• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Call it bias. But outside of maybe bandanna dee and k rool, most major series do not need any more reps.

Pokemon, mario, zedla are all good.
Maybe need some rex and pyra because i really like her design, but major players are presant and the rest feep like filler.

Now, if we get more characters from those series, i will not complain, but i would like to see priority elsewhere.

D

Deleted member

But which stage should it go on?

Wario Ware, Inc. or Wii Fit Studio?
*Insert "Why not both?" meme here*

I honestly think both should have it. I'm pretty sure Smash already has stages that share songs, right?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Call it bias. But outside of maybe bandanna dee and k rool, most major series do not need any more reps.

Maybe need some rex and pyra because i really like her design, but major players are presant and the rest feep like filler.

Now, if we get more characters from those series, i will not complain, but i would like to see priority elsewhere.
Pokémon is ever changing so it will never be represented as well as it could be. That being said I feel an Alola Pokémon is more than warranted. Not to mention Isabelle for Animal Crossing.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
K Rool and Gengar rumor.png
Someone brought this up yesterday (even though it's a month old). Has it been disproven by any chance?

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Pokémon is ever changing so it will never be represented as well as it could be. That being said I feel an Alola Pokémon is more than warranted. Not to mention Isabelle for Animal Crossing.
While ever changing, expecting the next starter every smash is more of the same. Something not fire water or grass. Not much of a pk fan now, but not many of them really stand out when compared to the previous gens. Maybe the really angular blocky one would be cool.

And i am down with isabelle. AC could use another rep.

Argument is about the big franchises. They have what they need. More reps for other series please.

D

Deleted member

I'm definitely on the side of wanting Isabelle in. She's practically more of a mascot to AC than the Villager at this point, so if she ends up an AT again I'm gonna be kinda bummed.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, if we see EVO news...

When will we get it?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Im thinking the opposite but maybe that's my bias lol. Smash 4 introduced a lot of new series (like 10 or so with dlc? Crazy). I think Ultimate should beef up its current series as that's where a lot of the fan demand characters are anyway. We'll still see new series too like Splatoon. Just more of a Melee approach where it mostly added characters to already existing series.
This too. There will always be good and new Pokemon to add. Same with Fire Emblem, although I think that one will be waiting for dlc.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Im thinking the opposite but maybe that's my bias lol. Smash 4 introduced a lot of new series (like 10 or so with dlc? Crazy). I think Ultimate should beef up its current series as that's where a lot of the fan demand characters are anyway. We'll still see new series too like Splatoon. Just more of a Melee approach where it mostly added characters to already existing series.

This too. There will always be good and new Pokemon to add. Same with Fire Emblem, although I think that one will be waiting for dlc.
Which is fine by me. Just not mario, zelda, pokemon.

I would like to see
Isabelle, elma, doc lewis, bandanna dee, and reps from smaller series more than another mario or pokemon rep.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Which is fine by me. Just not mario, zelda, pokemon.

I would like to see
Isabelle, elma, doc lewis, bandanna dee, and reps from smaller series more than another mario or pokemon rep.
Gotcha. Yea I'd agree. However we already have Daisy so that's our Mario Rep (the only one I'm expecting anyway) and I'd personally bet on both Impa and a gen 7 Pokemon, both seem likely to me.

Also Zelda is kinda weird, like sure it's got a lot of representation, but it also hasn't seen a real newcomer since Melee.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Gotcha. Yea I'd agree. However we already have Daisy so that's our Mario Rep (the only one I'm expecting anyway) and I'd personally bet on both Impa and a gen 7 Pokemon, both seem likely to me.

Also Zelda is kinda weird, like sure it's got a lot of representation, but it also hasn't seen a real newcomer since Melee.
True. I hope it is just echos then. Ss impa would be cool.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You guys realize that Primarina, as a seal is not agile enough to do half the stuff in Smash right?

You gotta go for Popplio or Brionne. As seal lions, they actually can move easily on land.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's kind of a shame, really. I know there are other factors like dev time and prioritising other, more popular characters, but I think Dark Pit could easily be reworked into a unique fighter. KIU has tons of other weapons to draw from, like staves, clubs, palms etc. Though I wonder, if Dark Pit were made into a unique fighter, would that make people hate him more, or less?
Until Pittoo learns how to not fight like Pit...he will always be an echo of Pit

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I'm expecting a maximum of two 3rd party newcomers. In the base roster atleast.

I think that's a fair number if we are getting a roster of 8-10 characters.

D

Deleted member

15 private videos on Nintendo's youtube channel - announcements coming
I mean, maybe, but it also could be trailers for indie games coming out.

I'm still not 100% positive we're getting anything more until September, TBH.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You guys realize that Primarina, as a seal is not agile enough to do half the stuff in Smash right?

You gotta go for Popplio or Brionne. As seal lions, they actually can move easily on land.
You realize that Little Mac, as a boxer, is not unique enough to just do punches for a whole moveset in Smash right? :p

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean, maybe, but it also could be trailers for indie games coming out.

I'm still not 100% positive we're getting anything more until September, TBH.
Why September? Directs are traditionally every other month.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So, if we see EVO news...

When will we get it?
Announcements usually happen before or after Grand Finals for the relevant games. Not sure when they'd do it since Smash 4 Finals happen on Saturday, and Sunday is usually when the big stuff happens as that's when viewership peaks, but at the same time an Ultimate reveal wouldn't feel very relevant during Melee as that community is pretty far detached from it. There are also Ultimate exhibition matches scheduled for tomorrow, but that's a long shot.

If anything I'd bet on after Smash 4, even if it's on Saturday.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Personally: I was a Nintendo kid. Never owned a PlayStation of any kind until I was in my 20's, and I've still never owned an X-Box, so the Nintendo history is the stuff that means more to me. While I can respect their place in history, guys like Ryu and Cloud had zero influence on my childhood.

Roster-wise: As was brought up by someone else just now, the fact that the "big" Nintendo star are already in means we can dig into some more retro/obscure/niche fighters, and I love that kind of stuff. Suddenly throwing open the door to Third-Parties and making it a "gaming" crossover means that those niche characters are totally irrelevant now. Why add the protagonist of a beloved but forgotten 90's Nintendo series when Sonic/Master Chief/Laura Croft are the table?

I actually am not against Third-Parties categorically. It happened more gradually.

:ultsnake: - "What a weird choice! I love how out-of-place and random he is. A cool guest character"
:ultsonic: - "He's super-iconic and him and Mario were big rivals, so that makes sense. He fits in nicely with the cast."
:ultmegaman: - "Sweet. Another retro icon"
:ultpacman: - "A little odd, but he's one of the original gaming characters, so I can dig it. Four guests in a roster out of more than 5 is more than reasonable."
:ultryu: - "...OK. I'd rather someone else, but he seems alright."
:ultcloud: - "...I guess some people will be excited"
:ultbayonetta: - "Seriously? DLC has been such a disappointment."

It wasn't really until DLC finished that I got actively annoyed with how many there were. And now it's opened the floodgates to lobbying for every JRPG protagonist and Twitch-friendly franchise under the sun, which, again, as a fan of mainly classic Nintendo, is mildly disheartening.

Still, not everyone shares that view, and I get that. It's just the way my gaming history and the evolution of the series has shaped my perspective.
For me, I used to be very against third parties - with the exception of Sonic due to his history as Mario's biggest rival. Snake came out of absolutely nowhere and did nothing for me in Brawl.

With Sm4sh's third parties, I don't really know most of their games. I know of them, but I don't play most of those genres. It did however make me more open to more third parties in Smash.

While I don't want an overload, I'm okay with major icons. I'm now at the point where my most wanted is a third party. I feel like he'd fit, I feel he's iconic despite recency, I could make up reasons for his inclusion all day, but save for a miracle, I know he's not getting in.
I mean, if they want to do a "gaming crossover", why not actually do one proper? Instead of just slowly shoe-horning TP's into Smash, actually make a giant crossover with the best of the best in gaming history? Obviously it would be a licensing nightmare, but some of these companies have already shown a willingness to play ball.
This would have been a better way to do it honestly. No offense to fans, but I feel that Sonic and Dark Pit are not exactly on the same level.

---

So, potential Zelda newcomers anyone? I think it's long overdue personally. Impa is a front runner for sure, and for good reasons. But if she's a Echo of Sheik, there's room for more probably.
I want some since there's still too much similarity in the Zelda franchise, but I'm not too hopeful. Impa as a Sheik echo really wouldn't do much for me in the first place - If any series shoudn't get another clone, it's Zelda (and StarFox). I wanted Midna, but she's back to assist. Skull Kid's still MIA as a possibility. There are also the Champions, but they are better as a four-pack in the first place and it would feel wrong to see one promoted over the other three (unless it was Urbosa since I'm biased in her favor). I feel they're best as assists or DLC franken-clones of other movesets. But not gonna lie; if they surprised us with a Champion tranformation kit or something like Kass where he summons them for moves, that'd be interesting.

I thought that they'd get rid of transformations in Brawl because no one played Zelda and only played Sheik
:sadeyes:
I always feel like I'm the only one on these boards who liked transformations. Granted, I usually stuck with Zelda and never really pulled Sheik out, but I liked having the option.

And yes, the fact that I prefer Zelda to Sheik should tell you whether I play competitive or not.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I'm betting there won't be a (new and unknown) reveal this month. Who wants to bet against me??

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
15 private videos on Nintendo's youtube channel - announcements coming
Probably prepping for a Direct since a lot of stuff has been announced on the sly recently like Skull Girls Fifteenth Encore, Paper Steven Universe, Hello Neighbor, Bendy and the Mr. Dink Machine, Undertale: Better Late Than Never Edition, etc.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Yep, 15 private vids in the Nintendo 3DS playlist.

EDIT: Playlist says that it was last updated 3 days ago.

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 1.10.20 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom