• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I say it's a coin toss whether they get in.

If Minecraft stuff IS in the game, then there would really be no reason not to have Banjo-Kazooie in some form, just not sure if it's gonna be another Rayman case.

As for Isaac, yeah, he's just an anomaly. Can't put forth a solid prediction

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I could see DS getting gradually decloned in future games if she sticks around.

I wonder if her inclusion in Smash will lead to her returning to Metroid somehow...?

It’s a good day to be an irrelevant villain.
While I doubt DS will reprise her role as a major villain, I think one or two of the more popular Echoes have a chance of getting Luigified in the future. Although, it's hard to say who would be likely to get those changes. Lucina stayed a clone despite being popular, so sadly, I could see DS staying the same as well.

Honesty I’m not buying that 4chan leak that’s saying Loz claims Skull Kid is in instead of Isabelle. Didn’t Loz say one of his sources was being smoked out for knowing the storyboard of the k. Rool trailer?

So much for laying low, but even then someone can just inspect element and edit crap like that for a fake screenshot

(I’m honestly just more confused than anything atm)
Until they can compose themselves, I'm trying to ignore both Loz and Vergeben's predictions. The only character they've leaked that I somewhat believe is Isabelle, and that's mainly because her AT is missing and Kapp'n was randomly added.

StormC

Smash Hero
Gonna need a source cause this is the closest I can find in which he merely says "there will be no alligators in the game"
https://kotaku.com/5572645/their-orders-are-to-make-a-better-donkey-kong-country
Unless you want to conjure a conspi theory that kotaku intentionally withheld that quote despite it being their interview
On mobile, but there was a YouTube interview where Tanabe said “does [K. Rool] really need to return?” during the press release of DKCR. It was pretty well documented in the K. Rool thread, but I’ll see if I can dig through the almost 200 pages of it later.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
If any sin and punishment character got in I think itd be much more likely to be Saki but that's genuine bias on my part. Saki is the only thing from sin and punishment that ever gets referenced in smash as isa wasnt even a trophy in smash though so that's why I'd lean more towards him
I have a couple of theories as to why Isa would get in. (There is a little bit of bias, but I try to stay constructive).

For instance, it seems that the series was supposed to follow in Isa’s footsteps since the game has an inconclusive ending of the second game. During Smash 4 I assume Sakurai wanted to opt for Isa as that Isa’s perspective is where the series is supposed to be headed along with content from Star Successor but couldn’t because of time constraints (this is also the same theory I used for Golden Sun which explains Isaac’s disappearance), and ended up just leaving Saki ported over.

So, since Sakurai is bring back things and ideas he may have considered previously including Smash 4, I have a reason to believe he looked back at Isaac and Isa to decide if they were to be playable again. Saki hasn’t been shown as an AT yet again, which could mean something, but there’s a lot more moveset potential when it comes to Isa since he has a lot of more stuff to be based on than Saki.

But those are my thoughts.

However, there is something about this roster that I’m noticing, it has something to do with stuff like fan favorites, but it’s something else entirely that I think Ultimate is really taking.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
While Majora is the real threat and the one pulling the strings, almost everyone knows the character as Skull Kid, for that's his only title throughout the game up until the ending, when the Mask finally gain sentience and reveals itself.

Skull Kid is the likeliest, but I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to call the character Majora's Mask or something.
That just made me think about something… If we get a new stage along with Skull kid, his boss battle stage from the Majora's Mask game itself would be so sick to have, not to mention it looks beautiful. Having also the other 4 masks floating around trying to shoot you down every now and then.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know what the craziest part about all of these current events is? The Direct we just got is on the 8th day of the month, just like the Direct that aired way back in March, that revealed this game.

How would you guys rate the inclusion of Isaac and Banjo? I’m certain at least one of them will make it.
90% for both. The only question is, who can make it first.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Even with all veterans, without K. Rool, Ridley, or Dixie, there was a very real chance I might not have bought the game, at least at launch.

Thank god we live in the best timeline.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Imagine not having a freedom of speech
Never thought I'd see this brought up in video game speculation.
Surely it goes both ways then, that people are allowed to be upset at people complaining.
In much the same way people are allowed to complain.

As far as I care it's both annoying, lol. But I wouldn't tell anyone to stop, that's the mods job and it's more productive to ignore it.

That just made me think about something… If we get a new stage along with Skull kid, his boss battle stage from the Majora's Mask game itself would be so sick to have, not to mention it looks beautiful. Having also the other 4 masks floating around trying to shoot you down every now and then.
It'd be cool if not only was Skull Kid playable, Majora was a boss in story mode.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Imagine not having freedom of speech
Seriously, this reminds me of the early days of Awakening criticism.
A: "so yeah, this aspect of the game isn't to my taste."
B: "BUT AWAKENING SAVED THE FRANCHISE."

MainJPW

M.T.A
Imagine thinking the trash that is Sonic 1 and Sonic CD is better than Adventure 1 and 2 lmfao
A game that set the foundation for great classics like 2 and 3 >>> ****ty physics and nasty collision bugs of SA1 LOL.

And only 1/3rd of SA2 is fun. ALL of CD is fun.
Imagine complaining about a roster of over 70 characters
This roster is hot garbage until they add Isaac, Dixie Kong and Lip.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I really want there to be a WTF character for this game, like, as in, a character we know nothing about from an upcoming title just to screw with us.

I'll also take the Just Dance Dancer as an Echo for Wii Fit Trainer, thank you very much.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I have a couple of theories as to why Isa would get in. (There is a little bit of bias, but I try to stay constructive).

For instance, it seems that the series was supposed to follow in Isa’s footsteps since the game has an inconclusive ending of the second game. During Smash 4 I assume Sakurai wanted to opt for Isa as that Isa’s perspective is where the series is supposed to be headed along with content from Star Successor but couldn’t because of time constraints (this is also the same theory I used for Golden Sun which explains Isaac’s disappearance), and ended up just leaving Saki ported over.

So, since Sakurai is bring back things and ideas he may have considered previously including Smash 4, I have a reason to believe he looked back at Isaac and Isa to decide if they were to be playable again. Saki hasn’t been shown as an AT yet again, which could mean something, but there’s a lot more moveset potential when it comes to Isa since he has a lot of more stuff to be based on than Saki.

But those are my thoughts.

However, there is something about this roster that I’m noticing, it has something to do with stuff like fan favorites, but it’s something else entirely that I think Ultimate is really taking.
There's nothing stopping Saki from pulling things from Isa though. Ness and Lucas pull from their party members. Its speculated Shulk pulls one move from Reyn. I mean, Pacman pulls from Galaga of all things.

Saki seems more likely to me because he's the first, he's semi-familiar to Smash players, was acknowledged as a popular requested character in Brawl days, and I like him more and I'm bias.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Never thought I'd see this brought up in video game speculation.
Surely it goes both ways then, that people are allowed to be upset at people complaining.
In much the same way people are allowed to complain.

As far as I care it's both annoying, lol. But I wouldn't tell anyone to stop, that's the mods job and it's more productive to ignore it.

It'd be cool if not only was Skull Kid playable, Majora was a boss in story mode.
Oh wait… damn… Now maybe this is the reason as to why he wasn't an AT… maybe he is a boss battle with all his phases, just like Dracula apparently has his original boss phases too… Now i'm scared that he might end up as a boss and not as playable (altho I wouldn't complain either, because a boss battle of majora would still be amazing in Ultimate)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Sakurai truly can't please everyone. Tragic.
That's dumb.
People are allowed to not like things. People are allowed to like things- it gets annoying and unproductive when either side gets obsessive over slamming people who disagree with them.

Not everybody is going to like everything man, it's okay. That's how the world works.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
On mobile, but there was a YouTube interview where Tanabe said “does [K. Rool] really need to return?” during the press release of DKCR. It was pretty well documented in the K. Rool thread, but I’ll see if I can dig through the almost 200 pages of it later.
I think a google search would have found the thread. Though if you can find it, feel free to share it.

ALSO I listened to the CastleVania tracks we're getting, jesus **** is Dracula's Castle going to be a new favourite just because of Simon's Theme Arcade version

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Oh wait… damn… Now maybe this is the reason as to why he wasn't an AT… maybe he is a boss battle with all his phases, just like Dracula apparently has his original boss phases too… Now i'm scared that he might end up as a boss and not as playable (altho I wouldn't complain either, because a boss battle of majora would still be amazing in Ultimate)
I wouldn't be sad at all. It would mean that Skull Kid ended being a real cool boss fight.
I literally just want him in the game (again) somehow though haha I'm not super restrictive on my wishlist, I won't blow a gasket if they aren't playable, though that would be best timeline.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Seriously, this reminds me of the early days of Awakening criticism.
A: "so yeah, this aspect of the game isn't to my taste."
B: "BUT AWAKENING SAVED THE FRANCHISE."
Reminds me of every Smash game I've ever played.

A: "It's good, but there are a few things I'm not really a fan of."
B: "OMG HOW CAN YOU EVEN COMPLAIN SAKURAI WORKED SO HARD ON THIS GAME AND ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS HATE EVERYTHING HE MADE!!"

FYI, constructive criticism is what got us Bayo nerfs, the returning vets, Ridley, and K. Rool. No one said we had to blindly love every decision.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, what specific battles would you like to see for your main in Classic mode? With Link, maybe they could do a battle where Link has to end Ganondorf (with the beast skin) with the help of Zelda at Great Plateau Tower, called "Ending the Calamity" ( I know that is not Ganon, but still).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If you could choose one series to get more representation what would you choose? For me it would be Earthbound/Mother or F-Zero.
Final Fantasy.

It getting only 2 songs, even in Ultimate which brags about having so many songs, is a ****ing crime given the rich history of awesome music it has.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Skull Kid wouldn't make sense as a boss, because as far as we know, you need to be at least 12 feet tall to ride that ride.

It'd be unprecedented to have such a small target for a boss, is what I'm saying.

Enchess

Smash Lord

That's not remotely close to how this works at all. By that logic Master Chief is confirmed as well.
There are three types of people:
1) "Minecraft is the shoe-in if we get a Microsoft rep because it's their most iconic property"
2) "Master Chief is the shoe-in if we get a Microsoft rep because he's essentially their mascot"
3) "Banjo is the shoe-in if we get a Microsoft rep because he's the most popular amongst Smash's demographic"

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be sad at all. It would mean that Skull Kid ended being a real cool boss fight.
I literally just want him in the game (again) somehow though haha I'm not super restrictive on my wishlist, I won't blow a gasket if they aren't playable, though that would be best timeline.
Him being a boss is probably the most likely case now, now that I think about it. Considering we already got a rival from Zelda series (Ganondorf) shown in the rivals trailer, I doubt we get a new rival for that franchise anymore. Which it might aling with some of the leaks that said that Zelda wouldn't get a newcomer… Unless having 1 rival per series is not a rule at all, then screw all what I just said, lol. Just brain storming about it atm.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Skull Kid wouldn't make sense as a boss, because as far as we know, you need to be at least 12 feet tall to ride that ride.

It'd be unprecedented to have such a small target for a boss, is what I'm saying.
What if he changes forms midway, though?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Funny. That's the exact opposite of the Ridley argument.

"He's too big to be anything more than a stage boss."
"He's too small to be anything more than a playable character."

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Him being a boss is probably the most likely case now, now that I think about it. Considering we already got a rival from Zelda series (Ganondorf) shown in the rivals trailer, I doubt we get a new rival for that franchise anymore. Which it might aling with some of the leaks that said that Zelda wouldn't get a newcomer… Unless having 1 rival per series is not a rule at all, then screw all what I just said, lol. Just brain storming about it atm.
Except Samus got two rivals; Ridley and Dark Samus.

The latter wasn't shown in the trailer, but she definitely counts.

EDIT: Heck, Skull Kid could be a rival to Young Link instead of regular Link.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Oh, that's right.

I completely forgot Tabuu. He's not really giant, right? And yeah, I suppose he could go full Majora's Wrath halfway through.

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom