• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Alolan Pokemon Trainer

Which three starters in what order?
Rowlet, Brionne, Incineroar.

Rowlet is overwhelmingly popular and IIRC is the number 1 most popular Gen 7 Pokemon in Japan. Brionne is ridiculously adorable and seems like it'd be more mobile than the other evolutionary stages. Incineroar is also very popular and is literally a fighter, so it'd fit right in Smash.

I'd still rather Mimikyu, though...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Im thinking the opposite but maybe that's my bias lol. Smash 4 introduced a lot of new series (like 10 or so with dlc? Crazy). I think Ultimate should beef up its current series as that's where a lot of the fan demand characters are anyway. We'll still see new series too like Splatoon. Just more of a Melee approach where it mostly added characters to already existing series.

This too. There will always be good and new Pokemon to add. Same with Fire Emblem, although I think that one will be waiting for dlc.
Pokemon is one of the series that although has a lot of characters, most of it is from one particular part.

If you count the 7 Pokémon characters we have, 5 are from Gen 1: :ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff: (Yeah Pichu was introduced in Gen 2 but it is a pre evolution of a Gen 1 Pokémon, so it hardly is one compared to the brand new Gen 2 Pokémon). Only two: :ultlucario::ultgreninja:, are from later generations, which is small portion of the available characters that is supposed to represent the series after Gen 1, and this is even smaller if you count PT as three which is 2 out of 9 characters. It’s completely one sided to the original series.

Sun and Moon showed up at the right time where Sakurai would be selecting new characters, and with a lot of awesome new Pokémon that can be unique from Sun and Moon, it doesn’t make sense to not include one with the multitude of unique Pokémon to choose from. A new unique character from a different generation is why I think there’s a lot of support for one, not to mention this generation is pretty popular. Plus... you also have ORAS as well that came around the same time frame for a new character... buuuttt... I’m not sure if that’s likely. However, I would be fine with having a Gen 3 Pokémon since it represents another very popular era of Pokémon from the GBA era with many Pokémon unique Pokémon to choose from as well (as long as it’s Sceptile).

(They also aren’t from Gen 1 which is good with me. IMO, I would like it if the series had Pokémon from generations: 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8. Which represents many different eras of the series like the GBA, GBC, DS, 3DS, and eventually Switch).

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
To be clear, I never said there would be a Smash announcement in the 3DS playlist. I'm just showing that there's a **** ton of private 3DS videos, which could lead to a 3DS direct soon. Whether that direct includes a Smash reveal or not-- hell if I know lol.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You guys realize that Primarina, as a seal is not agile enough to do half the stuff in Smash right?

You gotta go for Popplio or Brionne. As seal lions, they actually can move easily on land.

False.

Primarina could have a water effect like squirtle, or just slide. Bowser glided around on his claws for half of Smash.

A side special can have her slap her tail quick to send her propelling in a the pointed direction. A built in wave-dash.

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Also that list of private videos is making me start to rethink my stance on getting a Smash Bros update this week. A Direct may be more imminent than I thought. Can't wait to see!

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
There are a lot of things that never happened in Smash until 4, so "it's never happened before" really can't be evidence that something will never happen.

Since the assists/Pokéballs are just a list of characters (and the Pokémon even has 'chance' as a field since Mew/Jirachi/etc are set at 1/700 chance, it's easy enough to make a patch and set the chance of that one appearing to 0. Then they'll never show up for a summon again.

It would seem it's a waste of dev time to make an assist and then drop it like that, but it's not something that's physically impossible, especially if the demand is there.

I don't really care one way or another about Waluigi, but the one thing I've learned about Smash is "never say never."
I heavily doubt AT will ever become characters after shown off as AT because 1.) It would throw off development time and cost more money; 2.) It would waste money if they simply removed the AT and 3.) Having th be an Assist and Character just doesn't make sense nor has it ever happened before so there is a precedent regardless if that precedent could break.

D

Deleted member

*Nintendo deletes one of their YouTube videos probably because they noticed an error.*
*Smash Fanbase: SMASHH NEWWSSSS HIDDEN BY NINTENDO???? OH MY GOODNESS! HYPE!!!!!!*

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Just beat Super Castlevania IV on the SNES Classic. Fun game, but hard as Hell.

Lots of moveset potential there for Simon, though. The whip and subweapons would be interesting to see if done right.

Plus, we got to get Sheik's old side special back.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Just beat Super Castlevania IV on the SNES Classic. Fun game, but hard as Hell.

Lots of moveset potential there for Simon, though. The whip and subweapons would be interesting to see if done right.

Plus, we got to get Sheik's old side special back.
I keep meaning to give that game a go. It looks great.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
For newcomers I think we are going to be in a similar situation to Melee. And here’s my crazy theory as to why;

Past games have shown that we will get somewhere between 12-17 new characters a game (excluding DLC). As we all know, Melee originally only had 8 new unique characters - until late into development, when the team decided to implement the 6 clones. :ultganondorf::ultyounglink::ultpichu::ultroy::ultdoc::ultfalco:

I think this time around, the developers are internally treating the returning cut veterans as if they are as much work as a newcomer. I am aware that the likes of :ultpichu::ultyounglink: will not be as hard work as :ultsnake::ultpokemontrainer: , but they could all be grouped together as a crap ton of work.

So after subtracting the 7 returning cuts from our average of 15 newcomers, we are left with 8 slots. I think 8 will be the ballpark for original characters this time around. Sakurai knows only 8 newcomers would be underwhelming after Smash 4’s blowout, so is going the Melee route and flooding in a bunch of clones again. Hence why they were given an official name and :ultdaisy: being shown off so early.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
15 private nintendo 3ds videos...

seems like the next direct is 3DS themed then, perhaps wario ware gold highlighted with an ashley reveal? but besides the slim possibility of that it might be devoid of smash news at all if a 3DS direct is what we get.

Noipoi

Howdy!

seems like the next direct is 3DS themed then, perhaps wario ware gold highlighted with an ashley reveal? but besides the slim possibility of that it might be devoid of smash news at all if a 3DS direct is what we get.
Thank you for giving me reason to hype over a 3DS direct.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ugh, please don’t cripple the game like that again.

And definitely please make sure that the one on HD screens is the superior version...
Since there’ll only be an HD version from the start, it’s guaranteed to be superior
And Pokemon Trainer.
and replace them with the Dark Pit Duo (:4darkpit::ultdarkpit:) and the Kid Triplets (:pit::4pit::ultpit:)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m still waiting for this character to be shown off in Smash Ultimate
BEE4FCCA-9716-4079-8EC2-8255847710B0.png
Please Sakurai show this iconic video game character in some shape of form

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Beg harder.

lul i kid. I wouldn't mind Skull Kid... I would just rather Impa.
I wouldn't mind either. I very much like playing as Sheik, so Impa being in would be cool (as either an echo or unique tbh) would be cool.

Majora's Mask is just my favorite Zelda game, haha.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

Yeah if there's anything Smash-related at all and if the timing is right, Ashley would be my bet. Of course, we don't know what other games are in that list, so really anything is fair game.

And honestly, I would not be surprised if a Smash reveal was made. We've seen Smash invade other specifically-themed Directs in the past (see: Splatoon).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
tbh wouldn't a simple solution just be to replace the AT?

like if Isabelle is shown as an AT and somehow she is included as a DLC fighter, couldn't they just replace the current Isabelle assist with Digby or something

problem solved.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind either. I very much like playing as Sheik, so Impa being in would be cool (as either an echo or unique tbh) would be cool.

Majora's Mask is just my favorite Zelda game, haha.
It's hard to choose between Majora's Mask and Breath of the Wild as my favourite Zelda, but MM has massive nostalgia factor for me. When I was a kid, I used to think the moon would actually fall. I was not a very sensible child.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It's hard to choose between Majora's Mask and Breath of the Wild as my favourite Zelda, but MM has massive nostalgia factor for me. When I was a kid, I used to think the moon would actually fall. I was not a very sensible child.
BotW is up there for me, but the main objective is just so... lame to me hahaha.
The world is cool, the history is nice, but the main storyline objectives were so lackluster imo

I like MM cause it's a big part of my childhood and I like the game mechanically, and the whole "everyone's gonna actually ****ing die" thing was a plus hahaha

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
And they still won’t show her body
I hope she at least animates this time, instead of being a still sprite. She probably will, considering the still images in the background of Distant Planet have been replaced with actual 3D models.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
They have to keep the ratings on the game appropriate. Please understand.
The sight of her face will make the rating go from E10+ to M for Mature...if Snake has his *** back the game would go beyond Adults Only

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Honestly, even if a 3DS Direct goes without an announcment for Ultimate, I'm still expecting a new character at Gamescom. Don't underestimate what is essentially Europe's E3, and where last year Nintendo revealed a couple of maps for Splatoon 2 and Lola Pop for Arms.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Plus, Viridi is kind of the “trigger” for the stage changing to an actual Reset Bomb, I can’t imagine the scenery transition without her

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I hope she at least animates this time, instead of being a still sprite. She probably will, considering the still images in the background of Distant Planet have been replaced with actual 3D models.
Hopefully

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Atm my most hoped for characters are
> Fossil Fighter
> Medusa, even if as an echo
> Shantae

I really hope that these 3 get in or hecc even just one of them. Im really thirsty for more info for Smush

Also I hope they dont reveal EVERYONE before the game drops. Itll be great if while unlocking chars we run into chars that are wanted but were never shown

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Can I just say I think the ideas of character selection that fans come up with can be utterly crazy?

I’m not trying to point any specific people out, honestly. But the thing is, everybody makes predictions or shoots characters down with little to no consideration of game development or game design. Those are two different things, first of all, and the character selections aren’t as some characterize them to be.

For instance, niche Nintendo characters aren’t necessarily passed over in favor of 3rd parties. Characters are picked because of a variety of reasons. Whereas the Smash fanbase focuses (imho) way too much on who or what “deserves” to get in, Sakurai is trying to make something that is legitimately fun to play.

For Ike in Brawl, Sakurai was looking for a heavy sword user. He picked Ike and made him work to that archetype.

We could sit here all day and make ridiculous claims like “Cloud was picked over K.Rool” but we all know that’s not true. I understand K.Rool isn’t niche, but you get the point I would assume.

In regard to game design, the premise of adding a character as playable when they were already designated a role in the game in another form is a bit shaky. As i’ve said before, why waste the time programming the same character for multiple roles? Especially when they’re spending excessive time working on the characters they currently have added?

Are certain characters more important than others? Yes.

Do some characters carry more gaming history or Nintendo history than others? Yes.

Should Sakurai simply pick what’s “popular” or “important” or “deserving” rather than what’s good for gameplay or expanding the scope of Smash? I’d have to give a hard no.

Popular characters can end up with good gameplay, and hats really what he should shoot for. It’s happened multiple times. Rarely have we seen a character with gameplay that wasn’t at least worthwhile.

Make no mistake though. A lot of the stuff that’s getting discussed this round of speculation? It probably doesn’t even matter or is completely missing the boat.

This is exactly why I want a bombshell reveal to either disconfirm or confirm the role of any particular character who gets a butt ton of attention. It’s not because I want people to be sad. It’s because the same thoughts are being recycled and don’t seem to really be based on anything particularly convincing for “It’ll be fun!”.

Also, let’s be nice to each other please. This is a video game.
To segue from Scoliosis's point here to a different topic, his point about newcomers & game design is something I've been thinking about when it comes to Elma and I'd like some feedback from her supporters here. She has a fairly unique mix of tools and coming up with a moveset for her would hardly be a monumental undertaking but at the same time:

1. Guns are a very difficult projectile to balance in general. They either have no hitstun (Fox, Inkling, Bayonetta's A moves), were nerfed to oblivion (Falco), or in Bayo's case are shot at an upward angle, have noticeable start up, and gives a very noticeable tell. Furthermore none of these characters are designed with having fire arms as a central aspect of their moveset with Fox, Falco, and Bayonetta being designed primarily as combo characters. How heavily do you think guns would be incorporated into her moveset and how do you think they would be balanced?

2. Her mix of dual swords and guns looks like it heavily intrudes into the Links' niche as the resident projectile heavy swordsmen. :ultlink: is designed to be powerful with good reach and weight but slow with bad recovery while :ulttoonlink: & :ultyounglink: are designed to be small and fast but with mediocre kill potential but Elma looks like she'd be a character with good reach who's both fast and powerful along with having much more potent projectile weapons. How would she be balanced to not completely invalidate the Links?

I never played Xenoblade Chronicles X so I have little in-depth knowledge on her. Feedback would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom