• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Tails already has something that separates him from Sonic. It's not much, but he can use his two tails to temporarily fly, and attack.
Yep. That's why if one of them has to be selected, my money is on Shadow. I imagine a second character from a third party franchise would be an echo, to not steal time from first party characters. And as you said, Tails doesn't really fit that.
Though I can be completely wrong.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yep. That's why if one of them has to be selected, my money is on Shadow. I imagine a second character from a third party franchise would be an echo, to not steal time from first party characters. And as you said, Tails doesn't really fit that.
Though I can be completely wrong.
Considering that Chrom's attacks aren't entirely the same as Roy's, anything could happen at this point.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
My biggest takeaway from this Direct is that most patterns that we've observed are going to hold.

Playable Ridley -> Playable K. Rool
Big Konami Presence -> Castlevania reps
Echo inclusion -> More echo inclusions
Non-playable 3rd party debuts (Bomberman) -> More of those (Rathalos & Shovel Knight)

Given this, I'm led to believe a few things that we'll see in the future:

- Shadow's probably in as a Sonic echo (grumble grumble).
- There is almost certainly going to be a Gen 7 rep. There's just too much Gen 7 representation so far, and only one Gen 7 playable candidate deconfirmed. We haven't seen an Alola stage yet either, which may or may not be connected to a potential character reveal.
- There's tons of Konami and Capcom cameos - but not nearly enough Sega and Square Enix to balance it out. We might see the floodgates from those two come out in the next Direct.
- Will we see more indie third-party ATs? Shantae comes to mind immediately (if they don't go full-character on her), but there's also Quote to consider as a historic choice. If there's also really a boss mode, then there might also be a way to include a certain spoiler-y skeleton.
- Vergeben has some very weird sources who will tell him that Simon is in, but not Richter. He is also, at this point in the game, a spoilsport, because everything is so much harder to predict, and leaks this late would be ruinous.
- With Ridley and K. Rool at long last in the game, I feel that the only character left who absolutely deserves to be in the game, yet has been left out for the longest time due to unjust circumstances, is Banjo-Kazooie. We can see in K. Rool how much care they've suddenly given to the original DKC games by Rare. If patterns hold this far, then maybe Smash's recognition of Rare might go all the way to the bird and bear.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

during the Krool triler, during the cinematic punch, donkey kong is wearing his boxing gloves and boxing shorts
I just checked that one shot from that trailer that I saved to confirm. I can't believe I didn't notice that.
Could just be exclusive to the CG, though.

MainJPW

M.T.A
My prediction, we get a trailer for Tails, which will end with Shadow showing up, like how Palutena's trailer had Dark Pit.

...*hides avatar*
This would be great since as far as I remember Sonic has yet to appear in an animated newcomer trailer... assuming Tails would get one. I wonder how it would start off.

Iridium

Smash Hero
That's the first I hear about it. Link pls.
It's in the trailer, at the "DBZ" moment, with the huge punch from the three DK characters, which is at the end.

Edit: I see you found out already.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
We still haven't seen events yet. I wonder what events would exist if we got them. I can't really think of any on my own right now.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
We still haven't seen events yet. I wonder what events would exist if we got them. I can't really think of any on my own right now.
outside of the boss battles, i can see event matches to be a great way to show Assist trophies....

Like, team with Alucard (AT) to beat up possesed Richter... or stuff like that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Simon & Richter vs Ganondorf is a must.
So is Pit & Samus vs Dark Pit & Dark Samus
Also Final Battle (You vs Bowser, Bowser Jr., Wolf, K.Rool, Ridley, Ganondorf and Meta Knight)

EDIT: You vs Fire Emblem cast in 8 player Smash.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
E3 Direct:
Ends with the trailer of a big evil Nintendo character.

August direct:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
An event where Bowser has to use his Final Smash to defeat his opponents would be interesting. We've already seen some events from past installments, where you have to use the Final Smash to defeat opposing fighters for good.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
A cool one would be 8-Player Third Party event mode. For the sake of it's history, you'll play as Snake. Or it could be like those all star events that Melee did where you pick a character and face them in order of appearance in the series.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Didn't they have to edit Palutena's model to show less leg due to rating issues?
Who knows. Palutena spent all of Smash 4 letting her panties show while Peach/Bayonetta were censored and Rosalina carries the cosmos inside of her yet the game was still E10+
Yeah. But it is like young link and toon link. Effectively the same, but not.

Tharja might have trouble. She was the only trophy removed from smash4.

Why is everyone says skull kid. Is he really that popular still. I mean majoras mask is myfavorite zelda game, but is he needed? We need bandanna dee.

And since konami is being so nice. Goemon dlc please. Will pay 50 bucks for 1 character, 4 trophies and 1 stage. Just for him
Only difference is that games apart 1 and 2 are all in X while the Links haven’t lost what make them somewhat unique from one another, and Tharja might have a chance if the game ends up becoming T (or censorship for an E10+)

Skull Kid is still popular after all these years yes
E3 Direct:

August direct:

Start newcomer reveals with a unique hero and end with a unique villain...not gonna say there’s a pattern, but I would like that

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The only thing I'm a little bit dissapointed with with yesterday's news is that special Smash seems to be still relatively unchanged from the day's of Brawl outside of maybe a few more options.
I was really hoping they'd update it to so where every player can set their own options so stuff like Metal Mario vs Giant Donkey Kong can be possible rather than turning them both into metal giants or being forced to shove a bunch of Metal Boxes and Super Mushrooms down their throats...

Oh well, hopefully they'll expand the stage builder and allow for custom target test stages at least, maybe...

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
The Event I've been demanding since after Brawl:

Event 1: Triple Trouble Kings
You play as Mario with an AI Kirby and Donkey Kong, vs. Bowser, King Dedede, and King K. Rool

Its in tradition of Melee's Event 1: Trouble King and Brawl's Event 1: Two Trouble Kings (which should have been named DOUBLE Trouble Kings).

Other ideas

Captain N
You pick a character and fight against Pit, Mega Man, Simon...and Samus

Metroidvania
Samus Aran vs. Both Simon and Richter

The second to final event just has you fight against every guest character in the game 3 at a time (Ryu, Mega Man, Bayonetta, Simon, Richter, Cloud, Sonic, Snake, PAC-MAN) on their home stages that morph from one to another to another.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Who knows. Palutena spent all of Smash 4 letting her panties show while Peach/Bayonetta were censored and Rosalina carries the cosmos inside of her yet the game was still E10+
When Sakurai talks about rating issues, he means Japanese ratings. Smash has always had the same rating in Japan.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
We don't need any leakers, I think yesterday's Direct essentially confirmed that we're getting Isabelle and Shadow as echoes.

Also, at this point I wouldn't even be surprised if we see Porky.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
This would be great since as far as I remember Sonic has yet to appear in an animated newcomer trailer... assuming Tails would get one. I wonder how it would start off.
Just like the Palutena trailer, Sonic fighting with Mario and Luigi, until Tails intervenes; though unlike Palutena he'll team up instead of forcefully evacuating Sonic.

Bonus points if it's animated by Tyson Hesse.
The only thing I'm a little bit dissapointed with with yesterday's news is that special Smash seems to be still relatively unchanged from the day's of Brawl outside of maybe a few more options.

I was really hoping they'd update it to so where every player can set their own options so stuff like Metal Mario vs Giant Donkey Kong can be possible rather than turning them both into metal giants or being forced to shove a bunch of Metal Boxes and Super Mushrooms down their throats...

Oh well, hopefully they'll expand the stage builder and allow for custom target test stages at least, maybe...
I'm surprised "Mushroom" status isn't a new selectable option.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
as more events...

A boxing match between donkey kong, king k rool, little mac and villager.

Also we can have a team match, Chrom and Lucina Versus Bowser and Bowser junior....

there are actually tons of posibilities XD

marcuzoo

Smash Rookie
I wonder if Sakurai included Tails would he go above and beyond and give him the SA2B mech suit, or give him sonic normals and different specials, or keep sonics specials different normals ?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Someone earlier in the thread said that LoZ said no Isabelle? Has he even commented on her? I don't recall this.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Disclaimer: I never played Banjo-Kazooie. But at a glance, wouldn't they be too similar to Duck Hunt Dog, unless they were created as an Echo?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Do we have any indication of King K. Rool's weight? Maybe the same as DK?

I think Bowser remains the heaviest.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
When Sakurai talks about rating issues, he means Japanese ratings. Smash has always had the same rating in Japan.
Makes some sense for the games to have an “A” rating (Japan seems to love panties in some of their content), but also weird since the American release of Smash 4 has less censorships in some cases (Lyn’s trophy for example)
Closest thing to Sonic appearing in an animated newcomer trailer were his Brawl announcement trailer and Pac-Man’s trailer (so not really much)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Disclaimer: I never played Banjo-Kazooie. But at a glance, wouldn't they be too similar to Duck Hunt Dog, unless they were created as an Echo?
...No.
I can't even fathom how that would work... lol. I think the only similarity is furry thing with bird friend.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Just like the Palutena trailer, Sonic fighting with Mario and Luigi, until Tails intervenes; though unlike Palutena he'll team up instead of forcefully evacuating Sonic.

Bonus points if it's animated by Tyson Hesse.
When Tails intervenes I could see him flying in on the Tornado, shooting the ground near the Bros. to back them away from Sonic and then jumping out to join him.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I still want Shadow in Smash more than Tails, but I also need Amy to make an appearance outside of a simple trophy

KMDP

Smash Legend
The Event I've been demanding since after Brawl:

Event 1: Triple Trouble Kings
You play as Mario with an AI Kirby and Donkey Kong, vs. Bowser, King Dedede, and King K. Rool

Its in tradition of Melee's Event 1: Trouble King and Brawl's Event 1: Two Trouble Kings (which should have been named DOUBLE Trouble Kings).

Other ideas

Captain N
You pick a character and fight against Pit, Mega Man, Simon...and Samus

Metroidvania
Samus Aran vs. Both Simon and Richter

The second to final event just has you fight against every guest character in the game 3 at a time (Ryu, Mega Man, Bayonetta, Simon, Richter, Cloud, Sonic, Snake, PAC-MAN) on their home stages that morph from one to another to another.
as more events...

A boxing match between donkey kong, king k rool, little mac and villager.

Also we can have a team match, Chrom and Lucina Versus Bowser and Bowser junior....

there are actually tons of posibilities XD
I still like my idea of Snake vs Zero Suit Samus (White alt) on Garden of Hope with Snake Eater playing.
When Tails intervenes I could see him flying in on the Tornado, shooting the ground near the Bros. to back them away from Sonic and then jumping out to join him.
Yes! Perfect!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This is worth looking at. Also:

King K. Rool: As the beloved villain from all three Donkey Kong Country games on Super NES, King K. Rool joins Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable fighter. He attacks with a blunderbuss that can fire cannonballs at opponents, and throws his crown, which acts like a boomerang.
This is just amusing in hindsight, given how popular the whole "vocal minority" argument was with people being so confident that K. Rool demand was only specific to a few forum guys (on whose authority again?) with the logic that the grand majority of Nintendo gamers and thus the people who would have voted on the ballot would be kids (despite that argument not being reflective of reality). There was so many posts arguing about how K. Rool support was just an "echo chamber" but I think the thing that truly falls under the "echo chamber" effect was assuming that the main villain of some of the most beloved SNES games couldn't have possibly been a popular request because "obscurity" and lack of recent appearance (despite the relatively far more obscure and "irrelevant" Geno being acknowledged as popular by Sakurai himself).

D

Deleted member

This is worth looking at. Also:

This is just amusing in hindsight, given how popular the whole "vocal minority" argument was with people being so confident that K. Rool demand was only specific to a few forum guys (on whose authority again?) with the logic that the grand majority of Nintendo gamers and thus the people who would have voted on the ballot would be kids (despite that argument not being reflective of reality). There was so many posts arguing about how K. Rool support was just an "echo chamber" but I think the thing that truly falls under the "echo chamber" effect was assuming that the main villain of some of the most beloved SNES games couldn't have possibly been a popular request because "obscurity" and lack of recent appearance (despite the relatively far more obscure and "irrelevant" Geno being acknowledged as popular by Sakurai himself).
Don't be that guy, fam.
I seem to recall you stating adamantly that "people who expect no cuts are in for a very rude awakening", and yet here we are.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sonic can have two new reps. It more than any series should've been the first to get multiple third party reps from one series.

I think Tails as semi-unique and Shadow as echo would be for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom