• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
For a Pokemon Trainer specific "rival" character, then yeah I can see it. But as far as Pikachu goes, I hold that Jigglypuff is his specific rival haha.

Poor Yoshi, though
Yes, a true fan knows such, but putting an epic battle between Pikachu and Jigglypuff up on the screen would likely have raised questions among the filthy casuals

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yes, a true fan knows such, but putting an epic battle between Pikachu and Jigglypuff up on the screen would likely have raised questions among the filthy casuals
It literally woulda just been a Pokemon battle. Insignificant compared to the others :(

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I'm a Sega fan myself, but tbh they have no all stars that really deserve to be in smash. Even Bayonetta getting in is pretty shocking
All sega classic arcades like fanatsy zone, space harrier, virtua fighter are super influnetial to the industry.

Also sakurai has thunder force and opa opa toys he shared on Twitter

KMDP

Smash Legend
Other subject: what music tracks would you guys want in the game from games that aren't represented by characters yet (like the galaga medley and the like)?

Mine would be this one: the epitome of great NES music for me :

Considering Bomberman is now in the game, I'd like to hear this:
Yes, I know Wario is already represented. :laugh:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
It literally woulda just been a Pokemon battle. Insignificant compared to the others :(
As any scene they could've depicted would've been.

To be fair, Lucario in X and Y, which we know our Lucario is now from, had that famous scene where he made Pikachu his ***** in the X and Y anime. It was honestly among the more brutal fights they've shown involving Pikachu.

Actually, just about every character on the roster has been in battle with Pikachu.
Greninja is the only exception, I think, other than Pichu, of course.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Galacta Knight should be a boss character rather than an echo. Fits his role in the series as being a bonus fight anyway.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Speaking as someone who's not into Zelda, does it bug any of yall that Ultimate's Link, Zelda and Ganon don't know each other?
I was laughing about this with a friend last night, as we saw this in the King K Rool trailer. It's like a kick in the balls to all of the fans (including me) who have been arguing about the timeline placement of things for like…forever now, lol.
Even though it looks somewhat weird to see how much variety the Zelda character designs are now that they’re mostly from different games (BOTW, OoT/MM, ALBW, WW/PH/ST/others), it also feels extremely right and amazing.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
As any scene they could've depicted would've been.

To be fair, Lucario in X and Y, which we know our Lucario is now from, had that famous scene where he made Pikachu his ***** in the X and Y anime. It was honestly among the more brutal fights they've shown involving Pikachu.

Actually, just about every character on the roster has been in battle with Pikachu.
Greninja is the only exception, I think, other than Pichu, of course.
Lucario also eliminated Pikachu in the Unova League.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A few things to touch on (man this thread moves fast!):

1) the “relevancy” argument defeats itself imo. At this point, if we’re freaking talking about Geno, he has remained relevant to an extent because of the fans who were impacted by him in SMRPG. Sora would absolutely be an amazing pick, but that’s not entirely in Sakurai’s hands. It comes down to whose licensing Nintendo can successfully negotiate for and obtain.

2) This will get flak. If there is no Xenoblade newcomer on base roster, then I have a tough time seeing Elma get picked over Rex and Pyra for DLC. Sakurai played XC2 while working on SSBU, and loved the game. Would he pick the lead from the more recent Switch game with a popular character, or the also popular but older game? Time will tell, but I think we’d get Rex and Pyra.

3) Despite Echo Fighters allowing for more characters to get in more easily, people are reeeeeaaaally stretching the definition of “a few more”. In my humble opinion, “a few more” doesn’t mean 8 to 10 echoes on top of newcomers. To me, “a few more” means 4-8 total additional newcomers INCLUDING Echo Fighters.

The man says to “not expect as many newcomers” as previous entries, but we have homies thinking we’re going to get 10 more newcomers? That would MATCH Brawl if i’m not mistaken.

The max I would say would be 15 total, including echoes.

4) Something to consider. Sakurai specifically mentioned the number for music tracks and stages. If there were more to show, I humbly believe that he would not have put the number of 103 as a crowning achievement. They could add more, but i’m not sure they would even have to depending on who the next fighters are.

I’ll expand on this point in another comment in a bit.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thing I just realised, if a leak says somethign about Echos not being planned early and being last minute, consider this:

Richter is in Simon's CGI trailer. I don't think you can make a movie quality model in a rush.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Try playing sonic 1 without thinking 3 min in of wanting to play something better. I dont even care if its "t-the foundation!!!!" its not good

I replayed CD before Mania came out and my god is it the opposite of fun. The level design is horrifying and probably some of the worst in the series.
I could honestly replay Final Rush, the best 3D sonic stage , over and over again and have more fun with it over Sonic CD
I thought you were joking at first. I still enjoy playing Sonic 1-3. Sure there are a few aspects that I think could use updating, but overall it's still a blast.

Did I see you say the Sonic Adventure Battle games were better? Or were you talking about something different? Those games completely lost me (and turned the franchise in a really weird direction in my opinion)

I'd still be down for Shadow though. But I'd take OG Metal Sonic over Shadow any day!!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
2) This will get flak. If there is no Xenoblade newcomer on base roster, then I have a tough time seeing Elma get picked over Rex and Pyra for DLC. Sakurai played XC2 while working on SSBU, and loved the game. Would he pick the lead from the more recent Switch game with a popular character, or the also popular but older game? Time will tell, but I think we’d get Rex and Pyra.
Well I don't see why this is controversial as the base roster would definitely be a now-or-never situation for Elma unless XCX2 ends up being a thing sometime during the DLC cycle. Granted, given how heavy the emphasis is of big-time popular characters for all our unique newcomers, I don't even see Elma having a chance at this point.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
This is just a tinfoil but, has Pikachu ever fought an Incineroar or Decidueye in the anime yet?

If he's only fought one of them, then they're basically confirmed.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well I don't see why this is controversial as the base roster would definitely be a now-or-never situation for Elma unless XCX2 ends up being a thing sometime during the DLC cycle. Granted, given how heavy the emphasis is of big-time popular characters for all our unique newcomers, I don't even see Elma having a chance at this point.
...honestly that's what I was thinking but I didn't want to be too harsh. I know people genuinely like the character, and I don't really want to be a **** about it in all honesty.

What WILL get me flak from everybody is this: I think BWD is in the same boat in terms of getting the shaft this time around.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I thought you were joking at first. I still enjoy playing Sonic 1-3. Sure there are a few aspects that I think could use updating, but overall it's still a blast.

Did I see you say the Sonic Adventure Battle games were better? Or were you talking about something different? Those games completely lost me (and turned the franchise in a really weird direction in my opinion)

I'd still be down for Shadow though. But I'd take OG Metal Sonic over Shadow any day!!
Metal Sonic as an alt would be better...or a boss. Shadow as a playable character makes more sense and is more than likely the most wanted 2nd rep for Sonic other than possibly Tails.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
When everyone says Elma has a chance only because of relevance but you voted Elma in the ballot...

I know of like... five more who voted Elma. It's gotta count for something, right? Right?

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Sonics 1-3 + CD hold up way better than the Adventure games and are just better games in general imo. 1 and CD don't have perfect level design but those are still minor compared to the massive list of faults with the Adventure games.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Thing I just realised, if a leak says somethign about Echos not being planned early and being last minute, consider this:

Richter is in Simon's CGI trailer. I don't think you can make a movie quality model in a rush.
You can plan Roy to be in way ahead of time, but you can't plan Ganondorf conveniently fitting Falcon's model.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Metal Sonic as an alt would be better...or a boss. Shadow as a playable character makes more sense and is more than likely the most wanted 2nd rep for Sonic other than possibly Tails.
Metal Sonic as an alt wouldn't make sense. He can't extend the metal parts on his head for the Up-throw.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I’m getting kinda excited thinking about the potential for cool bosses in story/adventure mode.

Talking about Skull Kid or Majora earlier (maybe to unlock young link), this current talk about Galactica Knight (to unlock meta knight), it’s all pretty good. I wonder what else would make damn good fights especially if we get to see characters that we wouldn’t have otherwise.
And I’m sure mutiple characters could be unlocked from from the same fight / branch/ path or whatever. Like Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf all being unlocked from fighting OoT Ganon on top of his castle.

Last edited:

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
It’s probably nothing. Apparently she said that there was going to be a new Kid Icarus character for Smash Ultimate, but no one proved it yet with any pictures or links.
-Completely unrelated-"GASP" You mean... a Killer Instinct character? Does that mean...no way.. FULGORE IS COMING!! #FULGORE4SMASHULTIMATE! (So sorry, I had to put it off my chest because both Kid Icarus & Killer Instinct have the same initials.)

All jokes aside, I hope it's either Viridi or Medusa, or both, but that's reaching it. I just love me some KI!

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I thought Ash battled a dude with an Incineroar in the "I choose you" movie
You heard it here, folks. By my calculations, I can deduce that Incineroar is the most likely Pokémon rep - and no, this is not a tinfoil hat, I promise you - No, really... I-I swear!

Anyways, feel free to quote me on this. I wanna have a good laugh a couple months from now.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here's the thing about Spirits if it includes boss battles. Will we get preexisting characters like Rathalos, or will we get

Untitled.png

"im sorry, who?"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
A few things to touch on (man this thread moves fast!):

1) the “relevancy” argument defeats itself imo. At this point, if we’re freaking talking about Geno, he has remained relevant to an extent because of the fans who were impacted by him in SMRPG. Sora would absolutely be an amazing pick, but that’s not entirely in Sakurai’s hands. It comes down to whose licensing Nintendo can successfully negotiate for and obtain.

3) Despite Echo Fighters allowing for more characters to get in more easily, people are reeeeeaaaally stretching the definition of “a few more”. In my humble opinion, “a few more” doesn’t mean 8 to 10 echoes on top of newcomers. To me, “a few more” means 4-8 total additional newcomers INCLUDING Echo Fighters.

The man says to “not expect as many newcomers” as previous entries, but we have homies thinking we’re going to get 10 more newcomers? That would MATCH Brawl if i’m not mistaken.

The max I would say would be 15 total, including echoes.

4) Something to consider. Sakurai specifically have a number for music tracks and stages. If here were more to show, I humbly believe that he would not have put the number of 103 as a crowing achievement. They could, but i’m not sure they would even have to depending on who the next fighters are.

I’ll expand on this point in another comment in a bit.
Agreed. Relevancy is usually very important when deciding fighters, with a few exceptions. Seems to be all fan service characters so far. Would ‘t Be surprised if Sakurai went “Psyche!” And gave us Waluigi at this point.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
True, but I think they can make a minor change to him (I don’t think Diddy can extend his limbs as far in DKC as he does in Smash)

What is that
That is when Lusamine, one of the main villains of Pokémon Sun and Moon, fused with an ultra beast Pokémon from another dimension. Then you fight her.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This is just a tinfoil but, has Pikachu ever fought an Incineroar or Decidueye in the anime yet?

If he's only fought one of them, then they're basically confirmed.
Ash's rival in the "I Choose You" movie last year had an Incineroar.
I know it battled his Charmeleon, but I haven't seen the movie so I don't know if it battled Pikachu.
However, Incineroar is a recurring character in the Sun and Moon anime who has a rivalry with Ash's Torracat. It's hinted that Ash's Torracat may evolve into Incineroar as well.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Read a few pages back and saw people complaining about Dark Samus.

Why are people more upset with her moveset than they are with Chrom's? I know it's not a perfect representation, but we didn't have many other options. Unlike the latter, there's not really anyone else who has moves she could Echo, and I doubt she would've gotten in without being a clone of sorts.
Chrom is Fire Emblem swordfighter #47,938. Him fighting like another character makes sense because even in Fire Emblem these characters all fight with nearly identical styles.

Dark Samus fights essentially nothing like Samus in Metroid Primes 2 or 3. She almost never stops moving and when she does it’s to unleash some huge **** off attack like a Phazon scattershot or slamming like a meteor into the ground. She uses the Morph Ball exactly once and then never again, and never uses the Screw Attack at all.

Dark Samus’s name is incredibly misleading because she’s more akin to Venom than a 1 to 1 clone like Dark Pit or Dark Link. She shares a few abilities with her original but beyond surface level they have nothing in common. It’s especially irksome when Dark Samus uses one of her original, unique abilities as a win animation but not in battle.

That said if they just changed her bomb graphics I’d be 100% fine with her. Metroid Prime and its sequels are my favorite games of all time, so I’d prefer the main antagonist be represented properly, but I’m not going to have a heart attack over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom