• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
Shovel Knight being an AT confirms what I always assumed, that Sakurai doesn't consider indies worthy of playable representation in Smash.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Shovel Knight being an AT confirms what I always assumed, that Sakurai doesn't consider indies worthy of playable representation in Smash.
....Is it bad that I kinda feel the same way?

No offense to the supporters of course.

Not that I think indies have absolutely zero place in Smash, I just think there are dozens more mainstream characters who should get in first.

It’s amazing enough to the SK crew that he’s in at all so they seem pretty satisfied.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Mio all the way. Her game got a Wii exclusive remake, she could use her Mario alt costume as an alt, she's my favorite protagonist.

I know I'm a broken record, but I really think FF has a chance. Maybe a 10% chance, but a chance.
I’m a bit bummed said remake was only released in Japan and PAL and was too late for Operation Rainfall which gave NA the first Xenoblade, Pandora’s Tower and The Last Story. IV was Japan exclusive too, but at least we got V for Wii U (with Yuri Kozukata).

Fatal Frame HD collection for Switch with the Wii FF2 port included and bring it all to NA please Nintendo and KT

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Shovel Knight being an AT confirms that Sakurai doesn't consider Shovel Knight worthy of playable representation in Smash, and nothing else.

Shovel Knight may be seen as the "head" of indie games, but that's by no means true. There are indies as popular as Shovel Knight, if not more so.

Quote, Shantae, and Reimu all come to mind and could be playable.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I’m a bit bummed said remake was only released in Japan and PAL and was too late for Operation Rainfall which gave NA the first Xenoblade, Pandora’s Tower and The Last Story. IV was Japan exclusive too, but at least we got V for Wii U (with Yuri Kozukata).

Fatal Frame HD collection for Switch with the Wii FF2 port included and bring it all to NA please Nintendo and KT
I actually was too scared of breaking my Wii to mod it for Project M, than I found out about the English patch for FFIV and immediately modded my Wii and imported. And that's how I got into Project M haha. Unfortunately I haven't gotten FF2 Remake yet but I'm definitely planning on it in next year. I'll track it down somehow haha.

Fatal Frame is my favorite horror series and I really hope Nintendo doesn't sleep on it.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I have to ask to all you people who want Heihachi...why Heihachi? Over any other Tekken rep? Jin, Kazuya, King, Nina...why Heihachi?
Heihachi is one of the most iconic characters since Tekken 1 as an antagonist.

In addition, he's been in several crossovers such as SoulCalibur II, Playstation All Stars, Namco X Capcom as well as Project X Zone's 1 and 2.

StormC

Smash Hero

KMDP

Smash Legend
New game, list which newcomers and echoes you wanna see by number (again assuming base roster)!

68 - Bandana Waddle Dee
69 - Elma
69e - Fiora (possible DLC if they remove her from the Final Smash by patch, or base game if they’re like “**** it let’s make her the first newcomer echo to also be in someone else’s final smash, we’ve bent the rules before with Samus and that one MonHun boss/AT”)
70 - Rhythm Heaven rep
71 - Isabelle (assuming she’s unique)
72 - new Gen 7 Pokémon that isn’t Decidueye, Lycanroc or Mimikyu (either Incineroar or Buzzwole)
73 - Isaac
74 - 2nd Bamco Rep (Heihachi? Other TEKKEN character? KOS-MOS? Lloyd or Yuri would probably be DLC)

Speaking of, should I revise my roster one last time and, moving Lloyd to the 3rd Bamco rep, make either Heihachi or KOS-MOS the 2nd Bamco Rep? The logical side of me is saying Heihachi cause he was in PSASBR and was considered for Smash 4

But the wish fulfillment side of me is saying KOS-MOS so it could be a Project X Zone 2 reunion of Chrom, Lucina, Fiora and KOS-MOS...
Okay, gave it some thought.
Original Newcomers
68 - Tails​
69 - Isaac​
70 - Sephiroth or Tifa (one of the two)​
71 - Geno​
72 - Heihachi or Agumon (one of the two)​
73 - Bandana Dee​
74 - Crash​
75 - Hector​
76 - Elma​
Echoes
16ε - Impa​
23ε - Black Shadow​
36ε - Dixie Kong​
38ε - Shadow​
54ε - Medusa​
60ε - Ken​
61ε - Zack​

Operates under the assumption we'll get 87 Fighters for Smash Down purposes (along with 76 non-Echo Fighters for that sweet, sweet "Over 75 Fighters" on the back of the box), while also alternating between 3rd Parties and "long awaited" 1st Parties until the last, who is Elma to bookend the Smash Ultimate reveals with recent characters (Inkling and Elma).

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Heihachi is one of the most iconic characters since Tekken 1 as an antagonist.
As someone who used to play Tekken in arcades every chance he got, this never stops surprising me. I was certain Yoshimitsu, King, and Jin were the most iconic until Sm4sh speculation.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
So how many unique newcomers do you guys think are left? I say three. Gen 7 Pokemon, Banjo/Kazooie, and I'm not sure, maybe the Chorus Men? As for echoes I don't even want to get into that lol.

I know I'm pushing it by saying Banjo, but I'm 100% in on Vergeben (which I may be stupid for), and according to him we will have some Minecraft representation in the game. And if Sakurai is collaborating with Microsoft, I don't think he'd give up the chance to have Banjo in. Here's hoping

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I bet we are going to get a charcters that appeals more to the Japanese Audience some time soon considering the recent charcters aren't really Japanese favourites

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Shovel Knight was way more popular on the ballot than any of those characters.
2000px-Citation-needed.svg.png

Sorry, couldn't resist. That being said, we have 0 idea who was more popular on the ballot. We can go off of fan polls and results, but their validity doesn't represent the full 1.8 million people who voted.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I actually was too scared of breaking my Wii to mod it for Project M, than I found out about the English patch for FFIV and immediately modded my Wii and imported. And that's how I got into Project M haha. Unfortunately I haven't gotten FF2 Remake yet but I'm definitely planning on it in next year. I'll track it down somehow haha.

Fatal Frame is my favorite horror series and I really hope Nintendo doesn't sleep on it.

Been saying since Smash 3ds/wii u that a Fatal Frame character would be amazing so I fully agree with the sentiment. At least give me the spirit camera as an item

D

Deleted member

New game, list which newcomers and echoes you wanna see by number (again assuming base roster)!

68 - Bandana Waddle Dee
69 - Elma
69e - Fiora (possible DLC if they remove her from the Final Smash by patch, or base game if they’re like “**** it let’s make her the first newcomer echo to also be in someone else’s final smash, we’ve bent the rules before with Samus and that one MonHun boss/AT”)
70 - Rhythm Heaven rep
72 - new Gen 7 Pokémon that isn’t Decidueye, Lycanroc or Mimikyu (either Incineroar or Buzzwole)
73 - Isaac
74 - 2nd Bamco Rep (Heihachi? Other TEKKEN character? KOS-MOS? Lloyd or Yuri would probably be DLC)
16e - Impa

Speaking of, should I revise my roster one last time and, moving Lloyd to the 3rd Bamco rep, make either Heihachi or KOS-MOS the 2nd Bamco Rep? The logical side of me is saying Heihachi cause he was in PSASBR and was considered for Smash 4

But the wish fulfillment side of me is saying KOS-MOS so it could be a Project X Zone 2 reunion of Chrom, Lucina, Fiora and KOS-MOS...
68 - Bandana Dee
69 - Decidueye
70 - Rayman
71 - Isaac
72 - Tails
73 - Crash

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The thing with Indie characters, from what I've gathered, is that Shovel Knight is effectively the face of Indie games. He's had far more exposure than any other Indie, has been in several other crossovers, and even has his own line of Amiibo figures.

To me, it would appear that a playable Indie would have been Shovel Knight or nobody. If any other Indie characters get in, my bet is absolutely 100% Assist Trophies.

It doesn't help that the Indie scene isn't like gaming as a whole. To my knowledge, Shovel Knight is far more well known than most other Indies. Prior to Smash 4, I had literally no idea who Shantae was. I had literally no idea who Reimu was before 4chan made a meme out of her. Quote has been around for awhile, but I don't know that he's bigger than Shovel Knight. I could be wrong, but I'm going to simply say we're not getting a playable Indie. My experiences obviously aren't everybody's, but it certainly isn't an isolated incident.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
So how many unique newcomers do you guys think are left? I say three. Gen 7 Pokemon, Banjo/Kazooie, and I'm not sure, maybe the Chorus Men? As for echoes I don't even want to get into that lol.

I know I'm pushing it by saying Banjo, but I'm 100% in on Vergeben (which I may be stupid for), and according to him we will have some Minecraft representation in the game. And if Sakurai is collaborating with Microsoft, I don't think he'd give up the chance to have Banjo in. Here's hoping
Hmm, I’d say about three as well, if Sakurai really means not to expect so much then he probably means that in regards to unique newcomers since clones are easy to make.

My bets on the remaining 3? Pre-existing series newcomer, new Nintendo series newcomer and one more 3rd Party character.

Hope I’m wrong and there’s about atleast 5 more.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Speaking of Minecraft, do you think we will get a stage,assist trophy, playable charcter or all three
I somehow find myself still not believing any Minecraft representation until I see Banjo. It just doesn't make sense to me that Sakurai would ask Microsoft for Minecraft rights before Banjo rights

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What are y’all’s opinions of Geno’s chances now post-Ridley & K. Rool?

I’m personally a bit torn.

Pros:
- worldwide fame and recognition like those two and Isaac
- made into a Mii costume in 4
- Sakurai acknowledged his popularity

Cons:
- only appeared in one game, a spinoff
- sort of a loophole to get him in, his only other appearance was in Superstar Saga and they had to ask Square Enix’s permission (even though granted he has better chances than Sora imo who’s primarily Disney)
- would he be counted as a Mario rep or a Square Enix non-FF Rep?
- would Square Enix allow it, even though we already have Cloud?

Last edited:

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I’d say about three as well, if Sakurai really means not to expect so much then he probably means that in regards to unique newcomers since clones are easy to make.

My bets on the remaining 3? Pokemon newcomer, Nintendo newcomer and one more 3rd Party character.
I am thinking we are getting 4 more non echo newcomers. If we are getting a ND in September and October

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’d say Geno’s very likely at this point, I’m curious to what his modern design will look like post-SMRPG.

It all depends on Square though.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Credit to Reddit user..... Redditisjustawful.

Man, we really aren't missing that many stages, and outside of the meme ones, I really don't miss any of these to be frank.
With the exception of Mushroom Kingdom, Flat Zone, Flat Zone 2, Pictochat, and Miiverse, There's no way they're gonna leave these stages out when there are so few of them left.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

68 - Bandana Waddle Dee
69 - Elma
70 - Rhythm Heaven rep
73 - Isaac
16e - Impa

This is more of a prediction than wish fulfillment but...

68 - Isaac
68e - Felix
36e - Dixie Kong
10e - Ninten
69 - Heihachi
70 - Geno
5e - Boshi
71 - Tails
38e - Shadow
72 - Isabelle
73 - Icineroar

I'm sure the K. Rool fans were just a vocal minority.
I didn't mention the K Rool fans in my original post. Not sure what K Rool has to do with this discussion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know if it's final, but...
ffmusic_LI.jpg

If that's anything to go by, Squeenix is still not very cooperative, which doesn't bode well for Geno and thank god for that.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Low, but not impossible. Neither K Rool or Ridley are obscure, especially not to the extent Geno is. The only real connection is fan outcry, but I see Isaac getting in over Geno because Golden Sun, despite being dead, is probably a little more recognizable to avg person. That said, while both count as Smash community frequent requests, Geno is a bit more popular somehow.

(Didn't bother looking at sales numbers, so could be wrong on recognizability. But Isaac appeared in Brawl so most Smash players are at least a little familiar with him)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
As of right now, how is everyone's Want Lists looking?

Wolf
Snake
Ice Climbers
King K. Rool
Dark Samus

Decidueye (or any decent 7th Genner)
Rex & Pyra
An ARMS character

It should be noted, I did want Chrom during SSB4...
Smash top 10 8-8-18.png

Ay, we got ONE OUTTA TEN.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
There are indies as popular as Shovel Knight, if not more so.
That's a strange thing to gauge. I mean poll results speak for themselves. As far as I can tell, SK is the indie char most talked about, most recognized, the one with the most hype.

I MEAN... he's the one that got an Amiibo.

And besides Shantae, I recognize none of the others on name alone.

That may out me as a filthy casual, but I think the popularity or at least notoriety of SK is important.

It does basically make him the face of indies

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I didn't mention the K Rool fans in my original post. Not sure what K Rool has to do with this discussion.
My point is we do have an idea of who did well on the ballot, more than ever, with K. Rool's inclusion. We have numerous data points for this. 1.8 million is a pretty small sample size considering how many people actually have Smash 4. And I'm confident Shovel Knight was the most voted indie character.

I'm also confident we will not be seeing any playable indie characters in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom