• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

A Believing Heart
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Shovel Knight > Joker.

At least people actually cared enough about him to make him a big deal for Smash at some point.
Shovel Knight released in 2014, when Smash Bros 4 speculation was alive and active.

Persona 5 released in 2016, when Smash Bros. speculation was all but dead.

Smash Bros. Ultimate wasn't announced until March 2018, and wasn't revealed until June 2018, when speculation actually began.

The fact is that Shovel Knight has had more time to establish himself as a character and was a prominent Nintendo-related character at the time. Now he's another indie character featured in all the crossovers, like Gunvolt and Quote.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I want to say a Persona character has nothing to do with Nintendo and therefore won't make it into Smash...but we have Cloud. And the Shin Megami Tensei series, of which Persona is a spinoff, has appeared on Nintendo consoles before, so it's not a completely alien series regardless.

Although as badass as Joker is, I'm not sure if I'd prefer him or a Velvet Room attendant. (Elizabeth?)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So if everyone series had one new representative who would you choose and why? (obviously some couldn't have a new representative but the ones that can)
I can get into this.

Mario: Geno or Captain Toad
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
Legend of Zelda: Impa
Metroid: Sylux
Yoshi: Poochy
Kirby: Bandana Dee or Adeline
Star Fox: Miyu
Pokémon: Incineroar
F-Zero: Jody Summers or Black Shadow
Mother: Masked Man
Wario: Mona
Fire Emblem: Lyn or Hector
Kid Icarus: Pandora, or Medusa, or Hades
Sonic the Hedgehog: Tails
Xenoblade: Alma
Splatoon!: DJ Octavio
Pikmin: Alph
Animal Crossing: Isabelle
Metal Gear: Raiden
Mega Man: Zero
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Punch-Out!: Doc Louie or Super Macho Man
Final Fantasy: Cecil Harvey

Although Nintendo needs permission before they can do that and the game is releasing in less than 5 months so I think we'll see 3 Third parties at Max.
At launch, anyway. For DLC, the sky's the limit.

There's a reason why pretty much every fighting game franchise includes guest characters nowadays , they sell like hot cakes. I don't know if we'll get a new guest character for the base roster (getting snake back pretty much counts in my book), but I'm willing to bet money that there will be more 3rd party DLC characters for ultimate.
For sure, even Netherrealm banks on guest characters, as bizarre as they tend to be within the context of their games.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I want to say a Persona character has nothing to do with Nintendo and therefore won't make it into Smash...but we have Cloud. And the Shin Megami Tensei series, of which Persona is a spinoff, has appeared on Nintendo consoles before, so it's not a completely alien series regardless.

Although as badass as Joker is, I'm not sure if I'd prefer him or a Velvet Room attendant. (Elizabeth?)
Didn't Sakurai say that Cloud was influential across all platforms (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc.) despite only appearing in one? Something like that and worldwide appeal brought him in.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
How can you!?

ThAt iS An iNsULt tO US JOkEr sUPpoRteRs!
@Bradli Wartooth blast him away with your Persona influence!

But seriously, I would take Joker > Shovel Knight any day. Joker wasn’t even around during the ballot.
ALL-OUT ATTACK!!!

That's obviously going to be Joker's Final Smash but I wonder who would also be involved: Ryuji, Ann, and Morgana being the OG?

D

Deleted member

Persona did have a pair of spin-offs of its own on 3DS.

D

Deleted member

Shovel Knight released in 2014, when Smash Bros 4 speculation was alive and active.

Persona 5 released in 2016, when Smash Bros. speculation was all but dead.

Smash Bros. Ultimate wasn't announced until March 2018, and wasn't revealed until June 2018, when speculation actually began.

The fact is that Shovel Knight has had more time to establish himself as a character and was a prominent Nintendo-related character at the time. Now he's another indie character featured in all the crossovers, like Gunvolt and Quote.
All you're doing is giving excuses as to why Joker isn't a hot topic.

Excuses that don't really make sense since speculation was stagnant, but never dead. Not while we've had several rumors of Switch ports.

But the point of the matter is, there was actually a point in time where Shovel Knight had massive support.
And while it's not as big as it was in the DLC days for Smash 4, it's still there.
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/10/mega-smash-poll-switch-results/

How in the flying **** can you say he's just some "Flavor of the Month" when he's still ranking high on polls in this year?

Look, I'm not trying to rag on Joker. But the baseless and tactless slander on one of the only characters I actually "want" can't be ignored.
I'm already at a point where I am very pessimistic about him being playable. I don't need someone spouting off how they'll take literally anyone, even actual Flavor of the Months or basically nobodies in Smash speculation, over him because he was allegedly a Flavor of the Month himself as if he doesn't still have support today.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I can get into this.

Mario: Geno or Captain Toad
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
Legend of Zelda: Impa
Kirby: Bandana Dee or Adeline
Star Fox: Miyu
Pokémon: Incineroar
F-Zero: Jody Summers or Black Shadow
Mother: Masked Man
Wario: Mona
Fire Emblem: Lyn or Hector
Kid Icarus: Pandora, or Medusa, or Hades
Xenoblade: Alma
Splatoon!: DJ Octavio
Pikmin: Alph
Mega Man: Zero
Punch-Out!: Doc Louie or Super Macho Man

At launch, anyway. For DLC, the sky's the limit.

For sure, even Netherrealm banks on guest characters, as bizarre as they tend to be within the context of their games.
Ed Boon has even said guest characters sell the best out of their DLC, even over heavily requested fan favorite characters from the universe of their games, this applies for both Injustice and Mortal Kombat.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A Xenoblade character is all but guaranteed in my mind.

Elma lines up with the production of the new Smash game and has a style that Sakurai seems to like (combo female).

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ed Boon has even said guest characters sell the best out of their DLC, even over heavily requested fan favorite characters from the universe of their games, this applies for both Injustice and Mortal Kombat.
Ugh, I don’t doubt it, but I really wasn’t a fan of the guests in MKX or Injustice. I don’t like forced crossovers - Smash is designed as a crossover fighting game; Injustice is designed as DC characters.

For Smash though...DLC is a great place for 3rd parties. I kinda hope that we get loads of 3rd party DLC. I’d also love free DLC trophies from 3rd parties, and DLC other representation as well - like stages for series which are more setting-focused like Tetris

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
Mario: Captain Toad
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool
Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Pokemon: Alakazam
Star Fox: Slippy Toad
Wii Fit: N/A
Mother: Paula
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Kirby: Rick
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Warioware: Ashley
Pikmin: N/A
Mega Man: X
Punch Out!!: Doc Louis
Xenoblade: Rex
Final Fantasy: N/A
Bayonetta: N/A
Splatoon!: N/A

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Perhaps, or maybe she's hoping she gets announced because she already voiced the character and can't say anything. :p
Again, Phil B&K dilemma and Ubisoft "we'll refer to this later" dilemma.
Ambiguity up the ass until December, but my expectations are way down under.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
I am curious about what stages people want. One I think would be cool, especially if Elma is in, is a new LA stage from Chronicles X. Could be cool, have some Skells attack the stage or possibly even be pilotable for a bit. Fountain of Dreams would be excellent to see return. Tetris stage has been brought up a lot, and I'd love that. Maybe an NES compilation stage for ROB with Gyromite and other games used/displayed as backgrounds.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I made another Smash parody meme, this time it's a bit more focus on some smash fan's opinions than everyone's, It's not aimed at y'all, it's actually quite clearly not aimed at me, it's just a meme
I would edit that one scene from Spongebob Where Kevin points to the whole and the whole is filled with Franchises with little to no reps like Kid Icarus, Mother, and F-Zero... but I have to work a 5 hour shift from now

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Slightly unpopular opinion, but I believe the stage that accompanies Elma should not be NLA OR Primordia. Primordia is basically Gaur Plain 2.0 with grassy plains, mountains and lakes, and NLA...just doesn’t really do it for me imo

I’d prefer either Oblivia, Noctilum or Sylvalum. Split strongest between Noctilum (Telethia the Endbringer stage boss!!) or Sylvalum (best continent music at night, gorgeous weather effects, unique biome)

DaybreakHorizon

A Believing Heart
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Didn't Sakurai say that Cloud was influential across all platforms (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc.) despite only appearing in one? Something like that and worldwide appeal brought him in.
I found the statement I think you're referring to. I also included some interesting tidbits about third parties as well. Here it is:
Final Fantasy VII (FFVII below) has never been released on a Nintendo console, so how did Cloud end up appearing in Smash?

Final Fantasy (FF below) is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time. At the same time, there are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left.

—That’s true. No other franchises come to mind.

Exactly. And within the FF franchise, Cloud is without question the most popular choice. A number of people fixate on the fact his original game was never released on a Nintendo console, but if we were to limit our choices to characters who appeared on a Nintendo console, we’d end up with Bartz from FFV or the Onion Knight from FFIII—how would that work? Maybe they could change jobs or something… Actually, that would be kind of interesting (laughs).

—While we’re talking about third-party characters, did you ever consider including characters like Cloud and Ryu in previous Smash games?

Sakurai: The thought crossed my mind for a fleeting instant—”I wonder how I could make that work”—but I quickly dismissed the idea (laughs).

(Everyone laughs)

Sakurai: Those third-party characters are huge icons of their respective companies, so such an opportunity is hard to come by. That being said, now that Smash has grown into a well-known franchise, the creators recognize the merits of allowing us to use their characters, so negotiations have tended to go rather smoothly.

—Still, Ryu and Cloud crossing over into Smash must surely be a smash hit with long-time gamers. You really know how to make people happy.

Sakurai: At the same time, gamers from that generation probably already have all the characters they could want. Mega Man has also joined the fray, so there might not be anyone left.
After reading this, I'm not so sure about us getting a lot of third parties. I'd specifically count out indie characters, as Sakurai seems to go for global appeal, which most indies lack, the only exception to this being Minecraft and possibly Shovel Knight considering how Nintendo is covering it in Japan. Travis Touchdown also has a chance as Sakurai and Suda51 are buddies, just like Sakurai and Kojima are. Mortal Kombat is a pipe dream as well because Japan doesn't like it at all.

Sakurai's statement about long-time gamers having all the characters they could want also might not bode well for Simon Belmont, but he says there might not be anyone else, so besides Simon I wouldn't expect anymore primarily retro third parties, except maybe Ryu Hayabusa (that's a hard maybe though) or Banjo & Kazooie, unless they're popular in Japan (I don't know if they are so don't quote me).

My only question is what are the remaining "the major globally-recognized franchises" that aren't represented in Smash?

I'd say that Kingdom Hearts is very likely one, considering it's worldwide popularity and the fact that it's had an Orchestra Tour for the last two years. Other than that, I don't know. There's definitely an argument for Crash Bandicoot and the Castlevania series as well. Series like Dragon Quest, Puyo Puyo, Tekken, Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, and Rayman (as he's being covered in Nintendo in Japan as well) could maybe be counted as well.

What third parties do you guys think are "globally-recognized" enough for Smash Bros?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Slightly unpopular opinion, but I believe the stage that accompanies Elma should not be NLA OR Primordia. Primordia is basically Gaur Plain 2.0 with grassy plains, mountains and lakes, and NLA...just doesn’t really do it for me imo

I’d prefer either Oblivia, Noctilum or Sylvalum. Split strongest between Noctilum (Telethia the Endbringer stage boss!!) or Sylvalum (best continent music at night, gorgeous weather effects, unique biome)
So long as I get Black Tar, I'm content.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My only question is what are the remaining "the major globally-recognized franchises" that aren't represented in Smash?

I'd say that Kingdom Hearts is very likely one, considering it's worldwide popularity and the fact that it's had an Orchestra Tour for the last two years. Other than that, I don't know. There's definitely an argument for Crash Bandicoot and the Castlevania series as well. Series like Dragon Quest, Puyo Puyo, Tekken, Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, and maybe Rayman (I don't know how popular he is in Japan) could be counted as well.

What third parties do you guys think are "globally-recognized" enough for Smash Bros?
Unironically Minecraft.

please don't stone me to death

DaybreakHorizon

A Believing Heart
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
All you're doing is giving excuses as to why Joker isn't a hot topic.

Excuses that don't really make sense since speculation was stagnant, but never dead. Not while we've had several rumors of Switch ports.

But the point of the matter is, there was actually a point in time where Shovel Knight had massive support.
And while it's not as big as it was in the DLC days for Smash 4, it's still there.
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/10/mega-smash-poll-switch-results/

How in the flying **** can you say he's just some "Flavor of the Month" when he's still ranking high on polls in this year?

Look, I'm not trying to rag on Joker. But the baseless and tactless slander on one of the only characters I actually "want" can't be ignored.
I'm already at a point where I am very pessimistic about him being playable. I don't need someone spouting off how they'll take literally anyone, even actual Flavor of the Months or basically nobodies in Smash speculation, over him because he was allegedly a Flavor of the Month himself as if he doesn't still have support today.
I wouldn't necessarily call them excuses, but you made fair points nonetheless and I can't argue against them. Maybe I ought to reconsider my perspective on characters again. I'm actually glad to be able to have discourse like this, so thank you.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I found the statement I think you're referring to. I also included some interesting tidbits about third parties as well. Here it is:

After reading this, I'm not so sure about us getting a lot of third parties. I'd specifically count out indie characters, as Sakurai seems to go for global appeal, which most indies lack, the only exception to this being Minecraft. Travis Touchdown also has a chance as Sakurai and Suda51 are buddies, just like Sakurai and Kojima are. Mortal Kombat is a pipe dream as well because Japan doesn't like it at all.

Sakurai's statement about long-time gamers having all the characters they could want also might not bode well for Simon Belmont, but he says there might not be anyone else, so besides Simon I wouldn't expect anymore primarily retro third parties, except maybe Ryu Hayabusa (that's a hard maybe though) or Banjo & Kazooie, unless they're popular in Japan (I don't know if they are so don't quote me).

I'd say that Kingdom Hearts is very likely one, considering it's worldwide popularity and the fact that it's had an Orchestra Tour for the last two years. Other than that, I don't know. There's definitely an argument for Crash Bandicoot and the Castlevania series as well. Series like Dragon Quest, Puyo Puyo, Tekken, Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, and maybe Rayman (I don't know how popular he is in Japan) could be counted as well.

Shantae has a good chance, seeing has her series has been around for a few generations and touched Europe long before finally reaching Japan (to good success).

Also, Tomb Raider, probably. On a related Square-Enix note, no idea how recognized Hitman is.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A true Bowser's Castle stage is long overdue in Smash. That and the return of Poke Floats have pretty much been the number one stage requests since the days of Brawl speculation.
Fountain of Dreams cries in the distance

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I see you're a man of culture as well

I actually consider Poochy to be a dark horse possibility for a potential newcomer. He's reoccurring throughout the Yoshi series, has received recent prominence in Wooly World and even got his name on the title on the 3DS port of wooly world called "Poochy and yoshi's wooly world" which got additional poochy related content.

But mostly, look at him! he's adorable and marketable!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I actually consider Poochy to be a dark horse possibility for a potential newcomer. He's reoccurring throughout the Yoshi series, has received recent prominence in Wooly World and even got his name on the title on the 3DS port of wooly world called "Poochy and yoshi's wooly world" which got additional poochy related content.

But mostly, look at him! he's adorable and marketable!
It's ****ing bonkers that Poochy's suddenly become so relevant within the past 3 years. He's Captain Toad-tier of cameos, showed up in the latest Yoshi games and in Odyssey of all things. and he can jump

Not quite sure what moveset you could make of him though.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

After reading this, I'm not so sure about us getting a lot of third parties. I'd specifically count out indie characters, as Sakurai seems to go for global appeal, which most indies lack, the only exception to this being Minecraft and possibly Shovel Knight considering how Nintendo is covering it in Japan. Travis Touchdown also has a chance as Sakurai and Suda51 are buddies, just like Sakurai and Kojima are. Mortal Kombat is a pipe dream as well because Japan doesn't like it at all.

I'd say that Kingdom Hearts is very likely one, considering it's worldwide popularity and the fact that it's had an Orchestra Tour for the last two years. Other than that, I don't know. There's definitely an argument for Crash Bandicoot and the Castlevania series as well. Series like Dragon Quest, Puyo Puyo, Tekken, Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, and Rayman (as he's being covered in Nintendo in Japan as well) could maybe be counted as well.

Sora is the last globally recognized third party icon for Smash in my opinion.

Liked in both the west and east, and has been a major topic during the ballot.

I think Kingdom Hearts content is likely as DLC.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Crash Bandicoot

Bruh Mario vs Sonic vs Crash iconic 90's war revival! It's long overdue

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

"uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world"

I think thats an important distinction, Sakurai seems to be looking at Japanese gaming icons that have popularity worldwide rather than just Japan.

Franchised that meet the criteria that I can think off of the top of my head:
Resident Evil, Tekken, Castlevania, Professor Layton, Souls series, Persona, Ace Attorney, Kingdom Hearts,

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
"uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world"

I think thats an important distinction, Sakurai seems to be looking at Japanese gaming icons that have popularity worldwide rather than just Japan.

Franchised that meet the criteria that I can think off of the top of my head:
Resident Evil, Tekken, Castlevania, Professor Layton, Souls series, Persona, Ace Attorney, Kingdom Hearts,
Of the possible choices listed here, I can see the former four happening and maybe Kingdom Hearts too depending on how Disney affairs will go for the base game or DLC.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Considering we don't even know if Ridley will even be in Prime 4, we can't assume that'd be the case. He was in Samus Returns, but considering we've gotten no content from the game yet, it's entirely possible it slipped under the radar and may be this game's Prime 3.
The roster was being decided sometime around December 2015 to sometime in 2016 at the latest (the December 2015 draft was only the first one, keep in mind, so the roster likely wouldn't not have been truly finalized in 2015). The last game Ridley had a major appearance up until that time was in 2010. He wasn't in Federation Force and the lack of anything Samus Returns related is pretty telling with Ridley taking no inspiration from that game.

Elma's voice actress said she hopes Elma gets announced for Smash Bros.
Take that for what you will.
Probably doesn't mean that much either way. If Elma was playable in Smash, she'd be under an NDA so she couldn't blatantly hint she is playable.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Mortal Kombat is just as globally recognizable as Street Fighter and Tekken. Though it's very unlikely we'd see a Mortal Kombat character in Smash but we did get Bayonetta so who knows.

DaybreakHorizon

A Believing Heart
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So I was typing up a Session when I decided to check GameFAQs, and guess what I found?

More images for the ****ing Geolyte leak. Here's a link to the thread in question.
Images in the spoilers below.

Has Game & Watch been shown on Lylat Cruise? I wasn't able to find him on it.

This is either real, or the first fake leak with actual effort put into it.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d by Dandelionel Dandelionel , but I don't care because this one has a chance of being real.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom