• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I just realized.

Meteos and the Geolytes were designed by SAKURAI.

This man really did put some research into this leak since it would be something Sakurai might do for a surprise character, since it is his game.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I just looked up Meteos because I legit never heard of it.

It's kinda weird that it was ripped straight from the boxart. Yeah yeah I know different coloring/lighting but I think it should still be noted.

View attachment 154652View attachment 154653
If this ends up being proven fake I predict people are going to say it was lazy for reusing the exact poses, but if it ends up being real I imagine people will change their tune and start praising it for having excellent attention to detail or something like that.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I found the statement I think you're referring to. I also included some interesting tidbits about third parties as well. Here it is:

After reading this, I'm not so sure about us getting a lot of third parties. I'd specifically count out indie characters, as Sakurai seems to go for global appeal, which most indies lack, the only exception to this being Minecraft and possibly Shovel Knight considering how Nintendo is covering it in Japan. Travis Touchdown also has a chance as Sakurai and Suda51 are buddies, just like Sakurai and Kojima are. Mortal Kombat is a pipe dream as well because Japan doesn't like it at all.

Sakurai's statement about long-time gamers having all the characters they could want also might not bode well for Simon Belmont, but he says there might not be anyone else, so besides Simon I wouldn't expect anymore primarily retro third parties, except maybe Ryu Hayabusa (that's a hard maybe though) or Banjo & Kazooie, unless they're popular in Japan (I don't know if they are so don't quote me).

My only question is what are the remaining "the major globally-recognized franchises" that aren't represented in Smash?

I'd say that Kingdom Hearts is very likely one, considering it's worldwide popularity and the fact that it's had an Orchestra Tour for the last two years. Other than that, I don't know. There's definitely an argument for Crash Bandicoot and the Castlevania series as well. Series like Dragon Quest, Puyo Puyo, Tekken, Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, and Rayman (as he's being covered in Nintendo in Japan as well) could maybe be counted as well.

What third parties do you guys think are "globally-recognized" enough for Smash Bros?
I'm hoping he continues this trend with third parties and Bayonetta is just an outlier.

But for global appeal:

-Minecraft
-Castlevania
-DOOM
-Kingdom Hearts
-Mortal Kombat
-Tekken(which is already represented through mii costume)
-Crash Bandicoot
-Persona
-Tomb Raider
-Dragon Quest
-Rayman
-Halo
-Resident Evil

There's probably some I missed but I feel these franchises fit the bill, although some may not be that popular in Japan.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Never played Meteos before, but the Geolytes have a fun design. I think it'd be cool to have them in Smash.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Mario: Captain Toad
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool
Legend of Zelda: Beedle
Metroid: Sylux
Yoshi: Kamek
Pokemon: Graveler
Star Fox: Slippy Toad
Wii Fit: N/A
Mother: Porky
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Fire Emblem: Anna
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Kid Icarus: Eggplant Wizard
Warioware: Ashley
Sonic the Hedgehog: Tails
Pikmin: N/A
Animal Crossing: KK Slider
Mega Man: Proto man
Punch Out!!: Glass Joe
Xenoblade: N/A
Street Fighter: Zangief
Final Fantasy: Sephiroth
Bayonetta: N/A
Splatoon!: N/A
Metal Gear: N/A
Don’t know who made the original post but here’s my version.

Mario: Waluigi
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool
Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Sylux
Yoshi: Kamek
Pokemon: Mimikyu
Star Fox: Slippy Toad
Wii Fit: The Balance Board that tells me I’m extremely obese when I’m just not
Mother: Porky
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Fire Emblem: Hector
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Kid Icarus: Hades or Medusa
Warioware: Ashley
Sonic the Hedgehog: Tails
Pikmin: Louie
Animal Crossing: Mr. Resetti (Pickaxe moveset would be cool)
Mega Man: X or Zero
Punch Out!!: Doc Louis (on his bike for the entire fight)
Xenoblade: Rex & Pyra
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy: Sephiroth
Bayonetta: Rodin
Splatoon!: Octoling
Metal Gear: Raiden

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
man it has been a long time since i last checked here. can anyone bring me up to speed? anything new pop up or deconfirmed?

D

Deleted member 269706

Chrom: I suppose I'll get my chance, another day

Still hoping I live to see that day.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If this ends up being proven fake I predict people are going to say it was lazy for reusing the exact poses, but if it ends up being real I imagine people will change their tune and start praising it for having excellent attention to detail or something like that.
What detail is there? It's a 2D cyan sprite

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The way the glow fills in the close gaps (like between his arm and head, and his horn and head) definitely looks like an artifact of the photoshop glow filter, as opposed to an actual in-game bloom effect.

Gonna expand on this a bit, cause I know a bit about the technical side of video game glow. Here's a very quick and dirty example:

On the left is Photoshop's built-in glow effect. On the right is the standard Additive Gaussian procedure applied to give games that Vaseline-on-the-lens bloom effect.

The right example is still not accurate light convolution, because accurate light convolution is prohibitively render expensive. But it is the standard way video games make things look glow-y in a PBR render engine, which Smash Ultimate is using.

Only way I can buy this leak is if a.) the geolyte is a completely 2D sprite (when even G&W is a 3D model that's just rendered flat) AND the artist responsible for him was lazy and just used photoshop's glow button instead of manually painting in the glow for a nicer effect.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Only if his voice clips change to sound more like Jafar like in the game :V
xD that'd be great. he already sounds like it in his side tilt though. Anyway, that always confused me, Why is his voice so deep? And is he possessed, or just more mischievous than ever?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
What detail is there? It's a 2D cyan sprite
Exactly, there is none, I'm saying people will praise it regardless of quality or originality just because it's in Smash lol.

Gonna expand on this a bit, cause I know a bit about the technical side of video game glow. Here's a very quick and dirty example:

On the left is Photoshop's built-in glow effect. On the right is the standard Additive Gaussian procedure applied to give games that Vaseline-on-the-lens bloom effect.

The right example is still not accurate light convolution, because accurate light convolution is prohibitively render expensive. But it is the standard way video games make things look glow-y in a PBR render engine, which Smash Ultimate is using.

Only way I can buy this leak is if a.) the geolyte is a completely 2D sprite (when even G&W is a 3D model that's just rendered flat) AND the artist responsible for him was lazy and just used photoshop's glow button instead of manually painting in the glow for a nicer effect.
I think you just killed it, I can't buy Sakurai letting his own character be created in such a lazy manner.
how do you do the spoiler button?
Like this
[ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]
Just write what you want between them and remove the spaces in between the [ ] and the letters.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I think you just killed it, I can't buy Sakurai letting his own character be created in such a lazy manner.
It is obviously really lazy, but I think the bigger thing is that on the meteos box art, the glow is obviously handled completely differently. So it's lazy and inaccurate.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'll give Meteos leaker one thing. He's at least commited to making the leak even if it's stacking up to be obviously fake.

D

Deleted member

xD that'd be great. he already sounds like it in his side tilt though. Anyway, that always confused me, Why is his voice so deep? And is he possessed, or just more mischievous than ever?
Because of PHENOMINAL COSMIC POWER

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
There's only one Meteos game I'll allow representation in Smash...

1532731546343.jpeg

I had no idea how to play this game when I was younger.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Newcomers if you have to?

Do note I'm not just choosing something entirely from the franchise alone in many cases. 3rd parties especially, as I keep to the actual franchise represented.

Mario: Geno(Toad and Waluigi are already out, so the next best one. Paper Mario is a secondary option)
Zelda: Tingle may or may not be out, but otherwise Impa or Ganon(Impa seems like the only one that could get in among the 3 right now)
Punch-Out: King Hippo
Kirby: Bandanna Waddle Dee
Animal Crossing: Mr. Resetti(only one left I can see that would actually fight at best)
Yoshi: Kamek(or Shy Guy, maybe?)
Street Fighter: Ken(as an Echo. Though I'd prefer Vega or Akuma, I'm being realistic here)
Sonic: Shadow(Echo, clone, semi-clone, unique, don't matter)
Pokemon: Impossible to say, but I'd like Mimikyu in
Pikmin: N/A
Metroid: Dark Samus(Sylux does sound interesting too, but we don't know his fate yet. Dark Samus is fully established enough, and could work as an echo or semi-clone)
F-Zero: Black Shadow(seems like the only option left that has enough popularity/notability. I'd like Pico instead, but again, realistic)
Final Fantasy VII(it's the only game actually represented, after all): Sephiroth(not even a contest. Extremely popular alone, but also one of my favorite. Though a Chocobo/Moogle combo would work too, as they still have the mascot status going for them)
MegaMan: Bass as an Echo(Zero I like, but I feel he could use a bit of a break. Bass needs more love.)
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool(Dixie being the alternate choice, Echo or otherwise)
Wii Fit: N/A
Xenoblade: Elma?(I don't know the game series well enough, but this seems like a reasonable choice)
Game & Watch: N/A(until another easy to adapt character exists, anyway)
R.O.B.: N/A(same issue as G&W)
Bayonetta: Jeanne?(same issue as Xenoblade. I know too little about the series to really say much)
Metal Gear: Raiden
Fire Emblem: Chrom as an Ike Echo(originally it was Hector cause ax, but I would like the Awakening trio to fully be playable now)
Star Fox: Krystal(though if we mean this game, Slippy actually sounds like he could be fun)
Mother: Porky(Ninten just feels like he's literally the same character with not even a unique enough design. Nor a different personality, as he's pretty much Ness. A backwards cap is hardly different enough. Dark Pit feels more unique, ironically)
Mii: Maybe a second Mii that is basically a generic "Sports" version, but with pre-planned alts for Male/Female? Otherwise, N/A
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Duck Hunt: N/A
Splatoon: Octolings as an Echo
WarioWare: Ashley

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Watch it end up being so wrong like the ESRB leak and we're shunned upon forever.
I was the one debunking all the ESRB debunkers, lol. I'm quite confident this is standard, out-of-the-box photoshop glow.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I was the one debunking all the ESRB debunkers, lol. I'm quite confident this is standard, out-of-the-box photoshop glow.
Just making a joke out of it. At least it was genuine effort for how short it lasted.
1500200644537.png

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Guys, I made a "Tier-List", while I can't use an image of it, I'll make it using Icons.

S Tier: :ultbayonetta::ultmetaknight::ultcloud::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultdiddy::ultsheik::ultfalco:
A+ Tier: :ultolimar::ultpikachu::ultrosalina::ultzss::ultmarth::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultmario:
A Tier: :ultkirby::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultryu::ultpeach::ultcorrin::ultfalcon::ultlucina:
B Tier: :ultwario::ultlucario::ultkingdedede::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultsamus::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultdoc:
C Tier: :ultgnw::ultbowser::ultvillager::ultpit::ultgreninja::ultrob::ultmegaman::ultness::ultlucas:
D Tier: :ultganondorf::ultduckhunt::ultlink::ultdarkpit::ultyounglink::ultike::ultshulk::ultrobin:ultpokemontrainer:
E Tier: :ultroy::ultlittlemac::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultzelda::ultbowserjr::ultpichu::ultwiifittrainer:

This tier list is built by taking each character's tier placement (i.e. #1, #2, etc) as a percentage relative to the cast of each game, then taking their best overall percentage placement, and ordering them using this value.
I only used Smash 64, Melee, Brawl and 4 to make the list (so no PM or Ultimate).
What would they have to do to make Dark Pit a whole tier lower than Pit!? XD
Yes, when you go by the method I was using, S4 Bayonetta is better than Brawl MK and Melee Fox.
S = Smash 64; M = Melee; B = Brawl; 4 = Smash 4
:ultbayonetta:4; :ultmetaknight:B; :ultcloud:4; :ultfox:M; :ulticeclimbers:B; :ultdiddy:4; :ultsheik:4; :ultfalco:M;
:ultolimar:B; :ultpikachu:S; :ultrosalina:4; :ultzss:4; :ultmarth:M; :ultsonic:4; :ultsnake:B; :ultmario:4;
:ultkirby:S; :ultmewtwo:4; :ultjigglypuff:M; :ultryu:4; :ultpeach:M; :ultcorrin:4; :ultfalcon:S; :ultlucina:4;
:ultwario:B; :ultlucario:B; :ultkingdedede:B; :ulttoonlink:B; :ultwolf:B; :ultsamus:M; :ultdk:4; :ultyoshi:S; :ultdoc:M;
:ultgnw:B; :ultbowser:4; :ultvillager:4; :ultpit:B; :ultgreninja:4; :ultrob:B; :ultmegaman:4; :ultness:4; :ultlucas:4;
:ultganondorf:M; :ultduckhunt:4; :ultlink:4; :ultdarkpit:4; :ultyounglink:M; :ultike:B; :ultshulk:4; :ultrobin4; :ultpokemontrainer:B;
:ultroy:M; :ultlittlemac:4; :ultpalutena:4; :ultpacman:4; :ultzelda:M; :ultbowserjr:4; :ultpichu:M; :ultwiifittrainer:4
Even with his great placement in Smash 64, it's still not enough to put Yoshi in the top half of the cast. *sigh*

I'm hoping for top tier this time around...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I actually consider Poochy to be a dark horse possibility for a potential newcomer. He's reoccurring throughout the Yoshi series, has received recent prominence in Wooly World and even got his name on the title on the 3DS port of wooly world called "Poochy and yoshi's wooly world" which got additional poochy related content.

But mostly, look at him! he's adorable and marketable!
I could see Poochy as an Assist Trophy at best. Either that, or a trophy/stage cameo.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
It's ****ing bonkers that Poochy's suddenly become so relevant within the past 3 years. He's Captain Toad-tier of cameos, showed up in the latest Yoshi games and in Odyssey of all things. and he can jump

Not quite sure what moveset you could make of him though.
I gave it my best shot.

Poochy Moveset

Attributes: Since Yoshi uses poochy as a mount he would have to be heavier than yoshi, maybe around Samus' weight. also I imagine he would have better ground mobility than the air, since he's seen on the ground running rather than jumping around like yoshi.

B- Lick:
This move is taken directly from one of Yoshi's custom moves in Smash 4, Poochy lunges forward and gives the opponent a big ol' lick. Altered slightly so the tongue goes in an upward motion to allow the move's hitbox to guard against aerial attacks.

Side B- Charge:
Poochy charges forward at high speeds, going into a charge that deals moderate knockback and damage when colliding with an enemy. While charging poochy receives both knockback and damage resistance (a nod toward Poochy resilience, seriously the dog can withstand acid and lava!). Lastly, after a short animation, Poochy can change directions during the charge. Performing this move in the air puts Poochy in special fall.

Up B- Bubble:
After a bit of start up, Poochy becomes encased inside a bubble (like the ones Baby mario and the rest of the mario crew in 3D world use) and starts floating in a direction of your choice. You can speed up or slow down the direction the bubble moves in, and even go a different direction if you counteract the initial momentum of the move. After the duration of the move or if the move is ended early by pressing B, the bubble will pop dealing damage and knockback to enemies in a small radius around poochy.

Down B- Poochy-Pups:
These little woolly pups function somewhere in between :ultolimar:'s Pikmin and :ultrosalina:'s Lumas. You can call them out one by one with your Down special maxing out at 3 at a time. These little guys will follow behind Poochy and try their best to mimic big poochy's actions, preforming weak versions of his attacks. If Poochy preforms a smash attack or Special move, they will perform their weak version of the attack one after the other. If the pups are knocked away, they won't mimic your attacks until they can reach you again. Unfortunately, Poochy pups only have a set amount of HP before they unravel and you have to wait for them to recharge. You can see how many Pups you have available to call in during play by little pup icons on top of your damage indicator. Using bubble will cause the pups to get encased in a bubble and automatically float towards poochy.

Last edited:

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
hmm crash is developed by Naughty dog, an american company but crash is very popular in Japan so there might be some wiggle room there.

I wan't really factoring in the souls series because of the switch port though, I was just listing Japanese created game franchises that are world renowned and not already in smash.
Crash though isn't owned by Naughty Dog though anymore....

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Even with his great placement in Smash 64, it's still not enough to put Yoshi in the top half of the cast. *sigh*

I'm hoping for top tier this time around...
Unless they make some serious changes to his moveset, I think Yoshi's stuck in D-tier hell.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
man it has been a long time since i last checked here. can anyone bring me up to speed? anything new pop up or deconfirmed?
Fake Leaks, Smash Blog Updates, New Music, Code Leaks, Vicious Debates over characters and echo fighters, Sakurai Bias, Leaks, Sleep Deprivation, Puzzle Leaks, Hopes for News too come Soon, and more leaks, ya know the usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom