• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Here's a game

Say your 2 most wanted characters, and 2 of your least wanted characters (keep it video game related, and maybe make one Nintendo). But don't say who is who

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

Probably obvious, Given the signature but that doesn't matter because nothing matters, ever. But that's off topic. Just do it.
Excitebike Racer
King K. Rool
Minecraft Steve
Lip

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
About the Xenoblade X composer...I mean all that's saying is we will get music from that game which shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Hopefully it means we also get a new stage from it, but it doesn't necessarily mean new character. Although anyone who was excited for music from that game should be excited! ( MoonlitIllusion MoonlitIllusion I think???)

Also speaking about a possible Spring Man EVO reveal (unlikely) I realized that his rush attack is a perfect Final Smash for Ultimate because it's quick and right to the punch (pun intended). Although I have a problem with 3+ characters having quick punches finishers.

Also also...I didn't read that Spring Man rumor but did it 100% know that Ribbon Girl was an alt? Because not making her an echo is a sad wasted opportunity.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
About the Xenoblade X composer...I mean all that's saying is we will get music from that game which shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Hopefully it means we also get a new stage from it, but it doesn't necessarily mean new character. Although anyone who was excited for music from that game should be excited! ( MoonlitIllusion MoonlitIllusion I think???)

Also speaking about a possible Spring Man EVO reveal (unlikely) I realized that his rush attack is a perfect Final Smash for Ultimate because it's quick and right to the punch (pun intended). Although I have a problem with 3+ characters having quick punches finishers.

Also also...I didn't read that Spring Man rumor but did it 100% know that Ribbon Girl was an alt? Because not making her an echo is a sad wasted opportunity.
Yo, I love Sawano’s music too!

I like to think he was called over to maybe record a Xenoblade Chronicles X Medley, and maybe a higher quality rendition of the instrumental version of Uncontrollable (the instrumental version is only heard in game during time attacks and isn’t on the actual official soundtrack iirc, the only versions online are ripped from the game)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not going to read too much into it because, like you said, it could easily be the poster trying to make it seem more legit.

Still, Spring Man would be a great reveal. Not only would I get a character I really wanted, but it would also open the door to other characters from 2017.
Plus, ARMS and Splatoon were pretty much the only two successful new Nintendo franchises created between 2014 and 2018. ARMS totally missing the boat would really stick out, even if it wasn't publicly revealed until roughly a year after Ultimate started development. Plus, it's a fighting game and ARMS is only Nintendo's third attempt at the genre with Smash Bros being on the cusp of its 20th anniversary. Whether at launch or DLC, I have a hard time seeing ARMS getting totally skipped over.

D

Deleted member

Xenoblade Chronicles X Medley
Would that be incomplete remixes of Primordia and The Key We've Lost poorly spliced with the original versions of Uncontrollable and Wir Fleigen or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Personally, I'm hoping for this theme to get in as is (maybe slighty cropped to just be the vocals)

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's a game

Say your 2 most wanted characters, and 2 of your least wanted characters (keep it video game related, and maybe make one Nintendo). But don't say who is who

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

Probably obvious, Given the signature but that doesn't matter because nothing matters, ever. But that's off topic. Just do it.
Gengar, Marx, Kamek, Dark Matter

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just woke up from like a 14 hour sleep. I listened to F-Zero Remix, it's voiced by the Daytona USA guy. I recognize the voice.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
View attachment 154214

Got bored so I did a new game based on the previous word association one:

A-Z of newcomers. We're in a parallel universe where 26 newcomer is feasible, but you can only have one of each letter. Who you pick?

A: Andy
B: Bandana Dee
C: Captain Toad
D: Dixie Kong
E: Elma
F: Fossil Fighter
G: Gooey
H: Henry Flemming(you're welcome Oppossum)
I: Impa
J: Jashin(and Doshin)
K: Kamek
L: Lyn
M: Meowth
N: Nikki(was a tough choice)
O: Octoling
P: Porky(although Paper Mario was close)
Q: Qbby
R: Ribbon Girl
S: Slippy Toad(Samurai Goroh was close)
T: Toad
U: Urobosa(not many U's)
V: Vaati
W: Waluigi
X: Xander(again not many X's)
Y: Yuga
Z: Zoroark (almost went for Zant but way too many Zelda newcomers)

What are yours?
A: Anthony Higgs (Ashley and Andy were also considered)
B: Bandana Dee
C: Crash (Cranky Kong was also considered)
D: Dark Matter
E: Earthworm Jim (I’d like E. Gadd with a full Poltergust moveset, but I have enough Mario characters)
F: Fawful
G: Gooey
H: Hector
I: Impa
J: Jimmy T.
K: K. Rool
L: Lyn
M: Min Min
N: Ninten
O: Octoling
P: Porky
Q: Qbby
R: Rex & Pyra
S: Skull Kid
T: Toad
U: Urobosa
V: Vaati
W: Waluigi
X: X (from Mega Man X)
Y: Yarn Kirby (I definitely have too many Kirby characters, but I honestly have no clue who else I would like that starts with a Y)
Z: Zoroark

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
Some weird things I noticed on the smash blog, we have had new stages (including battlefield) only showcased on Monday’s where as retro stages were showcased on Tuesday’s. Also, every Sunday has been a character and besides the first Tuesday since that is when they announced the game, a subsequent Tuesday has never had a character showcased where we always have gotten a music track and stage/item/assist/Pokémon.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
I've asked this before but not gotten responses. Something different from all the character speculation.

What new game modes would you like to see this time around? I'd love a capture the flag mode on big maps or a king of the hill mode where you try to control a zone. Also a multi character stock match would be awesome.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

Sora, K. Rool, Elma, Ganon

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I suppose we are coming up to the point where those working at EVO would begin to catch wind of potential reveals. I'd say we ought to keep tabs on this one.
My thoughts on the Spring Man/Ribbon Girl "leak:"
Give it a chance. Smash Bros. has been known to take liberties in the past, so they may do the same here. None of the Koopalings have used an individual clown car, let alone one with wheels, Alph doesn't have Rock Pikmin, and Lucina fights nothing like Marth and yet she's an Echo of him.

Serious question: why should we give a chance to a text leak with literally nothing backing it up? I don't care if it's viable or not, it's literally just a "believable" text leak. We get hundreds every single day.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I've asked this before but not gotten responses. Something different from all the character speculation.

What new game modes would you like to see this time around? I'd love a capture the flag mode on big maps or a king of the hill mode where you try to control a zone. Also a multi character stock match would be awesome.
A story mode that’s cool but doesn’t eat up years of development time.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Alright, with that evidence on the inclusion of a Xenoblade X character, we now have possible evidence on three characters making it into smash being Elma, Bandanna Dee, and Simon depending on how much you subscribe to Verg.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

I'll assume this is without deconfirmed characters.

Slippy
Jeanne
Decidueye
Heihachi

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

I expect a battle royal mode.
And an expansion on the hp mode.

And an rpg esc mode where you level up a character with experience would be neat, but would have been better in ssb4 given customs.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Some weird things I noticed on the smash blog, we have had new stages (including battlefield) only showcased on Monday’s where as retro stages were showcased on Tuesday’s. Also, every Sunday has been a character and besides the first Tuesday since that is when they announced the game, a subsequent Tuesday has never had a character showcased where we always have gotten a music track and stage/item/assist/Pokémon.
Interesting if this is true! I love trying to find patterns in the Smash updates. The 3rd party character a week thing fell through but I am thinking Pac Man will be next.

So maybe next Monday we will finally get New Donk City? It's an interesting case of something we technically know about but literally any information on it would be news.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Plus, ARMS and Splatoon were pretty much the only two successful new Nintendo franchises created between 2014 and 2018. ARMS totally missing the boat would really stick out, even if it wasn't publicly revealed until roughly a year after Ultimate started development. Plus, it's a fighting game and ARMS is only Nintendo's third attempt at the genre with Smash Bros being on the cusp of its 20th anniversary. Whether at launch or DLC, I have a hard time seeing ARMS getting totally skipped over.
Take this as you will, but we haven't seen any reference to ARMS in Smash yet. Doesn't mean too much since we've only seen two new stages and a few items, but I feel like the odds of an ARMS rep would've dropped significantly if we saw Spring Stadium or the explosive soccer ball as an item. Not seeing an AT is a huge plus too, as E3 would've been a good time to reveal something like that.

Serious question: why should we give a chance to a text leak with literally nothing backing it up? I don't care if it's viable or not, it's literally just a "believable" text leak. We get hundreds every single day.
The original post got taken down. Could just be an attempt to make it seem more believable, but it's still something worth keeping an eye on.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Take this as you will, but we haven't seen any reference to ARMS in Smash yet. Doesn't mean too much since we've only seen two new stages and a few items, but I feel like the odds of an ARMS rep would've dropped significantly if we saw Spring Stadium or the explosive soccer ball as an item. Not seeing an AT is a huge plus too, as E3 would've been a good time to reveal something like that.

The original post got taken down. Could just be an attempt to make it seem more believable, but it's still something worth keeping an eye on.
No music update either like Snipper Clips....there's no way the game won't get any content...right? :(

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

-A Story Mode would be really cool. Or at least a cinematic movie.

-Bring Board the Platforms, Break the Targets and Race to the Finish back.

-It's been said a few times around here a Metroidvania mode similar to how The Great Maze was. That would be really cool and an engaging way to unlock the characters. No idea if it would have the depth a usual Metroidvania would have but it'd be an interesting thing.

-One thing Smash Tour got right was the final battle at the end. The style at the end fight should be it's own mode or a Special Smash similar to how Project M did it.

-Revert Classic Mode to how it was in Melee. The random factor made it very favorable for replay-ability.

-If a Story Mode isn't possible, then something akin to Melee's Adventure mode.

Last edited:

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
Interesting if this is true! I love trying to find patterns in the Smash updates. The 3rd party character a week thing fell through but I am thinking Pac Man will be next.

So maybe next Monday we will finally get New Donk City? It's an interesting case of something we technically know about but literally any information on it would be news.
Here is the work I have done on trying to find patterns and general info we know. Look at the last page to see the calendar breakdown I have. I really hope new donk city is shown soon and still hold hope it is a traveling stage either around new donk or through different kingdoms.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OUqJMB8kfdQGgymOxg3bfmOparag6F5Mt60DmWiE9Q8

osby

Smash Obsessed
You wouldn't want rants of "SSE was way superior this doesn't have soul in it" would you? :p
I just want a new story mode. It it's worse then SSE, great, it would give me another reason to replay it.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman

I'd like smash run to return with more maps, and put all of the players on the same map, kinda more faithful to kirby's airride city trial(which is what the mode smash run is based off of)

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

Rayman, Heihaichi, Geno, Ashley

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Here is the work I have done on trying to find patterns and general info we know. Look at the last page to see the calendar breakdown I have. I really hope new donk city is shown soon and still hold hope it is a traveling stage either around new donk or through different kingdoms.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OUqJMB8kfdQGgymOxg3bfmOparag6F5Mt60DmWiE9Q8
This is super helpful to look for patterns! It was hard to read on mobile but I got the jist of it! I don't know if I trust Sakurai to follow patterns but he's consistently done a couple so far, definitely most notiecably the music updates.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

King K.Rool, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Black Shadow

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

Marx
Steve
Rabbid
Adeleine

Man this one's damn obvious isn't it....

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
This is super helpful to look for patterns! It was hard to read on mobile but I got the jist of it! I don't know if I trust Sakurai to follow patterns but he's consistently done a couple so far, definitely most notiecably the music updates.
Yeah, I don’t realistically trust the patterns with sakurai either (save for music on Tuesday night for me at this point) but it is intriguing to try and find that super pattern even if there really isn’t one

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

Mimikyu that takes inspiration from Team Rocket's
Celica
Rex and Pyra
Chrom

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

...as if my sig isn’t gonna answer this itself...
Dovahkiin
Geno
K. Rool
Steve

Apologies for those who do support my least wanted; I will totally join you in celebrating your favorite...if my #1 gets in...

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

Shovel Knight
Lyn
Heihaichi
Krystal

Pay no attention to that signature below.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Made my most hyped order in the ssbworld tier list maker for Ultimate:

https://imgur.com/rmHUzhG

Combines the following criteria:

1. Presentation (cut vets and newcomers got a wee bonus from it, although any kind of positive changes that are noticeably hype are also good)
2. How much I like the character in the source material (this elevated some characters I can't really use like :ultdiddy:)
3. How much I like them as a fighter (this obviously boosts folks like :ultrob::ultrobin:ultgnw: who I have no attachment outside of Smash)

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Here's a game

For example, me

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Adeleine
Geno

Well it's no fun to make it obvious so I won't name any.
An irrelevant protagonist with no recent appearance
A glorified alt costume for a third-party character
A side character from a game that wasn't even a hit
An obscure japan-only character with no future in their franchise

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So yesterday I mentioned how weird it was that ROB didn't have a home stage background, but there's another thing that's weird to me, that I was reminded by SSB4Dojo SSB4Dojo 's super useful spreadsheets.

Only two series repeat homestages. Fire Emblem, who has to because there are 3 stages for 6 characters, and Pokemon. Now there are currently 7 Pokemon fighter pages (Pokemon Trainer is one) and there are 7 revealed stages.
IMO it should be something like this
Saffron City - Jiggly
Stadium 1 - Pikachu / Pichu
Stadium 2 - Trainer
Spear Pillar - Lucario
Unova Leauge - Mewtwo
Prison Tower - Pikachu/Pichu
Kalos Leauge - Greninja

It makes almost perfect sense with most characters alligning with their gen (Jiggly, Lucario and Greninja) or stages that just make sense (Prison Tower is an Electric Gym so Pichu or Pikachu). But instead Unova Leauge and Prisim Tower is used twice. ( SSB4Dojo SSB4Dojo can you confirm that Pokemon Stadium 2 is in both and that it's not Stadium 1 for Jiggly and 2 for Trainer?) This really confuses me and kind of worries me. Why? Well if we were to get a Gen 7 pokemon it would make sense to just give them a new Alolan stage as their background. But with both Saffron City and Spear Pillar not being used I'm worried they might be saved for a Pokemon from that gen (cough cough ANOTHER Gen 1 Pokemon).

It's probably nothing but interesting that other large series like Mario or Zelda, or other series with just enough stages for characters like Kid Icarus, don't repeat and yet Pokemon does when it doesn't have to. Long post over.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

DEFINITELY ME!. Although it's not exactly surprising that music is getting in, even if elma wasn't in getting a few reused tracks on gaur plains wouldn't have been surprising, but it being new renditions definitely makes me wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom