• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Shes been wanted for a long time and would get p much nothing but positive feedback
Surely people would find some way to obsessively complain about it. I can get minor complaints, again, but like... beating it into the ground is going to happen too. The K Rool backlash is interesting right now, it's just a vocal minority though.

Minor correction, neither of these characters are American. Both Diddy and K. Rool were made by Rare, which is British. However, we do have a single American made character in the roster, as Dark Samus was created by Retro Studios.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:
Mario is from Brooklyn.
Do the Mario

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
New game, list which newcomers and echoes you wanna see by number (again assuming base roster)!.
Alright then:
68: Deathborn
69: Chibi-Robo
70: Kazuya Mishima
71: Mike Jones
72: Geno
73: Eggman
74: Porky
75: Hades
76 (DLC): Travis Touchdown
77 (DLC): Marx
78 (DLC): Kiryu Kazama
79 (DLC): Sora
80 (DLC): Quote
81 (DLC): Spring Man
82 (DLC): Dante

11e: Black Shadow
7e: James Mc.Cloud
31e: Big Boss
31e: Raiden
37e: Claus
54e: Medusa
64e: Octoling
60e: Akuma
60e: Ken
45e: Isabell
38e: Shadow
38e: Classic Sonic
36e: Dixie
46e: Mega Man X
46e: Bass
27e: Galatica Knight
27e: Morpho Knight
10e: Ninten
61e: Zack
80e: Curly Brace
79e: Roxas
82e: Vergil
73e: Classic Eggman
78e: Majima Goroh
09e: Mr.L
06e: Gooey
01e: Paper Mario
49e: Little Mac SNES
70e: Jin Kazama
05e: Birdo
55e: Mrs Pacman

Yeah it's a long list

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Its almost like this game is based on the Smash ballot and the Smash ballot was meant for highly requested characters. A very out-there concept for sure I can understand why this may be tough to grasp.

He called Mimikyu and Ashley as ATs. You can say Mimikyu was obvious, in which case I'd say you are full of **** but you are entitled to your opinion, but you can't say "oh yeah Dank Samus was obvious cause her AT was missing." No. Stop. Enough.

People have been claiming all the ATs will just be revealed later. It was not obvious. ON TOP OF THAT if Dark Samus was obvious as an Echo because of missing AT then Ashley also should have been "obvious" as a full newcomer.

The guy got multiple things correct there is no reason to say hes lying as of right now.
Show me where the Toby "Leaker" called Mimikyu and Ashley as items. I want a link with the comment and proof that it's them and not some other anon. I've been on top of this dude since they started "leaking" and I've heard nothing of the sort from them. If you can find this I'll make it a Leak of Interest, but until then I find it impossible to believe them.

The picks they've gotten right so far have been incredibly easy. All of them were in the top 20 characters mentioned in supposed leaks, with K. Rool and Simon being the top 2, and Chrom and Dark Samus being popular choices for Echoes.

Additionally, they missed Richter, which is a critical flaw in their "leak", which made the bold claim of having the full roster and that every other leak was bull****. And then they try to recover, saying "guess I don't know all of the Echo Fighters, but I'm totally valid and every other leak is bull****." No, you're not.

It's obvious backtracking, and in a post-Richter world the Toby "leaker" is fake.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
(only 2 characters on the roster originate from America, being Diddy Kong and now King K. Rool)
This is wrong on a few levels.

We have three western characters in Smash.

Diddy Kong and King K. Rool were made by the Brits at old Rare.

Dark Samus was made by the Americans of Retro Studios.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
So...

This might be an unpopular opinion.

I'm thrilled that we got K.Rool and Ridley was quite literally my most wanted Nintendo newcomer. Simon is a great third party pick. Dark Samus blew me away and Richter is a very nice surprise.

But, I'm a little worried that we won't get many modern stars of Nintendo.

I've always wanted more older characters, expecially ones from the GBA/GC era (part of why I love Dark Samus' inclusion so much) but I also feel that characters like Elma, Bandana Waddle Dee, Rex and Pyra, Springman, and Alola Pokemon don't have a good shot, even though they all have popularity, moveset potential and relevency, and that sadden me. I love the old characters but I love all the new ones too.

This is the ultimate fanservice game and I love that, but I hope that Inkling and Chrom won't be the only recent creations. We need a good mix to appeal to everyone.

People probably disagree but I feel strongly about this. I really want the next character to be someone who is new.
I think Springman and Rex & Pyra are too new. It's possible Sakurai used design sheets for them but for Rex and Pyra at least we know their final designs weren't done till later in 2016. I can potentially see a new Pokemon like Inceneroar because of its design sheet probably being ready and interesting enough to implement.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Little late to the party here, but the Kroc has finally arrived (as if people already know) and the Belmonts are here. (I wanted Trevor instead of Richter tho.) Echoes too are pretty solid so far. (Chrom & Dark Samus)

Now as for Newcomers: I'm pushing my favorites up in this that I know are unlikely-but still would like to see them.

Again, lots of third parties because first parties are becoming bottom of the barrel in terms of characters I'm interested in. I guess you could say it's Third Party All Stars.
  1. Viridi
  2. Crash
  3. Fulgore-more than Banjo&Kazooie
  4. Scorpion
  5. Rayman
  6. Doomguy
  7. Lara Croft
Special Mention: Rash(Battletoads) for another character from the NES era.
For Echoes:
  1. Sub-Zero (Scorpion)
  2. B.J. Blazkowicz (Doomguy)
  3. Medusa (Palutena)

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Show me where the Toby "Leaker" called Mimikyu and Ashley as items. I want a link with the comment and proof that it's them and not some other anon. I've been on top of this guy since they started "leaking" and I've heard nothing of the sort from them.

Regardless, I agree that the picks they've gotten right so far have been incredibly easy. All of them were in the top 20 characters mentioned in supposed leaks, with K. Rool and Simon being the top 2, and Chrom and Dark Samus being popular choices for Echoes.

He missed Richter, which is a critical flaw in their "leak", which made the bold claim of having the full roster and that every other leak was bull****. And then they try to recover, saying "guess I don't know all of the Echo Fighters, but I'm totally valid and every other leak is bull****." No, you're not.

It's obvious backtracking, and in a post-Richter world the Toby "leaker" is fake.
This isn't an argument worth having, lol.
Lots of people said it and the discourse is going nowhere quickly.

In regards to leakers, though, I think we're kinda hard pressed to outright believe either Verg (notably inconsistent if sometimes correct anyway) or Loz (Guessed K Rool, and the Menu being shown in an August leak, and also I think said something about Ridley and no cuts before Verg, but vague understanding of the future and strange personal predictions). Loz is a weird case, and we would need to absolutely see more before actually believing him.

We literally might as well be making our own leaks right now and believing them.

And if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die. Please.
Mario needs this voice line in Smash.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I fixed my previous post after the entire thread corrected me. I actually forgot about Dark Samus, and didn't know Rare was a British studio.
main-qimg-829f09f5383354ddd4a97119910d084f.png

Anyways, it feels like this game Sakurai going back and getting the Nintendo All-Stars and fan favorites that he missed, with an exception or two. I'd say our new stars (like Rex & Pyra, Spring Man, etc.) are going to be DLC more than likely. I feel like DLC is going to have more promotion characters as well.

In regards to leakers, though, I think we're kinda hard pressed to outright believe either Verg (notably inconsistent if sometimes correct anyway) or Loz (Guessed K Rool, and the Menu being shown in an August leak, and also I think said something about Ridley and no cuts before Verg, but vague understanding of the future and strange personal predictions).

We literally might as well be making our own leaks right now and believing them.
I'd believe loz18 more than Verge, but it's good to be skeptical of both of them right now. Both lack the hard evidence of ChaosZero, Ninka/Vaanrose, and ESRB leaks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So...

I'm thrilled that we got K.Rool and Ridley was quite literally my most wanted Nintendo newcomer. Simon is a great third party pick. Dark Samus blew me away and Richter is a very nice surprise.

I've always wanted more older characters, expecially ones from the GBA/GC era (part of why I love Dark Samus' inclusion so much) but I also feel that characters like Elma, Bandana Waddle Dee, Rex and Pyra, Springman, and Alola Pokemon don't have a good shot, even though they all have popularity, moveset potential and relevency, and that sadden me. I love the old characters but I love all the new ones too.

This is the ultimate fanservice game and I love that, but I hope that Inkling and Chrom won't be the only recent creations. We need a good mix to appeal to everyone.

People probably disagree but I feel strongly about this. I really want the next character to be someone who is new.
Waddle Dee is still a popular request. I have a feeling he'll make it.

Granted, my predictions have been completely off so far.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
As of right now, how is everyone's Want Lists looking?
Newcomers only, or every character?

As far as my newcomer wants go, all I have left is Phoenix Wright. But even if he doesn't get in, I'll still be incredibly happy with how this Smash game has turned out.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So...

Now that you pretty much mention the amount of older characters, I decided to list the newcomers by the year of their debut:

• Ridley: 1986
  • Simon Belmont: 1986
  • Daisy: 1989
  • Richter Belmont: 1993
  • K. Rool: 1994
  • Dark Samus: 2002
  • Chrom: 2012
  • Inkling: 2015
3 characters from the 80's, 2 from the 90's, 1 from the 00's and 2 from the 10's. Take that for what you will.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, my most wanted characters at this point are probably echo fighters of all things.

I feel very confident in thinking Dixie's gonna be in due to Chrom, and after seeing Richter, not having Ken would be a missed opportunity.

As for actual newcomers? I really could care less. We got Ridley and K.Rool, characters that this community have wanted since Melee and Brawl respectively, and Simon, pretty much one of the last 'big' NES 3rd party names.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Here's a couple of Event ideas I thought up:

Title: Simon's Quest
Description: What a terrible night to have a curse... Vanquish Dracula once and for all before he and his minions defeat you!
Goal: Defeat Dracula and Opponents
Character: Simon Belmont (300 Stamina)
Enemies: Ganondorf & Wolf (Silhouettes) (150 Stamina each), Dracula (Boss)
Stage: Dracula's Castle
Unlockable: Ruined Castle Gallery CD

Title: Clash of Light and Darkness
Description: Who's to say an evil lookalike isn't better than the original? Hold your ground against the heroes!
Goal: Defeat All Opponents
Characters: Dark Samus (P1) & Dark Pit (P2) (1 Stock Each)
Enemies: Samus & Pit (1 Stock Each)
Stage: Reset Bomb Forest (Omega Form)
Unlockable: Dark Meta Knight Trophy

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Want lists?

Well, here's the old wish/semi prediction roster I made right before E3.

and the marks as of the Direct.

ultimate want list pre e3.png

A little bittersweet at the moment, most are up in the air but I'm currently pretty satisfied right now.

I should probably make a new one.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Now that you pretty much mention the amount of older characters, I decided to list the newcomers by the year of their debut:

3 characters from the 80's, 2 from the 90's, 1 from the 00's and 2 from the 10's. Take that for what you will.
Hmm...
80s: Ridley, Simon, Daisy
90s: Tails, Richter, K. Rool
00s: Isaac, Shadow, Dark Samus
10s: Chrom, Inkling, Elma, GVII Pokémon

How'd I do?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Even then one of those 2010 characters is from 2012 which is frankly pretty old (sorry Chrom).

Inkling is the only one that feels like a new or rising star.

D

Deleted member

Hmm...
80s: Ridley, Simon, Daisy
90s: Tails, Richter, K. Rool
00s: Isaac, Shadow, Dark Samus
10s: Inkling, Elma, GVII Pokémon

How'd I do?
Chrom is also a 10s character.
Inkling, Chrom, and Decidueye make for a satisfying 10s lineup though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You know the dead Mario, Luigi, Mega Man, Dedede thing, and then the potential Spirits mode.

Uhhhh....who routinely gets brought back from the dead and has a means of bringing back the dead?

Goku.

Dear god, Sakurai please tell me you actually didn't.

Please tell me you didn't.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Talking about wish lists:

Inkling: X
Simon Belmont: X
Chrom: X
King K. Rool: X
Zero: ;_;
Ashley: ;_;
Lyn: ;_;
Takamaru: ;_;
Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong:
Donkey Kong Jr:
Black Shadow:
Chorus Men:
Chibi-Robo:
Ray:
Lip:
Geno:
Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell:
Heihachi:
Sora:
Joker:
Jack Bros:
Crash:

I'm fine with the roster as is, and I really only want third parties. These characters would just be cool to have.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Want lists?

Well, here's the old wish/semi prediction roster I made right before E3.

and the marks as of the Direct.

View attachment 156642
A little bittersweet at the moment, most are up in the air but I'm currently pretty satisfied right now.

I should probably make a new one.
Who's the top right? Can't make them out. Also Takamaru was confirmed to be an AT again sadly, during the E3 presentation.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Alright then:
68: Deathborn
69: Chibi-Robo
70: Kazuya Mishima
71: Mike Jones
72: Geno
73: Eggman
74: Porky
75: Hades
76 (DLC): Travis Touchdown
77 (DLC): Marx
78 (DLC): Kiryu Kazama
79 (DLC): Sora
80 (DLC): Quote
81 (DLC): Spring Man
82 (DLC): Dante

11e: Black Shadow
7e: James Mc.Cloud
31e: Big Boss
31e: Raiden
37e: Claus
54e: Medusa
64e: Octoling
60e: Akuma
60e: Ken
45e: Isabell
38e: Shadow
38e: Classic Sonic
36e: Dixie
46e: Mega Man X
46e: Bass
27e: Galatica Knight
27e: Morpho Knight
10e: Ninten
61e: Zack
80e: Curly Brace
79e: Roxas
82e: Vergil
73e: Classic Eggman
78e: Majima Goroh
09e: Mr.L
06e: Gooey
01e: Paper Mario
49e: Little Mac SNES
70e: Jin Kazama
05e: Birdo
55e: Mrs Pacman

Yeah it's a long list
This list has been approved by me.
well... maybe not that many echoes, but overall is approved

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I think Springman and Rex & Pyra are too new. It's possible Sakurai used design sheets for them but for Rex and Pyra at least we know their final designs weren't done till later in 2016. I can potentially see a new Pokemon like Inceneroar because of its design sheet probably being ready and interesting enough to implement.
I agree but it doesn't mean that Spring Man/Rex don't have a shot as DLC

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
You know the dead Mario, Luigi, Mega Man, Dedede thing, and then the potential Spirits mode.

Uhhhh....who routinely gets brought back from the dead and has a means of bringing back the dead?

Goku.

Dear god, Sakurai please tell me you actually didn't.

Please tell me you didn't.
I can imagine that the trailer for it taking place at Luigi's funeral and everybody is dressed in Black and sad, then you hear Goku's voice "Hey, can't I just bring him back with the Dragon Balls". Everybody then turns around and looks at Goku in the face as he then exclaims "What are you looking at? Do I have something in my hair again?"

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I can imagine that the trailer for it taking place at Luigi's funeral and everybody is dressed in Black and sad, then you hear Goku's voice "Hey, can't I just bring him back with the Dragon Balls". Everybody then turns around and looks at Goku in the face as he then exclaims "What are you looking at? Do I have something in my hair again?"
No goku please.

Last thing we need is a shrek possibility.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I'm not sure what to even expect of a mode called 'Spirits'.

If it's some sort of singleplayer mode, what's it going to function like?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
CRACK THEORY TIME I guess this is just a new thing of mine now

If the new big game mode is truly called Spirits, then it'd be perfect to add the Spirit Camera, or the Camera Obscura from Fatal Frame. I'd imagine the protagonist of the game would be able to find the spirits of the different fighters, so at one point you join up with her.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Offtopic:

So, today I learned something that I found kind of amusing. For all the wrong reasons.

The Japanese word for wife is: 家内 (kanai). Which literally translates into "inside house." Kanji on the left is the one for 'house,' kanji on the right is the one for 'inside.' Dunno, I chuckled to myself about that one. Guess the Japanese are just less sensitive to political correctness than most westerners really.

It's not so different from Spanish now that I think about it, where the word for wife there is: "Esposa" which can also mean "shackles," or "handcuffs." I'll leave you to chuckle about the connotations of that one.

EDIT: Just realized this is the wrong thread for that. Thought this was the social thread. Whatevs-
Any chance of Toadette, I wonder?

This isn't really used in modern Japanese, it's hardly "the" word.
The modern Japanese word for Wife is "奥さん" (Oku-san), it still has the same connotations as "Kanai". Oku-san can essentially be read as "House-san", so it's sort of like "Homemaker".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sorry to bust your bubble, but
He's okay guys, we don't need any Dragon Balls

Last edited by a moderator:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I know Captain Toad appeared in New Donk City as a background Easter egg character, but remember Toon Link vs. Alphonso? And unlike with Spirit Trains, if Captain Toad does get in as a playable fighter, they don't really need to replace him with anybody. Just zap him out of existence.

Then again, considering the fact that Captain Toad can't jump, even taking into account the soft disconfirmation, it is highly unlikely.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'm not sure what to even expect of a mode called 'Spirits'.

If it's some sort of singleplayer mode, what's it going to function like?
It's probably the mode to unlock all the characters, so I guess it will be singleplayer. I'm guessing it will be an adventure mode like the labyrinth where you can fight the characters on their stages to unlock them. Or melee like adventure mode with a random character as the penultimate boss.

D

Deleted member

I know Captain Toad appeared in New Donk City as a background Easter egg character, but remember Toon Link vs. Alphonso? And unlike with Spirit Trains, if Captain Toad does get in as a playable fighter, they don't really need to replace him with anybody. Just zap him out of existence.

Then again, considering the fact that Captain Toad can't jump, even taking into account the soft disconfirmation, it is highly unlikely.
The difference is that Tink was a veteran.
I doubt they'd do it with newcomers.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
no reason to believe him either.
Except everything he got right. Other than that yeah, absolutely nothing.

From this point forward I'm gonna say the sky is red, despite nothing supporting this idea. No reason to believe its not after all.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
More so Sonic saved the day in Subspace.

Imagine if....

What if in some insane crazy ass world Sakurai actually went an added Goku for ****s and giggles working with Bandai Namco and he's the one who saves the day in whatever Spirits is?

Good lord what I have I put in my brain.

KMDP

Smash Legend

When Captain Toad joins the fray, Alphonso will take care of the New Donk City Hall ledge.

Alphonso: Leave to... oh god that's far...
More so Sonic saved the day in Subspace.

Imagine if....

What if in some insane crazy *** world Sakurai actually went an added Goku for ****s and giggles working with Bandai Namco and he's the one who saves the day in whatever Spirits is?

Good lord what I have I put in my brain.
I think Dumplin and Puddin (TFS) would have some words about your idea of Goku saving the day last minute.

Son Goku the spotlighter stealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom