• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Play a game with your friends. Make each other browse gaming forums and every time you see a thread that says "I don't get the K Rool hype, he's stupid and ugly but okay" take a shot, or do something else that you decide on

I offer the alternative because you might get alcohol poisoning with the shots considering the sheer amount of weeniebabies who are bitter about the king.
I don't like the character but I love a lot of characters people aren't exactly hyped for, so I won't complain too much.
Let people enjoy whoever they want, it's not like being an jerk about it will cut them from the roster.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Anyone else think that there may be 3rd Party Charcters as DLC - but for the base roster Simon will be the only non echo fighter third party newcomer to be in the game at launch.
I can see it happening, Third party characters are probably the ones that sell better (and veterans... but there are no more veterans left to add)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't like the character but I love a lot of characters people aren't exactly hyped for, so I won't complain too much.
Let people enjoy whoever they want, it's not like being an jerk about it will cut them from the roster.
I mean I get not liking the character, I do. I appreciate people's preferences, and the fact that they're all different.

I don't get obsessively trashing the character, especially after they're confirmed lol. It's kind of like a temper tantrum at that point.
All that energy could be used to support your own character. Or meta-commentate on speculation in general. Or literally anything other than ****ting on a character obsessively lol. It's probably the worst use of anyone's time in this context.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I can see it happening, Third party characters are probably the ones that sell better (and veterans... but there are no more veterans left to add)
I feel like Spring Man and Rex will be two of the DLC charcters - i honestly don't think we will see that many DLC Charcters. Maybe 4

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Anyone else think that there may be 3rd Party Charcters as DLC - but for the base roster Simon will be the only non echo fighter third party newcomer to be in the game at launch.
I think there will possibly be more 3rd party characters coming through as DLC.

Anyways in terms of third party echo characters, the only ones that I could see happening is Shadow and between Ken Masters, Akuma or Sakura.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I think there will possibly be more 3rd party characters coming through as DLC.

Anyways in terms of third party echo characters, the only ones that I could see happening is Shadow and between Ken Masters, Akuma or Sakura.
I agree i think if we get 4 DLC charcters it will be

2 Newcomers (Spring Man and Rex)
2 Third Parties

But there could be six DLC charcters

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean I get not liking the character, I do. I appreciate people's preferences, and the fact that they're all different.

I don't get obsessively trashing the character, especially after they're confirmed lol. It's kind of like a temper tantrum at that point.
All that energy could be used to support your own character. Or meta-commentate on speculation in general. Or literally anything other than ****ting on a character obsessively lol. It's probably the worst use of anyone's time in this context.
I agree. Thankfully this speculation period seems a bit more chill than the last one (and infinitely more chill than DLC/ballot period, good heavens.

I agree i think if we get 4 DLC charcters it will be

2 Newcomers (Spring Man and Rex)
2 Third Parties

But there could be six DLC charcters
I think we might get more. Last game gave us four unique newcomers alone. Now it depends on how much more successful this game will be than Wii U/3DS combo, but I think we might get more. Maybe.

Also it would be hilarious if Bayonetta ends up getting nerfed but last DLC character taking her place.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Agreed. Let's get the conversation going lol.

I think Squad Strike has a lot of potential but I don't see it being the communities go to mode. Was thinking it'd be fun to have tournaments with pre-determined squads, you could sign up, pick a squad and stick with that for the tourney. Have them be themed so you could do like, a hero's vs villains tourney, echo's vs their originals, lightweights vs heavies, stuff like that. Would be a nice change of pace and force some cool finals matchups in the event that the standard meta stagnates to the point that other smash games have.

I thought FS Meter had potential when they said the final smashes would be 'weaker', but Marth's FS still killed Lucas at 20%, while Mario's (and Lucas') seemed relatively ineffectual, that kind of imbalance means it probably won't be something that get's looked at with much seriousness in a competitive context. Oh well.

Stage Morphing is really exciting honestly and I'll be bummed if the community doesn't give it a serious chance. Even if we're limited to like... Final Destination transforming into Battlefield, that's fine. Especially since it's on a set-timer so it's not like you're going to get randomly screwed over because of the stage switch. It's just something to be mindful of and play around.
D1 reacted negatively to morphing in the competitive scene upon reveal. The Smash community tends to be way too conservative that they'll throw it out of the window without much thought.

It's a shame too since we can customize WHEN it transitions, and morphing into two completely different legal stages would change the tactics of the battle. People would need to go more aggressively on a stage they have an advantage on.

Squad Strike should be used for crews. I see no reason why it shouldn't be.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
D1 reacted negatively to morphing in the competitive scene upon reveal. The Smash community tends to be way too conservative that they'll throw it out of the window without much thought.

It's a shame too since we can customize WHEN it transitions, and morphing into two completely different legal stages would change the tactics of the battle. People would need to go more aggressively on a stage they have an advantage on.

This is why smash competitive scene does not matter

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm in the ultra minority, but as for DLC, I'd rather it not be full unique characters. Those take a while to develop, so I'd rather get content packs of smaller things. Costume packs. Music packs. I'll even accept echo fighters if they come in at least 5 per pack or something.

Unless they do character seasons like other fighting games.

I wonder if they'll do free DLC this time because of the paid online, though... hm... It doesn't seem related ofc but... something I want. Haha.

I wonder what the problem would be with morphing competitively. Like, what if you're morphing between FoD and Smashville or something. What's the problem there?
I wonder if there's an actual reason.

As far as Squad Strike goes, it looks fun as hell and almost like it's meant for crew fights, so why not use it during that? I mean, I might end up doing it with 1v1s with my friends, even, it seems like an all around fun mode to play for both "kinds" of fights.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So with another info dump, I've decided to skip ahead to more recent conversations. No point in reading through posts that ponder if Simon or K Rool are in or not.

I got as far as July 18th and up to that point, the only noteworthy leaker I'd heard of was Vergeban but now I see talk of a Loz18. Was this one of the hundreds of 'leakers' that DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon had archived or are they more recent? Do they have any credibility with this game or previous ones? Just curious since before, the only leaker I constantly saw mentioned by name is Vergeban and I guess Memoryman if he counts.

Chrom throws quite the wrench into what was commonly accepted as an echo fighter. I mean, as far as I can tell, he has unique idle animations, taunts, a Final Smash and presumably victory poses. That's nothing new for echoes ever since we saw Daisy but he's the first to have a move not ripped straight from the character he's an echo of, having Ike's Aether instead of Roy's Blazer. I guess the idea is you still have to have the same attributes (walk, run, air, fall speeds, air acceleration, jump heights, frame data for shared moves) but you can have any move from any other fighter so long as it's 1 to 1. And even then, Lucina's Shield Breaker animation was ever so slightly different from Marth's in Sm4sh. Doc is damn near an echo in this case, only being saved by his different attributes. His dair is pretty similar to Ganondorf's and his down special is similar to Luigi's. The animations aren't 1 to 1 so that also saves him from the title of echo.

With Chrom confirmed, I wonder what Robin's Final Smash will now be. Could just be the same thing but instead Robin himself or another Awakening character does the dash or when Chrom is on the battlefield, Alfonzo takes over. I can see them adding more unique victory quotes for Lucina and Robin with Chrom in the game.

I can also see Chrom being the first echo that's cleanly above the character he's based on in the tier list, assuming he loses the weak tipper. It makes Roy unique but it has never done him any favours in competitive play viability.

Now that Simon and Snake are in the game, I better hear in a codec somewhere "You like Castlevania, don't you?" Too good to pass up.

As for Dark Samus, they brought up how she was put in by popular demand or something like that and while I'd get the popular demand for Chrom, I don't see it with Dark Samus. Most people I saw mention wanting a Metroid character wanted Ridley or Sylux, plus a majoirty of people want unique characters and so tend to stray away from anyone who could possibly be similar to another fighter. Also with Dark Samus, I wonder what short form the competitive side will use for her. Damus? DS? Betting on it happening seeing as how most characters with 2 or more words get shortened
:ultbowserjr:Junior :ultfalcon:Falcon/ C. Falcon/ CF :ultdiddy:Diddy :ultdk:DK :ultdoc:Doc :ultduckhunt:DHD :ultganondorf:Not 2 words but gets shortened to Ganon :ulticeclimbers:ICies :ultkingdedede:Dedede/ D3 :ultlittlemac:Lil Mac/ Mac :ultmetaknight:MK :ultmewtwo:M2 :ultgnw:G&W :ultpacman:Pac :ultpikachu:Pika :ultdarkpit:Pittoo :ultpokemontrainer:PT also Ivy and Zard :ultrosalina:Rosa/ RosaLuma:ulttoonlink: Tink :ultwiifittrainer:WFT :ultyounglink:Yink :ultzss:ZSS

And lastly, in regards to stages, if 103 is all we're getting then we're either getting no more newcomers from new IPs or those newcomers are stuck being like N64 Falcon and Ness, Melee Marth and Roy and R.O.B. Not accounting for potential DLC of course.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Maybe they'll spread DLC into seasons like maybe season 1 could feature characters from modern titles.

Season 1: Modern Hits
Spring Man
Rex & Pyra
Urbosa
Joker (Persona 5)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So in an attempt to steer the topic away from Echoes, how did you interpret that Skull Kid PM Loz pulled up from June?

Personally, I'm confused. The person Loz quoted said K. Rool and Skull Kid would be used for promotional purposes, but how can that be the case with the former? K. Rool hasn't had a notable appearance since 2007, and DK's most recent game has absolutely nothing to do with him.

Is this person taking a guess, or do they genuinely know Skull Kid is a character?
Sorry to ask this because I could look for it myself and I will in like an hour or two, but what did that message say exactly?

Because the first time I read it the whole "promotional character" bit and King K/Skull Kid were seperate thoughts. I didn't think they were one in the same which makes more sense. However I only read it once so I could have misinterpreted, because you're right that doesn't make sense...

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Nah that's not right. It's just people are too ingrained to older rules in older games that are no longer relevant in newer releases due to new modes, gameplay changes, and new features.

There's no reason to NOT give Morphing a trial run, but people will find one.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Agreed. I stop taking competitive rules seriously when they decided Miis should be banned because... reasons.
I think the competitive scene matters a lot. I'm not in it personally (yet), but I don't think disagreeing with them makes them suddenly not matter.
They're another part that is shaping Smash, don't forget it. Whether anyone likes that or not.

It's not like the non-competitive people are any less stubborn about things they like and dislike, haha.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I feel like we'll get around 3 more completely unique characters personally.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
I got as far as July 18th and up to that point, the only noteworthy leaker I'd heard of was Vergeban but now I see talk of a Loz18. Was this one of the hundreds of 'leakers' that DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon had archived or are they more recent? Do they have any credibility with this game or previous ones? Just curious since before, the only leaker I constantly saw mentioned by name is Vergeban and I guess Memoryman if he counts.
If I remember correctly, he successfully predicted a lot of stuff in the E3 direct, predicted that yesterday's direct would show off the menu, and also apparently knew about K. Rool back in June (there's probably a lot that I'm forgetting, though).

D

Deleted member

I think Sakurai has at least some respect for the competitive scene.
He let them get in a lot of it during E3.
He also let EVO 2018 have Smash Bros. Ultimate, and he made the game more competitive than Smash 4.
We also got the feature which removes hazards and stuff.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Verg: getting isabelle and gen 7 pokemon

Loz18: no isabelle, gen 8 pokemon and skull kid

this is the first time theyve contradicted each other, so one will btfo and the other will get their 2 min of internet fame. Or maybe there both wrong who knows
...this is interesting.

I can see Isabelle in...as an echo. There's a lot to pull out of Sakurai's *** to make her a moveset, whereas Villager's would work reasonably well. But as cool as Skull Kid sounds, I think there's an absolute zero chance of a gen 8 Pokémon. We haven't even seen any yet! If Spring Man is too late to be considered, then what is that? I can't see Pokémon needing a Roy/Corrin-esque promotion.

I feel Geno might end up being the last newcomer.
This is interesting...Geno's not my favorite in the slightest (but give me Dovahkiin and I'll totally celebrate him), but it will be interesting to see who the next reveals are. Ridley and K.Rool were both hype monsters, after them, I don't think there's anyone else with the same amount of impact. True, Geno and Isaac are both highly requested, but not to their level.

I have no clue where they're going from here. I just really hope that they offered the Dragonborn a slot in Smash to entice Bethesda to use Skyrim as their first third-party on the Switch.... let me dream...

D

Deleted member

I wonder what the problem would be with morphing competitively. Like, what if you're morphing between FoD and Smashville or something. What's the problem there?
I wonder if there's an actual reason.
Nothing significant tends to come out of these discussions, but some have been arguing in favor of stage morph for game one, sense the time on each stage can be set, and it gives both players a chance to play on their preferred stage.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Verg: getting isabelle and gen 7 pokemon

Loz18: no isabelle, gen 8 pokemon and skull kid

this is the first time theyve contradicted each other, so one will btfo and the other will get their 2 min of internet fame. Or maybe there both wrong who knows
The thing is about that- Verg's was part of a leak, and what Loz said about that wasn't part of a leak, just a prediction based on not much of anything that people keep taking seriously. Don't fall into that category, lol. Unless anything changes, all he knows as far as leaks go, that hasn't already been revealed, is that there are at least two more newcomers, one of which is "heavily implied" to be Skull Kid.

This is interesting...Geno's not my favorite in the slightest (but give me Dovahkiin and I'll totally celebrate him), but it will be interesting to see who the next reveals are. Ridley and K.Rool were both hype monsters, after them, I don't think there's anyone else with the same amount of impact. True, Geno and Isaac are both highly requested, but not to their level.

I have no clue where they're going from here. I just really hope that they offered the Dragonborn a slot in Smash to entice Bethesda to use Skyrim as their first third-party on the Switch.... let me dream...
As far as Geno goes, something tells me that Sakurai is following a pattern other than what was ballot-popular.
Simon Belmont, Ridley, and K. Rool have been wanted for... ever, really, and so has Geno (whether or not people want to believe that).

Dovahkiin would be interesting... lol.

Nothing significant tends to come out of these discussions, but some have been arguing in favor of stage morph for game one, sense the time on each stage can be set, and it gives both players a chance to play on their preferred stage.
That's a good idea.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Some people don't like the idea of being able to get KO'd at super low percents via shenanigans during transitions.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
...this is interesting.

I can see Isabelle in...as an echo. There's a lot to pull out of Sakurai's *** to make her a moveset, whereas Villager's would work reasonably well. But as cool as Skull Kid sounds, I think there's an absolute zero chance of a gen 8 Pokémon. We haven't even seen any yet! If Spring Man is too late to be considered, then what is that? I can't see Pokémon needing a Roy/Corrin-esque promotion.

Yeah I feel there might not be a Pokemon newcomer because they've already shown off most of the new Pokemon and this games roster is leaning more towards requested characters than recent releases and advertisements. Also if you count Pokemon trainer as 3 Pokemon does have the most reps right now.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
They wouldn't.

This direct is like the Smash Bros. Direct that revealed Charizard and Greninja. I'm sure we'll be seeing Smash Bros. in every Direct from now until release.

Nintendo STILL needs to tell us about their online service that launches in a little over a month, so I'd expect by mid-September at the latest. I think we'll get a character reveal or two and that's it. Spirits will be talked about in a Smash Bros. Direct before release (sometime in October/November).
Let me get my tinfoil hat for a moment.
A Mid/Early September Direct that talks about the online services would be the best time to reveal Elma, if she's in. Xenoblade X heavily utilized online, so a port with expanded online functionality could be another title to showcase online.
It's also around the time the Torna DLC comes out, so they can go into a Xenoblade 2 update that includes Elma as a Blade.
End that with an Elma Smash reveal and they pushed Xenoblade X to the max, which is something the game could use, specially since it's another Wii U port.
(almost everyone gets their ballot characters in ultimate please sakurai let me get mine too)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Some people don't like the idea of being able to get KO'd at super low percents via shenanigans during transitions.
Alright, since you bring up mid-transition shenanigans, take a look at this video:

The second stage swoops in from the bottom while the first stage is still there.
So, if swapping between two "legal" stages, what shenanigans are there to be had other than someone SD'ing cause they made a mistake, which could happen at any point in the rest of the match?

Zeox

Smash Champion
Now that both Ridley and K. Rool are in, they don't need for my support anymore, so I'm officially changing my avatar to Porky, which is a character I don't see happening unless people start to care, so I have to support him.
By the way and talking about the Stage Morph thing, what crazy combinations of stages are you guys gonna try?

D

Deleted member

Regardless of how much the new features are used in competitive play, you bet I'm taking people to Random/Random morph during friendlies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Now that both Ridley and K. Rool are in, they don't need for my support anymore, so I'm officially changing my avatar to Porky, which is a character I don't see happening unless people start to care, so I have to support him.
By the way and talking about the Stage Morph thing, what crazy combinations of stages are you guys gonna try?
Palutena's Temple and Great Cave Offensive because there's no way this will end with a disaster.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

You can set a timer (we'd need a standard time for this, yes) and which stage it transitions to. People would be fully aware of when the transition would happen - essentially an easier to guess Pokemon Stadium in that regard.

Since people would know what stage it would go to and when it will happen they can adjust accordingly. The transition doesn't kill anyone either, since the second stage's layout loads before the first one disappears.

D

Deleted member

Random/Random and Pac-Land/Hanenbow are the ones I want to try most.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let me get my tinfoil hat for a moment.
A Mid/Early September Direct that talks about the online services would be the best time to reveal Elma, if she's in. Xenoblade X heavily utilized online, so a port with expanded online functionality could be another title to showcase online.
It's also around the time the Torna DLC comes out, so they can go into a Xenoblade 2 update that includes Elma as a Blade.
End that with an Elma Smash reveal and they pushed Xenoblade X to the max, which is something the game could use, specially since it's another Wii U port.
(almost everyone gets their ballot characters in ultimate please sakurai let me get mine too)
Patterns don't really work for Smash, but after last direct, it seems being in the last game in some sense (Mii costume, AT etc.) and being older then a decade really helps.

D

Deleted member

I see, so you are a man of culture as well.
A scrolling stage with no ledges morphs into a stage with platforms that move when they're hit and no ledges. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I want to play on Gamer, and I want it to switch riiiight before 5-volt pops out of somewhere to a stage like Super Happy Tree (Yoshi's Island N64), where everyone can de-stress and just have a normal game, and then right before everyone finishes settling, switch back to Gamer.

I also want to switch from Fountain of Dreams to Great Cave Offensive to be ultra annoying, but hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom