• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Imagine if....

What if in some insane crazy *** world Sakurai actually went an added Goku for ****s and giggles working with Bandai Namco and he's the one who saves the day in whatever Spirits is?

Good lord what I have I put in my brain.
At this point, I'm convinced there aren't rules anymore. So, I won't even deny the possibility.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
They did say they're showing off the designs for all characters before the game releases... so, hey.
Which I absolutely love btw, I know there are people who still dream about experiencing their "When I unlocked Mewtwo in Melee" moment again, but for most of us the final roster reveal just happens in the form of a leak or someone getting an early copy of the game, so it's a shame for the secret newcomers that they don't get a proper introduction. Smash 4 was extra awkward in this regard since the 3DS version came out first, so our first impressions of Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt were these low quality models with outlines and on a tiny screen. There's usually a ton of confusion and misinformation going around too, some crazy rumors tend to be spawned during a game's initial release (my favorite being Meta Ridley being playable in Brawl after the original was first disconfirmed, only for Meta Ridley to also be a boss).

By announcing all characters in advance every newcomer will be given a proper introduction in the form of a trailer, and we'll know 100% what to expect when the first copies go off the shelves, early or not. I think this will help people deal with the initial shock of some of their favorites not making it too, having a picture of the full roster thrown at you and not seeing your most wanted is an instant punch to the gut that just feels like it comes out of nowhere, with what will likely be labeled in advance as the final Smash Direct there will be a buildup to it that will help people get ready for the worst, and the presentation itself will of course gradually introduce things too, it's just a more smooth way to soften the blow. This is all assuming that the entire roster doesn't leak before the final Direct of course, but at least the idea is there.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Like I can't help but think there's anything that would top Ridley and K. Rool at the start. What's the big finish?

There's gotta be this holy **** big finish, right? I mean Geno would be one thing. Banjo Kazooie maybe?

But like....he's legit played so many big cards. What is his ace move? Because he seems to have played a lot of them already.

And even if Goku is a controversial character? Maybe Sakurai actually would consider him as a ''One Time" thing like everyone being back.

Who knows?

I've just been trying to think what the last reveal is if we've already got a LOT of fan wants.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Or it's the Pokémon that bring everybody back to life via crying.

Man, that was stupid.
I think you mean emotional and impactful and DARN IT SEVEN YEAR OLD ME IS STILL CRYING!

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Honestly, if we're going to go 4th Party, you have to go with the mother ****in' Angry Video Game Nerd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So is it safe to assume we can bury the whole "Relevancy" argument for the most part now?

Because Simon/Richter and K. Rool absolutely don't fall under that. Neither does Ridley, to a lesser extent.

This roster seems almost ENTIRELY ballot based. I'm sure not every character will be, but dang, I am SO confident in Geno right now...
Yeah. I agree. Seems most of the roster is fan service. Wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai just reveals Waluigi and shocks everybody.

D

Deleted member

Video-game characters are basically the only "type" of characters that I straight up oppose so I fundamentally disagree with the idea of Goku getting in.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I really don't want Shantae or any other indie character, but I think she's decently likely now. Shovel Knight very well could've been more requested but what everyone is forgetting is that WayForward was practically begging for her to get in. The CEO of WayForward even decided to be a ****hole and tweet "See you in Smash!" during the Smash Ballot days. The Ultimate slumber party hints in that update her game got only further support that she's in. Of course WayForward is going to tease the hell out of it is she's in.

I REALLY don't want her but at this point I'm just bracing myself for the inevitable.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Like I can't help but think there's anything that would top Ridley and K. Rool at the start. What's the big finish?

There's gotta be this holy **** big finish, right? I mean Geno would be one thing. Banjo Kazooie maybe?

But like....he's legit played so many big cards. What is his ace move? Because he seems to have played a lot of them already.

And even if Goku is a controversial character? Maybe Sakurai actually would consider him as a ''One Time" thing like everyone being back.

Who knows?

I've just been trying to think what the last reveal is if we've already got a LOT of fan wants.
The Big Finish character is the Doctor going to be Agumon, for the Pokémon v. Digimon Nostalgia hype.
Screw getting a new Pokémon, Agumon is who we need.
Yeah...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Who knows.

I've just trying to think what the last reveal is if we've already got a LOT of fan wants.
I don't think the last Direct will necessarily have the biggest addition, like when you look at the newcomers who were announced last for Brawl and Smash 4 they were Olimar and Shulk, two characters who had decent to good support but certainly not the top of the pop. I don't think Sakurai has ever seriously tried to top previous announcements in that way, in fact the most wanted characters have typically been announced early (Sonic the exception, for obvious reasons), so I'm not sure we'll top Ridley and K. Rool, but I feel like that's okay as having two characters with such immense popularity confirmed early does help ease a lot of people's nerves and make them more accepting of future announcements.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
With K. Rool in and Dixie quite possibly on the way, is there a single Nintendo All Star more constantly ignored and abused by Sakurai than Toad?

Ridley? Promoted from boss to playable and made a big splash.
Chrom? Got his chance another day promoted from final smash to playable.
Toad? Remains in Peach's moveset whilst Blue Toad from 3D World does shifts in Daisy's moveset and Captain Toad, rising star and protagonist of a pretty successful Wii U hit with a recent port to the Switch and 3DS? Deconfirmed without fanfare in a screenshot.

I swear Toad must have slept with Sakurai's wife since he's been snubbed repeatedly so much.

Probably gave her a fungal infection too.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
No joke, I’ll crap my pants if Banjo-Kazooie make it in.

Despite growing up with them, I never really supported them that much because I figured they were outright impossible thanks to Microsoft.

Of course then again, we got Mega Man and K.Rool back from the grave and Cloud was also an unlikely character so the bear & bird might have a chance.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
man i got no idea what sakurai will show us right before release,
as a power move of him i would almsot say he blasts us with 2 more newcomers and like another 3 echoes at least, aswell as something like dlc... i mean i got no idea

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I think we should atleast have 3rd parties like Lara Croft, Scorpion, Master Chief, Crash (still so much gaming icons left!) before we even think about characters like Goku.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I don't think the last Direct will necessarily have the biggest addition, like when you look at the newcomers who were announced last for Brawl and Smash 4 they were Olimar and Shulk, two characters who had decent to good support but certainly not the top of the pop. I don't think Sakurai has ever seriously tried to top previous announcements in that way, in fact the most wanted characters have typically been announced early (Sonic the exception, for obvious reasons), so I'm not sure we'll top Ridley and K. Rool, but I feel like that's okay as having two characters with such immense popularity confirmed early does help ease a lot of people's nerves and make them more accepting of future announcements.
This is part of the reason why I picked Elma as my last character in my recent list.

She's recent, and XBX was relatively popular (like Pikmin and XBC1).

Sure, it's not mindblowingly epic, but you can bookend the reveals with two new Nintendo Characters.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
With K. Rool in and Dixie quite possibly on the way, is there a single Nintendo All Star more constantly ignored and abused by Sakurai than Toad?

Ridley? Promoted from boss to playable and made a big splash.
Chrom? Got his chance another day promoted from final smash to playable.
Toad? Remains in Peach's moveset whilst Blue Toad from 3D World does shifts in Daisy's moveset and Captain Toad, rising star and protagonist of a pretty successful Wii U hit with a recent port to the Switch and 3DS? Deconfirmed without fanfare in a screenshot.

I swear Toad must have slept with Sakurai's wife since he's been snubbed repeatedly so much.

Probably gave her a fungal infection too.
Toad is by far the biggest character not in yet, I'm completely neutral towards him but even I'm curious to hear what Sakurai has to say about him, because it really does seem like there is something about him that makes Sakurai not want to put him in. I have a feeling he just doesn't take the character very seriously for some reason, as seen with how casually he's also been disconfirmed this time, I think he'd need a significant push from the fanbase to even be considered, but unfortunately Waluigi has skipped ahead in the queue on that one as far as Mario characters are concerned.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Yeah like him or not, Toad is definitely the last true A-list All Star remaining as well as one of the two core Mario characters not in the roster yet alongside ‘ol Wals.

The fact that Sheik of all people was considered an All-Star before him is almost baffling.

Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman and YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
A5060F56-1139-468C-9AA8-DA3CB8563656.jpeg

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I don't think the big finish will be a newcomer. With all of this speculation about the "Spirits" mode, I'm thinking the last big reveal will be a Story Mode.

Ask any casual. Any. They'll say that something that they want in Smash is a Story Mode. Brawl is still the highest selling singular Smash game. Don't forget all of the friends and family that played Subspace as well. I extremely doubt it, but if Sakurai wanted to go above and beyond then as the big reveal we'd get a large-scale story mode like Subspace.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, if Ken gets added to Smash to echo Ryu, we're not going to have another debate on hotness, right? I don't think I really want to see another Simon vs. Richter scenario again.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Don't make me animate it
Do it, you actually won't.

Make a fake reveal trailer for Toad and that's how it starts. It then cuts to Crusade gameplay of all things.
So, if Ken gets added to Smash to echo Ryu, we're not going to have another debate on hotness, right? I don't think I really want to see another Simon vs. Richter scenario again.
Ken is more attractive. Dude's a good family man. I want a guy who'll fight alongside me, not a guy who's off fighting random hobos "to become the strongest" leaving me at home to take care of the children who ask me "when's Daddy coming home?" and I respond "soon" but I know it won't be soon and for all I know it could be never but I don't want to tell the kids that so I keep living a lie and hoping it'll get better but I know it won't so I just suffer.

Ken > Ryu

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Everyone's hot when they use the Superspicy Curry, so what's the point of even debating?:troll:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Do it, you actually won't.

Make a fake reveal trailer for Toad and that's how it starts. It then cuts to Crusade gameplay of all things.
Btw sorry for saing i didn't understand your List on leaks thingy. wasn't trying to be rude. so sorry if you took it the wrong way.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Who knows?

For all we know, it might be somebody that people might have wanted at some point or another, but dismissed them due to lack of relevancy (which is no longer a factor as of yesterday) or support. I mean, Richter of all people is in despite the fact that he wasn't really on the radar at all for most people.

On a related note, I find it funny that among the anime swordsmen, we have an anime vampire slayer now! (Those who played Rondo of Blood will get the joke.)

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I still don't understand why people think that Captain Toad is deconfirmed because he is on a stage. We have yet to see if he plays some kind of role in that stage, or if that is just a cameo, and if that is the case they could just easely change him with another Toad from the Brigate.

I mean Toon Link was on Spirit Train, yet he is playable: he just doesn't appear when the character is selected. They could just do somethung like that with Captain Toad, unless I'm missing something.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Captain Toads best bet would be for DLC, especially if his appearance on New Donk is only a cameo, they can simply just remove him then whenever he is being played. Just like with Dedede and the Dreamland stage.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I missed people debating who is hotter between Simon and Richter?

Because the answer is Richter. Plain and simple.

Ryu is also hotter than Ken but he's so into fighting he's totally oblivious to this fact, unlike Ken who bagged him a hot wife.

If Ryu had a wife? She'd be 19 times hotter than Ken's wife. I'm just spouting facts.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still don't understand why people think that Captain Toad is deconfirmed because he is on a stage. We have yet to see if he plays some kind of role in that stage, or if that is just a cameo, and if that is the case they could just easely change him with another Toad from the Brigate.

I mean Toon Link was on Spirit Train, yet he is playable: he just doesn't appear when the character is selected. They could just do somethung like that with Captain Toad, unless I'm missing something.
"When Captain Toad joins the battle, the Toad Brigade is in charge of exploring!" "Leave it to us!"

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I missed people debating who is hotter between Simon and Richter?

Because the answer is Richter. Plain and a simple.

Ryu is also hotter than Ken but he's so into fighting he's totally oblivious to this fact, unlike Ken who bagged him a hot wife.

If Ryu had a wife? She'd be 19 times hotter than Ken's wife. I'm just spouting facts.
Man i hope Ken gets into the game - i would play him over Ryu no doubt

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Hey everybody, I'm back and it's time for another Guybrush20X6 crackpot theory!

So the direct confirmed they're going all in on echos, even to the point of giving some minor move differences (I guess Chrom's suicidal recovery is to stop him outshining Roy with his balanced blade) and that third parties are getting Echos with Richter.

So my random, circumstantial based theory is that all 3rd party companies will get three characters, with one series getting an echo.

So things look like this (new ones in bold)

Konami: Snake, Simon, Richter
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Shadow
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, either Ken or Roll
Namco: Pac-Man, Hehatchi, either Ms. Pac-Man, Kazuya or Jin
Square Enix: Cloud, Zack, Geno

This way everyone gets in on the amiibo monies. And people like me enable them.

What do you think?
Sounds like fun. Anyways here is mine:

Konami: Snake, Simon, Richter
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Shadow
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, either Chun-Li, Ken, Akuma, Roll or Monster Hunter.
Namco: Pac-Man, Heihachi or Jin, Lloyd or Yuri or perhaps Ms. Pac-Man.
Square Enix: Cloud, Zack, Geno or Neku.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You know I'm the one who animated this right?

A short 20 second animation of that would be child's play comparatively.
That gives you even more reason to do it.

The post-credits scene is Mrs. Sakurai finding out she has a fungal infection.

It's up to you now.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

No, you're right.
Who knows if they will actually do that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom