• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amageish

Smash Master
I want to say a Persona character has nothing to do with Nintendo and therefore won't make it into Smash...but we have Cloud. And the Shin Megami Tensei series, of which Persona is a spinoff, has appeared on Nintendo consoles before, so it's not a completely alien series regardless.

Although as badass as Joker is, I'm not sure if I'd prefer him or a Velvet Room attendant. (Elizabeth?)
Yeah, were Persona to be represented, it would have to be through the logic of "Persona = Shin Megami Tensei" and then follow the Cloud logic where global recognition takes precedence. That said, the logic of "Persona = Shin Megami Tensei" is really the only way we can argue Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is actually a SMT x FE crossover (re: literally calling the essence that gives someone the power to summon mirages "Performa"), so it seems the sister-series are still being equated to some degree.

As for Joker in particular, the only way I can see him getting in is if ATLUS was approached for a representative early into development (which doesn't sound impossible given how TMS#FE was releasing in Japan right as the roster was supposedly being decided upon) and they either (i) asked for Joker right off the bat as a promotional move or (ii) planned on using someone else who has similar skills to Joker (i.e., the ability to summon persona/demons, fight both close-up and with projectiles, and do so in a stealthy manner) but swapped them out for Joker when Persona 5 became so popular. Which isn't impossible, but I imagine Flynn/Demifiend/Yu/Aigis/Elizabeth would have a higher chance.

Though with that all said, I'm not going to try to argue it's likely we'll get anything ATLUS. Their games are still niche...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I just looked up Meteos because I legit never heard of it.

It's kinda weird that it was ripped straight from the boxart. Yeah yeah I know different coloring/lighting but I think it should still be noted.

View attachment 154652View attachment 154653

View attachment 154654View attachment 154655
Oh man, the memories with Meteos. I remember having the game long eons back before 2010s, and I found it really fun and addicting pasttime. Not to mention the menu format in it went to pop in every next game Sakurai would develop ever since, so yeah.

Anyway, I wouldn't honestly mind Geolyte as the surprise newcomer with that.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
I do find it interesting that all of the "original 8" characters seem to have a game release on Switch coming or have had one recently.

Mario (Mario Odessey)
Link (Breath of the Wild)
Donkey Kong (Tropical Freeze on Switch and Mario and Rabbids)
Pikachu (Let's Go Pikachu)
Yoshi (Yoshi for Switch)
Kirby (Star Allies)
Samus (Prime 4)
Fox (The heavily rumored Star Fox Grand Prix)

Extend this to the other two series represented in Smash 64, and uh....well....they aren't so lucky.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I do find it interesting that all of the "original 8" characters seem to have a game release on Switch coming or have had one recently.

Mario (Mario Odessey)
Yoshi (Yoshi for Switch)
Kirby (Star Allies)
Samus (Prime 4)

Extend this to the other two series represented in Smash 64, and uh....well....they aren't so lucky.
Do ports count? And I'm not too certain on the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor...

D

Deleted member

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ng_super_smash_bros_ultimate_with_bill_trinen

Here are some observations on SSBU, and some other things. . .

I crave any info on this game at this point.
Bill Trinen on Mother 3: “It’s a good game.

Mario (Mario Odessey)
Yoshi (Yoshi for Switch)
Kirby (Star Allies)
Samus (Prime 4)

To be fair, there will never be another Mother game ever. F-Zero though...

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Unfortunately, Star Fox seems to be one of the unlucky ones. And I wouldn't consider rumors as something substantial. Best Star Fox has going for it on Switch thus far is Fox's appearance in Star Link.

Hurts to say that. Really hoping we do get an actual Star Fox game in the future, and I hope even more that it actually succeeds.

On the topic of Star Fox, three months ago I made a Star Fox survey asking what the community's ideal for a new game would be. Unfortunately, I got pretty busy soon afterward, and the survey slipped my mind. I've got the results to the survey if anyone's interested. You can check them out here.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Bill Trinen on Mother 3: “It’s a good game.

To be fair, there will never be another Mother game ever. F-Zero though...
I am literally praying that after two console generations where it was absent, F-Zero will finally have a time to shine. The Switch is perfect for it imo

Nintendo seems to be aware of the fan demand, too

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, Star Fox seems to be one of the unlucky ones. And I wouldn't consider rumors as something substantial. Best Star Fox has going for it on Switch thus far is Fox's appearance in Star Link.

Hurts to say that. Really hoping we do get an actual Star Fox game in the future, and I hope even more that it actually succeeds.

On the topic of Star Fox, three months ago I made a Star Fox survey asking what the community's ideal for a new game would be. Unfortunately, I got pretty busy soon afterward, and the survey slipped my mind. I've got the results to the survey if anyone's interested. You can check them out here.
Interesting results. I would also like more in-depth story to future Star Fox games, because they could definitely tap into world building/lore more.

I'm also in the camp of disliking Zero. And I'm sure this has been brought up before, but a new Star Fox in the hands of Sakurai (after what he did with the Kid Icarus reboot) could potentially be great. You start with a rail shooter in the arwing, Fox jumps down to land, Adventures style, some 3rd person shooting/combat. Could be fun

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm really hoping that Nintendo uses the Switch to bring back old and struggling series into the spotlight.

I'd kill for Star Fox and F-Zero, as well as some older series like Custom Robo.

Interesting results. I would also like more in-depth story to future Star Fox games, because they could definitely tap into world building/lore more.

I'm also in the camp of disliking Zero. And I'm sure this has been brought up before, but a new Star Fox in the hands of Sakurai (after what he did with the Kid Icarus reboot) could potentially be great. You start with a rail shooter in the arwing, Fox jumps down to land, Adventures style, some 3rd person shooting/combat. Could be fun
I enjoyed Zero, but I'm upset with it if it makes any sense. Star Fox finally comes back, and you do another reimagining of Star Fox 64 on a failed console at the end of its life? Less than a year before the Switch? With uncanny controls to make the most out of the gamepad? I can see why it didn't sell well, but damn, does it hurt.

I've heard many express similar views, where missions take place both in a vehicle and on land. I think it'd be interesting if Sakurai took a crack at it, but I'd be concerned too. What Star Fox needs most is stability and consistency. Both with gameplay and with who's making it. Sakurai would be just another one-and-done developer.

Star Fox needs to find a developer who will make Star Fox theirs, and make Star Fox great.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Seeing Miyu and Fay being part of the third-highest voted team setup pleases me.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Why are they still taunting us? Is this punishment for not liking Federation Force & Amiibo Festival?
Mother 3 has to come eventually, right? I mean, they brought Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings. Why not bring Mother 3, with some Earthbound related subtitle?

Maybe I'm in denial...

Iridium

Smash Hero

For some reason, ESAM made a tier list of each of the characters in the demo (he forgot :ultdk: though, LOL). We all know this is too early for sure, but #ESAMOpinions thrives somehow.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Mother 3 has to come eventually, right? I mean, they brought Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings. Why not bring Mother 3, with some Earthbound related subtitle?

Maybe I'm in denial...
Why are they still taunting us? Is this punishment for not liking Federation Force & Amiibo Festival?

I'm personally believing we'll see it in some form in the future. The fan demand's insane enough not to ignore, but it just that the game itself poses kind of a challenge to release (being late Japan-only GBA-game of all things).

A Mother 3-remake would be more than enough to restart the efforts for localization from the ground-up for that.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Seeing Miyu and Fay being part of the third-highest voted team setup pleases me.
Yeah, that was actually quite the surprise. Those two seem decently popular.

Also Impa4Smash Impa4Smash , edited my last post with a reply to yours. I saw that you 'liked' it, but unsure if that came in before the edit went through. Just thought I'd point it out.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Only if his voice clips change to sound more like Jafar like in the game :V
More like Ja-FART, am I right?

You know, because his crown is actually a chamber pot. :p

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah, that was actually quite the surprise. Those two seem decently popular.

Also Impa4Smash Impa4Smash , edited my last post with a reply to yours. I saw that you 'liked' it, but unsure if that came in before the edit went through. Just thought I'd point it out.
I do agree that Star Fox is missing a voice. Like Anouma for Zelda or Koizumi for Mario (or countless other examples).

I think after Zero, Star Fox really just needs something fresh, because even though 64 is amazing they can't just keep rehashing. The series needs to move forward like Odyssey and BotW moved their franchises forward.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm looking through footage of Dedede and it looks like the hitbox for Gordo Throw is a lot bigger now. The scene with him inhaling a Gordo and spitting it back out also kinda gives me hope that we can save a stationary Gordo when an opponent hits us too early, and we can hit Gordos again after they bounce off an opponent.

Also Dedede's back aerial having a lot less endlag means it's safe on shield. Which means... he actually has a neutral!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do agree that Star Fox is missing a voice. Like Anouma for Zelda or Koizumi for Mario (or countless other examples).

I think after Zero, Star Fox really just needs something fresh, because even though 64 is amazing they can't just keep rehashing. The series needs to move forward like Odyssey and BotW moved their franchises forward.
The potential racing game sounds beyond fresh, assuming the rumor will come true.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Did it say that most people want something like Assualt? That’s interesting.

Also some of the words don’t show up, who was the most voted antagonist?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

I want the best aspects of Assault improved on with more depth. It was the way the series needed to be to modernize itself.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

The best voice Star Fox has is Miyamoto, which can be viewed both positively and negatively. It's good, because I fear that if Miyamoto retires before Star Fox gets its feet off the ground, then there will be no-one to push it. It's also bad, because he keeps wanting to try some new things with it that don't always pan out.

I'd kill for Miyamoto to hand the reigns to Bandai Namco again and tell them to make a game like Star Fox: Assault. I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again, Star Fox: Assault was the best route for the series to go in. Plot driven, continued the Star Fox story, expanded the world, and brought in a new enemy to face. Gameplay was the best way to advance the series, too, even if it had some flaws with its execution.

Star Fox: Assault has always been popular in the community. Survey indicated that it's the second favorite, and many believe that it was the best direction for the series to take. Both hold well with communities outside the poll, too.

The favorite Star Fox antagonist was Star Wolf and the Ruffians.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The best voice Star Fox has is Miyamoto, which can be viewed both positively and negatively. It's good, because I fear that if Miyamoto retires before Star Fox gets its feet off the ground, then there will be no-one to push it. It's also bad, because he keeps wanting to try some new things with it that don't always pan out.

I'd kill for Miyamoto to hand the reigns to Bandai Namco again and tell them to make a game like Star Fox: Assault. I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again, Star Fox: Assault was the best route for the series to go in. Plot driven, continued the Star Fox story, expanded the world, and brought in a new enemy to face. Gameplay was the best way to advance the series, too, even if it had some flaws with its execution.

Star Fox: Assault has always been popular in the community. Survey indicated that it's the second favorite, and many believe that it was the best direction for the series to take. Both hold well with communities outside the poll, too.

Yeah I agree.

I think Assualt has the best that can easily be expanded upon. Although I keep seeing videos that say that Fans want a on rail shooter even though a majority people want something similar to Assault.

Also I expected Wolf to be the most popular. Lol.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I'd love to see. I'm going to use the Labo Driver appearance myself, and save the Robot for a final smash.
Alright, here goes. While the specials are based off of the robot, all the other attacks are based off of the other Labo sets.

Neutral Special: Laser Eyes- A projectile attack that can be charged as well as angled. What's unique about the lasers is they will bounce off of surfaces they touch. The lasers would have a reticle showing where they end up as well, allowing you to aim them.

Side Special: Buildings Chuck- Like it sounds, Labo Bot would pick up a small building and chuck it at his opponents. It would be an incredibly slow projectile, but very powerful. Occasionally, a tree or even a bus will be in place of the building.

Up Special: UFO Probe- A UFO appears and probes the bot upwards. Although slow, the bot can move freely while probed. He is invulnerable while in the ufo's ray and others will take damage if they touch it. Unlike most recoveries, if the UFO is hit, it will actually speed up and help the bot recover faster. However, if it takes too much damage, it will explode and the bot will be helpless.

Down Special: Form Shift- Here is where the bot really shines. With this attack, the bot shifts into a compact, more mobile form, allowing him to move MUCH faster at the expense of less power. In addition, all the normals/aerials/smashes will be different as well. This allows the Labo bot to be a very customizable character during battle, making him feel like a real transformer.

Normals:

Standing Form:

Jab: A one-two punch that produces some comic-like sound effects based off of the bot set.

F-Tilt: The fishing hook from the fishing set is swung in a downward motion, with the hook being the most powerful.

U-Tilt: An Upward punch with the same effects.

D-Tilt: The creature from the house set rolls slightly forward into the opponent.

Smashes: Functioning slightly like Bayo's smashes, each Smash has the different knobs from the house set jutting in whatever direction you're attacking. The main difference being there is a lot of start up and the knobs have a hitbox while charging.

Dash Attack: The Laboman dashes ahead of the bot causing damage.

Aerials:

N-Air: A UFO circles around the bot dealing damage.

F-Air: The UFO shoots a beam forward.

B-Air: The UFO shoots a beam backward.

U-Air: The UFO shoots a beam upward.

D-Air: The UFO shoots a beam downward, slightly propelling the bot upward.

Compact Form:

Normals:

Jab: A short range beam is shot out from the bot's eyes dealing minimal damage.

F-Tilt: The bot kicks up dust, causing damage.

U-Tilt: A large music note pops out of the bot.

D-Tilt: The bot will sink to the ground, causing the tires to jut out and deal damage,

Smashes: The different faces from the piano set will appear and slam in the different directions, having different sound effects for each.

Aerials:

Same as Normal Stance, just quicker and weaker.

Grab/Pummel: A UFO will probe the opponent, acting similarly to Pacman's grab. For Pummel, the bot will hit the opponent several times with his fist. For each throw, the UFO will probe the opponent again and then launch them in the desired direction.

Final Smash: Mega Bot: The bot will grow to supersize and then jump in the foreground. A cardboard visor will cover some of the screen like in the set, and you get to choose where to shoot lasers at you right opponents.

And there you go, sorry it took so long. I know it's not near as good as someone like Opossum's movesets, but I tried. Actually, I have several moveset ideas, so, to bide time, how would everyone feel with me posting a character moveset daily for a while?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
On the other hand, F-Zero just needs online and its already holding well in modern gaming. Maybe tone down the overall difficulty but still give it enough depth to make the players want to improve themselves.

Also tracks with stunning visuals obviously. Flying, jumping, drifting across HD F-Zero tracks is my medicine that I don't have.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For some reason, ESAM made a tier list of each of the characters in the demo (he forgot :ultdk: though, LOL). We all know this is too early for sure, but #ESAMOpinions thrives somehow.
This tier list is wrong though.
Sonic and Mewtwo should be top tier, and Sheik and Pikachu are not top three at all. Ridley and Pokemon Trainer should be higher as well.
More like Ja-FART, am I right?

You know, because his crown is actually a chamber pot. :p
Well joke made me emFARTk the boat of majestic powers.
In other words, I loved the joke. FARt too good.

D

Deleted member

Sonic and Mewtwo should be top tier, and Sheik and Pikachu are not top three at all. Ridley and Pokemon Trainer should be higher as well.
All tier lists for Ultimate at this point in time are wrong.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Well joke made me emFARTk the boat of majestic powers.
In other words, I loved the joke. FARt too good.
Of course ESAM says Pikachu is top 3. HE'S ESAM!!!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

I really love Miyamoto's passion for Star Fox - you can definitely tell the guy loves the series. I just wish he'd stop obsessing over gimmicks. Enough with the motion controls. You make great games Miyamoto, I'll play them even more if you just focus on the gameplay, and make it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom