giants would show up and the moon would fall on everyone.

But since the moon falling is an assist now... lol

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
okay but what was the point of it
it ain't "all good" :4charizard:

Ganon's Final Smash but Fierce Deity makes a giant ass sword and slash

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So Young Link is OoT Young Link as opposed to MM Link.
This leads me to believe that the final Smash won't be Fierce Deity.

Now, my personal theory on what the Final Smash will be is that it's going to be Triforce Slash... with a twist.
Instead of just doing the same-old same-old, Young Link will first draw the Master Sword from the pedestal, transform into adult OoT Link, Triforce Slash, and when he's done, re-insert it into the pedestal.
It'll be a callback to one of OoT's most memorable moments, distinctly unique from Toon Link's Final Smash, and be relatively light on resources to implement compared to creating an entirely new final smash for a clone.

Ignoring the post, cause,

Bro, I'm not going to take you seriously anymore with that as your avatar.
You've made it blatantly clear that you can't really hold a conversation without getting salty about it and just getting mad at the person lol

Man, really, I can't believe you changed your avatar cause Will Will said something you don't like
He says a bunch of things I don't like but that's literally a thing that happens in open discussion threads
lmfao
I thought my name made it obvious enough that I’m not here to be serious.

Also having fun does not equal salty.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Random thought… I know i will get murdered Negan style by Geno fans for saying this, but hear me out… if we "ignore" the fact that Sora has it hard to make it in because of Disney issues, or heck, if we places ourselves in a timeline where Sakurai manages to get him in the game despite that huge wall of dififculty… Wouldn't Sora be a better/more possible second inclussion of a SE rep for Smash (I know he is Disney's but i consider him to be SE's at the same time) since Sora has had even more appareances in Nintendo than Geno has + it would be very convenient that KH3 is launching a month after Smash Ultimate? Just a thought… just ignore me if you get too triggered about this lol
Idk man, I feel like Geno has much better potential for a unique moveset than Sora, and more appearances don't necessarily mean they deserve the spotmore. Persona 4's Yu Narukami has more appearances than Geno (Persona Q and BBTAG, soon to be Persona Q2), but that doesn't mean he deserves the spot more than Geno.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
So Young Link is OoT Young Link as opposed to MM Link.
This leads me to believe that the final Smash won't be Fierce Deity.
We all know that all of his items and stuff are OoT items.
And your theory FS is cool too, don't get me wrong, but I don't really think his not referencing MM outright means it's off the table for him to do so with his FS.
Wouldn't hurt my feeling any if he didn't, but I think it's absurd that it's impossible. They are literally the same person, regardless of what he has in his inventory haha.

That said, it is a pretty solid observation, to be fair. This is just how i'm choosing to see it since it's still kinda open ended.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I feel like some people are being a little too harsh when it comes to recent characters. There’s only really three possible candidates when it comes to characters from games that came out in the last couple of years:

Elma, SM Pokemon, Rhythm Heaven

I honestly think we can survive if all of these three got in, which is pretty probable, and we still have some characters people want. And they’ll still be more ballot picks than recent characters anyways.

Smash Ultimate is really supposed to be a game that represents the entirety of Nintendo’s history. That’s why we got Simon, Castlevania was one of the last BIG franchises that were extremely popular during the NES era. King K. Rool is Donkey Kong’s well known villain from the SNES era. Ridley is one of the most infamous Metroid Villian throughout the entire series. Splatoon is one of Nintendo’s recent flagship titles.

If there’s anything to go by, Geno was one of the last characters Nintendo and Square Enix worked together after they left. Isaac probably represents one of the biggest Gameboy Advance series that was Nintendo’s first attempt at creating a JRPG series that still has a very strong fan base to this day. Heck, Xenoblade X is one of Nintendo’s most boundary breaking title in terms of it’s world. Did you see the comparison between Skyrim and X, and it even sold well,

And even if you look at some smaller examples like Sin and Punishment and Famicom Tentei Club, they show Nintendo’s attempts at trying to expand on what they originally had by having a more gruesome on rail shooter, and a thrilling visual novel to appeal to different fans. Nintendo didn’t take off with them when they had the chance, but the series are considered cult classics.

So when looking at what Sakurai is doing, I feel that he is trying to showcase as many different parts of Nintendo as possible. It so happens that a lot of fan favorite are characters that represent a lot of different parts of Nintendo and their history, and I think he assumed that is what people wanted and is trying to add as many different diverse Nintendo franchises.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Well somewhat. Isa recovery would probably utilize his signature jet pack like module on his back to allow for a flight mechanic of sort. Saki sorely lacks that in any capacity.

Although, to be honest there really isn’t anything stoping Saki from becoming an Isa echo. It could be one of those situations where there are two characters that echo each other.

But I’m honestly betting on Isa, since based on my assumption, it’s possible he was considered before and reconsidered again, and decided to have Saki echo him.
But there's no reason Saki can't use Isa's jetpack like Ness uses Poo and Paula's techniques.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I thought my name made it obvious enough that I’m not here to be serious.

Also having fun does not equal salty.
I mean, look at the members part of the site and check the most liked list. It's ok to **** about, it's a favourite past time of mine but what you did could easily get you in trouble with mods. Trust me, I should know.

Also, I saw someone say Galacta Knight as an MK echo. I'd like that but he always has his trusty shield. Meta Knight... Kinda doesn't have one

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Now that I think about it Geno would be an even better rep for Mario RPGs than Paper Mario.

When it comes to Paper Mario. Only 2 of the 5 games are RPGS, and the last good one was in 2007. They've explicitly referred to it as an "action adventure series" (Ugh)

I still think TTYD is the best Mario RPG of all-time, but Geno is still pure in a way that Paper Mario is not. (Please make a good Paper Mario again!!!)

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Speaking as someone who's not into Zelda, does it bug any of yall that Ultimate's Link, Zelda and Ganon don't know each other?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Now that I think about it Geno would be an even better rep for Mario RPGs than Paper Mario.

When it comes to Paper Mario. Only 2 of the 5 games are RPGS, and the last good one was in 2007. They've explicitly referred to it as an "action adventure series" (Ugh)

I still think TTYD is the best Mario RPG of all-time, but Geno is still pure in a way that Paper Mario is not. (Please make a good Paper Mario again!!!)
I would kill a man for Thousand Year Door 2.
Heck, i'd kill a man for a story as good as Super Paper Mario's.
If you fused the gameplay of TTYD, with the story and humor of SPM, you'd have a perfect Paper Mario game in my opinion.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I mean, look at the members part of the site and check the most liked list. It's ok to **** about, it's a favourite past time of mine but what you did could easily get you in trouble with mods. Trust me, I should know.

Also, I saw someone say Galacta Knight as an MK echo. I'd like that but he always has his trusty shield. Meta Knight... Kinda doesn't have one
It would matter about as much as Link's shield in actuality.

But a skin sounds likely regardless

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Canonically, MM is a direct sequel to OoT and it's the same Link. The Young Link in Smash has fire arrows and a hookshot too, abilities Young Link in OoT couldn't use.
I know they're the same person, but I also know they are entirely different time periods in a character's life.

Anyways, I don't think the Fire Arrow nor the hookshot is a reference to MM, but rather a reference to Adult Link of OoT since he uses OoT versions and which the adult Link CAN use.
It's the same way Adult Link using the boomerang in Melee isn't a reference to MM, but rather a reference to Young Link.

As far as I know, the only MM reference Smash Young Link has is his new fairy taunt where he sticks his finger out just like the artwork for that game.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Speaking as someone who's not into Zelda, does it bug any of yall that Ultimate's Link, Zelda and Ganon don't know each other?
I was laughing about this with a friend last night, as we saw this in the King K Rool trailer. It's like a kick in the balls to all of the fans (including me) who have been arguing about the timeline placement of things for like…forever now, lol.

D

Deleted member

Something stupid I thought of today: Galacta Knight winds up being an Echo of Metaknight but his build is based off BRAWL Metaknight but actually makes sense because in the canon he was a warrior so destructive that he was sealed away. The crazy thing is that I could totally see this happening, along with Impa being an Echo of Melee Sheik.
Nah, man.
Dark Meta Knight as the Echo who happens to be even more broken than Brawl MK because he doesn't believe in the concept of a "fair fight". :p

As well as Mirror bull**** with his sword. :V

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
But... Link's shield actually stops many kinds of projectiles if he's standing still or walking. Toon Link has the same deal but he can't walk with it
A small detail that doesn't require tweaking much. It's not like It's a specific nove tied down to a certain button. It's easily implemented and nothing too broken for the character, as he can still play relatively similar

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Meta Knight's neutral pose doesn't even have his offhand toward the enemy, the shield wouldn't be much of an issue if they just copy-paste the rigging for him and making a new shield model to slap on.

Course if we have Galacta Knight, I'd like to see Dark Meta Knight and Morpho Knight included as well.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's a comic I've seen that goes into this. Link trusts Ganon because Gerudos are good people in his time period and Zelda doesn't know Ganondorf eventually turns into Ganon. Meanwhile, Young Link and Toon Link know that Ganondorf is a huge POS and barely restrain themselves from jumping him right then and there.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Does Zelda even have a timeline lol. Zelda 2 and Majora's Mask are the only ones that feel like direct sequels. (I heard the DS ones might be direct sequels too but I haven't played those) For the rest of them it seems like something they just make up as they go along.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
There's a comic I've seen that goes into this. Link trusts Ganon because Gerudos are good people in his time period and Zelda doesn't know Ganondorf eventually turns into Ganon. Meanwhile, Young Link and Toon Link know that Ganondorf is a huge POS and barely restrain themselves from jumping him right then and there.
I know the one, that comic was pretty damn funny haha.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
But there's no reason Saki can't use Isa's jetpack like Ness uses Poo and Paula's techniques.
I think Sakurai passed that point now then back during Melee/64.

I mean, Isa is literally Saki’s son seventeen years into the future in a very different setting where technology is a lot more advanced. It’s a game mechanic that was introduced in it’s sequel not present in Saki’s game that Saki doesn’t even remotely shown using or even able to get one to use.

But, I’m just trying to push for Isa. And I hope he gets in. Or any Sin and Punishment Rep in general, but more so Isa.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Considering the trailer was called "Rivals", I'm surprised :ultdarkpit: wasn't shown.

Also, I assume :ultkingdedede: wasn't shown in the reel of characters shown off because he was the one faking out K. Rool.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Is there any moves where Galacta Knight even uses his shield? It's been a minute since I played a Kirby game after Robobot, so I don't remember.

Not that I think he's getting in as a clone.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
You know, what even is Morpho Knight? It just seems like a shoehorned reskin with no relevance to Kirby's canon at all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Is there any moves where Galacta Knight even uses his shield? It's been a minute since I played a Kirby game after Robobot, so I don't remember.

Not that I think he's getting in as a clone.
He shoots a beam out of it but he likes to block a lot in the 3D games. I'd be severely disappointed either way if he's an echo because it's just a disservice to the traditional super boss with a lot of stuff, some of which Meta Knight didn't even incorporate into his moveset in Smash.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Considering the trailer was called "Rivals", I'm surprised :ultdarkpit: wasn't shown.

Also, I assume :ultkingdedede: wasn't shown in the reel of characters shown off because he was the one faking out K. Rool.
I bet Hades will be the big bad guy for KI in Ultimate. Heck, he could be the main bad guy in the "spirits" mode if it is about the characters that are getting killed in the reveal trailers. Hades is able to turn spirits into his own army of monsters I believe,

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Does Zelda even have a timeline lol. Zelda 2 and Majora's Mask are the only ones that feel like direct sequels. (I heard the DS ones might be direct sequels too but I haven't played those) For the rest of them it seems like something they just make up as they go along.
Wind Waker makes it pretty clear it takes place a long time after OOT

Theres even glass stained windows of the 7 sages from OOT in WW hyrule castle

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Well, they showed the rivals from the original franchises, yeah?
Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Star Fox, Metroid, and DK with K. Rool.

That leaves Pokemon and Yoshi, who don't really have one in the game right now.
Kid Icarus wasn't until Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom