• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
That is true, if we consider the veterans Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Newcomers Inkling, Ridley, and Daisy (Which is 10 fighters). Would you say its safe to expect atleast 5-7?
Hmm... yes.

To be honest, the veterans aren't newcomers. Technically they could/would require a fair bit of work, but they wouldn't require as much work as a Newcomer. They get to skip the planning stage, for one. With Pichu and Young Link, they can use of similar tricks they used in Melee to make them, even if they have to make them from scratch otherwise, and with the Brawl characters they can use the same transfer process as in Smash 4 (assuming characters were transferred from Brawl to 4).

We can assume that the Ice Climbers were already done in Smash 4, so you can take them off the list.

Theoretically, that's two character development steps they get to skip, and even with the actions they need to program, they already have the previous games, so they know where they're going already. A lot of the veterans could be fast-tracked this way.

Inkling and Ridley are full characters, we can assume that they took the full amount of time the Dev team normally needs.
Ice Climbers were already done in Smash 4 (the problem was that they didn't work in the 3DS version), so they would take the same amount of time to get ready as any of the other Smash 4 vets.
Daisy is an Echo Fighter; which we know are "low effort clones" (granted, Daisy has a little more effort in her than the other two, due to the cosmetic animation changes. :laugh:)

Snake, Wolf, Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle and Ivysaur are the ones I wouldn't want to guess at.

Last edited:

UltraDude20

Smash Rookie
NNID
UltraDude20
I'm expecting at least 4 to be announced while another 3 will only be restricted to when the game comes out like Melee.
Btw I'm not new to Smash I've played since Melee on my older bros GC. Just posting this so people don't think I'm a Smash Noob. I'm only new to SmashBoards.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Gamestop employees don't know a thing that the general public doesn't up until they have cartridges in their hands. Which smart companies make sure isn't too long before release.
Yeah that's kinda what i was thinking when he told me.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Sometimes I get sad

then I remember that we live in a world where Ridley is in an official Smash game

suddenly, that sadness evaporates instantly.

UltraDude20

Smash Rookie
NNID
UltraDude20
Wolf kinda counts as a semi-newcomer since his moveset has been changed and his design has been changes so he may or may not have taken the same time to make as Inkling and Ridley although he already had his ID in Smash so he might have taken a different amount of time than veterans and newcomers.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sometimes I get sad

then I remember that we live in a world where Ridley is in an official Smash game

Ironically, we get Ridley, but lose the four Final Smash fighters as a drawback; it would've been quite hilarious to see Giga Bowser outsize Ridley.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Lmao Captain Falcon is the update today and the Dutch translation os laughable. "His special move, the Falcon Hit, can influence multiplayer battles"
"A fighter that possesses both speed and power! But in exchange, he is frequently left open. Being able to successfully land his neutral special, Falcon Punch, can greatly influence the battle in multiplayer matches."

Dutch translation seems legit. :laugh:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"A fighter that possesses both speed and power! But in exchange, he is frequently left open. Being able to successfully land his neutral special, Falcon Punch, can greatly influence the battle in multiplayer matches."

Dutch translation seems legit. :laugh:
Damn lol. Influence really isn't the word to use imo. Perhaps "can change the tide in battle" or something

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Even Sonic Boom mentioned that Shadow was the 2nd most popular character in the whole canon lol.
I remember that episode.

Wolf kinda counts as a semi-newcomer since his moveset has been changed and his design has been changes so he may or may not have taken the same time to make as Inkling and Ridley although he already had his ID in Smash so he might have taken a different amount of time than veterans and newcomers.
Wolf took about 70% the effort of a made-from-scratch newcomer, so no, he doesn't take the same effort as the Inklings.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I get sad

It's still kinda hard to believe, huh? An entire decade of waiting, anguish and memes finally coming to a close.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Damn lol. Influence really isn't the word to use imo. Perhaps "can change the tide in battle" or something
The sentence I quoted was the English line used for Captain Falcon.

If they actually got "Falcon Punch" wrong, though; wow. XD

KMDP

Smash Legend
It uses the word Stoot because Punch isn't really a Dutch word but Falcon isn't Dutch so they could have called it Valk Stoot
I did some cursory research, according to Wiktionary, the Dutch for "Punch" is "Stomp/Stompen"...? But "Stoot" still lists "Punch" as one of it's translations, though it isn't on the Punch page.

Methinks their Dutch translations are incomplete.

Google Translate actually does a decent job at translating the Dutch, though some of it is awkwardly worded in English:
"A fighter who has both speed and strength! However, he can not defend as well. His special attack, Falcon punch, can have a big impact in multiplayer battles."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So there's that tier-list maker for Smash Bros. Ultimate already available here.

Is it fine to share our own tier-lists in this thread without having the risk to get torpedo'd of quotes again?

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's more along the lines of not knowing how to share it around...
If you click the Share button, it gives you the option to name the tier list.

After that... *shrug*

If the "Share" button isn't actually a Share button and is actually the "Save" button, then that's a really poor choice of words.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So here's a cool idea that just popped into my head.

What if the intro to Ultimate starts off with the intro to the original title and goes all the way up to the point where the original 8 are running and then the screen suddenly warps and everyone is in their new forms and they're joined by several other characters from the newer games.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

What if the intro to Ultimate starts off with the intro to the original title and goes all the way up to the point where the original 8 are running and then the screen suddenly warps and everyone is in their new forms and they're joined by several other characters from the newer games.
That would be cool, but that begs a question...

If the new into still suggests that the Smash characters are toys being played with, why in the world would a little kid own a Bayonetta doll? Is he even old enough to know what game she comes from?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
"The Falcon Punch can have a huge effect in multiplayer battles!"
Yeah, because everyone pops off at the fact that someone actually got Falcon Punched, and then they get so tilted that they get hit by countless more Falcon Punches. It's some wack ****. I've had it happen to me.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So if everyone series had one new representative who would you choose and why? (obviously some couldn't have a new representative but the ones that can)
I guess these are my picks (in the big spoiler tag)
(N64 series)
Mario: Don't really have a most wanted Mario character outside of Waluigi, but I'll give a shout-out to Geno. He'd be quite a dark horse victory for his fans who've been looking forward to him in Smash Bros since the days of Brawl, and I wouldn't mind playing as him if he were to join the Smash Bros cast.
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool - Not really for myself, but for his fans who've been begging for him to be playable in Smash for ages. He'd be a pretty neat heavyweight fighter, especially if he brought his Blunderbuss from DKC2.
The Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid - A fitting rival for Young Link, and I guess he could be a trickster mage fighter like Kefka in the Dissidia games.
Pokémon: Decidueye - Would be a neat archer type character, and could easily have some neat Ghost Type attacks to draw from.
Kirby: Bandanna Waddle Dee - Kirby's Fourth Musketeer at this point, and thanks to his Spear which we've yet to see in Smash Bros, I think BWD is a very welcome addition to Smash.
Yoshi - N/A
F-Zero: Tossing up between Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow. Probably I'd lean for Goroh if he were to be some sort of heavyweight samurai/Sumo type of fighter; slow movement speed thanks to his girth, but he's surprisingly fast with his sword attacks. Maybe some Iaido thrown in, but you could say that about Lyn and Takamaru too... Hmm... Maybe I might consider writing a moveset for Goroh to try and sell the idea.
Star Fox: N/A - I feel like we're fine for Star Fox, as much as I think Krystal would be nice, Fox, Falco and Wolf is a nice representation of the series.
Mother/EarthBound: Porky I guess could be an interesting fighter - maybe focusing on long-range mecha attacks, or fighting ala Bedman from the Guilty Gear games. I'd easily choose Porky over Ninten.
Metroid: Dark Samus - Easily could be an Echo Fighter for Samus, but she'd be a nice way to properly round off the Metroid representation in Smash. Maybe give her a Phazon/poison effect for her attacks that deal damage over time.

(Melee series)
Ice Climbers: N/A
Fire Emblem: Tossing up between Lyn or Hector for a newcomer, but I suppose Celica wouldn't be a bad idea. Though I'm perfectly fine if Fire Emblem skips a newcomer this game, I'd probably lean towards Lyn for a new Fire Emblem character, if she focused on fast swordplay and archery thrown in.
Game & Watch: N/A

(Brawl series)
Kid Icarus: Viridi - Probably my pick for a new Kid Icarus character, and I think she could easily bring in some of the weapon types that haven't been included from KI yet, such as Claws, Palms and maybe summoning various Forces of Nature troops to aid her.
WarioWare: Ashley - One of the most popular Warioware characters, and I think she could easily bring something neat with various magic attacks that could debuff enemies or making magic potions.
Metal Gear: Raiden - Could easily be focused on high-speed swordplay as opposed to Snake's long range explosives and traps. Plus we get Metal Gear Rising tracks too.
Pikmin: Probably promoting Alph to an Echo Fighter.
Gyromite: N/A -
Sonic: Dr. Eggman - Sonic's long-standing rival and could easily bring over his mechs like the Egg Walker from Sonic Adventure 2 or building gadgets and weapons for a fun tool kit in Smash Bros.

(Smash 4 series + Splatoon since it's so far the only new series in Smash Ultimate)
Animal Crossing: Isabelle - She's one of the closest things Animal Crossing has for a mascot alongside the Villager, and she could be a lot of fun as Opossum proposed.
Wii Fit: N/A -
Punch-Out!!: N/A
Mega Man: Zero - Appears in both the Mega Man X and Zero games and one of the most popular Mega Man characters out there.
Xenoblade: Either Rex & Pyra for their Driver and Blade tag-team system which would be pretty neat, or Elma for her being able to swap between double guns and double swords on the fly, as well as the Skell mech for a Final Smash.
Duck Hunt: N/A
Street Fighter: Chun-Li - First lady of fighting games, and stars in as many crossovers as Ryu does for the Street Fighter games.
Final Fantasy: Terra Branford - Could be a fun sword and magic fighter, and comes from another well-respected Final Fantasy game.
Bayonetta: The Lumen Sage -
Given that he's Father Balder, he's present in both Bayonetta games, but I think his boss fights in Bayo2 were a lot of fun. Easily could draw from both games for a fun moveset.
Pac-Man: N/A
Splatoon: Octolings - Easily could be Echo Fighters or a Wolf-esque semi-clone using weapons that the Inklings don't use like Splatlings or Chargers. Helps that I loved the Octo Expansion.

...Quite a big list...

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Bayonetta, that is something completely different from the rights to publish something. However, the fact that Sakurai easily has connections to Platinum games through Nintendo makes it a simple negotiation.

lol

you are interpreting that quote so selectively that you are missing the entire point of it, that being it makes more sense to include a popular character rather than obsess over one that is on Nintendo. they never even MENTION Final Fantasy's significance to Nintendo systems. like, dude, cmon
Pretty sure Nintendo owns the rights to Bayonetta 2

D

Deleted member

"The Falcon Punch can have a huge effect in multiplayer battles!"
Yeah, because everyone pops off at the fact that someone actually got Falcon Punched, and then they get so tilted that they get hit by countless more Falcon Punches. It's some wack ****. I've had it happen to me.
Falcon punch so easily dodged tho how does anyone get hit by it unless your shield stunned or something like that

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So there's that tier-list maker for Smash Bros. Ultimate already available here.

Is it fine to share our own tier-lists in this thread without having the risk to get torpedo'd of quotes again?
The one thing that really bugs me about that page is that it doesn't use the Smash Ultimate artworks for the Mii Fighters. Additionally, it doesn't give you the option to separate the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I wonder how the Smash community would react if Kirby more than 1 unique newcomer. Like in addition to Bandana Dee, we also got Dark Matter or Daroach? (or Magolor I guess)

Dark Matter is a very prominent influence in the Kirby series with Sword form making a surprise return in Planet Robobot.

Daroach, had a prominent role in two separate games and got a fair a bit of marketing for a time and was never forgotten by Hal as he got a special doodle sticker in Planet Robobot and a hat in Battle Royale, and of course he was the front runner for batch 2 of the Dream Friends and his moveset has so much love and care put into, perhaps more than any other Dream Friend so far, even Marx. Speaking of, it's really easy to see how this would translate to Smash, unlike Marx who had to rely on a lot of elements to fit all his moves. Daroach has every boss move, every Squeak, a few animal attacks and even a chest containing Dark Nebula. He even teleports when he dodges!!

Sorry I'll quit nerding out, I know he has next to no chance, but I can dream.

And of course Magolor has been pretty popular since he appeared and was always there in some form, usually quite minor though. He has a lot of magic to use for inspiration.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice

I think it would be cool if Sakurai caters to all the old Smash 64 and Melee schoolyard shenanigans of a playable Master Hand, and actually made Master Hand playable. Maybe a survival mode where you see how long you can hold out against the roster (fighters appearing in their order of appearance), or even just balance it and make it playable full-time.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That’s not how a newcomer works...he’s still a simple vet
I wonder how the Smash community would react if Kirby more than 1 unique newcomer. Like in addition to Bandana Dee, we also got Dark Matter or Daroach? (or Magolor I guess)
I’d react by demanding for more Viridi...specifically her as a playable character
Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Bayonetta, that is something completely different from the rights to publish something. However, the fact that Sakurai easily has connections to Platinum games through Nintendo makes it a simple negotiation.
Nintendo has ownership of Bayo 2 and 3 since both games are funded and published by Nintendo to the point where those games can only be on a Nintendo platform (while Sega still owns a portion of Bayonetta, which Platinum Games owns more of)

Last edited:

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice

Dark Matter is a very prominent influence in the Kirby series with Sword form making a surprise return in Planet Robobot.

Daroach, had a prominent role in two separate games and got a fair a bit of marketing for a time and was never forgotten by Hal as he got a special doodle sticker in Planet Robobot and a hat in Battle Royale, and of course he was the front runner for batch 2 of the Dream Friends and his moveset has so much love and care put into, perhaps more than any other Dream Friend so far, even Marx. Speaking of, it's really easy to see how this would translate to Smash, unlike Marx who had to rely on a lot of elements to fit all his moves. Daroach has every boss move, every Squeak, a few animal attacks and even a chest containing Dark Nebula. He even teleports when he dodges!!

And of course Magolor has been pretty popular since he appeared and was always there in some form, usually quite minor though. He has a lot of magic to use for inspiration.
Daroach would be a pretty cool rep I hadn't considered, since I'm also on the Bandana Dee hype train. Might actually be my new preferred Kirby rep since I'm always game for more villains to the roster.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

Daroach is the dream, honestly. I know people point to Bandana Dee, Marx or Magolor for the next potential Kirby rep but as someone who grew up playing Squeak Squad, Daroach is one of those characters I'd die to see in-game.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So if everyone series had one new representative who would you choose and why? (obviously some couldn't have a new representative but the ones that can)
I'm not gonna pick for some series - there are a bunch that I think don't really need another.

Mario: possibly Waluigi
I'm not a fan of the Waluigi reactions we've seen, but he is about as visible as Daisy and I wouldn't mind seeing him in Smash. Mario is a bit crowded, but duh it's Mario​
DK: KING K. ROOL
There's no question that DK deserves another character or two, and the Kroc is important to the series and favored by most players. There's no reason that he shouldn't be in.​
Zelda: Urbosa
It's a tough one here between Urbosa and Midna here, but the Gerudo Champion edges out since she was so epic in her BotW cutscenes. Zelda does deserve another somewhat unique newcomer.​
Metroid: -
We just got Ridley. We're good for now.​
Yoshi: -
Unfortunate thing about the Yoshi series is that most characters are Mario generic enemies. We're good for now​
Kirby: -
I'm not really a Kirby fan, and Kirby's got a lot of representation outside of characters as well. I'd like to see old Kirby stages (FoD) and items (Parasol) come back before any new characters.​
Star Fox: -
After the series has started to languish, I don't think it needs more characters at this time.​
Pokémon: Decidueye
It's a toss up between Deci and Gardevoir, but I feel like Deci has a really cool look and moveset potential, so I'll take him.​
EarthBound: -
The series is dead and buried, is only three games, and only two were localized. Plus, Ness may potentially be Ninten, as indicated by the creator. We're good for now.​
F-Zero: -
The series needs to come back first. We're good for now.​
Fire Emblem: Azura
Despite Fates' saturation, Azura had a really interesting design and a unique weapon. Honorable mention for Chrom as an echo just because they did him dirty last round.​
Kid Icarus: -
It absolutely does not need more characters than games with all of the items and stages on top of it. It's really not that important of a series, and isn't looking like it'll get a new game anytime soon to boot.​
Warioware: Ashley
She's hugely popular and visible, so I could easily see her getting her chance here.​
Pikmin: -
The Pikmin fighter follows the Pikmin themselves with relatively interchangeable captains. Make the others into Olimar alts and call it a day.​
Animal Crossing: Isabelle
Despite her pacifist tendencies, she's one of Nintendo's breakout stars. She deserves to be in.​
Wii: -
We don't need more characters to rep a console. More stages is enough.​
Punch Out: -
Mac is pretty well the face of the franchise, and reps it well enough on his own. We're good for now.​
Xenoblade: ?
I'm not a huge JRPG fan, but I don't have a preference between Elma and Rex (or any of the other protags). Only thing I don't want is both, since it annoys me that some series get as many characters as games in the series while Zelda hasn't gotten a new unique moveset since Melee.​
Splatoon: -
They're good for now. The Octolings are popular but seem interchangeable and would work as alts.​
New Nintendo: Spring Man
ARMS seems like a natural addition to Smash, and Springyboy has a great design.​
Generic Retro: -
Most important retros are in, so any further seems to just be scraping the bottom of the barrel. We don't need to fill in an extra just because of some made up quota.​
Konami: Simon Belmont
Never played Castlevania, but it is one of the big gaming styles along with Metroid, so it deserves representation. Also I'd love to see fanart of Simon and my most wanted adventuring together.​
Sega: Tails
It pains me to see that Tails is not the next most favored Sonic rep since he was originally Sonic's answer to Luigi. I'd love to see him in and recreate that EGM April Fools hoax this much later.​
Capcom: -
Capcom got a lot last time, so I don't think they need too much more. Also, most of their franchises are dueling it out for this spot. I guess Amaterasu would be my favorite, but not by much.​
Square: -
To me, Square is synonymous with JRPGs, and I don't need more of those. We have enough anime characters; if we want an RPG, let's bring on a western one.​
Other Third Party: DOVAHKIIN
Like this! I am contractually obligated to shoehorn the Dragonborn in every wishlist. Skyrim was a huge game and spawned countless memes. Also, we haven't has a WRPG rep yet either. I'd love to see him playable.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom