• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I will say Ridley is extremely relevant, especially with Prime 4 coming allegedly next year.
But what if, hypothetically, Ridley wasn't in Prime 4?

I know, I know, it's near impossible, but still. XD
So does this mean that the more we meme the more a character means to them?
I mean, there's a chance.

You just have to hope that meme reaches Sakurai in a positive light.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I think some characters are iconic enough that relevancy doesn’t really matter. Which is why the likes of Geno and K Rool still pop up, and why retro characters like Mach Rider or Lip could be included.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I do wonder though what are the other places we should be looking at.

The ballot has a lot of information of what could be likely to enter the battle.
I'll try and steer some direction; a bit busy at the moment, but, some ideas to help at what to look at,

-The Brawl and Melee "Polls" back when those were around; while they didn't have as much information, they've proven pretty true and all of those characters Sakurai knows about. I think that's a pretty big deal.
-Popularity for each franchise. For ex, Ashley (I have a feeling if she didn't get in as a Mii costume people wouldn't be crediting this as much), Masked Man is pretty popular in his own, there's tons of (more-so one-off) Kirby villains that are popular and shouldn't be discounted, etc
-Don't speculate only characters; if we start picking apart with at least Assist Trophies, we'll find closer to what we're expecting. I have reasons to suspect we're at least getting a Donkey Kong assist trophy this time around.
-I explained something about movesets before and I've done it a lot, but that's mostly pertaining to Echo's
-The only franchises that we should be heavily locked into any "Rules" are Pokemon, Xenoblade, and Fire Emblem since those are the flavor of the week/relevancy franchises and even then, TAKE A BIT MORE RISKS! Nobody, and I mean practically nobody, saw Lucina, Pokemon Trainer, or Greninja coming. Heck, nobody saw Pokemon Trainer coming again.
-Third-Parties vs Supporting Characters vs Series that Nintendo owns without a character yet - They're three separate leagues and they each have their own problems but their own advantages. At this point, Third-Parties are what are most likely to get people who don't know anything about Smash playing, but there's also legal fees involving those.
-Consider this: We're down to the wire on characters. At this point, replace "Importance to the franchise" with "Who's going to please the most people"

Of course, the Smash Ballot is a big deal as well, but some of this can even be applied to the ballot. It's hard to say, compare a random Fire Emblem or F-Zero character's popularity compared to Waluigi, if that makes sense.

Like... all of the roster has been revealed. I don't know why everyone is going so safe. I guess it's fine if you want to try to play the "How close are we to the roster" game as a bingo.

(I do feel like "old man yells at cloud" sometimes but honestly, I do prefer the pessimism over Brawl's incredible optimism - It means even if all they show us is like, one new echo, we're all gonna be blown away)

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Oh also DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon Look like a leak is gonna die soon, lol.
A lot of leaks are about to die soon. I'm going to kill all July leaks on August 1st, so look forward to that I guess.

I think that somebody should try to analyze data and try to speculate what the tier list may be... I think that may be a fun project for people to do
FUJJ3QR.png

I'll take a crack at it soontm. I think it'd be fun.

I'll try and steer some direction; a bit busy at the moment, but, some ideas to help at what to look at,

-The Brawl and Melee "Polls" back when those were around; while they didn't have as much information, they've proven pretty true and all of those characters Sakurai knows about. I think that's a pretty big deal.
-Popularity for each franchise. For ex, Ashley (I have a feeling if she didn't get in as a Mii costume people wouldn't be crediting this as much), Masked Man is pretty popular in his own, there's tons of (more-so one-off) Kirby villains that are popular and shouldn't be discounted, etc
-Don't speculate only characters; if we start picking apart with at least Assist Trophies, we'll find closer to what we're expecting. I have reasons to suspect we're at least getting a Donkey Kong assist trophy this time around.
-I explained something about movesets before and I've done it a lot, but that's mostly pertaining to Echo's
-The only franchises that we should be heavily locked into any "Rules" are Pokemon, Xenoblade, and Fire Emblem since those are the flavor of the week/relevancy franchises and even then, TAKE A BIT MORE RISKS! Nobody, and I mean practically nobody, saw Lucina, Pokemon Trainer, or Greninja coming. Heck, nobody saw Pokemon Trainer coming again.
-Third-Parties vs Supporting Characters vs Series that Nintendo owns without a character yet - They're three separate leagues and they each have their own problems but their own advantages. At this point, Third-Parties are what are most likely to get people who don't know anything about Smash playing, but there's also legal fees involving those.
-Consider this: We're down to the wire on characters. At this point, replace "Importance to the franchise" with "Who's going to please the most people"

Of course, the Smash Ballot is a big deal as well, but some of this can even be applied to the ballot. It's hard to say, compare a random Fire Emblem or F-Zero character's popularity compared to Waluigi, if that makes sense.

Like... all of the roster has been revealed. I don't know why everyone is going so safe. I guess it's fine if you want to try to play the "How close are we to the roster" game as a bingo.

(I do feel like "old man yells at cloud" sometimes but honestly, I do prefer the pessimism over Brawl's incredible optimism - It means even if all they show us is like, one new echo, we're all gonna be blown away)
So you're saying that I shouldn't expect all of my most wanted characters in this game?

Blasphemy.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I honestly don't think relevance matters for any Smash characters. IMO, no character is too new or too irrelevant. It all comes down to two things.
Well, if I remember correctly, Robin is a character who was included partially based on his relevancy.

Sakurai stated that if Awakening had released 6 Months earlier/later, Robin might not have been included.

Furthermore, there's this quote:
“Industry trends around the time when development begins is a pretty big factor. I started development on Smash for 3DS/ Wii U right after I’d wrapped up Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Fire Emblem Awakening was released one month after Uprising. So what’s popular around the time when I begin designing the game is important.” – Masahiro Sakurai
Pink Gold Peach, Goku, Kirb, Plugg and Waluigi confirmed?
I'd be down for Plugg.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
IIRC, Nintendo's Nate Bihldorff said that they do monitor what fans are saying on Nintendo forums, so more then likely they're also aware of what characters we're talking about and which ones strike the biggest cord with the crowd. That's part of the reason why Ridley was known to be popular as the staff at Treehouse let Sakurai know why he was such a big deal for the western fanbase. Other places like the aforementioned Twitter is also a good example since they can monitor how much a character is trending among the fanbase.

Another possible area we could be looking through would be promotion as if Nintendo is pushing a character heavily, then evidently they see the character as popular enough to warrant that status. Isabelle is a good example of that as she blew up a lot after New Leaf and has been pushed extensively across Nintendo's multiple mediums. Ashley is another example as she's been pushed more notably in recent years, so somewhere along the lines the character proved herself to be worthwhile for Nintendo to use more prominently.

Considering we don't even know if Ridley will even be in Prime 4, we can't assume that'd be the case. He was in Samus Returns, but considering we've gotten no content from the game yet, it's entirely possible it slipped under the radar and may be this game's Prime 3.
At the end of the day, even if he isn't, he builds hype for Metroid. And beyond that, is Samus's archnemesis. It'd be like if there was a non-Bowser main villain in a Mario game, you wouldn't say Bowser was "irrelevant" if he were to be included in Smash for the first time after that. And like you said, he was in Samus Returns, the most recent Metroid game. Prime relevancy (no pun intended).

D

Deleted member

Well, if I remember correctly, Robin is a character who was included partially based on his relevancy.

Sakurai stated that if Awakening had released 6 Months earlier/later, Robin might not have been included.

Furthermore, there's this quote:
“Industry trends around the time when development begins is a pretty big factor. I started development on Smash for 3DS/ Wii U right after I’d wrapped up Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Fire Emblem Awakening was released one month after Uprising. So what’s popular around the time when I begin designing the game is important.” – Masahiro Sakurai.
Huh, interesting. I think I may have forgotten those quotes, so thanks for sharing! Definitely makes me rethink some of my own speculation, ha ha.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, there's a chance.

You just have to hope that meme reaches Sakurai in a positive light.
If that's how things can work, Lanky Kong could be in for sure. Just hope that Sakurai thinks more that he has a funny face, rather than no style or grace.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
you know I remember when Smash 4 came out there was non stop complaining about Dr Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit being in the game but all it took was them giving clone fighters a funny name and now people couldn't be more excited to have as many clones as possible

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
If that's how things can work, Lanky Kong could be in for sure. Just hope that Sakurai thinks more that he has a funny face, rather than no style or grace.
Sakurai can also remember that he can handstand when he needs to. And coincidentally can swell up just like a balloon

you know I remember when Smash 4 came out there was non stop complaining about Dr Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit being in the game but all it took was them giving clone fighters a funny name and now people couldn't be more excited to have as many clones as possible
Eh, I still wish Lucina and Dark Pit we're a bit different. As is, I'd still MUCH rather have actual newcomers over Echoes. That being said, as long as Echoes aren't pushing out or causing newcomers to be excluded, I'm all for getting as many characters as possible and Echoes do allow for more. I'd love Dark Samus, Funky/Dixie Kong, etc. If Echoes mean that can happen, then have at it

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
So if everyone series had one new representative who would you choose and why? (obviously some couldn't have a new representative but the ones that can)
I'll give this a go. Seems like fun. I'll abstain from series that I have no idea/have never played.

Mario: Geno
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool
Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: ???
Yoshi: Boshi or Kamek
Pokemon: Team Rocket Grunt
Star Fox: ???
Wii Fit: ???
Mother: ???
F-Zero: ???
Fire Emblem: ???
Kirby: Bandanna Dee
Kid Icarus: ???
Warioware: Ashley
Sonic the Hedgehog: Shadow or Tails
Pikmin: ???
Animal Crossing: ???
Mega Man: X
Punch Out!!: ???
Xenoblade: ???
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy: Sora(If he counts)/Black Mage
Bayonetta: ???
Splatoon!: ???
Metal Gear: ???

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I think people are more accepting of them since every veteran is back, disgruntled fans of veterans usually took out their anger on the clones. If Sakurai introduced the echo label without bringing back all veterans, i really doubt the reception would have been as positive as it is.

D

Deleted member

I used to be pretty against clones, but I'm pretty chill about them nowadays. Especially because I realize it's the only way I'm gonna get characters like Octolings, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Speaking of Ashley, it looks like Erica Lindbeck does in fact play her in Warioware Gold:

At the end of the day, even if he isn't, he builds hype for Metroid. And beyond that, is Samus's archnemesis. It'd be like if there was a non-Bowser main villain in a Mario game, you wouldn't say Bowser was "irrelevant" if he were to be included in Smash for the first time after that. And like you said, he was in Samus Returns, the most recent Metroid game. Prime relevancy (no pun intended).
I'm not disagreeing that he's important to Metroid, I'm pretty sure that served as a major factor for him being playable, I'm just saying that those two games may not have had any influence on his inclusion as Prime 4 doesn't give us anything on his status and Samus Returns is currently MIA in terms of Ultimate content.

Last edited:

UltraDude20

Smash Rookie
NNID
UltraDude20
Well we did meme Waluigi and I guess that meant nothing to them so......

I'm actually hoping to see another fighter from a 3rd party series (namely Sonic the Hedgehog but adding one from another series would also be great) actually when I saw Rodin I thought he was a new character and I was so happy then Sakurai said he was an assist (I guess it would have been unlikely for him to just crash into Bayo's spotlight)

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well we did meme Waluigi and I guess that meant nothing to them so......
Contráir my friend.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nt_waluigi_in_smash_bros_ultimate_says_reggie
Reggie Fils-Aime said:
We look at all of the feedback and share with the devs and certainly Mr. Sakurai will be aware of the groundswell of support that appeared for a Waluigi. And in the end it's his decision to make. Just like when we were getting ready to launch the Wii U and 3DS version there was this groundswell asking for Reggie to be a playable character in the game.
Also don't double post. That's a no-no.

Last edited:

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
I made another Smash parody meme, this time it's a bit more focus on some smash fan's opinions than everyone's, It's not aimed at y'all, it's actually quite clearly not aimed at me, it's just a meme

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's because the NES era shaped not just specific genres, but the industry itself, it's not as much because of popularity or nostalgia as is the case with Gen 1's influence on Pokémon, it's also about representing video game history. Sakurai is a video game freak beyond the usual, so obviously he'll have a huge appreciation for that era, and unlike a lot of us he doesn't have nostalgia for the video game generations that came in between the retro and modern periods, so if they didn't make an impact on the industry or came up with huge innovations then they likely didn't make an impact on him either. Then there's also the fact that Nintendo's most iconic franchises and characters came into existence during this period, and considering how much they depend on those established franchises it's not so odd that there aren't as many iconic characters that have been created since.

I fully understand why there's such a big focus on that era, and I also think Sakurai has been right to focus on it so much, but it's also beginning to thin out a little bit as most of the most iconic characters from that era are in now (except Toad, sorry little guy). I don't think it's going to lead to them including characters from other eras though, but they're more likely to just double down on relevant characters instead.
I know, hence why I said that that period was more or less their beginnings as a game company. However, that doesn't hold back the fact that I'd still like to see them acknowledge some other games from later console era's as well. Which unfortunately, rarely get as much unless they where a breakout hit like Pokemon Red & Blue, Ocarina of Time, or any of the Mario platformers etc.

Though I guess in Smash defence, at least the Assist Trophy item acknowledges some of those more niche characters and franchises.

Last edited:

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually hoping to see another fighter from a 3rd party series (namely Sonic the Hedgehog but adding one from another series would also be great) actually when I saw Rodin I thought he was a new character and I was so happy then Sakurai said he was an assist (I guess it would have been unlikely for him to just crash into Bayo's spotlight)
I'm hoping for Travis Touchdown, Shantae, Banjo, or Ray-Man in that order

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I made another Smash parody meme, this time it's a bit more focus on some smash fan's opinions than everyone's, It's not aimed at y'all, it's actually quite clearly not aimed at me, it's just a meme
The fact that Gengar got mentioned in this meme made it perfect lmao

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
For third parties, I'll take anyone bar Shovel Knight. Dude was just a flavor of the month character during the Smash 4 DLC days. I would like to see Sora, Joker, and Simon Belmont the most though.

I think we'll see a lot of third parties this time around, because as Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa said, they would please the most people and cause the most hype.

I meant a 3rd party series that already is in the game but actually I'd like to see Travis, Rayman, Shantae and Crash.
I only want to see new third party franchises.

Sonic might warrant another newcomer, but I'd rather see new third parties who offer unique movesets. Sonic characters would be derivative of Sonic and other characters. Also, Sonic isn't exactly in the best place as a series right now, nor was it in 2015, before Mania released. Forces was a near killing blow.
  • Tails would at best incorporate tech into his moveset, but R.O.B., Samus, Bowser Jr, Snake, Fox, Falco, Wolf, etc. do the whole "tech" thing already. Tails would bring another gun or another mech to the table. Eggman would do the exact same as well.
  • Shadow is the most likely because he could be made into a Sonic semi-clone or Echo. At best he uses Chaos Attacks, but Mewtwo kinda does that already. Teleportation, energy projectiles and distortion, done. Even better for Shadow since the assets already exist.
  • Knuckles would bring the "and Knuckles" title and another brawler moveset. He's also an assist trophy already, so there goes that.
Those are the only three worth mention. Anyone else is plain unlikely. Megaman could potentially get Zero, but he's more likely for DLC in my opinion, and he'd play so differently from Megaman that he's worth consideration. Sega has other properties that should get representation before another Sonic character.
  • Puyo Puyo is a massive franchise in Japan and has niche popularity in America. A newcomer from this series could represent the puzzle genre of gaming and bring an interesting moveset based off of the mechanics of the game.
  • I've talked enough about Shin Megami Tensei and Persona, but both are popular and a demon summoner/stand user could bring a lot of moveset potential. Nintendo has also worked with Atlas before on the fever dream known as Fire Emblem x Persona Shin Megami Tensei, otherwise known as Tokyo Mirage Illusions #FE
  • Monkey Ball is worth mentioning due to it's popularity in arcades and on Nintendo systems. I don't know how a character from that series would be implemented, but it'd be exciting
  • SEGA also owns the Yakuza series, which would be...interesting to see in Smash.
  • They also own the Shinobi series if Nintendo really wants a Ninja character that isn't Ryu Hayabusa or Stider Hiryu
And that's just the tip of the iceberg really.

Last edited:

UltraDude20

Smash Rookie
NNID
UltraDude20
For third parties, I'll take anyone bar Shovel Knight. Dude was just a flavor of the month character during the Smash 4 DLC days. I would like to see Sora, Joker, and Simon Belmont the most though.

I think we'll see a lot of third parties this time around, because as Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa said, they would please the most people and cause the most hype.
Although Nintendo needs permission before they can do that and the game is releasing in less than 5 months so I think we'll see 3 Third parties at Max.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think a "retro" character is still very likely for Ultimate, simply because I believe that Sakurai has a lot of fun creating these types of characters. Since these characters often lack a defined personality, Sakurai is able to take extensive creative liberties to recreate them when introduced into smash, basically its the closest Sakurai can get to creating OC characters for smash bros.

:ulticeclimbers: Smash bros. introduced the whole battle duo and ice bending elements to the characters
:ultgnw: a conglomeration of the whole g&m console, there was no character named mr. game and watch before melee, so he's basically a smash original character.
:ultpit:Completely redisgned by Sakurai
:ultduckhunt: Introduced the concept of the duck, dog, and light gun working together in one character, paired them with other zapper games.
This is why I have hope for a Mach Rider with transforming armor.

Mach Rider's armor can be rigged from various parts. She has tires on the side of her forearms, which can be used as shields or weapons. But she can also lock her arms together, chains and gears can pull other parts of her armor into a locked formation and she can become a motorcycle or some type of apocalyptic vehicle.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'd actually want Joker and it's cool to think he might replicate the effect Bayonetta created in speculation community.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

There's a reason why pretty much every fighting game franchise includes guest characters nowadays , they sell like hot cakes. I don't know if we'll get a new guest character for the base roster (getting snake back pretty much counts in my book), but I'm willing to bet money that there will be more 3rd party DLC characters for ultimate.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Elma's voice actress said she hopes Elma gets announced for Smash Bros.
Take that for what you will.
OOOH!

I’m a little surprised that the voice actor does want Elma in Smash.

OBJECTION!
2 of your Mario characters are clone and there are 7 Pokémon characters.

Though with a limited newcomer roster I would prioritize a Pokémon character and a character from a new or other series than Kirby. Bandana Dee is pretty eh to me.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
This is why I have hope for a Mach Rider with transforming armor.

Mach Rider's armor can be rigged from various parts. She has tires on the side of her forearms, which can be used as shields or weapons. But she can also lock her arms together, chains and gears can pull other parts of her armor into a locked formation and she can become a motorcycle or some type of apocalyptic vehicle.
I hope Mach rider gets in as the retro rep as well (I had a Mach rider icon on the wishlist in my signature, but the icons are all messed up now).

Mainly i would love how diffrent in tone Mach Rider is from the other retro characters and the rest of the roster. A mad max style post-apocalyptic biker with a high tech motorcycle? Heck yes that's cool!

D

Deleted member

Shovel Knight > Joker.

At least people actually cared enough about him to make him a big deal for Smash at some point.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
God I feel this in my soul. People who claim Kirby isn’t is represented enough are obviously unfamiliar with the franchise/have little appreciation for it.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Shovel Knight > Joker.

At least people actually cared enough about him to make him a big deal for Smash at some point.
How can you!?

ThAt iS An iNsULt tO US JOkEr sUPpoRteRs!
Bradli Wartooth Bradli Wartooth blast him away with your Persona influence!

But seriously, I would take Joker > Shovel Knight any day. Joker wasn’t even around during the ballot.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
How much is too much when it comes to adding third parties?
1/11 of the roster is a third party, to clarify.
:ultsonic::ultbayonetta:
:ultmegaman::ultryu:
:ultsnake:
:ultpacman:
:ultcloud:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
How much is too much when it comes to adding third parties?
1/11 of the roster is a third party, to clarify.
:ultsonic::ultbayonetta:
:ultmegaman::ultryu:
:ultsnake:
:ultpacman:
:ultcloud:
When we reach more than 10.

I feel that Smash should mostly stay a Nintendo crossover and include characters from other Nintendo series instead of having a lot of the characters not even be from Nintendo.

God I feel this in my soul. People who claim Kirby isn’t is represented enough are obviously unfamiliar with the franchise/have little appreciation for it.
Aside from maybe Bandanna Dee, all of Kirby’s core cast is there. Idk about adding any character aside from Bandanna Dee.

With Pokémon a majority of the Pokémon are from Gen 1 and as seen here we want Pokémon that are from a generation aside from that, and Gen 7 has loads of unique characters to choose from.

Geno is the only Mario character that is mostly wanted. It’s really just that, people like him.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Elma's voice actress said she hopes Elma gets announced for Smash Bros.
Take that for what you will.
Then she's probably not in then. :p It's another Phil B&K dilemma.

When we reach more than 10.

I feel that Smash should mostly stay a Nintendo crossover and include characters from other Nintendo series instead of having a lot of the characters not even be from Nintendo.
Technically they all starred in Nintendo's games, Cloud being the farthest since FFVII wasn't on a Nintendo console, FF Theater was.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Guess I will go ahead and make a post on who I want more from each series. The ones I think do not need another rep will be left out

Mario: Geno
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool
Legend of Zelda: Impa
Metroid: Dark Samus (Echo fighter) or leave it as it is now that Ridley is revealed
Yoshi: Kamek
Pokemon: Gengar
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Kirby: Bandanna Dee
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Warioware: Ashley
Sonic the Hedgehog: Blaze the Cat (just to throw something out)
Pikmin: Loiue (Echo fighter)
Animal Crossing: Isabelle
Xenoblade: Elma or Rex
Street Fighter: Ken (Echo fighter)
Final Fantasy: Tifa Lockheart
Splatoon!: Octolngs (Echo fighter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom