• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoysOurBoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5238-5359
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I really don't think we will be getting a newcomer from Zelda or Kirby. Also if we get a newcomer from Pokemon, I have a feeling it will be a Pokemon that no one really expects.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Thanks!

I started by listing characters I thought could make good echoes, and cut out certain choices. For instance, my initial list also had Ken, Proto Man, and additional Star Fox characters, who I cut from the Top 10 for varying reasons. In the end, I left out Impa in favor of my other Top 10.

She would at least be my Number 11, but honestly, I probably SHOULD have had her over my 10 or 9. I really wanted to bring up Number 10, even though it's a stretch, just because I never see it brought up (which is my whole problem with that character in the first place lol). As for Number 9...I particularly like the "first choice" of 9, but am unsure if that actually would fit the "echo criteria."
That's fair, yeah I personally really disagreed with you #10 lol, don't think the whole Pikachu line needs to be represented, but it is your top 10!

The rest though I totally think is spot on and while I hate the idea of a 3rd party echo, I think you're absolutely right that if a 3rd party were to get another character it would be the Sonic series and if it were an echo it would be Shadow. Poor Tails deserves it more though.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Guys, I made a "Tier-List", while I can't use an image of it, I'll make it using Icons.

S Tier: :ultbayonetta::ultmetaknight::ultcloud::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultdiddy::ultsheik::ultfalco:
A+ Tier: :ultolimar::ultpikachu::ultrosalina::ultzss::ultmarth::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultmario:
A Tier: :ultkirby::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultryu::ultpeach::ultcorrin::ultfalcon::ultlucina:
B Tier: :ultwario::ultlucario::ultkingdedede::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultsamus::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultdoc:
C Tier: :ultgnw::ultbowser::ultvillager::ultpit::ultgreninja::ultrob::ultmegaman::ultness::ultlucas:
D Tier: :ultganondorf::ultduckhunt::ultlink::ultdarkpit::ultyounglink::ultike::ultshulk::ultrobin:ultpokemontrainer:
E Tier: :ultroy::ultlittlemac::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultzelda::ultbowserjr::ultpichu::ultwiifittrainer:

This tier list is built by taking each character's tier placement (i.e. #1, #2, etc) as a percentage relative to the cast of each game, then taking their best overall percentage placement, and ordering them using this value.
I only used Smash 64, Melee, Brawl and 4 to make the list (so no PM or Ultimate).
What would they have to do to make Dark Pit a whole tier lower than Pit!? XD
Yes, when you go by the method I was using, S4 Bayonetta is better than Brawl MK and Melee Fox.
S = Smash 64; M = Melee; B = Brawl; 4 = Smash 4
:ultbayonetta:4; :ultmetaknight:B; :ultcloud:4; :ultfox:M; :ulticeclimbers:B; :ultdiddy:4; :ultsheik:4; :ultfalco:M;
:ultolimar:B; :ultpikachu:S; :ultrosalina:4; :ultzss:4; :ultmarth:M; :ultsonic:4; :ultsnake:B; :ultmario:4;
:ultkirby:S; :ultmewtwo:4; :ultjigglypuff:M; :ultryu:4; :ultpeach:M; :ultcorrin:4; :ultfalcon:S; :ultlucina:4;
:ultwario:B; :ultlucario:B; :ultkingdedede:B; :ulttoonlink:B; :ultwolf:B; :ultsamus:M; :ultdk:4; :ultyoshi:S; :ultdoc:M;
:ultgnw:B; :ultbowser:4; :ultvillager:4; :ultpit:B; :ultgreninja:4; :ultrob:B; :ultmegaman:4; :ultness:4; :ultlucas:4;
:ultganondorf:M; :ultduckhunt:4; :ultlink:4; :ultdarkpit:4; :ultyounglink:M; :ultike:B; :ultshulk:4; :ultrobin4; :ultpokemontrainer:B;
:ultroy:M; :ultlittlemac:4; :ultpalutena:4; :ultpacman:4; :ultzelda:; :ultbowserjr:4; :ultpichu:M; :ultwiifittrainer:4
So, did you forget to give Zelda a designation, or did you do it intentionally because she's been consistently terrible?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I't been forever since I've played smash on the 3DS, what was so wrong with the paper mario stage?
Two-thirds of it was Sticker Star.

Honestly, I could've lived with Sticker Star being the main focus if they had chosen a better area than Bowser's Castle. It's an underwhelming part of SS, and the layout is just awful. There's absolutely no need for Bowser's head to spin on that stage when there's barely enough footing for two players.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I haven't been on here in about a week, but I was working on this (and other irl stuff...)! It's my personal Top 10 characters I think would be good potential "Echo Fighters."
First off, I like the video's formatting, and you have a good voice for commentary. As for your picks:

#10 - I don't see Raichu happening. If we're getting another Pokemon character, it'd likely be from Gen VII. Plus, with Pichu back, I really don't see Raichy making it in as an Echo. He'd probably opt for an Echo of a fighter without a clone already.

#9 - Viridi as a Palutena clone I don't see happening, whereas Medusa is possible, but unlikely. Kid Icarus already has Dark Pit, who's probably the most criticized 'Echo' clone. I don't see Kid Icarus getting another character, let alone another clone. Even if Medusa has potential to be a bit more unique.

#8 - Isabelle is a character with plenty of potential to be a unique fighter, but I won't deny her potential to become an 'Echo' fighter, either. I think she's one of the most likely newcomers for Smash Ultimate, and I wouldn't be too surprise if her fate was to be a Villager 'Echo'.

#7 - The idea of having all three Mother protagonists is interesting, but I don't think that idea will be enough for Ninten to be chosen. You already have a main character, being Ness, and a semi-clone, being Lucas. Adding in Ninten would create another Marth situation, and I don't see that going down too well.

#6 - If we had to get more 'Echo' fighters, I'd be the least upset with Octoling, but I don't see it happening. Inklings are already a brand new newcomer, and I don't know if they'd end up getting 'Echo' fighters of themselves already. Plus, one small factor would be that the Inklings' ink already covers the eight main ink colors from Splatoon. Having Octolings would mean that they have eight new ink colors, all distinct enough to not be confused for one of the Inkling's colors. A small factor, but one I can see really hindering them.

#5 - Funky Kong is possible, but I'm not too sure on us getting a Donkey Kong 'Echo'. The Tropical Freeze 'Funky Mode' on Switch definitely helps, since it would appear late in development, just like most clones. But if we've already seen Daisy, then it could be too late for Funky Kong. I'm iffy with him.

#4 - I doubt we'll see Galacta Knight when Meta Knight is already confirmed to have an alt based off of Galacta Knight. He even had the vertical split in the mask to closer resemble it. I don't see it happening.

#3 - Okay. Dark Samus is possible, don't get me wrong, but I believe people are reading too far into her. Her not being seen thus far in Smash Ultimate as an Assist Trophy doesn't hold much weight, as they probably wanted to focus on new Assist Trophies first. People think that Samus losing her Dark Samus alt in the Demo is a big factor, when it holds no weight, since Ridley's confirmed Meta Ridley alt was nowhere to be found in the Demo, either. Dark Samus is possible, but I think people are overselling her.

#2 - I firmly believe that we are not getting Chrom. Sakurai felt that there were too many Fire Emblem characters BEFORE adding Corrin, and the only way Corrin got in Smash in the first place was because the Dev. team pushed that he'd be unique, and that he fit the 'promotion' role for a DLC character. Not to mention the sheer number of Fire Emblem characters has garnered quite the backlash. Chrom getting in as an 'Echo' goes against both of these points, as he would not be a unique addition, would not be used to promote anything, and would cause even worse backlash. And, like Dark Samus, Ike losing his Chrom color palette means nothing. We have Brawl Ike and Smash 4 Ike now, and so both versions have lost a few palette swaps. One of the lost Smash 4 Ike ones just happened to be Chrom's. And also, not having seen another character's Final Smash yet means nothing, as several characters are receiving new Final Smashes, and if Robin did get a new one, perhaps it was unfinished? Or maybe there's nothing new to show?

#1 - Shadow is popular, but I seriously doubt we'll end up seeing an 'Echo' of any 3rd Party character. Him not being seen as an Assist Trophy in the Demo doesn't hold much weight for the same reasons I talked about with Dark Samus. Knuckles being an Assist Trophy doesn't necessarily deconfirm Shadow as an Assist Trophy either, as I doubt there's a limit to how many Assist Trophies a 3rd Party franchise can get.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I really don't think we will be getting a newcomer from Zelda or Kirby. Also if we get a newcomer from Pokemon, I have a feeling it will be a Pokemon that no one really expects.
I agree with you on all counts honestly. My hope is Buzzwole or Pheromosa for the Pokemon. And I would actually say there's better odds for Dark Samus as a Metroid rep than a new Zelda or Kirby (echo so it's easy to do, color was missing from the demo for Samus)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Oh! ????????????? ????????????? forgot to mention, but you do know Galacta Knight is a Metaknight alt right (well just a costume refrenxe)? Someone else just pointed it out to. Maybe now you can move down your list and add Impa ;).

Jk, but curious if you think he can be an alt and echo.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I't been forever since I've played smash on the 3DS, what was so wrong with the paper mario stage?
Like other people have said, the Bowser's Castle section was absolutely awful due to have next to no footholds, and the ones that were there were unstable. It's particularly sore when people have been wanting a proper Bowser's Castle stage for as long as they have.

I also really don't like the first phase. It feels cramped, awkwardly laid out and I hate the fan. The second phase isn't so bad, but it doesn't capture the feel of Paper Mario, and it's kind of a knockoff of the Wind Waker Pirate Ship stage anyway.

It's just a very poor way of representing a beloved series.

KMDP

Smash Legend
So, did you forget to give Zelda a designation, or did you do it intentionally because she's been consistently terrible?
I forgot.

Regardless, Zelda's best showing was in Melee, she's been getting worse ever since (22nd Place/84.6%; 36th Place/97.3%; 54th Place/98.18%).

Meanwhile, DK gets bigger, stronger and faster too! (9th Place/75%; 17th Place/65.3%; 21st Place/56.8%; 22nd Place/40%).

Kirby seems... eclectic. XD He keeps going up and down the tier lists.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Sorry to cut the discussion, but quick question: How many people do you ignore max? Just to compare.
I blocked one person, but then it was weird seeing people talking to no one when they were active, so I unblocked them (in other words, zero).

As for Paper Mario, one of my favorite things about Ultimate so far is the chance to play the 3DS stages on a big screen in HD!

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's "bigger, faster, and stronger too" you uncultured swine.

I'm not serious, I just have the DK Rap memorized. Sorry.
I can never remember which comes last. All I know is Bigger comes first. :dkmelee:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna lie I would love Yuri in smash. Tales of Vesperia is my favorite tales game by far.

please give me Repede as well
Yuri Lowell in Smash would be amazing. Vesperia is the only Tales game I really care about.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
TTYD is my favorite game of all time and I really do enjoy the original PM as well so I really want the Paper Mario stage to return, but only for the middle part. I agree that the other two sections of the stage kinda suck.

I'm just glad Sakurai even acknowledged the existence of the first two games. The Paper Mario devs clearly don't these days. Also I agree that SPM is a good game and I'd rather go back to that then where we're at now. The Paper Mario stage should be representing the first three games with three sections imo.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Hmm...likely newcomers:

1. King K. Rool
2. Simon Belmont
3. Ashley
4. Dixie Kong
5. Geno
6. Isaac
7. Waddle Dee
8. Impa
9. Heihachi
10.Captain Toad

I omitted Steve because I prefer Malik Blishtar over Steve anyways. And I added in only two echo Fighters because I think it's highly likely that they would be Ballot contenders and possibly even unique fighters rather than echoes? Who knows, really?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I hope no more than 1-2 echoes, and then about 5 more non-echoes. It'd be fun to get to #70.

Watch Sakurai pull out some ridiculousness and give us like 15 unique newcomers though and blow our minds...

I just think that we don't need another retro just because they're retro. People have this idea that we have to have a retro since we always have gotten a NES era character. But there are loads of NES era characters in Smash currently, to the point that it's hands-down the most represented console era, and more importantly fanrules are not actual quotas Sakurai lives by. This may be the Smash game where we don't get a retro or a Pokémon - I don't know.

The most common name thrown around is Excitebike, but he was denied in Melee since it'd be hard to keep him permanently mounted. Maybe he's reconsidered, or maybe a stage or keeping the assist would be a better representation of the series. Or maybe Sakurai would prefer to have more recognizable characters - the NES era was now almost 30 years ago, so many new fans don't have that same connection that they did for Melee 17 years ago. Also, a lot of the other names for 'retro' were mediocre games at best, or didn't get exported to a certain region, which was the reason Takamaru was excluded form Sm4sh (and ostensibly Ultimate)
Tbh sometimes I feel like the NES era's is Nintendo's equivalent of the "Genwun" pandering that's been plaguing the Pokemon franchise lately. I get that It's one of Nintendo's beginnings as a games company so they like to make lots of callbacks to it and all in their games but.... Can we please get somebody from the SNES or Game Boy era instead this time or something (Besides Pokemon and Daisy)?

Last edited:

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Tbh sometimes I feel like the NES era's is Nintendo's equivalent of the "Genwun" pandering that's been plaguing the Pokemon franchise lately. I get that It's one of Nintendo's beginnings as a games company so they like to make lots of callbacks to it and all in their games but.... Can we please get somebody from the SNES or Game Boy era instead this time or something (Besides Pokemon and Daisy)?
Or maybe N64 era, especially since we'll inevitably get an N64 Classic. Could build some early hype for it. Marina from Mischief Makers or Banjo would be nice.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I hope no more than 1-2 echoes, and then about 5 more non-echoes. It'd be fun to get to #70.

Watch Sakurai pull out some ridiculousness and give us like 15 unique newcomers though and blow our minds...

I just think that we don't need another retro just because they're retro. People have this idea that we have to have a retro since we always have gotten a NES era character. But there are loads of NES era characters in Smash currently, to the point that it's hands-down the most represented console era, and more importantly fanrules are not actual quotas Sakurai lives by. This may be the Smash game where we don't get a retro or a Pokémon - I don't know.

The most common name thrown around is Excitebike, but he was denied in Melee since it'd be hard to keep him permanently mounted. Maybe he's reconsidered, or maybe a stage or keeping the assist would be a better representation of the series. Or maybe Sakurai would prefer to have more recognizable characters - the NES era was now almost 30 years ago, so many new fans don't have that same connection that they did for Melee 17 years ago. Also, a lot of the other names for 'retro' were mediocre games at best, or didn't get exported to a certain region, which was the reason Takamaru was excluded form Sm4sh (and ostensibly Ultimate)
Yeah, the earlier games are starting to get... somewhat niche.

Why don't we pull from the SNES, GB, GBA and Gamecube eras instead for "Retro characters"?

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Just climbing the mountain of posts I'll join you all... eventually.

Even with the images being borked up now, I knew you were going to make that joke. :p
Saber would be a good rep for the visual novel genre, and she's insanely popular in Japan and here in the West, so I can see it happen. Plus invisible, legendary, Excalibur sword that launches wind and light attacks, plus shoot lasers? YES PLEASE!
Which female character do you think has the best chance of being included as a fighter?
Amaterasu
Ashley
Blaze the Cat
Dixie Kong
Elma
Gardevoir (hey I can dream can't I?)
Isabelle
Pyra
Reimu
Saber
Would anyone want Saki Amamiya as a playable?
I want ANY character that has a Gunblade in Smash.
Pokemon movesets? Aw hell yeah!

Allow me to show you my moveset for the best Pokemon of all time.
Poipole!

Nuetral A: Whips it's tail back and forth

Up tilt: throws it's tail upwards

Down tilt: whips it's tail in front of it

Nuetral B: Gunk Shot. Poipole sprays a sticky adhesive on to enemies. It does low damage and doesn't knockback but it sticks to the opponent for a short time and steadily does damage, like Pikmin.

Side B: Sludge Wave: Poipole charges forth while engulfed in poison.

Up B: Dragon Pulse. Poipole turns upside down a fire a dragon pulse from it's stinger to rocket itself upwards.

Down B: Fell Stinger. Poipole slams downwards stinger first at incredibly high speeds. If the move lands the damage is great but if it misses Poipole gets lodged in the ground. You have to time it right.

Up Smash: Poipole squats down and headbutts upwards.

Side Smash: Poipole slams it's huge head forwards.

Down Smash: Poipole sweeps it's long tail left and right.

Final Smash: Ultra Lazer. Several Ultra Wormholes open around the stage. Poipole fires a huge lazer into one of the wormholes and it comes through all the other portals, moving pulsing and back and forth like a deadly light show. Once everyone's dead, Poipole giggles.

Up Taunt: Poipole cackles wildly.
Side Taunt: Poipole curiously looks around.
Down Taunt: Poipole spins upside down while giggling creepily.
Alright I'll give this shot. At first, it was gonna be simple, then I started thinking, and thinking, and thinking, and then I thought some more. To the point where I need someone to send help, lest I think up more moveset like this. So here it is, Primarina's moveset.

Movement (cause I know someone will address this): when walking, Primarina will skillfully balance herself on a small (low to the ground), water orb in her normal position and moves it around. When running or dashing a small wave quickly carries Primarina wherever she desires. Jumping: a spout of water launches her into the sky (slight chance of a windbox)

Unique Mechanic - Performance Gauge: As a performer, Primarina does her best work in front of a crowd, and Smash is no different. For every move you hit a enemy with a small amount of the Performance Gauge(10 segments) will increase.
It will take 20 (successful) Standard attacks, 20 (successful) Special attacks, a KO, or three throw conversions to increase the gauge fully, increasing Primarina's damage output, movement, and attack speed, and Lessening the chance to escape her throws.

Dash attack: Tackles With its full body along with a wave.

Jab: Quickly waves her arms back and forth, along with an arc of water

Multistrike: Primarina sings happily and a small water orb releases blade of waters in all direction that explodes for the finisher.

F-tilt: Slaps the foe hard with her fin along with a wave of water.

Down-tilt: Quickly spins, and hits foe with her tail (there's a chance to trip foes)

Up-tilt: releases an explosion of water with a wide range splash zone.

F-Smash: Sings happily, while quickly pushing an orb of water forward that stuns foes then explodes

Down-Smash: Sings sadly, while whirlpools form on both sides of her (eat your heart out kindra)

Up-Smash: Sings coldly, and ominously, causing Icicles to quickly rises from the ground on both sides of her.

N-air: Surrounds herself with a flash of light, hits in all direction (Dazzling Gleam) (two hits)

B-air: Releases an Icy Wind (freezes at high percent's).

F-air: Double Slaps the foe.

D-air: Hits with a devastating Aqua Tail (Meteor Smash)

Grab: Primarina traps foes in an orb of water.

Pummel: Primarina increase the pressure of the water in the orb, crushing the foe rapidly.

Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: As a performer, Primarina loves to entertain the crowd, and what better way to do that (and increases her performance gauge) then by doing tricks with helpless enemies trapped her water orbs. By holding A, B and the control stick in the direction of the throw you want, in the middle of a throw, you can convert to a different throw that's more favorable to you.
You can cancel conversions by pressing B or allowing throws to go through. You can use any combination but Up-Throw is always last since it's non-convertible. By doing this, you can rack up damage on your enemies, and kill them with powerful throws while building gauge. Be warned, enemies at very low percent's can cancel out of converted throws. Save them for enemies at higher percent's.

F-Throw: Primarina quickly balances the orb on her tail, then throws it back and forth, catching it with her tail each time, then smacking the foe forward (Last as long as Game & Watch's up throw, other enemies can be hit during throw)
(Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: Juggling Act - Hold A to extend the attack of the orb by juggling it, and rack up damage, outside enemies can also be hit. Hold A, B and the control stick in another direction to convert to a new throw)

Back-Throw: Rejects the foe harshly with a hard tail slap while they're captured in the orb (Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: Cascadeball: If another enemy is hit with the captured enemy, it does massive damage and knockback to the other enemy, and the captured enemy will rebound, and return to Primarina for more punishment. Hold A in the middle of back-throw to dribble the 'ball', and use the control stick to turn around).

Down-Throw: Balances on the water orb (with foe inside) by standing with her tail, then slams it into ground
(Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: Tail Balancing Act: by holding left or right while balancing, you can roll around the stage on the orb for a limited time, while the foe gains damage, you can even jump with it to higher platforms as well too. However your foe can escape over time at low percent's, and your hurtbox is extended, use it wisely in free-for-all).

Up-Throw: Throw's the foe upward with her nose
(Unique Throw Mechanic - Performance: (Grand Finale!) Great Nose Balancing Act - Aqua Room: by holding A, and B together during Up-throw, Primarina can grow, and expand the water orb on her nose to fit two more enemies. Enemies in range will be suck in by the surrounding water.
They will gain damage over time while in the orb which will then explodes overtime, sending enemies in the direction you hold the stick
(or every direction if you don't), more enemies, means more damage. However she can only carry one heavyweight/large character, and she cannot convert to other throws as this is her finale).

Neutral B: Sparkling Aria - Singing happily, Primarina charges up an orb of water (charge is cancelable) when charged all the way (about the same charge time for Thoron), if the orb hits the enemy, it does massive damage, and scatters into smaller orbs that hit in all directions.

Side B: Bubble Beam - Primarina whistles releasing a rapid fire stream of bubbles, that stuns enemies(heavy damage on shields)

Up B: Aqua Jet - Similar to Quick Attack, propels in two direction with a hitbox.

Down B: Hyper Voice - Distressed singing releases an omnidirectional barrier of sound, that provides decent range, good damage, knockback and nullifies projectiles. However, extended singing will cause her voice to weaken to nothing, along with the barrier of sound.

Final Smash(3 possible versions):

Hydro Vortex - Primarina release a torrent of spiraling water while singing proudly, pushing all caught in it off screen.

Oceanic Operetta - Primarina summons a wave, anyone caught in it enters a cutscene of Primarina joyfully singing, as she gathers an gigantic amount of water before quickly dropping it onto her foes and exploding it.

Perish Song - With great sadness, Primarina will sing a Requiem for her opponents, any caught in its range will be tortured by the beautiful, yet maddening song of despair as their damage increases. At the finale of the song, anyone who damage is at, or over 100% will be destroyed.
Taunts:
Up Taunt - Primarina's happy song echo throughout the stage.
Side Taunt - Primarina Balances on her water orb with her nose while humming.
Down Taunt - Primarina juggles orbs of water while whistling whimsically (taunt can damage opponent).

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Guys, I made a "Tier-List", while I can't use an image of it, I'll make it using Icons.

S Tier: :ultbayonetta::ultmetaknight::ultcloud::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultdiddy::ultsheik::ultfalco:
A+ Tier: :ultolimar::ultpikachu::ultrosalina::ultzss::ultmarth::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultmario:
A Tier: :ultkirby::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultryu::ultpeach::ultcorrin::ultfalcon::ultlucina:
B Tier: :ultwario::ultlucario::ultkingdedede::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultsamus::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultdoc:
C Tier: :ultgnw::ultbowser::ultvillager::ultpit::ultgreninja::ultrob::ultmegaman::ultness::ultlucas:
D Tier: :ultganondorf::ultduckhunt::ultlink::ultdarkpit::ultyounglink::ultike::ultshulk::ultrobin:ultpokemontrainer:
E Tier: :ultroy::ultlittlemac::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultzelda::ultbowserjr::ultpichu::ultwiifittrainer:

This tier list is built by taking each character's tier placement (i.e. #1, #2, etc) as a percentage relative to the cast of each game, then taking their best overall percentage placement, and ordering them using this value.
I only used Smash 64, Melee, Brawl and 4 to make the list (so no PM or Ultimate).
What would they have to do to make Dark Pit a whole tier lower than Pit!? XD
Yes, when you go by the method I was using, S4 Bayonetta is better than Brawl MK and Melee Fox.
S = Smash 64; M = Melee; B = Brawl; 4 = Smash 4
:ultbayonetta:4; :ultmetaknight:B; :ultcloud:4; :ultfox:M; :ulticeclimbers:B; :ultdiddy:4; :ultsheik:4; :ultfalco:M;
:ultolimar:B; :ultpikachu:S; :ultrosalina:4; :ultzss:4; :ultmarth:M; :ultsonic:4; :ultsnake:B; :ultmario:4;
:ultkirby:S; :ultmewtwo:4; :ultjigglypuff:M; :ultryu:4; :ultpeach:M; :ultcorrin:4; :ultfalcon:S; :ultlucina:4;
:ultwario:B; :ultlucario:B; :ultkingdedede:B; :ulttoonlink:B; :ultwolf:B; :ultsamus:M; :ultdk:4; :ultyoshi:S; :ultdoc:M;
:ultgnw:B; :ultbowser:4; :ultvillager:4; :ultpit:B; :ultgreninja:4; :ultrob:B; :ultmegaman:4; :ultness:4; :ultlucas:4;
:ultganondorf:M; :ultduckhunt:4; :ultlink:4; :ultdarkpit:4; :ultyounglink:M; :ultike:B; :ultshulk:4; :ultrobin4; :ultpokemontrainer:B;
:ultroy:M; :ultlittlemac:4; :ultpalutena:4; :ultpacman:4; :ultzelda:M; :ultbowserjr:4; :ultpichu:M; :ultwiifittrainer:4
Mah boi on bottom tier?

Bruh, fite mah naw

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Well... Mario still had a Wario alt in Smash 4, for what it's worth.
The difference there though is that Mario and Wario have completely different proportions and movement. The two Samuses would have identical proportions and incredibly similar armor designs. Assuming Samus would keep Dark Samus color palette, and Dark Samus would be in, it would be extremely difficult to track.

?????????????

Smash Master
The difference there though is that Mario and Wario have completely different proportions and movement. The two Samuses would have identical proportions and incredibly similar armor designs. Assuming Samus would keep Dark Samus color palette, and Dark Samus would be in, it would be extremely difficult to track.
Well, I don't disagree with you...

But I thought we were talking about Galacta Knight.

?????????????

Smash Master
As far as Galacta Knight goes, I think he still has enough visual distinctions, like the angel wings, horns, lance, and shield.

D

Deleted member

Saber would be a good rep for the visual novel genre, and she's insanely popular in Japan and here in the West, so I can see it happen. Plus invisible, legendary, Excalibur sword that launches wind and light attacks, plus shoot lasers? YES PLEASE!
I doubt it would actually happen, but now I'm sold on the whole "invisible sword" thing.
That would be pretty cool to have in Smash.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Mah boi on bottom tier?

Bruh, fite mah naw
I wish it wasn't so, but Roy's best showing was in Melee. It's more that he's "consistently low" than "bottom tier". Wii Fit Trainer's on the bottom not because she's bottom tier in Smash 4, but because she's low tier in Smash 4, and the actual bottom tiers, Dedede, Ganondorf, Zelda and Jigglypuff, were all higher in other games.

...She's not that far behind Pichu. XD

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's because the NES era shaped not just specific genres, but the industry itself, it's not as much because of popularity or nostalgia as is the case with Gen 1's influence on Pokémon, it's also about representing video game history. Sakurai is a video game freak beyond the usual, so obviously he'll have a huge appreciation for that era, and unlike a lot of us he doesn't have nostalgia for the video game generations that came in between the retro and modern periods, so if they didn't make an impact on the industry or came up with huge innovations then they likely didn't make an impact on him either. Then there's also the fact that Nintendo's most iconic franchises and characters came into existence during this period, and considering how much they depend on those established franchises it's not so odd that there aren't as many iconic characters that have been created since.

I fully understand why there's such a big focus on that era, and I also think Sakurai has been right to focus on it so much, but it's also beginning to thin out a little bit as most of the most iconic characters from that era are in now (except Toad, sorry little guy). I don't think it's going to lead to them including characters from other eras though, but they're more likely to just double down on relevant characters instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom