• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
What are the 7-10 newcomers to the base roster that would make the game PERFECT for you, with the first being “I absolutely NEED them” and the last one being “I could live if they weren’t added but they’d be cool to see regardless”? Counting Echoes, not counting potential DLC candidates who were too late for the base roster (like Rex & Pyra or an ARMS character)
Honestly

1.Shadow the Hedgehog (with his own moveset)

Thats all i really need to be honest, I guess i list of some cool characters then

2.Goku
3.Travis Touchdown
4.Geno
5.Ashley
6.Vergil
7.Phoneix Wright

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
What are the 7-10 newcomers to the base roster that would make the game PERFECT for you, with the first being “I absolutely NEED them” and the last one being “I could live if they weren’t added but they’d be cool to see regardless”? Counting Echoes, not counting potential DLC candidates who were too late for the base roster (like Rex & Pyra or an ARMS character)

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
10. Lloyd Irving
More than anyone:
1. Impa

Extremely close:
2. King K Rool
3. Banjo-Kazooie

Really really want:
4. Bandanna Dee
5. Dixie Kong
6. Ashley
7. Chrom
8. Skull Kid
9. Rayman
10. Medusa

D

Deleted member

Alot of people care just about the character getting in, but also alot of people care about the quality of the character

A thing that adds to the charm of Shadow the Hedgehog is his Chaos abilities. They would make a good moveset and those abilities really seperate him from Sonic.

To have Shadow be a Carbon Copy of Sonic with TWO SPindashes and a Spring doesn't sit well with alot of people, including me. Sonic's moveset is already kind of shafted, since he has TWO SPindashes, and the Chance of Shadow also being Shafted with TWO SPindashes when he has So much more material to use is kinda grim.
If I have to put up with "TWO SPindashes" for the sake of playing as one of my most wanted characters for over a decade, I'll take it. I regularly play as Sonic anyway, so that would just make for an easy transition.

Will him not having the Glass Cannon style that utilizes teleports, continuous momentum, or energy based attacks that I've envisioned stink? Of course. But it's better than not being playable at all, which is the only other alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
But did you actually play the video? Or did you play the video and still think that? :laugh:
Am I able to say yes no matter what? Cause if so...yes (there’ll never be a Sonic song better than this Sonic song)

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
So another rumor. This time about nintendo's online system with some info about smash.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76852966

The moveset expansion for echoes makes this look really really fake.
When someone says "I have video/images I'll post later" I just shake my head. If they had videos/images there wouldn't really be a reason to hold back. Without it, there wouldn't even be a reason to give them the time of day.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Jump up super star is in the game and that's amazing, but can we get the other Mario Odyssey song in there?
Honeylune Ridge Escape is such a great song and I want it in so bad. I'd have it embedded into my post but I don't know how to Smashboards so you're gonna have to take my word for it.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
When someone says "I have video/images I'll post later" I just shake my head. If they had videos/images there wouldn't really be a reason to hold back. Without it, there wouldn't even be a reason to give them the time of day.
People knowing DLC when it's been stated many times that they don't focus on DLC until after the game is finish is where I shake my hand. Guess these guys have access to the future.

D

Deleted member

Jump up super star is in the game and that's amazing, but can we get the other Mario Odyssey song in there?
There's always the chance it won't be. Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla was used for the second half of his trailer, but it's not in the game. I think Robin's trailer also has the opening theme from Awakening in it which is also not in.

Jump Up, Super Star will probably get in, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

7NATOR

Smash Master
If I have to put up with "TWO SPindashes" for the sake of playing as one of my most wanted characters for over a decade, I'll take it. I regularly play as Sonic anyway, so that would just make for an easy transition.

Will him not having the Glass Cannon style that utilizes teleports, continuous momentum, or energy based attacks that I've envisioned stink? Of course. But it's better than not being playable at all, which is the only alternative.
"Only Alternative"

Wow, no hope for Shadow has his own fighter i see. not even considering the possiblity

it is a real possibility for Shadow to be his own character. He has had the support, he has the moves, he's a 3rd party character, he has unique attributes that can bring a lot to the game. All of this is in favor of him being his own character

yes Shadow has a similiar body type to Sonic, but Shadow isn't Automatically doomed to the Echo Chamber. this Echo Fever going around has people thinking certain characters can't get in as their own, including Shadow. That's just not the case. Shadow has a chance, and he has things going for him to be a unique character, instead of a CARBON Copy of Sonic with TWO Spindashes and a Spring that's less unique than a literal Mario in a labcoat (no disrespect to Dr. Mario, He's cool)

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Really though, this is a relatively minor buff but I have to wonder what kind of logic they're using when making these balance decisions lol.
Balancing isn't just about making everything worse for the top characters, you can still give them QoL changes and buffs to underutilized options to make them more fun/interesting, while the character still ends up a lot worse overall, which should be an intended goal of balancing. Like Meta Knight got some things buffed in the transition of Brawl to Smash 4 while the rest of him was massively nerfed (such as Dimensional Cape being made much stronger and Shuttle Loop becoming a straightup vertical early kill move), and certainly no one was complaining about that when Smash 3DS released with everyone calling him terrible immediately out of the gate. In fact no character has gotten nerfed in everything with no buffs at all between the games, and even Smash 4's balance patches would throw a bit of compensation towards heavily nerfed characters (like Diddy getting his jab made more reliable and both him and Sheik getting stronger down smashes).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There's always the chance it won't be. Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla was used for the second half of his trailer, but it's not in the game. I think Robin's trailer also has the opening theme from Awakening in it which is also not in.

Jump Up, Super Star will probably get in, though.
Considering the song plays in Mario’s character trailer and there’s a New Donk City stage, no way the song will be left out
Honeylune Ridge Escape is such a great song and I want it in so bad. I'd have it embedded into my post but I don't know how to Smashboards so you're gonna have to take my word for it.
Add that song...and then have Pauline sing every song in Smash history

cothero

Smash Lord
Desperately want tier:
1. Dixie
2. Elma
3. Impa
4. Lara Croft (not gonna happen but I can dream)

Want tier:
5. Rayman
6. Bandana Dee
7. Isabelle

Would be cool tier:
8. Isaac
9. Medusa
10. King K Rool

That would be my perfect smash game right there
I'd love to see Lara too, but Smash is pretty much an "all stars japanese game characters" and i think she might be a little too european for Sakurai tastes. Although, it's not totally impossible, as Cloud is in the game too representing Square Enix.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'd love to see Lara too, but Smash is pretty much an "all stars japanese game characters" and i think Lara might be too european for Sakurai tastes. Although, it's not totally impossible, as Cloud is in the game too representing Square Enix.
I think Lara's bigger hurdle is that her main weapon is a Pair of Pistols (not even magical ones), with her not really being known for a greater arsenal like Snake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think Lara's bigger hurdle is that her main weapon is a Pair of Pistols (not even magical ones), with her not really being known for a greater arsenal like Snake.
Her biggest competition is Shadow because he also uses realistic guns.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
10. Lloyd Irving
M A X N U T:
1. Sora

ULTRA NUT:
2. Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven Rep
3. Ayumi Tachibana

Super Nut:
4. Mimikyu/Lycanroc/Decidueye/Incineroar
5. Agumon
6. Isabelle

Nut:
7. Jibanyan/Professor Layton
8. Shadow
9. Tingle
10. Bandana Dee/Marx/Adeleine/Rick, Koo, & Kine/Gooey/Magalor/Daroach/Taranza/Susie

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Lol. New Villager is such a dumb leak concept.

''Sakurai will ignore other animal crossing characters for an echo/clone/rep other than Villager and just put in literally Villager with longer limbs."

I wish they used the New Leaf designs for Villagre instead of keeping City Folk.

The City Folk Villagers look weird compared to New Leaf, especially the horrendous female pink hairs City Folk version.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright, this is a big session since I skipped the entirety of yesterday.
>One newcomer: Dixie Kong
>Four assist trophies: Excitebiker, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Simon Belmont, Ryu Hayabusa
>One new stage: Arcade madness - Includes hazards from Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Arkanoid and Asteroids
>New team deathmatch like gamemode

That's what Smash is getting until release, hope you enjoy it
Information regarding two new characters in Ultimate. One original, one echo, both from the Kirby series. Bandana Waddle Dee, and Dark Meta Knight. Dark Meta Knight gets upgraded from a simple color option into his own echo fighter, of course one as Meta Knight. His gimmick compared to the rest of the echos is actually really interesting. He’s weaker, yet most of his attacks, including air attacks and smash attacks, all have lingering effects. A Smash attack will attack normally, and then half a second later, turns into a multi hit move that can be performed even when D. Meta Knight is moving. It’s hard to explain, but you’ll see. Bandana Dee takes traits mainly from Kirby Star Allies. And his most notable feature is his ability to switch between fire, wind, water, electric, and ice elements with his down special. These give his attacks special attributes similar to Shulk. Fire does more damage, Ice can freeze, water pushes similar to Mario’s Fludd, electric has multi hitting properties. Both of the character seems heavily combo based, with Dark Meta being able to hit once, trap the opponent, and then guess where they will end up to do a follow up. Both of these characters seem boring once said out loud, but in actuality, Sakurai and his team managed to make them very interesting fighters. Information came from someone from Hal Laboratories who held a meeting with the Smash Bros staff to discuss how the characters will be represented.
His [Incineroar] Smash reveal is coming soon. He was chosen due to the push he's gotten by the anime, his popularity, and because wrestling is a fighting style not yet used by a Smash fighter.
Howdy y'all. Heard you like leaks...
There's an upcoming Nintendo Direct mini centered around upcoming releases for Nintendo 3DS, airing on Twitch and YouTube on August 8th.
No, I don't know why it's 3DS only. If I had to guess, they wanted to get 3DS announcements out of the way. Release dates may not be accurate to all regions, these are USA dates.
> Luigi's Mansion - releases in October 2018.
> Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey - releases in February of 2019. Showcases Bowser Jr's Journey, very similar to Bowser's Minions from the Superstar Saga.
> Recap montage with already available games for the system, including Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition, Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo, New Super Mario Bros. 2, WarioWare Gold, Captain Toad, Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers.
> New Nintendo 2DS XL models - Creeper edition with Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition pre-installed, Animal Crossing edition with Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo preinstalled, and White & Lavender. Releasing in September, and will be up for pre-order today.
> Sonic the Hedgehog Classics Collection 3D - Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and Sonic the Hedgehog CD are all remastered in widescreen for the Nintendo 3DS, including new features. Also includes the original versions of Sonic Spinball, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, and other Sega Master System and Sega Game Gear Sonic video games. Launching on November 5th, 2018. No Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles in the collection.
> Sonic Mania also launching for the Nintendo 3DS on November 5th, 2018 on the Nintendo eShop, with "Encore Mode" DLC available as well. No physical version announced in the Direct - as far as I know, one isn't planned.
> Yoshi's Puzzle League, a puzzle game where you flip blocks around, coming to the eShop in October 2018.
Hello, I have information on alternative color swaps for characters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate for the full release. Some of these costumes or color swaps will stay as a secret while the rest will be revealed in an upcoming Smash Bros. Direct sometime soon. My sources also state that some costumes are also unlockable through challenges, game modes, and Smash Run/Tour. Take these with a grain of salt.

Peach -> Odyssey Wedding Dress with Tiara featured in some of her attacks

Yoshi -> White colored Yoshi

Toon Link -> Fierce Deity color swap similar to Link in Super Smash Bros. 3Ds and Wii U

Bowser -> Wedding Tuxedo Bowser from Oddysey

Roy -> Reworked Melee Design [4 Melee design, 4 current]

Meta Knight -> Galacta Knight as an alt.

Dark Pit -> A color swap that has golden blonde hair that mirrors Pit’s golden haired alt.

K. K. Rool -> 2 King, 2 Kaptain, 2 Baron, and 2 Pharaoh outfits

Ryu -> Previous look from Super Smash Bros. 3Ds and Wii U [Street Fighter II]
-> A red gi with brown gloves [Omage to Ken?]

Ridley -> Meta Ridley and Proteus Ridley alts.

By the way, Zero Suit Samus still has her navy blue and orange outfits and Shirtless Shulk returns.
Here's yet another Smash Ultimate Leak. Sorry to say I know nothing about any newcomers, but I figure this other stuff will be interesting anyway:

There is planned to be free content updates ala Splatoon 2/ARMs but in the form of stages (think of it as being returning stages 90% of the time, though) and "seasons" for online play in a ranked mode.

They're going heavier on alternate costumes in the game, as you've probably already seen with things like Meta Ridley and Mario's Builder and Wedding costumes. They are planning to make more available for DLC.

Break The Targets is back, and each character has a unique stage like in Melee. Smash Tour is gone.

You'll be able to unlock and customize themes for the game's menus. Some of these are based on series, past Smash games, and various Nintendo aesthetics.
Hello I know you all want to know who is in Smash Bros. Ultimate, I can only reveal two characters just to make it clear I am not willing to discuss further details as I do not have anymore access to this information... King K Rool from Donkey Kong Country and Geno from Super Mario RPG are now newcomers to the Smash Bros. Ultimate roster. Please keep updated on the Nintendo Directs to find more out about Smash Bros. Ultimate in the later months!
Yes, we're all sick of these. No, that won't stop me from expressing what I know.

- The leaks from Vergeben are half-right. Simon Belmont is a playable character, Isabel is not. Her Assist Trophy returns.
- While the Geolyte leaks are fake, Geolyte is in fact coming to Smash.
- Bandanna Waddle Dee and Marx are both coming to Smash as new characters. Waddle Dee behaves similarly to how he does in Star Allies/Return to Dreamland, and Marx's moveset layout was later used for inspiration in Star Allies.
- Klonoa is a newcomer and the second representative of Namco. His default design uses the outfit from the Wii remake of Door to Phantomile, and his PS1 outfit is an alt. His Klonoa 2 design is only referenced through a palette swap.
- King K. Rool is also a newcomer, pulling most of his standard moves from Donkey Kong and Bowser. His specials are all entirely unique and based on attacks from his various boss battles.
- Decidueye is also a newcomer, plays about how everyone has expected him to.
- New Echo Fighters include Zeraora (Lucario,) Ninten (Ness,) Dr. Luigi (Dr. Mario,) Chrom (Ike,) and Dark Samus (Samus.)
- Plenty of unconfirmed retro stages return, too many to list.
- New Stages include Phantomile Tour from Klonoa, Mii Maker, Altar of the Sunne/Moone from Pokemon Sun/Moon, and Marx's Arena from Kirby.
- Dixie Kong is not playable, she appears in Diddy Kong's new Final Smash.
- Chrom obviously no longer appears in Robin's Final Smash. His role is filled by Frederick.
- New Assist Trophies include Sephiroth, Gaius, and Cappy. Isaac returns from Brawl.
- Shadow is still an Assist Trophy, he has just not been revealed yet.
- A Nintendo Direct will be shown on August 14th. Decidueye/Zeraora's reveal trailer will be shown. Additionally, a Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct is planned for September 28th.
K. Rool will look like a throwback to his first appearance with large golden chest armor and darker scales. Although, he will still retain some of his looks from his modern appearance.

Some of his moves include the Crown Toss, Kremling Shockwave (butt stomp from DK64), among others. He does use the blunderbuss for some of his attacks like shooting out the poisonous gasses.

Heaviest character in the game. Somewhat slow but very powerful. Final smash includes him sucking up opponents with his blunderbuss and transporting them to the Gangplank Galleon in a neat little cutscene. K. Rool falls from the sky and cannonballs will drop from the top of the ship and toss his captured opponents around like ping-pong balls.
The next Nintendo Direct will be mid-August but will have more minor titles and announcements. For those like myself hoping for Smash Ultimate updates we aren't going to see one until early September. I have SEVERAL sources confirming this and all are saying the same thing so I have to assume this information is correct.
Hello Guys, I have information about who are the remaining newcomers yet to be revealed. Sakurai said that we shouldnt expect too many newcomer well that isnt true, I have a friend on the Bandai Namco delevopment team that gave me this information. There are a total of 7 newcomers and 2 echoes.

The newcomers are:
-Simon Belmont
-King K Rool:
Chosen by his popularity in the Smash Ballot.
-Dixie Kong:
She wont be an echo but her moveset will be a little similar to Diddys especially her Side special.
-Geno:
Chosen by his popularity in the Smash Ballot.
-Hades
-Viridi:
Both chosen because Sakurai wanted because he wanted to give Kid Icarus more representation, Medusa was also considered.
-Rex and Pyra:
They were considered even before Xenoblade 2 was released.

The echo fighters are:
-Princess Hilda=Zelda
-Black Shadow=Captain Falcon

I dont know when these characters are gonna be revealed, but I can assure that they will be definetly in the game.

Good day.
>Bandanna Dee
>K. Rool
>Paper Mario
>Ashley
>Ridley (already known)
>Inkling (already known)
>Miku Hinasaki
>Lip
>Elma
>Geno as a Mii Gunner Echo
>Dark Samus as a Samus Echo
>Isabelle as a Villager Echo
>Daisy as a Peach Echo (already known)

Unlockable costumes are now a thing. Sakurai basically thinks of Echo Fighters as a halfstep between clone and costumes. Meta Ridley is one of them.

Ashley will be revealed in an August Direct along with Geno.

September has Elma revealed in a mini direct containing a release trailer for Xenoblade Chronicle 2's DLC.

October has a Smash Direct with K. Rool Miku Hinasaki, and Isabelle.

Elma is revealed in November with Dark Samus, via a special reveal event like Robin's.

The rest are only revealed post release. K. Rool gets a trailer released same day, though.

Simon Belmont might be DLC.
Apple Juice
Vampire
Puppet
Disney
Unite
Tracker
Maria

These are your smash newcomers. That's all I can say
Super smash bros ultimate is one of the most anticipated games in the franchise. This comes with many fake leaks, but I have something very real to share with you all. I am good friends with a programmer of the game who should remain anonymous for legal reasons. He only works with character models and attacks, but I don’t know much about attacks so I’ll just be revealing characters. So far, he has shown me 10 brand new characters, 5 new third parties, 3 upgraded assist trophies.

New Characters

-From the donkey Kong series, much wanted Dixie Kong and King K Rool will appear. I was told that Dixie is going to be a semi clone

-from fire emblem, chrom will return as a semi-clone of Ike

-there will be 2 new Pokémon, decidueye and mimikyu. I am also told that zeraora could come if there’s enough time, but nothing’s definite with that one

-the Zelda series will have one new inclusion, hilda

-The Mario series will have geno, paper Mario, and captain toad as new characters

-the Kirby series will have one new character, morpho knight

-the warioware series will see Ashley as a playable fighter

Third parties

-Simon Belmont will make it into smash

-this game will have characters from indie games including sans and shovel knight

-the last 2 third parties are goku and goku black finally making an appearance due to fan demand

Upgraded assist trophies

-shadow the hedgehog will be in the game with few similarities to sonic

-Dark samus will be playable with a unique phazon moveset

-finally, waluigi will be playable alongside being an assist trophy. And can you think of something more waluigi than summoning himself?
Hello, you all may think this is just is a "fake leak" but it will be proven right in upcoming Nintendo Directs and videos, I am currently working with a developer of the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. There will be 4 newcomers and 2 echo fighters, The newcomers are as follows: King K Rool, Geno, Ashley and Claus/The Masked Man, most of these results are from the Smash Ballot, The echo fighters are as follows: Hilda and Octoling. The cut fighters are as follows: Dixie Kong, Paper Mario and Isaac, Dixie Kong was replaced by the more popular King K Rool, Paper Mario was scraped because Sakurai thought it would be "to confusing", Issac was scraped because Sakurai couldn't find a way to use him. Adventure mode is returning and is being developed by an outside company, so it is expected to be "bigger and better" than Brawl's Subspace Emissary.
Hello, my friend over at Nintendo based Japan got an oversight on the roster for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Thank me later on 7/12/18!

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy e
Rosalina & Luma
Dr. Mario
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Geno
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Wario
Ashley
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Impa e
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Young Link
Kirby
King Dedede
Bandana Waddle Dee
Meta Knight
Ice Climbers
Marth
Lucina e
Roy
Ike
Robin
Corrin
Alm/Cecilia
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Little Mac
Pit
Dark Pit e
Palutena
Ness
Lucas
Ninten
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Pokémon Trainer
*Squirtle
*Ivysaur
*Charizard
Pichu
Lucario
Greninja
Decidueye
Captain Falcon
Black Shadow e
Shulk
Elma
Villager B/G
Isabelle e
Inkling G/B
Olimar/Alph
Mr. Game and Watch
R.O.B
Duck Hunt Duo
Isaac
Wii-FIT Trainer F/M
Sonic
Mega Man
PAC-MAN
Snake
Simon Belmont
Ryu
Heihachi
Cloud
Bayonetta
Mii Fighters
Random Button
Aight my sources told me an additional character a while ago to the addition of Isabelle. If I find anything else, it will be posted on my reddit next so keep an eye out.

Simon Belmont
Isabelle
Ashley

Thank me later.
August 29th - Lloyd Irving
September 26th - Isabelle and Simon Belmont
October 29th - Saki and Isaac
November 26th - King K. Rool

>Let me explain the riddle.

The 1st trailer and last trailer will have a single character announced, while the 2nd trailer and 3rd trailer will have two characters announced, when the month's number is even the trailer will be released on the 29th and when month's number is odd the trailer will be released on the 26th.
. For new fighters in the base game though, Sakurai heavily leaned on the International results of the Smash Ballot, as many have speculated. So without further ado, what follows is all the info I have at the current date.

New Fighters:

1. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)- One of the most requested on the Smash Ballot, powerful and slow
2. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)- A fighter Sakurai wanted to add in Smash 4, semi- clone of Diddy
3. Geno (Super Mario RPG)- One of the most requested on the Smash Ballot, well balanced projectile and magic based fighter
4. Isaac (Golden Sun)- One of Europe’s most requested on the Smash Ballot, will use a sword but will also have magic based attacks
5. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles)- Almost didn’t make it in due to timing, Rex is the main fighter but Pyra follows him acting as his blade
6. Simon Belmont (Castlevania)- Simon was Konami’s stipulation for allowing snake, uses his iconic whip as well as some of his other traditional attacks
7. Shovel Night (Shovel Knight)- The first Independent Character, move set is heavily based off of his attacks in his game

New Echo Fighters:

1. Chrom (FE: Awakening)- Echo of Ike, faster but less powerful version of Ike
2. Ninten (Earthbound)- Echo of Nes, pretty much exactly like Nes
3. Dark Samus (Metroid)- Echo of Samus, attacks are the same but animations have been changed to look phazon based
4. Shadow (Sonic Franchise)- Echo of Sonic, slightly slower than sonic but more powerful, attacks are the same but animations have been changes to look more a chaos based

Potential Echo Fighters:

1. Impa (Legend of Zelda)- Echo of Shiek
2. Dark Shadow (F-Zero)- Echo of Captain Falcon
3. Medusa (Kid Icarus)- Echo of Pauletena
4. Celica (FE: Echoes)- Echo of Robin
5. Isabelle (Animal Crossing)- Echo of Villager
6. Princess Hilda (Legend of Zelda)- Echo of Princess Zelda
7. Ms. Pacman (Pacman)- Echo of Pacman
8. Octolings (Splatoon)- Echo of Inklings
9. Dry Bowser (Mario)- Echo of Bowser
Just gonna drop a few big ones. These probably aren't all of the unrevealed characters, but these are the ones I heard about.

- Geno
- Celica
- Simon Belmont
- Isabelle

Source hinted at a Direct in mid-August that'd reveal one of these (guessing Simon but who knows). Also heard Ashley is still an Assist Trophy, for those who care.
A friend I know works on the localization team for the game, he has given me some insights on the development, including the full roster and stages.
The roster consists of fan favorites chosen from the ballot consisting of King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Simon Belmont, Ashley, Geno, and echo fighters Dark Samus, Isabelle, and Shadow, alongside two very special newcomers Goku and Twilight and Spike who will be the exception made for this game.
Sakurai was willing to bend the rules due to the heavy amount of requests for these characters and how well they would fit with the rest of the roster.

New stages consist of a stage based on the research station in Metroid Fusion, a stage based on Tropical Freeze, an area in the Alola region, a stage based on Dracula's Castle, Kami's Lookout, and a stage set in the Crystal Empire.

There's also this from someone who knew about Isabelle before Vergeben leaked it.

I think the thing about Vergeben compared to our other "major leakers" is that he's someone who leaks a bunch of different content, and you can tell he's likely doing it for the internet fame compared to the interest of the fanbase or to backup someone who's actually right. I don't really like him, but he's the Gematsu of this speculation period I guess. That's my 2 cents on him.
Do you know who said this?

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
So another rumor. This time about nintendo's online system with some info about smash.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76852966

The moveset expansion for echoes makes this look really really fake.
I think people are putting a bit too much faith into PR speak about the claims of DLC not being considered until the game releases when they immediately disregard any "leak" that talks about DLC, when DLC is something that can't be openly talked about pre-release without angering the fanbase and gaming companies lie about it all the time, as seen with Smash 4 where they said the same thing yet Mewtwo was clearly being developed before Smash3DS released and the timeline of Lucas/Roy/Ryu shows that they probably were too. That said, giving away 6 DLC characters for free sounds like nonsense and Smash is not going to do the same model Splatoon and Arms did, considering a big premise of those games were that they were new IPs with lackluster content for the base game but would make up for it with free DLC, Smash is clearly not that type of game.

"Only Alternative"

Wow, no hope for Shadow has his own fighter i see. not even considering the possiblity

it is a real possibility for Shadow to be his own character. He has had the support, he has the moves, he's a 3rd party character, he has unique attributes that can bring a lot to the game. All of this is in favor of him being his own character

yes Shadow has a similiar body type to Sonic, but Shadow isn't Automatically doomed to the Echo Chamber. this Echo Fever going around has people thinking certain characters can't get in as their own, including Shadow. That's just not the case. Shadow has a chance, and he has things going for him to be a unique character, instead of a CARBON Copy of Sonic with TWO Spindashes and a Spring that's less unique than a literal Mario in a labcoat (no disrespect to Dr. Mario, He's cool)
So are you determined to make "TWO Spindashes and a Spring!" into a meme?

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think people are putting a bit too much faith into PR speak about the claims of DLC not being considered until the game releases, when DLC is something that can't be openly talked about pre-release without angering the fanbase and gaming companies lie about it all the time, as seen with Smash 4 where they said the same thing yet Mewtwo was clearly being developed for Smash3DS released and the timeline of Lucas/Roy/Ryu shows that they probably were too. That said, giving away 6 DLC characters for free sounds like nonsense and Smash is not going to do the same model Splatoon and Arms did, considering a big premise of those games were that they were new IPs with lackluster content for the base game but would make up for it with free DLC, Smash is clearly not that type of game.

So are you determined to make "TWO Spindashes and a Spring!" into a meme?

I think the only Free DLC characters would be echo fighters, if there are any DLC Echo fighters

also the phrase is not meant to be a meme, its to Illustrate the Grim Possibility of Shadow being an Echo Carbon Copy of Sonic with TWO Spindashes and a Spring with No Chaos abilities.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
A lot of the characters that'd fit this bill for me have been already deconfirmed in some form up to this point so I had hard time filling this list up. Otherwise Captain Toad would have been No.1 (E3 most likely deconfirmed him through Peach's Special)

1. Dixie Kong (Non-Echo)
2. Lip
3. Isaac
4. Rayman
5. Saki Amamiya
6. Chorus Kids/Karate Joe
7. Lloyd Irving
8. Valkyrie
9. Chrom

Sometimes I can't help but feel kind of disheartened at this recurring thing that implies I have an unfortunate taste on characters here compared to many others' more popular and rallied kind... everybody else's characters seem more likelier in comparison (Geno, Ashley, Isabelle, Gengar suddenly of all things, etc), aside from maybe Rayman and Dixie Kong (but even then I'm preparing her to be an echo at the very worst)

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I think the only Free DLC characters would be echo fighters, if there are any DLC Echo fighters

also the phrase is not meant to be a meme, its to Illustrate the Grim Possibility of Shadow being an Echo Carbon Copy of Sonic with TWO Spindashes and a Spring with No Chaos abilities.
You could certainly do better than repeat exactly "TWO Spindashes and a Spring" in every single post of yours.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
A lot of the characters that'd fit this bill for me have been already deconfirmed in some form up to this point so I had hard time filling this list up. Otherwise Captain Toad would have been No.1 (E3 most likely deconfirmed him through Peach's Special)

1. Dixie Kong (Non-Echo)
2. Lip
3. Isaac
4. Rayman
5. Saki Amamiya
6. Chorus Kids/Karate Joe
7. Lloyd Irving
8. Valkyrie
9. Chrom

Sometimes I can't help but feel kind of disheartened at this recurring thing that implies I have an unfortunate taste on characters here compared to many others' more popular and rallied kind... everybody else's characters seem more likelier in comparison, aside from maybe Rayman and Dixie Kong (but even then I'm preparing her to be an echo at the very worst)
It's a tough life for us Captain Toad fans but I won't give up hope :^) I also think the only really popular character that I've seen asked for that I want is Bandana Dee. K. Rool, Ridley, Geno were all characters I've never cared for so let's share our bad taste together :)

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You could certainly do better than repeat exactly "TWO Spindashes and a Spring" in every single post of yours.
but i don't know anything else that perfectly encapsulates the the possibility of Shadow being an echo in one phrase.

TWO Spindashes and a Spring for Shadow with No Chaos abilities is crime god DAMn

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anyone got color/costume swaps they want to see in this installment? Assuming we get more than the minimum requirement of 8 for 8-player mode.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Her biggest competition is Shadow because he also uses realistic guns.
But Shadow is edgy while Lara is just sexy (though Shadow is hotter due to the edge and being

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
10. Lloyd Irving
1. Captain Toad
2. Impa
3. Shadow
4. Viridi
5. King K Rool
6. Dixie Kong
7. Shantae
8. Scorpion/Sub Zero
9. Isabelle
10. Ribbon Girl

There is no character from this list I want to live without

SonicMario

Smash Master
You know, this Shadow argument almost makes me vaguely curious if something similar would of happened with Daisy if they had instead waited to reveal her as an Echo for say... October when Super Mario Party releases. And instead they chose someone different as our first echo fighter (Maybe Dark Samus? Oh man the emotional whiplash Ridley fans would of gotten thinking at first Dark Samus would be all they're getting. But then ultra happy with 2 new Metroid reps in the same presentation).

Daisy had some obsessive fans that argued very much that she wouldn't be a peach clone if she was in Smash. (Though even most of said fans seem to be happy she's in despite being an echo anyway). I'm not saying Daisy and Shadow are in completely the same situations, as for one Daisy is 1st Party so Nintendo is a lot more free to do whatever they want with them. But I feel like it'd be at it's core pretty similar in terms of being brought up at random points in Echo fighter debates just like Shadow has been quite a bit lately. And they're both characters that were always kind of berserk buttons when it came to Smash discussions one way or another even prior to the existence of Echo Fighters.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Anyone got color/costume swaps they want to see in this installment? Assuming we get more than the minimum requirement of 8 for 8-player mode.
If he isn't gonna be added as a possible Echo for Ness, I'd like to see Ninten as a possible alt skin for him. It's kinda sad he's the only protag from the series not represented in any kind of way.

KMDP

Smash Legend
but i don't know anything else that perfectly encapsulates the the possibility of Shadow being an echo in one phrase.

TWO Spindashes and a Spring for Shadow with No Chaos abilities is crime god DAMn
Hmm...

"Classic Daisy" for Daisy.
"Bull Helmet", "Jet Helmet" and "Dragon Helmet" for Wario.
"Russian Sneaking Suit" (in Black and White), "Tuxedo" and "MGS1 Snake" for Snake.
In fact...
"SM64 Mario" for Mario.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Say it me, say it loud, and say it twice more even louder after that.

Echoes are most likely being added as late consolation prizes that are easy for Sakurai to achieve and thus will not take up a majority of the newcomer roster.

Sakurai only invented this term to make people more okay with the idea of their characters being what are virtually 1 for 1 clones. An easier sell if you will.

This was not so he could add 8 echo newcomers and 3 unique newcomers. Echoes are not going to take up the newcomer roster. ECHOES ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE UP THE NEWCOMER ROSTER. I REPEAT....ECHOES. NOT. TAKE. UP. NEWCOMER. ROSTER.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom