• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So yesterday I mentioned how weird it was that ROB didn't have a home stage background, but there's another thing that's weird to me, that I was reminded by SSB4Dojo SSB4Dojo 's super useful spreadsheets.

Only two series repeat homestages. Fire Emblem, who has to because there are 3 stages for 6 characters, and Pokemon. Now there are currently 7 Pokemon fighter pages (Pokemon Trainer is one) and there are 7 revealed stages.
IMO it should be something like this
Saffron City - Jiggly
Stadium 1 - Pikachu / Pichu
Stadium 2 - Trainer
Spear Pillar - Lucario
Unova Leauge - Mewtwo
Prison Tower - Pikachu/Pichu
Kalos Leauge - Greninja

It makes almost perfect sense with most characters alligning with their gen (Jiggly, Lucario and Greninja) or stages that just make sense (Prison Tower is an Electric Gym so Pichu or Pikachu). But instead Unova Leauge and Prisim Tower is used twice. ( SSB4Dojo SSB4Dojo can you confirm that Pokemon Stadium 2 is in both and that it's not Stadium 1 for Jiggly and 2 for Trainer?) This really confuses me and kind of worries me. Why? Well if we were to get a Gen 7 pokemon it would make sense to just give them a new Alolan stage as their background. But with both Saffron City and Spear Pillar not being used I'm worried they might be saved for a Pokemon from that gen (cough cough ANOTHER Gen 1 Pokemon).

It's probably nothing but interesting that other large series like Mario or Zelda, or other series with just enough stages for characters like Kid Icarus, don't repeat and yet Pokemon does when it doesn't have to. Long post over.

Saffron City - Pikachu/Jigglypuff
Pokemon Stadium 1- Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Stadium 2 - Pichu
Kalos League - Mewtwo (due to music mostly)
Spear Pillar - Lucario
Prism Tower - Greninja

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
DEFINITELY ME!. Although it's not exactly surprising that music is getting in, even if elma wasn't in getting a few reused tracks on gaur plains wouldn't have been surprising, but it being new renditions definitely makes me wonder...
About the composer... We'll probably get Xenoblade X tracks and they might be remixed but composers also remix the tracks they didn't previously work on, right?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I've asked this before but not gotten responses. Something different from all the character speculation.

What new game modes would you like to see this time around? I'd love a capture the flag mode on big maps or a king of the hill mode where you try to control a zone. Also a multi character stock match would be awesome.
Classic mode actually being, you know, classic mode.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Saffron City - Pikachu/Jigglypuff
Pokemon Stadium 1- Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Stadium 2 - Pichu
Kalos League - Mewtwo (due to music mostly)
Spear Pillar - Lucario
Prism Tower - Greninja
For consistency sake I would swap PT and Pichu as those stages came out in the games they were in. Other than that, this works too except you didn't use the Unova Leauge. See every stage could be used but they didn't :/

D

Deleted member

↑ This is the man who made the new F-Zero medley.

It's surreal how a man like him has a good practice of spoken English, but also has such a golden voice.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So yesterday I mentioned how weird it was that ROB didn't have a home stage background, but there's another thing that's weird to me, that I was reminded by SSB4Dojo SSB4Dojo 's super useful spreadsheets.

Only two series repeat homestages. Fire Emblem, who has to because there are 3 stages for 6 characters, and Pokemon. Now there are currently 7 Pokemon fighter pages (Pokemon Trainer is one) and there are 7 revealed stages.
IMO it should be something like this
Saffron City - Jiggly
Stadium 1 - Pikachu / Pichu
Stadium 2 - Trainer
Spear Pillar - Lucario
Unova Leauge - Mewtwo
Prison Tower - Pikachu/Pichu
Kalos Leauge - Greninja

It makes almost perfect sense with most characters alligning with their gen (Jiggly, Lucario and Greninja) or stages that just make sense (Prison Tower is an Electric Gym so Pichu or Pikachu). But instead Unova Leauge and Prisim Tower is used twice. ( SSB4Dojo SSB4Dojo can you confirm that Pokemon Stadium 2 is in both and that it's not Stadium 1 for Jiggly and 2 for Trainer?) This really confuses me and kind of worries me. Why? Well if we were to get a Gen 7 pokemon it would make sense to just give them a new Alolan stage as their background. But with both Saffron City and Spear Pillar not being used I'm worried they might be saved for a Pokemon from that gen (cough cough ANOTHER Gen 1 Pokemon).

It's probably nothing but interesting that other large series like Mario or Zelda, or other series with just enough stages for characters like Kid Icarus, don't repeat and yet Pokemon does when it doesn't have to. Long post over.
I think you just explained why we shouldn't get too worked up over this - Spear Pillar wasn't used.

I don't know what process is used to decide which character gets which stage as a background, but I don't think it's indicative of who will get in Smash. We could easily get a double reveal of a new Gen 7 newcomer and a new stage just like Greninja and the Kalos League stage.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
For consistency sake I would swap PT and Pichu as those stages came out in the games they were in. Other than that, this works too except you didn't use the Unova Leauge. See every stage could be used but they didn't :/
Don't forget Poke Floats!

And the inevitable SuMo stage...

Galaxy brain: Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Zard will have different home stages dependent on who is leading/starting the battle.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think you just explained why we shouldn't get too worked up over this - Spear Pillar wasn't used.

I don't know what process is used to decide which character gets which stage as a background, but I don't think it's indicative of who will get in Smash. We could easily get a double reveal of a new Gen 7 newcomer and a new stage just like Greninja and the Kalos League stage.
I 100% admit I'd feel worse if Saffron City was the only stage not used....why didn't they give Lucario Spear Pillar?! Lol.
Don't forget Poke Floats!

And the inevitable SuMo stage...

Galaxy brain: Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Zard will have different home stages dependent on who is leading/starting the battle.
If anything this is evidence that Poke Floats isn't returning :(

Yea really hoping for a touring Alola Stage, either through Ultra Holes or whatever the hell they are called, or by like a Poke Transportation thing like Charizard.

Speaking of traveling stages, how do hazards off ones work? Is just one location chosen? Probably

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Excited about the Xenoblade music if it turns out to be true.

Interesting tidbit:
There are 4 Earthbound stages, and only 9 songs total in the series' history in Smash. Id' wager unless there's only two songs per stage that we'll get more music from the series.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
As much as I want to believe some of the home stages are just placeholders, they could have just made the decisions on the fly/without putting too much thought into 'em.

I still don't understand why of all the Metroid stages that would actually make sense for him, Ridley's home stage is regular Brinstar

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
As much as I want to believe some of the home stages are just placeholders, they could have just made the decisions on the fly/without putting too much thought into 'em.

I still don't understand why of all the Metroid stages that would actually make sense for him, Ridley's home stage is regular Brinstar
Yeah just reminded myself that Ridley is fought in Norfair which would have been a better fit. That and Palutena could have been given her Temple but instead got generic Sky World?

On one hand I think there was very little reasoning and will have no impact on the game, but on the other hand why even put stages in the background then??? I mean some thought was put into it such as Peach actually getting her castle. Hm.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Interesting tidbit:
There are 4 Earthbound stages, and only 9 songs total in the series' history in Smash. Id' wager unless there's only two songs per stage that we'll get more music from the series.
At the very least, Fourside will have to get some new music. Once you distribute the songs to the other three stages, there's not really anything left that would work.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Interesting tidbit:
With F-Zero getting vocals in its songs, I’m hoping we could get some of the songs from the Mother album that was recorded in the 90s. Some pretty good songs in my opinion.

blackghost

Smash Champion
we are getting a reveal for smash ultimate at evo. reasons seem pretty obvious to me

1. the new approach form sakurai to the competitive scene.
2. reveals at evo are a thing all companies do now. i dont care if they didnt do it for smash 4 if you still dont see the differences on this game compared to 4 i cant help you
3. i believe its confirmed they will have a dmeo on stage. why do that if youhave nothing new for the players to see? the build we have been seeing and (some) played is old.
4. evo is bigger for games than sdcc. its bigger than some other tournament where it was seen before. i dont know how else to explain how big evo is these days. only the smash community doesnt seem to get that.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I am sad, i find myself lurking on this forum less and less. We really need some more information about the game, the waiting is terrible and kinda makes me forget about the game....

Zeox

Smash Champion
So bored that you are making lists of characters with the letters of the alphabet? Here's a very big challenge, double the number of actual characters, that means give me 65 newcomers, extra points if you don't repeat the same franchise over and over (like adding 65 new Pokemons and that's it)

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
( SSB4Dojo SSB4Dojo can you confirm that Pokemon Stadium 2 is in both and that it's not Stadium 1 for Jiggly and 2 for Trainer?)
I can't tell enough from the pics, haven't checked in a while and might have updated that before Pokemon Stadium 1 was known to be in the game. It could be either way, can't see the little triangles on the platforms.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Here's a game

Say your 2 most wanted characters, and 2 of your least wanted characters (keep it video game related, and maybe make one Nintendo). But don't say who is who

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

Probably obvious, Given the signature but that doesn't matter because nothing matters, ever. But that's off topic. Just do it.
Mimikyu
Ashley
Steve
Rabbids

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Interesting tidbit:
3 Mother songs for each stage plus a song that fits said stage enough
Yeah just reminded myself that Ridley is fought in Norfair which would have been a better fit. That and Palutena could have been given her Temple but instead got generic Sky World?

On one hand I think there was very little reasoning and will have no impact on the game, but on the other hand why even put stages in the background then??? I mean some thought was put into it such as Peach actually getting her castle. Hm.
Guess Palutena needed a break from her home
Classic mode actually being, you know, classic mode.
Or be like the 3DS version at the least

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Here's a game

Say your 2 most wanted characters, and 2 of your least wanted characters (keep it video game related, and maybe make one Nintendo). But don't say who is who
Excluding the characters in my signature:

Chorus Kids
Captain Toad
Spring Man
Elma

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wow, this thread has been crawling at a snail's pace today. I guess people really are getting tired of no new info.
No it's because Smashboards servers are having a stroke.

↑ This is the man who made the new F-Zero medley.

It's surreal how a man like him has a good practice of spoken English, but also has such a golden voice.
yeah okay lets forget i mentioned him too

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I had no interest in playing as Ridley, but a suit and tie alt might change that.
xP Well, my Ridley has pretty high standards when it comes to his fancy looking clothing, and since a friend is working on a Classic Ridley mod, I am going to jokingly ask him to put him on one, and funny, he was actually going to with one of my fancy clothed Ridley designs I made years ago, but it was the Other M one, so it was kinda complicated and it did not happen.
You know this lawsuit is real once Ridley of all people wears a suit
He's called the Phoenix Wright of the Space Pirates! xD

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
xP Well, my Ridley has pretty high standards when it comes to his fancy looking clothing, and since a friend is working on a Classic Ridley mod, I am going to jokingly ask him to put him on one, and funny, he was actually going to with one of my fancy clothed Ridley designs I made years ago, but it was the Other M one, so it was kinda complicated and it did not happen.

He's called the Phoenix Wright of the Space Pirates! xD
So...he’s hella op

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
View attachment 154214

Got bored so I did a new game based on the previous word association one:

A-Z of newcomers. We're in a parallel universe where 26 newcomer is feasible, but you can only have one of each letter. Who you pick?

A: Andy
B: Bandana Dee
C: Captain Toad
D: Dixie Kong
E: Elma
F: Fossil Fighter
G: Gooey
H: Henry Flemming(you're welcome Oppossum)
I: Impa
J: Jashin(and Doshin)
K: Kamek
L: Lyn
M: Meowth
N: Nikki(was a tough choice)
O: Octoling
P: Porky(although Paper Mario was close)
Q: Qbby
R: Ribbon Girl
S: Slippy Toad(Samurai Goroh was close)
T: Toad
U: Urobosa(not many U's)
V: Vaati
W: Waluigi
X: Xander(again not many X's)
Y: Yuga
Z: Zoroark (almost went for Zant but way too many Zelda newcomers)

What are yours?
[When I were mindblocked, I chose a Pokémon.]

A: Ashley.
B: Bandana Waddle Dee.
C: Crash Bandicoot.
D: Doshin the Giant.
E: Elma.
F: Ferelgatr.
G: Geno.
H: Heihachi Mishima.
I: Isaac.
J: Jimmy T.
K: King K. Rool.
L: Lip.
M: Marshal.
N: Noctowl.
O: Octoling.
P: Professor Layton.
Q: Quagsire.
R: Ribbon Girl.
S: Skull Kid.
T: Tauros.
U: Ursaring.
V: Victini.
W: Waluigi.
X: Xerneas.
Y: Ylveltal.
Z: Zapdos.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm late to this but wow, Peach's Castle looks absolutely fantastic this game.
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

Probably obvious, Given the signature but that doesn't matter because nothing matters, ever. But that's off topic. Just do it.
Dark Matter
Anna
Bandana Dee
Marx

Funny thing is, this entire thing is liable to change, if any one of the characters I want on this list gets in the game I'll stop having a real reason to oppose one of the ones I don't want.
I've asked this before but not gotten responses. Something different from all the character speculation.

What new game modes would you like to see this time around? I'd love a capture the flag mode on big maps or a king of the hill mode where you try to control a zone. Also a multi character stock match would be awesome.
An actual Mario Party like mode, Smash Tour didn't play as much like Mario Party as I'd want, I'd want it to have a traditional Mario Party board with some sort of star and coin system, just replace all the minigames with Smash battles (and special scenarios for 1v3s and 2v2s) and it'd be golden.
I can't tell enough from the pics, haven't checked in a while and might have updated that before Pokemon Stadium 1 was known to be in the game. It could be either way, can't see the little triangles on the platforms.
I'm pretty sure it's Stadium 1.
Stadium 1.jpg
Stadium 2.jpg
Stadium 1 confirmed.png
Stadium 1 has something like that thick rectangular thing that Jigglypuff's picture has but Stadium 2 doesn't. The Stadium behind Jigglypuff also has the dash line underneath the object that Stadium 1 has and it also doesn't have one of the small triangles Stadium 2 would have there.

prowler12

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7518-9066-3502
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

ducidueye
spring man
king k rool
geno
those are mine

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I hunger for more Pit gameplay...I feel like I’ve seen them all

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Random thought that just popped into my head, what if we got a combined Skull Kid and Geno reveal trailer?! Wouldn't that just be the most perfect thing ever? The story writes itself with Young Link following Geno through the Lost Woods when they are suddenly attacked by Skull Kid and it just gets weirder from there.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

I'm going to go with what a previous post did and refrain from characters in my signature. So they aren't my two most wanted but rather 2 I defintely would like to be in the game.

Elma
Shadow
Steve
A Rhythm Heaven Character

On a related note my two most wanted would have been Mimikyu and Twintelle which would have been super obvious lol.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Random thought that just popped into my head, what if we got a combined Skull Kid and Geno reveal trailer?! Wouldn't that just be the most perfect thing ever? The story writes itself with Young Link following Geno through the Lost Woods when they are suddenly attacked by Skull Kid and it just gets weirder from there.
I would die of happiness

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Is Smashboards being a butt for anyone else or is it just me?

Took me forever to load into the site, then forever to check TWO threads.

Yikes.

Anyway....any new info I missed waiting 989 years to get into the website?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, what's left before they run out of new stuff from the demo?

Stages (seem to only be covering new and returning stages not in SSB4):

-Saffron City
-Frigate Orpheon
-New Pork City

Pokeball Pokemon:

-Scizor
-Togemaru

Assist Trophies:

-Sticker Arcade Rabbit

Items:

-Banana gun
-Crash bomb (Kirby)
-Fake Smash Ball

Am I missing anything? I know that we're almost already a third of the way to the game's launch but I had forgotten what a master at stalling for time Sakurai was. How the hell did any of us make it through the 18 month Brawl and 15 month SSB4 wait?

Last edited:

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778

Yikes.

Not just you. The site in general is being a mess.

Also, Peach's Castle is today's blog post.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: It's kind of weird thinking about how long Marth has been around in Smash for, it feels like quite a long while... but the length of his sword is kind of more ridiculous, it's definitely longer than other medieval swords that I've seen.

Otacon: Believe it or not, Marth was actually considered to be a character in the original Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64, Snake. Even though Fire Emblem was a Japan exclusive title at the time, he was seriously considering as a fighter for the title, but was excluded because of time constraints. If he were in the game, he would've been around in Smash for longer.

Snake: Things like that is always pretty interesting... were there any other characters that could've been in the game along with him?

Otacon: Apparently Mewtwo was planned for the game, while Bowser and King Dedede were both cut during development. Who knows what the game could've been like if we also had them...

Snake: And who knows how different things could've been had I been able to participate in that melee they had 17 years ago...

Otacon: For the last time, Snake, that was 17 years ago, can't you drop it for once?

... 2X CODEC COMBOBOB!!

*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Remember that Wii console that Otacon got for us 12 years ago? There were those custom avatars that we all made, and it looks like I'm fighting one.

Colonel: So you do recognize the Mii Fighter, Snake. When we first made Miis, we used them in various sports and party games rather than any violent games like Smash, so seeing a Mii here is likely surprising to you.

Snake: Not really... at this point, it's not too surprising, having faced off against much stranger characters here in the past. Then again, who knows what kind of Miis I'll be facing, they're completely customizable.

Colonel: That's right, Snake, the possibilities are endless with Miis, you could be fighting the likeness of a celebrity, a politician, a cartoon character, or even an animal. And don't forget, there's three different fighting styles that they can use, so use each of their weaknesses to your advantage.

Snake: ...or they could be a shoddy recreation of me or any of you guys. Cheap knockoffs that'll never be as good as the real deal.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, THIS adds an interesting wrinkle.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_crash_bandicoot_on_nintendo_switch_in_japan
If Crash makes it in Smash, does it mean that Sega would submit him as a character on Activision/Sony/Universal's behalf?

Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

Shantae
Kiddy Kong
Rayman
Urban Champion

If you know me well enough, it's a no-brainer.

Yikes.

Not really, aside from DAYTONAAAAAAAAA flavor being infused into a F-Zero medley.

Edit: Huh, kinda missed the Peach's Castle focus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom