• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, they showed the rivals from the original franchises, yeah?
Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Star Fox, Metroid, and DK with K. Rool.

That leaves Pokemon and Yoshi, who don't really have one in the game right now.
Kid Icarus wasn't until Brawl.
Thanks for not saying Mewtwo is Pikachu's rival

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm absolutely certain now that all the remaining unique newcomers are going to be majorly popular characters in some form. I mean, after the crowd-pleasers that were the Inklings, Ridley, Simon and K. Rool, I'm not even sure Sakurai has even any interest in putting in unique Ice Climbers-style curveball characters for the base roster of Ultimate.

Also, with the exception of Chrom and the Inklings (who is the only newcomer who made their debut post-Smash 4), every single newcomer was old enough to have been around for years before even the Brawl roster was finalized in 2005, let alone that game's year of release (youngest among them being Dark Samus who was around since 2002). That's something I'd never expected 7 months ago, especially since Smash 4 had :4greninja::4robinm::4shulk::4lucina::4darkpit: as post-Brawl characters in that game's base roster.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I was laughing about this with a friend last night, as we saw this in the King K Rool trailer. It's like a kick in the balls to all of the fans (including me) who have been arguing about the timeline placement of things for like…forever now, lol.
I'm just confused how Ingo and Talon can survive several Zelda games. Quite a big Time gap in them games. yup.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Feel like you forgot a pretty big one. Unless, you're talking about characters getting in solely on relevancy.
Yes.

Bandanna Waddle Dee isn’t getting in on relevancy. In fact in 2015 and even sometime prior he was nothing more than a filler/background character that wasn’t utilized, which doesn’t bode well for him.

Sadly, I have a feeling he might not get in.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Speaking as someone who's not into Zelda, does it bug any of yall that Ultimate's Link, Zelda and Ganon don't know each other?
They are bound by the Tri-Force, transcending time, so while these reincarnations haven't necessarily met they are still... familiar. So. No problem to me. I like representation from throughout the timeline.

I like to think we now have a Link from each branch of the timeline.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I think people are taking this heroes vs. villains thing a bit too far. That mostly felt like a theme for the K. Rool trailer rather than something that's going to impact the entire game. Ridley, King K Rool and Dark Samus were added for their popularity, not just because they were villains, it just so happens that a lot of villains are popular.

I'm not saying we won't get more villains like Skull Kid, but I don't think we'll be getting more for the sake of them.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Random thought… I know i will get murdered Negan style by Geno fans for saying this, but hear me out… if we "ignore" the fact that Sora has it hard to make it in because of Disney issues, or heck, if we places ourselves in a timeline where Sakurai manages to get him in the game despite that huge wall of dififculty… Wouldn't Sora be a better/more possible second inclussion of a SE rep for Smash (I know he is Disney's but i consider him to be SE's at the same time) since Sora has had even more appareances in Nintendo than Geno has + it would be very convenient that KH3 is launching a month after Smash Ultimate? Just a thought… just ignore me if you get too triggered about this lol
Kingdom Hearts is amongst my top 10 favorite series, but Geno, in my mind organ, would be first in line because of the fans who have waited.
I like Sora a little more than Geno, but I can’t dissociate from the pleas of Smash fans who feel they will never get their fill for their favorite characters.
If we got Geno, and then Sora as DLC or just both, then That’s cool. But when it comes to one over the other, I prefer Geno. Because empathy.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Competitive Players immediately start analyzing move sets instead of enjoying the character. yup. Don’t think i’ll Ever understand the competitive community.

(This is a joke, don’t take it to seriously.)

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Extra lore about the ancients and an implied tie to the mage generals (Yes Kirby has lore and it's surprisingly deep) and the design is actually based off of Meta Knight's concept art
I was aware of the latter, but not all of the former, as I'm aware of Kirby's surprisingly deep lore.

Thank you though

Also, if we're being honest, the plot/writing is Pikachu's greatest rival

Last edited:

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Final Character Predictions based off...
-If the Stage Number total is Final
-The Development Completed in Late 2015
-Hints and Info from the latest Smash Direct
-Assuming we will have one last Direct in October
-Sakuari saying we will have a "few" fighters left

Incineroar
Gen 7 Pokemon feels like a given at this point, whether we get a Melemele Island stage or not.

Skull Kid
Strongly hinted at, especially not being a AT so far

Impa (E)
Easily could fit as Sheiks echo as well as increase Zeldas variety in characters

Dixie (E)
With K. Rool in and this character being cut from brawl, I can see her as something i'd call a "semi echo" like Chrom with everything but her Up special being different using her ponytail similar to DKs up special.

Shadow (E)
Another hinted at character based on AT absence, could be another "semi echo" but this time similar to Dark Samus with Shadows walk animation being original from Skating to being idle. Probably would still have TWO spindashes and a Spring but the spring design most likely from Sonic Adventure 2. Super Shadow with Chaos Spear being his FS. (On another note Sonic had 14 songs in the last installment, in the direct it shows the series now has 20, look out for 6 more tracks from Mania to Forces)

Isabelle (E)
Missing AT, rumored, can easily fit Villager enough said.

Ken (E)
Literally the exact same as Ryu, this would be honestly one of the easiest to implement. Ryu also doesnt have a red uniform for one of his alts. (Also this series jumped from 6 tracks to 36! based on the direct i would say Street Fighter got way more representation.

Geno
Honestly just think he's a staple at this point, if he's not in I would be slightly shocked since Sakuari went through that work to get him a mii costume in Smash 4 but I wouldnt be surprised. I see him as the last character announced.

THOUGHTS:
Other popular choices from the DLC Mii Costumes and from the ballot im preparing to see as assist trophies, collectable trophies or given a cameo in some way. (As much as it would hurt)

Bandana Dee, Heihachi, Lloyd Irving, Black Knight from Fire Emblem, Shantae, Rayman & Rabbids, Minecraft, Banjo Kazooie, Issac from Golden Sun, Akira and Jacky from Virtua Fighter, Gilgamesh, Tails, and lastly Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X (along with Xenoblade X songs for Guar Plains).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yes.

Bandanna Waddle Dee isn’t getting in one relevancy. In fact in 2015 he was nothing more than a filler/background character that wasn’t utilized, which doesn’t bode well for him.

Sadly, I have a feeling he might not get in.
You think he’ll be DLC if he misses the base roster?

Even so, Return to Dream Land came out in 2011, and was the first game with him playable. There was also Triple Deluxe with him as a helpful background character.

The ballot may have helped too

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not directed at anyone in particular but Morpho Knight got made canon with the latest Kirby game as a fusion of Galacta knight and the butterfly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I was aware of the latter, but not all of the former, as I'm aware of Kirby's surprisingly deep lore.

Thank you though

Also, if we're being honest, the plot/writing is Pikachu's greatest rival
Yeah, it's easy to miss it, when Hyness rambles you can easily miss his motivation, what made him evil and implies a relationship to Dark Matter and Galacta. ****ing Kirby doesn't deserve to get lore this deep if we don't get answers

Even so, Return to Dream Land came out in 2011, and was the first game with him playable. There was also Triple Deluxe with him as a helpful background character.
Well, Triple Deluxe was already out by the time Smash released and Bandana Dee didn't even get a trophy. That being said, the fact he's not shown as an assist trophy so far gives me some hope

RandomAce

Smash Champion

I think he might.

Star Allies further solidified himself among the Kirby crew. That and with his increase in popularity might be enough for him to get in afterward. But I think he might be pushed aside for the base roster.

Unless he becomes an AT. Which might be a problem.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Pikachu is the main hero of Pokemon. He fearlessly wages war against the evil forces of Mewtwo.
Is Mewtwo really a bad guy tho?… I'm still wondering these days. (if we talk about the first movie, he kinda redeems himself at the end so… he didn't really remain a villain)

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
At this point, in my head, Pikachu's rival is Jigglypuff looool
You know, actually? If we're going by the first season of the animé, she WAS a regularly reoccuring character that was somewhat antagonistic, if only because she was too stubborn to understand why her audience kept sleeping on her.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Pikachu is the main hero of Pokemon. He fearlessly wages war against the evil forces of Mewtwo.
Thinking about it how the **** did :ultpokemontrainer: live on that snowy ass mountain waiting for some random kid to try to fight him?

Is Mewtwo really a bad guy tho?… I'm still wondering these days. (if we talk about the first movie, he kinda redeems himself at the end so… he didn't really remain a villain)
He's kinda like Shadow but he's more ambiguous on the moral compass.
he also doesnt have guns

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Competitive Players immediately start analyzing move sets instead of enjoying the character. yup. Don’t think i’ll Ever understand the competitive community.

(This is a joke, don’t take it to seriously.)
That's just how competitive players enjoy their favorite characters.
You think Sinji, the best pacman player in the world, probably enjoys the character too as he goes around wearing a Pacman hat.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So did we ever confirm that Emily Rogers **** last night, or was it a bunch of bogus?
What happened? I literally joined today and I think i missed that. I can't even see her tweets anyway so i'm lost about this.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I bet Hades will be the big bad guy for KI in Ultimate. Heck, he could be the main bad guy in the "spirits" mode if it is about the characters that are getting killed in the reveal trailers. Hades is able to turn spirits into his own army of monsters I believe,
I don’t think Pit can handle defeating more people he cares for and/or love (harming Palutena already took a toll on him, don’t think he would be able to handle harming Mario outside of a fair fight)
So did we ever confirm that Emily Rogers **** last night, or was it a bunch of bogus?
No answers yet

Gary for Smash...or Team Rocket...either or works

MainJPW

M.T.A
Try playing sonic 1 without thinking 3 min in of wanting to play something better. I dont even care if its "t-the foundation!!!!" its not good
Sonic 1 definitely has some questionable design choices, but Green Hill Zone and Spring Yard Zone are still better than the entirety of Adventure 1. Zipping through wide open levels, momentum is key, you need to reach new heights and make progress throughout a level. Sonic 1 at least has a compelling and well-made engine even if levels like Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone are ill-equipped in showing that off.

In SA1 the Homing Attack is a great addition because it removes the need for precise movement in a 3d environment, but the controls are janky, levels are full of padding, set pieces and automation that rip control away from the player and the Light Speed Dash in this game is terrible. Sonic is the only fun character and everyone else plays like ****. I don't fault the game for being what it is, it's the first 3D game and released in 1998.

Adventure 2 is linear and relies too heavily on automated set pieces, style over substance level design, and non-organic pathways like trails of enemies and Light Dash Rings suspended over bottomless pits. Emerald Radar from the first game is gimped, Mad Space is the worst level in existence, and mech stages are boring.

And--

I replayed CD before Mania came out and my god is it the opposite of fun. The level design is horrifying and probably some of the worst in the series.
I could honestly replay Final Rush, the best 3D sonic stage , over and over again and have more fun with it over Sonic CD
You must be joking about Final Rush; it's literally just packed with stuff that restricts the player's way to get around them, all while suspending the level over a bottomless pit with your main way of traversing the level being grinding rails.

Final Chase is much better since it at least adds some flexibility, but it's still full of those weird buggy gravity cylinders. These levels are both simultaneously gimmicky and out of place as a whole.

Noipoi

Howdy!

The Pokemon series only has one true rival.
1375764-firered_leafgreen_blue.png
BLUE SMELLS YA LATER!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
What happened? I literally joined today and I think i missed that. I can't even see her tweets anyway so i'm lost about this.
It’s probably nothing. Apparently she said that there was going to be a new Kid Icarus character for Smash Ultimate, but no one proved it yet with any pictures or links.

Also, Welcome to Smashboards!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know, actually? If we're going by the first season of the animé, she WAS a regularly reoccuring character that was somewhat antagonistic, if only because she was too stubborn to understand why her audience kept sleeping on her.
Jigglypuff also kicked Pikachu multiple times in her debut episode before acting innocent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom