• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
While not my preferred Zelda choice, I'll take a unique Zelda character no matter who it is so I'm 100% here for skull kid

Also Impa echo please sakurai

StormC

Smash Hero
Not crazy about Skull Kid despite Majora being my favorite Zelda, but I promised I wouldn’t complain about the roster if K. Rool made it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Read a few pages back and saw people complaining about Dark Samus.

Why are people more upset with her moveset than they are with Chrom's? I know it's not a perfect representation, but we didn't have many other options. Unlike the latter, there's not really anyone else who has moves she could Echo, and I doubt she would've gotten in without being a clone of sorts.

So Loz said Skull Kid is in huh?

I completely saw this coming and to be honest I’m completely fine with Skull Kid cause this is now or never for him.
Not quite.

Loz PM'd a friend back in June who believed K. Rool and Skull Kid would be in to promote games. However, this doesn't really make sense with K. Rool, as there's not really anything that's happened in recent years that he could be used to promote. Maybe there's more to it, but most of us are just wondering why he held on to that specific conversation for so long. He hasn't given us any answers, so we're kinda left in the dark here.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Along with the iconic line from Majora's Mask, it HAS tk be accustomed with the laugh/chuckle.

Maybe as the screen fades to black, we hear that soundclip and the textbox appears on the bottom of the screen, which then transitions into the trailer with the Smash cross splitting through the screen.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Still predicting

Geno
Bandana Dee
Heihachi or llyod
someone else.

I am pretty confident on that being the final 4.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Would you rather have the character named Skull Kid or Majora? I know that seems like a really oddball question, but Skull Kids are an entire race. :roll:

EDIT: wait nevermind i'm a big ****ing dumb i forgot he was called skull kid in smash 4 my brain ain't working

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I’m gonna say I will be shocked at this point if neither Isaac or Banjo are added.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Skull Kid? Captain Falcon echo.

Dixie Kong? Captain Falcon echo.

Black Shadow? ...Ganondorf echo.

Make it happen, Saggyguy.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Why are we unironically reading into the chairs
>Sakurai comments on twitter that he has been working so hard that now he have "red eyes"
>Direct starts with simon belmont (bloody tears), Sakurai doesn't have any red eyes, and then K. Rool with his big red eye appears
You cannot trust Sakurai, literally anything he does, says, or eats could be a reference for a new character.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Why are people more upset with her moveset than they are with Chrom's? I know it's not a perfect representation, but we didn't have many other options. Unlike the latter, there's not really anyone else who has moves she could Echo, and I doubt she would've gotten in without being a clone of sorts.

Not quite.

Loz PM'd a friend back in June who believed K. Rool and Skull Kid would be in to promote games. However, this doesn't really make sense with K. Rool, as there's not really anything that's happened in recent years that he could be used to promote. Maybe there's more to it, but most of us are just wondering why he held on to that specific conversation for so long. He hasn't given us any answers, so we're kinda left in the dark here.
Funnily enough I've noticed that a lot of the people complaining about Dark Samus being an echo didn't actually support her or are even fans of her. I'm not saying that's the case with everyone as I'm sure someone will quote and scold me for generalizing like that, but by and large what I saw before she was announced were Dark Samus fans trying to convince everyone else that it'd be okay, realizing that this was her only shot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>Sakurai comments on twitter that he has been working so hard that now he have "red eyes"
>Direct starts with simon belmont (bloody tears), Sakurai doesn't have any red eyes, and then K. Rool with his big red eye appears
You cannot trust Sakurai, literally anything he does, says, or eats could be a reference for a new character.
But we finally have something substential to talk about. It just distracts people from the main topic and feels super annoying because of it.
I'm all for rotating subjects, but we should have standards.

StormC

Smash Hero
I could see DS getting gradually decloned in future games if she sticks around.

I wonder if her inclusion in Smash will lead to her returning to Metroid somehow...?

It’s a good day to be an irrelevant villain.

Shroob

Sup?
I think a lot of people need to realize that Sakurai is as much an entertainer as he is a game developer.

He loves ****ing with us, look at the K.Rool trailer for that. DeDeDe is voiced by him, and he trolled DK and Diddy.

The 'Red-eyes' thing was completely intentional, and the comment about us 'expecting Chrom and Dark Samus' most likely was as well due to how much people scoured the E3 demo, dissecting it bit by bit for new information.

Sakurai's goal is to entertain in both making a good game, but also these presentations where he can communicate with us.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
You ever wander into a forest and then become a Skull Kid

Whatever Sakurai wants it to be
Moveset would be easy. He has a lot he could do given his boss fight. He could use any of the 4 boss masks to partially change his form for several of his attacks. Maybe use the masks to summon them like Zelda’s phantom armor.

The mask can emit energy that stuns or damages.

Majora’s Wrath shows he can have tentacle whips.

The mask can also transform people into something else. I doubt that would happen, but it’s a thought.

I’d hope he would be centered around his mischievous nature.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
While Majora is the real threat and the one pulling the strings, almost everyone knows the character as Skull Kid, for that's his only title throughout the game up until the ending, when the Mask finally gain sentience and reveals itself.

Skull Kid is the likeliest, but I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to call the character Majora's Mask or something.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Not quite.

I'm fine with her drawing from Samus. I just wish with the amount of effort they put into her, they would use some more variation in her moves, like Falco to Fox.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Don't forget Carmilla, she has bloody tears too.

I'm fine with her drawing from Samus. I just wish with the amount of effort they put into her, they would use some more variation in her moves, like Falco to Fox.
That can always happen later in the series. Falco's Reflector used to be done the normal way instead of as a hacky sack, after all.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honesty I’m not buying that 4chan leak that’s saying Loz claims Skull Kid is in instead of Isabelle. Didn’t Loz say one of his sources was being smoked out for knowing the storyboard of the k. Rool trailer?

So much for laying low, but even then someone can just inspect element and edit crap like that for a fake screenshot

(I’m honestly just more confused than anything atm)

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Also a question for Geno supporters, just curious. If Smash didn't exist, would you still care about him?
I care about him. I've always wanted to see him in the other Mario RPG games, as well as the other spin-offs. Sure, a "main game" would be cool, but Luigi needs more love in that area, in my opinion.

But, yeah, he's one of my favorite characters. Just like Sonic, I usually pick up whatever he's in. Same with Red from the Pokemon manga. Love the character and like seeing him show up. Pokemon Origins' Red was also a really cool character, and I wish I could see more of him/that universe with every gen.

Got off track a bit, but yep. Totally still love Geno, with or without Smash. But Smash Bros. is such an awesome concept and game!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I could see DS getting gradually decloned in future games if she sticks around.

I wonder if her inclusion in Smash will lead to her returning to Metroid somehow...?

It’s a good day to be an irrelevant villain.
I doubt Tanabe would bring her back after saying "Yup, she's gone for good", having taken 10 goddamn years for his Galactic Federation spin off he wanted and waited to for a long time to make Prime 4 which is supposed to have pay off for Sylux

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So, what's the consensus on the Monster Hunter stage? Do you guys think it's an actual stage or is it for the new Spirits mode?
I think it's for Spirits Mode due to how Rathalos acts, but considering they went through the trouble to model it off of Ancestral Steppe rather then use a generic level design like the SSE I think it'll get the Castlevania treatment and be reused as a regular stage as well.

StormC

Smash Hero
I doubt Tanabe would bring her back after saying "Yup, she's gone for good", having taken 10 goddamn years for his Galactic Federation spin off he wanted and waited to for a long time to make Prime 4 which is supposed to have pay off for Sylux
Tanabe said that the Kremlings don’t have to come back, lol. Just think about all the crow he must be eating.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Funnily enough I've noticed that a lot of the people complaining about Dark Samus being an echo didn't actually support her or are even fans of her. I'm not saying that's the case with everyone as I'm sure someone will quote and scold me for generalizing like that, but by and large what I saw before she was announced were Dark Samus fans trying to convince everyone else that it'd be okay, realizing that this was her only shot.
Not that big of a dark samus fan (although she was my most hyped character in that direct lmao) but it is a little disappointing that she had cool unique attacks as an assist and then not have them use her as a clone, especially since they're practically already done, scattershot makes a perfect neutral/side special and floor tentacle makes a perfect down smash (we've yet to see down smash though so there's hope I suppose)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
WARNING: LONG, YET INFORMATIVE AND SPECULATIVE POST AHEAD

Other than Richter, each of the newcomers so far had Ballot speculation presence to varying degrees (yes, even Simon). Sakurai even mentioned that Chrom and Dark Samus had many requests, which is a big reason they are Echoes (and Daisy as well, retroactively).
Hell, even some of the new ATs were relatively recurring names thrown around.
PLAYABLE FIGHTERS:
-Ice Climbers
-Snake
-Wolf
-Pichu (yes, Pichu was a semi-common topic; far more so than Squirtle or Ivysaur)
-Young Link (same as Pichu, though mostly for a revamp using masks)
-Inklings
-Ridley
-Simon Belmont
-King K. Rool
-Daisy (Echo)
-Chrom (Echo)
-Dark Samus (Echo)

ASSIST:
-Waluigi (was already an Assist, so not that big of a deal as an Assist compared to the others)
-Bomberman
-Krystal
-Knuckles
-Shovel Knight

So I've been compiling a list of other "hot topics" of the Ballot days to varying degrees to see what characters we could probably see being fitted into either role.

-Banjo-Kazooie (Would be either playable or not in the game at all; can't see Assist being an option in this particular case.)
-Isaac (Could return as an Assist like he was in Brawl if he is not playable.)
-Paper Mario (Could be playable, could be new Assist, could be just a trophy again.)
-Sceptile (Could be a new Poké Ball summon if lucky; very questionable of an inclusion overall due to circumstances such as Gen. 7 being on the way when Ultimate started development.)
-Shantae (Like Shovel Knight, could be an Assist if not playable. Or a trophy. Or not in the game at all. -shrug-)
-Impa (Could be a possible Sheik Echo)
-Dixie Kong (Could be a regular newcomer or could be a Diddy Kong Echo)
-Rayman (Could be anything, really. At least he was a trophy before... -shrug-)
-Crash Bandicoot (-more shrug- Not sure what to think.)
-Skull Kid (Could be playable; for whatever reason we have a new Assist in the Moon from the same game, but not the Skull Kid himself yet...)
-Bandana Dee (Could be playable, could be Assist, could be trophy.)
-Sora (-even more shrug- Though seems like another "playable or nothing" type due to Disney's involvement.)
-Geno (Could be playable, could be Assist, which some might argue against.)
-Wonder Red (Another wild card that could be anything.)
-Chorus Kids (Who really knows their fate at this point...?)
-Goku (Manga/anime character, so odds of any sort of appearance is very low. But if there were any exception to that "other media characters" barrier, it'd be him. But don't bet on it.)
-Shrek (HAHAHAHA-no. Shrek is a much harder sell than Goku.)
-Freddy Fazbear (One of the three major "meme" votes of the time alongside Goku and Shrek, but is arguably more plausible than the two given that the barrier for him is "no Nintendo presence". Which might not matter as much due to FNAF being a worldwide phenomenon, which yes, includes Japan. Still wouldn't bet on an appearance, but it could happen for all we know, even if just an Assist role.)

Others such as Shadow (who was a bigger topic during the Brawl days) or Isabelle who I strangely didn't find much discussion of are still possible. Same with certain post-Ballot deals such as a Gen. 7 Pokémon (considering we have new Poké Ball summons from Alola).
This above list was just to cover the remaining "hot topic" names from that time period given that Ultimate seems to be incorporating as much of them as possible.

I may have forgotten or overlooked a few, so feel free to correct me if you feel I missed some big ones.
Didn't Lloyd make it in the hot topic list? I'm surprised, or maybe you missed it?

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Not crazy about Skull Kid despite Majora being my favorite Zelda, but I promised I wouldn’t complain about the roster if K. Rool made it.
i mean regardless, the fact that EVERYONE IS HERE should shut any complainers up

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Verge confirms once again that the person who told him Minecraft content would be in the game is a reliable source of his.. Pls Banjo
Got a source?

Also is it the same source that claims Isabelle?

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
How would you guys rate the inclusion of Isaac and Banjo? I’m certain at least one of them will make it.

StormC

Smash Hero
How would you guys rate the inclusion of Isaac and Banjo? I’m certain at least one of them will make it.
I’d give both of them a 60% shot. I agree I’d be shocked if both missed out.

Never thought I would say that before Wednesday.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Noipoi

Howdy!
Isaac and Banjo have decent chances in my opinion, around 60-70%. Not amazing but still pretty good.

These are the ones i'm 100% confident about.
-Geno
-Gen 7 Pokemon (I think it'll be Incineroar, but Decidueye or Lycanroc are fine too.)
-Shadow (Sonic echo)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i mean regardless, the fact that EVERYONE IS HERE should shut any complainers up
Not everyone likes every veteran, though.
Hell, I like every veteran and there are still some characters I wouldn't like if they were added (at least four of which are very frequently discussed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom