• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Chaos Blast isn't a trademark ability to begin with. Chaos Spear is literally the only one other than Chaos Control that can be even remotely called that, and they don't even appear in all games. The reality is? His trademark abilities only show up sometimes. If they don't show up in Smash, which has a reasonable chance of happening? Too bad. It happens.

You're way overexxaggerating how important it is when it comes to making him playable. Of course there is nothing wrong with you preferring he's more unique. That's fair. When you pretend he has no chance to be a clone or play mostly like Sonic while still having his canon personality(which is what people love the most about him, not so much the Chaos abilities which aren't nearly as important as you make it), he'd still be accurate. The only thing that is consistent with Shadow is his personality. His abilities, other than always being based upon Sonic to some degree, are really inconsistent to begin with. No matter how he is in Smash, as long as he still does what he can actually do, he can't be inaccurate.

Again, you don't want him to be an Echo? That's is fine. It's fair. But the idea he can't be is extremely wrong because there's more than enough evidence to show the idea of him being an Echo is quite possible. You act like Sega would care when there's no good reason for them to as long as Shadow is remotely accurate. Now, if you want to use some of Sonic's bad moves as example(like his Down Tilt), you'd have a point. That might feel too out of character. Shadow playing generally like Sonic in itself is not the case and he does it in most of his canon and non-canon appearances.
i guess you are right

there is always a chance of Shadow as echo

it's just that...man Sonic Echo would kinda be lame, especially for Shadow when he has his Chaos abilities

in all the Sonic games, when he actually is fighting he uses some type of Chaos abilitiy, whether it be Chaos Spear or Chaos Control, so to just make him use a Spring would be....ehhhhhhh

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i guess you are right

there is always a chance of Shadow as echo

it's just that...man Sonic Echo would kinda be lame, especially for Shadow when he has his Chaos abilities

in all the Sonic games, when he actually is fighting he uses some type of Chaos abilitiy, whether it be Chaos Spear or Chaos Control, so to just make him use a Spring would be....ehhhhhhh
He uses springs all the time, though. XD

But no, that's fair. You'd find it lame. Nobody is even arguing against your opinion of what you prefer. All the power to ya, man. I want his guns more than his chaos abilities alone(though those too). I just accepted that if he's playable, what I want may not happen(hell, the idea his guns could even show up seems super unlikely).

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Ten Character thing.

For the record, I think the roster we have right now is pretty much perfect. There are few characters that I feel are essentials beyond what we currently have, but they are:

1. Dixie Kong
2. Simon Belmont

Then there are a few characters I think are fairly deserving to get in, but aren't totally essential.

3. K. Rool
4. Isabelle
5. Gen 7 Pokemon

And then a few characters that I really want.

6. Mythra
7. ARMS character
8. Paper Mario
9. Shantae
10. Geno

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm trying to think what would be the cutest possible match you could achieve in Smash Brothers?

If Isabelle gets in as leaked?

Maybe Pikachu vs Pichu vs Kirby vs Isabelle?

Pikachu vs Yoshi vs Kirby vs Isabelle?

People who have made their name on cuteness beating the crap out of one another.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm trying to think what would be the cutest possible match you could achieve in Smash Brothers?

People who have made their name on cuteness beating the crap out of one another.
Better yet, make it an event match.

Pikachu vs Jigglypuff vs Pichu vs Kirby vs Bandana Dee vs Yoshi vs Isabelle vs Ice Climbers (8-Player Smash is a thing)
---
Actually, speaking of Isabelle, I went to the Animal Crossing wiki to get a better render for roster maker. The image used for her on her page is her render from Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, which means the file is called "Isabelle_AF".

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman

Pichu and Isabelle would be absolute musts.

Let's see...

Pichu vs Pikachu vs Isabelle vs Kirby vs Yoshi vs Squirtle vs Inkling vs Jigglypuff on Yoshi's Island 64. (assuming YI64 can accommodate 8P Smash)

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Top 10 characters:

S Tier
1. Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell

A Tier
2. King K. Rool
3. Ashley
4. Mach Rider
5. Funky Kong(Echo)
6. Simon Belmont

B Tier
7. Ninten(Echo)
8. Banjo
9. Rex & Pyra
10. Bandana Dee

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
What are the 7-10 newcomers to the base roster that would make the game PERFECT for you, with the first being “I absolutely NEED them” and the last one being “I could live if they weren’t added but they’d be cool to see regardless”? Counting Echoes, not counting potential DLC candidates who were too late for the base roster (like Rex & Pyra or an ARMS character)

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
10. Lloyd Irving
Pretty much my top ten in order.
1. Marx
2. Adeleine
3. Kumatora
4. Kraid
5. K. Rool
6. Ashley
7. Bandanna Dee
8. Agumon
9. Galacta Knight
10. Krookodile

D

Deleted member

To pull off the cutest match, you would need to force Kirby to have Ryu, Little Mac, or Snake powers for the whole match.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

That's hard to say. A lot of them seem cute, but are constantly deadly in some way. Isabelle obviously isn't a killer by heart or even have that hidden personality. Kirby and Yoshi? They do. Pichu maybe. Squirtle could work, as it at least is super adorable on its own. Especially with the new facial expressions. Ivysaur too. Then you got Leaf. It's just Charizard that stands out a bit...

Then again, if you have other characters like Lip or Ashley, you have two easy choices.

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.

(counting not confirmed characters)
Pichu vs Kirby vs Isabelle vs Lemmy vs Marx vs Pikachu vs Dedede vs Yoshi
With confirmed characters replace Marx with either Diddy Kong or Jigglypuff... (but still Marx is cuter)

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

I notice a criminal lack of Kirby with ROB hat in there.

Noipoi

Howdy!
That's hard to say. A lot of them seem cute, but are constantly deadly in some way. Isabelle obviously isn't a killer by heart or even have that hidden personality. Kirby and Yoshi? They do. Pichu maybe. Squirtle could work, as it at least is super adorable on its own. Especially with the new facial expressions. Ivysaur too. Then you got Leaf. It's just Charizard that stands out a bit...

Then again, if you have other characters like Lip or Ashley, you have two easy choices.
Ashley is precious.
And terrifying.
Just like Kirby! She'd fit right in.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
People really think Isabelle is cute?

I personally think she is annoying and not cute at all.
And I'm glad I will be able to do this (probably).

1532841221590.png

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Part of me really hopes for a day when Pauline is in Smash as well.

Then you can have a 4 human ladies of Mario battle royale.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
What are the 7-10 newcomers to the base roster that would make the game PERFECT for you, with the first being “I absolutely NEED them” and the last one being “I could live if they weren’t added but they’d be cool to see regardless”? Counting Echoes, not counting potential DLC candidates who were too late for the base roster (like Rex & Pyra or an ARMS character)

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
10. Lloyd Irving
I could live in a world where none of these characters get in, given how great the starting roster is. However, these are my top 10:

1. Eight
2. Lycanroc
3. Bandana Dee
4. Crash Bandicoot
5. King K. Rool
6. Chrom
7. Takamaru
8. Ayumi Tachibana
9. Captain Toad
10. Leon S. Kennedy

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman

For me:

1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Simon Belmont
4. Chorus Kids
5. Chrom
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Isabelle
9. Isaac
10. Lloyd Irving
My stance has changed alot since these "leaks" so I will include characters that rumored based on possible evidence, luckily these are characters I feel would make the game perfect for me either way.

BASE ROSTER

1) Isabelle: (Popular Animal Crossing Mascot)
2) Bandana Dee: (Modern Kirby Icon)
3) Cross/Elma: (New Xenoblade Representation)
4) Simon Belmont: (Castlevania is a Popular Series)
5) Decidueye: (New Gen 7 Representation)
6) King K. Rool: (Popular Ballot)
7) Geno: (Popular Ballot)

CAN LIVE WITH OR WITHOUT

8) Heihachi: (Tekken is popular; Moveset hard to implement according to Sakurai)

9) Chorus Kids: (Cut from Smash 4 never told why)

10) Rayman: (Trophy in Smash 4; Western Icon but not too popular in Japan)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I can't even organize my daily routine much less all the characters I want for Smash, lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Um? Cloud Kirby??

HE HAS A SMOL KIRB SIZED BUSTER SWORD *O* >w<

Also you can’t go wrong with Sheik Kirby or even Captain Fal-Kirby, especially the latter’s high pitched “Fawcon Paaaanch!”

its even a meme

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Quick read of a few sentences and I see we're back on Shadow talk. What fun.

Read some interesting stuff today besides the usual skipping of leak talk and Pokemon talk. First one I'll bring up was simply people talking about Chrom again. A lot of people seem to think he has a chance of getting in as an echo but here's something I don't see brought up often, what about as an alt ala Alph? Takes even less work. He could be an alt of any of the 3 Marths or possibly Ike. The only issue with him being an Ike alt or echo is that Ragnell is longer than the Falchion if I'm not mistaken and the Parallel Falchion is the same length as the Falchion in Smash. Both Lucina and Chrom use the Parallel Falchion so it'd be weird for it to be two different lengths in one game. There is Link and Toon Link both wielding the Master Sword I guess but timeline wise, they're so far apart from each other that it could be believed that the size changed.

As for Chrom being an echo, what differences do people even expect of him to make him an echo? Funny enough, with Roy having different animations from Marth now, you could do some crazy combination stuff. Give Chrom Roy's moveset but with Marth's tipper mechanic or Marth's moveset with Roy's mechanic (literally carrying over Melee Roy in that case) or Roy's moveset but with Lucina's equal damage or Ike's moveset with a tipper or base mechanic. Could also go the Dark Pit route and just change 5 moves.

The other thing I wanted to comment on was how an interview mentioned that Sakurai and his team look over everything about a character and what not with their respective team. Like how there's a Mario team and a Zelda team etc. First off, that means the Zelda team has been a-okay with Ganondorf being a Falcon clone this entire time, even past Melee. Guess they don't care much about him if they don't want him being anymore accurate than 'give him a lunge from one cutscene and a kick from his TP fight and either leave the rest as it was in Melee or just make it up'. No Dead Man's Volley, a sword after 4 games with animations just ripped from other characters and not even a little quality touch like making aerial down B a punch instead of a kick, just to reference that one attack in OoT.

Also with that team talk, does Sakurai just have full control over certain character designs then? Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, G&W, R.O.B., the Kid Icarus characters. Then there's series that get handled by numerous companies like Starfox and Metroid. Or is there like a higher up Starfox team at Nintendo that would look over what Bamco and Rare and Platinum Games and whoever made Command do with the series? Heck, is that why we have so much Superstar stuff from Kirby in Smash? Cuz Sakurai doesn't have to consult with anyone else on it?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People really think Isabelle is cute?

I personally think she is annoying and not cute at all.
And I'm glad I will be able to do this (probably).

I personally think Isabelle is adorable.
She's nice yellow dog secretary that just wants to help others and is incredibly overworked.
Isabelle Mario Kart.jpg

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Charizard Kirby is the cutest kirby.

He looks like a kid dressing up as a monster!

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Top 10 characters earlier, might as well throw in my 2 cents. Was a bit hard to think of 10 since I most of the characters I would ever really want like that.

1. Isaac
2. Dixie
3. Incineroar
4. King K. Rool
5. Simon Belmont
6. Spring-Man(Probably as DLC tho)
7. Heihachi or Jin Kazama(Tekken has a main family rather than a single main character, Jin's my main in Tekken, but Heihachi's more likely)
8. Elma(Didn't play her game, but the character has some cool stuff)
9. Dark Samus(though I doubt it since we JUST got Ridley)
10. Paper Mario

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Mine:

Top-tier-most-wanted-will-make-the-game-perfect-with-him-and-nobody-else.
1. Dovahkiin

Need to have.
2. King K. Rool

Would be awesome.
3. Urbosa (or a four champion switching moveset, as long as she's in)
4. Midna (RIP)
5. Tails

Cool.
6. Ivy from Soul Calibur
7. Decidueye

Those are about the ones who would make Smash perfect. I'd also love to see Spring Man and Isabelle at some point as well. Izzy mainly because I want to see Ridley Final Smash her. I still think she's actually Assistant Mayor Bellweather from Zootopia, so I have no problem fighting her.

Anyone got color/costume swaps they want to see in this installment? Assuming we get more than the minimum requirement of 8 for 8-player mode.
Mostly Link's and Zelda's alternate outfits.

Link: TP tunic, BotW Soldier armor (no helm), TP Magic armor, TP sumo pants,
Zelda: TP dress, BotW royal gown, BotW prayer dress
Dorf: TP and HW standard outfits

I'd also kill for a Team Rocket Pokémon Trainer with Squirtle in his shades, Black Rose Ivysaur, and true shiny Zard.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Read some interesting stuff today besides the usual skipping of leak talk and Pokemon talk. First one I'll bring up was simply people talking about Chrom again. A lot of people seem to think he has a chance of getting in as an echo but here's something I don't see brought up often, what about as an alt ala Alph? Takes even less work. He could be an alt of any of the 3 Marths or possibly Ike. The only issue with him being an Ike alt or echo is that Ragnell is longer than the Falchion if I'm not mistaken and the Parallel Falchion is the same length as the Falchion in Smash. Both Lucina and Chrom use the Parallel Falchion so it'd be weird for it to be two different lengths in one game. There is Link and Toon Link both wielding the Master Sword I guess but timeline wise, they're so far apart from each other that it could be believed that the size changed.

As for Chrom being an echo, what differences do people even expect of him to make him an echo? Funny enough, with Roy having different animations from Marth now, you could do some crazy combination stuff. Give Chrom Roy's moveset but with Marth's tipper mechanic or Marth's moveset with Roy's mechanic (literally carrying over Melee Roy in that case) or Roy's moveset but with Lucina's equal damage or Ike's moveset with a tipper or base mechanic. Could also go the Dark Pit route and just change 5 moves.
Chrom's and Lucina's Falchion is bigger than Marth's and is supposed to be a two-handed sword like the Ragnell, it was just shrunk for Lucina in Smash so that she could function as a Marth alt/Echo without messing up hitboxes. As for what differences Chrom would have as an Echo, I imagine he would be a simple and dirty "faster but weaker" Ike Echo, Sakurai did originally imagine him for Smash 4 as an inbetween of Marth and Ike, so while he won't have his own moves or much differences he'll still play sorta like how Sakurai originally imagined him.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I mean, Shadow, amirite.

Anyway, what are the hopes for the new music this week?
I'm hoping something from a series without a playable character or AT. When Snipperclips update happened, I was happy to find out yet another series was in Smash in some form. A new song from an already represented series will feel like old news no matter matter how awesome the new arrangement is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom