• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Please don't tell me that Miss X will be an actual woman this time. It's not like they're exactly hurting for heroines to add in this game without resorting to this.
Had to look up who "Miss X" was.

They probably just didn't want to have a big SNK crossover without the main character of Fatal Fury/King of Fighters, but since it was an All-Female thing they decided to make Terry Bogard a woman as a "gag" (seriously look how uncomfortable Terry looks with the cosplay. XD).
Long con, no, but I can see them morphing the logo during a reveal video specifically to introduce another Final Fantasy character.
Hype generating is not complicated. You wouldn't have as much leverage if things like this didn't exist.
I can see that happening 100%, it's just better not to expect anyone beyond Cloud and his cohorts.
The fact that I'm 100% behind Tifa's inclusion notwithstanding.
FF7 is the most (mainstream) popular and well known Final Fantasy.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You're telling me that none of you considered the possibility of Heihachi being revealed at EVO 2018? Even if the possibility is small?
1510482796248.jpg

That's a ridiculously low probability that I would label less a possibility and more a pipe dream. Just trying to think anybody getting announced in correlation to an event on the same day only leads me to Shulk and Xenoblade 3D.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
You know if hazards off Windy Hill Zone just removes the windmill completely and the springs never appear it would be a perfectly fine competitive stage. Overall I'd be happy to see it back for that potential, and while Sonic Lost World wasn't a big success, I don't think most Sonic fans would say it was a notably bad game either. It's not a series embarrassment like, say, Metroid Other M which was represented pretty heavily in smash 4...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So uh

The videos they made private? They were older videos. Newer ones are at the top of a playlist. So they’re probably just rearranging things
So they made older videos private?...why lol

Edit: They're literally the oldest...maybe it's a thing where they aren't organized correctly because they are private?

More importantly has private videos ever lead to something like the annoucnement of a direct? I feel like it did once but multiple times turned out to be nothing.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I can see that happening 100%, it's just better not to expect anyone beyond Cloud and his cohorts.
The fact that I'm 100% behind Tifa's inclusion notwithstanding.
FF7 is the most (mainstream) popular and well known Final Fantasy.
I'm sure you've heard of my "the safe side is the least interesting side" speculation policy hahaha.
But honestly it doesn't matter too much to me either way. I think I would rather see someone from a different franchise altogether.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Maybe I should mention my updated Assist Trophy predictions.
  • Birdo
  • Cranky Kong
  • Beedle
  • Revali
  • Mipha
  • Daruk
  • Urbosa
  • Daroach
  • Eggplant Wizard
  • Isabelle
  • Glass Joe
  • Bald Bull
  • Gray Fox
  • Air Man
  • M. Bison
No Poochy?
"In the name of Sakurai, Nintendo, and the Original 12, we pray."
I treat the OG 12 like a Greek Pantheon, and I reserve my worship for one of them...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course the logo is FFVII for Cloud. He doesn't just come from that particular game, he's heavily focused on it and its spin-offs. He's not meant to represent the series as a whole design-wise.

Doesn't really mean anything else for FF content. We could get another character. There's still the generic FF logo that they could fall under while having another unique logo for their particular game origin.

It neither confirms nor denies the idea we could get FF content from other games, basically.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You're telling me that none of you considered the possibility of Heihachi being revealed at EVO 2018? Even if the possibility is small?
Not saying people haven’t considered him being announced for Smash, I’m saying a leak isn’t the reason why we consider Heihachi (though it would make some good timing)

Some people thought he’d be confirmed during Comic Con and other events beforehand, though atleast EVO makes more sense than Comic Con

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
For real though, what's the source on Windy Hill Zone being rumored to return? Is it just one of those fake leaks someone made up and posted without giving us a single good reason to believe but for some reason we discuss anyway, or is there an actual basis for it?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I’m still waiting for this character to be shown off in Smash Ultimate
Please Sakurai show this iconic video game character in some shape of form
I honestly didn't have a clue who the character was until I scrolled through the subsequent posts...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, a fighting game event would be the easiest time to confirm someone like Heihachi.

Leaks really don't make people think this. It's more closer to "oh, an obvious timing, so yeah." But then we have Nintendo who generally doesn't reveal much at non-Nintendo-related events, and sometimes not even then. It's possible, but thought of as highly unlikely.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Not saying people haven’t considered him being announced for Smash, I’m saying a leak isn’t the reason why we consider Heihachi (though it would make some good timing)

Some people thought he’d be confirmed during Comic Con and other events beforehand, though atleast EVO makes more sense than Comic Con
I'm saying it's not much of a leak because it's easy to predict that Heihachi might be revealed during EVO 2018, if any character was.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that if anyone is revealed at EVO, it would be someone from WarioWare (most likely Ashley). WarioWare Gold comes out on the same day as the first day of the tournament.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think that if anyone is revealed at EVO, it would be someone from WarioWare (most likely Ashley). WarioWare Gold comes out on the same day as the first day of the tournament.
As much as I want Ashley I'd be cool with virtually any of the characters.

Kat/Ana would be awesome. Nobody ever talks about that probably because they use swords.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
A fighting game character just makes more sense for a fighting game tournament. Not saying i don't want Ashley, But release dates aren't just everything.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm sure you've heard of my "the safe side is the least interesting side" speculation policy hahaha.
But honestly it doesn't matter too much to me either way. I think I would rather see someone from a different franchise altogether.
But what if playing it safe is what you want? >_>

Btw, I've hidden text three times in the last hour or so and I don't think anyone noticed. XD
No Poochy?

I treat the OG 12 like a Greek Pantheon, and I reserve my worship for one of them...
Hmm...
Aphrodite - :ultpikachu:
Apollo - :ultlink:
Ares - :ultfalcon:
Artemis - :ultfox:
Athena - :ultsamus:
Demeter - :ultyoshi:
Dionysus - :ultdk:
Hades - :ultluigi:
Hera - :ultjigglypuff:
Hermes - :ultness:
Poseidon - :ultkirby:
Zeus - :ultmario:

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Btw, I've hidden text three times in the last hour or so and I don't think anyone noticed. XD

Hmm...
Luigi is Hades? He's a demon? Well...I guess after the Weegee death stare of 2014...

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Hmm...
:ultyoshi: is quite fitting

God of G R O W T H

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
To segue from Scoliosis's point here to a different topic, his point about newcomers & game design is something I've been thinking about when it comes to Elma and I'd like some feedback from her supporters here. She has a fairly unique mix of tools and coming up with a moveset for her would hardly be a monumental undertaking but at the same time:

1. Guns are a very difficult projectile to balance in general. They either have no hitstun (Fox, Inkling, Bayonetta's A moves), were nerfed to oblivion (Falco), or in Bayo's case are shot at an upward angle, have noticeable start up, and gives a very noticeable tell. Furthermore none of these characters are designed with having fire arms as a central aspect of their moveset with Fox, Falco, and Bayonetta being designed primarily as combo characters. How heavily do you think guns would be incorporated into her moveset and how do you think they would be balanced?

2. Her mix of dual swords and guns looks like it heavily intrudes into the Links' niche as the resident projectile heavy swordsmen. :ultlink: is designed to be powerful with good reach and weight but slow with bad recovery while :ulttoonlink: & :ultyounglink: are designed to be small and fast but with mediocre kill potential but Elma looks like she'd be a character with good reach who's both fast and powerful along with having much more potent projectile weapons. How would she be balanced to not completely invalidate the Links?

I never played Xenoblade Chronicles X so I have little in-depth knowledge on her. Feedback would be much appreciated.
The easiest thing to do is to incorporate the Skells, the big battle mechs your characters fight in. These guys are loaded to the brim with weapons, and she can use lasers, missiles, shields and pretty much every kind of weapon under the sun.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I've noticed since I've been quoting you... haha. You want Tifa. Lol.
It's not that you want that to happen because it's the easier bet though, you just happen to want it.

I think Geno is genuine likely to be in the game in some more significant form- that's not why I want him in though. I just genuinely like the character haha.
I was just saying "that's not gonna happen cause another option is easier to do/more likely" is lame to me because it implies mutual exclusivity, and also this is a damn speculation thread haha most of what anyone says here isn't going to happen

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have a feeling that if we get a reveal at EVO we'll hear something tonight.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I have a feeling that if we get a reveal at EVO we'll hear something tonight.
I was honestly thinking the same.
It'd be cool if they had a new demo at EVO showcasing something new, and they revealed whatever it was as the update tonight.

I don't know if it's likely that they'd actually present anything at EVO, but they might. In that case, maybe we'll just have our regular updates and then a secondary one.

Honestly, though, I feel strangely sure that something interesting will happen at EVO. Not sure if that's Smash though hahaha

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Luigi is Hades? He's a demon? Well...I guess after the Weegee death stare of 2014...
Luigi is Hades because Hades, God of the Underworld (GHOSTS!), is the one who tends to get shafted (in modern times).

Also, apparently: "Hades had a cap or helmet that made its wearer invisible". In Super Mario 64 DS, Luigi turns invisible when using the Power Flower.
Each pick actually has some thought put into it. XD Except Ness and Mario.
I've noticed since I've been quoting you... haha. You want Tifa. Lol.
It's not that you want that to happen because it's the easier bet though, you just happen to want it.
Honestly? I don't really care if Final Fantasy gets more characters. Though, if it did get more characters, I'd definitely want Tifa, and if it had to be someone from another series I'd pick Warrior of Light.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Luigi is Hades because Hades, God of the Underworld (GHOSTS!), is the one who tends to get shafted (in modern times).

Also, apparently: "Hades had a cap or helmet that made its wearer invisible". In Super Mario 64 DS, Luigi turns invisible when using the Power Flower.

Honestly? I don't really care if Final Fantasy gets more characters. Though, if it did get more characters, I'd definitely want Tifa, and if it had to be someone from another series I'd pick Warrior of Light.
Dang thats deep

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Aphrodite - God of Love and Seduction :ultjigglypuff:
Apollo - God of Truth :ultlink:
Ares - God of War :ultsamus:
Artemis - God of the Hunt :ultfalcon:
Athena - God of Wisdom :ultness:
Demeter - God of the Harvest :ultkirby:
Dionysus - God of Merriment :ultdk:
Hades - Top God's Neglected Brother :ultyoshi:
Hera - God of Vengeance:ultpikachu:
Hermes - God of Craftiness :ultfox:
Poseidon - Top God's Brother :ultluigi:
Zeus - Top God :ultmario:

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Ness didn't have thought put into it? Let me guess, he was last so you just stuck him with Hermes.

Also I like my boi's placement

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

:p From what I see, not counting the other fighters, Rids would be a combination between Hades and Ares (xD I mean, heck, Ridley naturally can turn invisible and he likes to create massive destruction, kill people and whatnot, plus a lot of other stuff including his gorgeous rightful title in the Boxing Ring). Hmm...I REALLY I like that idea, it fits too well.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Dang thats deep
Ness didn't have thought put into it? Let me guess, he was last so you just stuck him with Hermes.

Also I like my boi's placement
Here's the reasoning for everyone.

Aphrodite (:ultpikachu:): Goddess of Beauty; Beauty = Cuteness.
Apollo (:ultlink:): Had an aptitude for Archery.
Ares (:ultfalcon:): God of War, Captain Falcon was the character who used the "Dragon King" Beta character as a base.
Artemis (:ultfox:): Goddess of Wildlife, also an Archer (Shooting)
Athena (:ultsamus:): Goddess of War, female counterpart of Ares, uses a similar base to Captain Falcon.
Demeter (:ultyoshi:): Goddess of the Harvest and Fertility. Yoshi is known for it's eggs.
Dionysus (:ultdk:): God of the Vine.
Hades (:ultluigi:): Mentioned above.
Hera (:ultjigglypuff:): Had a fierce temper.
Hermes (:ultness:): Ness was one of the left overs, Hermes was a trickster, and I guess Ness has a "tricky" fighting style.
Poseidon (:ultkirby:): Another left over character.
Zeus (:ultmario:): The main Greek God, need I say more?

Kirby was actually the one who didn't fit anywhere, I was originally going to make him Dionysus, but the DK Vine pun spoke to me.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
:p From what I see, not counting the other fighters, Rids would be a combination between Hades and Ares (xD I mean, heck, Ridley naturally can turn invisible and he likes to create massive destruction, kill people and whatnot, plus a lot of other stuff including his gorgeous rightful title in the Boxing Ring). Hmm...I REALLY I like that idea, it fits too well.
It was the OG 12

Did I inadvertently start something?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Plus if there's going to be a reveal, Sakurai will probably jump on Twitter and be like "hey buttheads, tune into for some super cool **** at EVO. Peace out, nerds" but with his usual professional decorum.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As much as I want Ashley I'd be cool with virtually any of the characters.

Kat/Ana would be awesome. Nobody ever talks about that probably because they use swords.
That's one of the reasons why people don't talk about Kat & Ana. They are also outclassed in popularity by the other WarioWare cast, especially Ashley, Mona, and even 9-Volt. They have also been ATs for the last two games and they are most likely staying one.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That's one of the reasons why people don't talk about Kat & Ana. They are also outclassed in popularity by the other WarioWare cast, especially Ashley, Mona, and even 9-Volt. They have also been ATs for the last two games and they are most likely staying one.
Yeah thanks I was trying to imply that I knew that but wanted them anyway hahahaha

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
*Looks at list of the Twelve Olympus Gods*

Poor Hephaestus, mistreated and forgotten both in Mythology and modern culture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom