• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You put a non-zero amount of effort into this and for that...

I am both incredibly impressed and simultaneously disappointed beyond all words.
I was half-joking, but yeah, I don't know what to think about the fact I did this.

I'm sick, lol

Last edited:

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
New game!

Remember the “newcomer for each letter of ULTIMATE” thing? It’s the same but this time for SPECIAL, which is Smash Ultimate’s Japanese subtitle. One newcomer whose name starts with each letter.
S - Spheal
P - Papyrus
E - Elma
C - Champion of the Gerudo, Urbosa
I - Isabelle
A - Ashley
L - Love of my Life, forever and always, Bandana Dee

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Well, that part's true though.
Ridley is an irredeemable villain.

He's sadistic, genocidal, murderous, etc. He raids planets and has its inhabitants killed. He has no "morals" to speak of other than "might makes right".

He doesn't have an excuse to be evil like Ganondorf, who is tied by fate to be the way he is because he's an incarnation of Demises' hatred. Ridley just does this because he likes doing it.

EDIT: Not that it's a bad thing he's irredeemable. Some people like that sort of villain in media.
It's like Palpatine in Star Wars. He is such a despicable being responsible for mass genocide, engineering a destructive war on both sides just to facilitate this and endless cases of merciless cruelty to both his enemies as well as his allies. And all of this because (at least in the current canon, although the old EU went pretty much the same route) he wants to master the dark side and become immortal.

He is one of the cruelest villains in fiction, and yet like Ridley that makes him such a deep and endlessly fascinating character.

KMDP

Smash Legend
So... Isaac...
Please can we get Isaac?
Everyone should get to experience Isaac.
Come on, just give us Isaac.
Isaac is the best.
All glory to Isaac.
Look, just give us Isaac.

This is a Joke.

MainJPW

M.T.A
So... Mother 3...
Please, Reggie, can we get Mother 3?
Everyone should get to experience Mother 3.
Come on, just give us Mother 3.
Mother 3 is the best.
All glory to Mother 3.
Look, just give us Mother 3.

This is a Joke.
Sorry, got Nintendo E3 2014 vibes.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sashley
Pashley
Eashley
Cashley
Iashley
Ashley
Lashley
Such a wide array of characters!
Sashley is Ashley when she's the Mayor.
Cashley is Ashley after spending too much time with Wario
Lashley is Ashley after spending too much time with Ivy Valentine.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just got home from the theater, anything interesting happen?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is it a misconception that the starting roster for Ultimate will only be the original Smash 64 characters?

That's what it sounded like to me from the trailer, but I read a comment that said that wasn't true.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Is it a misconception that the starting roster for Ultimate will only be the original Smash 64 characters?

That's what it sounded like to me from the trailer, but I read a comment that said that wasn't true.
Sakurai said that it was the starting roster from 64, so it must be true.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Terminan Gerudo and Hylian Gerudo are not the same though, that goes without saying.

Don't worry, you spelled Nabooru right.

Speaking of Nabooru, she actually says herself that she disagrees with the way Ganondorf rules the Gerudo. Just from that we can tell that Ganondorf has a hand in the race's behaviour.
Termina Gerudo aren't the same, thanks.

And yea I personally really got the idea and equivalent feeling of a just cause with reason behind it, being lead by someone who chose a violent solution, and also had ulterior motives. Where most Gerudo might have wanted peace and equality, Ganondorf wanted to take what the Hylians had because he couldn't have it.

Seriously can we get a Zelda series, animated or live??? Like come one. The whole Link doesn't talk part doesn't matter because guess what, Link is literally the least interesting character.

Oh yeah something something smash bros.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

No, they literally say that on the trailer, with a visual representation to go along with it even. How can that be more clear?

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai said it might be. So its only speculation from there. But it seems likely.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Please let the music today be something from Earthbound or Mother 3 please! Earthbound hasn't gotten any blog updates yet despite being a series with more than 1 character.

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai said "your starting roster may be as small as the original n64 roster"
so there is a chance that this wont be the case, however I really hope it is the case, because unlocking characters is one of the best parts of smash for me.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Wait, does the blog get new music the same day every week?

Is this...consistency? In my Smash updates? Was it more likely than I thought?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
There was this post on the Smash Reddit that I thought was cool so here it is.

For any third party characters

1. How iconic is your character within its own company? Would you say it is the #1 most iconic character that they have made? Is your character the protagonist of its own series? Explain.

2. Are both Parties (Companies) open to letting the character be in Smash? Has the creator of the character stated openly that they would allow the use of their IP?

3. Can your Character Dance? Meaning: What is unique about your character? Does your character potentially offer a fighting style that is unique to the roster?

Here's the original post: https://old.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/90zqq0/can_your_most_wanted_character_pass_the_sakurai/
Heihachi Mishima

1. Well, you could say he is a bit more of an antagonist rather than a protagonist. Either way, Heihachi is one of the iconic characters since he debut within the first Tekken game in which he also guest starred in the Playstation 2 version of SoulCalibur II, Namco X Capcom, Playstation All Stars and Project X Zones 1 & 2. In addition, Sakurai did consider having Heihachi Mishima during the development during Smash Wii-U/3DS, but had difficulty implementing his move set in the game.

2. Well, since Bandai Namco is involved within Smash Ultimate. I'm pretty certain that Katsuhiro Harada and the Tekken team will allow them to use Heihachi. As I stated that he was cut from the development on Smash Wii-U/3DS, Sakurai could always turn to Harada and the team for inspiration if required.

3. He can take several move sets inspired from his recent Tekken game. His Final Smash could be based upon his Rage Art move.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

No the starting roster is the original 12, and will unlock the others as you go through the game

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Time for another FORUM GAME

Except this one is kind of good.

Make a reveal trailer for your most wanted newcomer(s). The trailer can have as many characters as you want, ranging from a simple trailer with 1 character (like Megaman or Wii Fit Trainer), to a complex trailer with 5 - 6 characters (like Brawl's reveal trailer).

I'll start:
Smash Logo. Begins with a large shot of Bowser's. Cut to one of the hallways leading up to the throne room. A shadow is jumping between columns, taking down Goombas, Koopas, and other mooks. A lone Shy Guy stands alert, ready for a fight. The shadow vaults over the Shy Guy, taking it's mask off, and says, "I'll reveal your true form!" The shadow stands behind the Shy Guy and stands up, revealing Joker from Persona 5 as he summons Arsen behind him. Newcomer splash: "Joker steals the show!" Commence gameplay. Background music is Last Surprise. Joker's moveset revolves around the use of various Persona that can perform different attacks. Most of his attacks use Arsen, but he also uses series staples like Jack Frost and Jack-o"-Lantern. His final Smash has him pull out his model gun and shoot the opponent(s) in front of him, stunning them. Following that, he uses an All-Out Attack with Ryuji, Ann, and Morgana on those stunned. The post scene is Joker busting into the treasure room, which holds a kidnapped Princess Peach. Behind him you can hear Bowser roar. Trailer end.

I might make one for Sora if I can think of one.
Yeah ya’ll know who I’m gonna make a trailer for:
The trailer starts out with the Smash logo. Immediately following Shulk’s trailer he encounters Metal Face. He tries attacking him with the Monado, but his attacks do nothing to his surprise, when suddenly out of no where, a voice goes “Double Wind!!”, slashing Metal Face, causing him to retreat. Afterwards Shulk gets up and sees the figure, he looks in familiarity, “Wait, you’re alive!?”, the figure turns around to reveal a girl in mechanized armour. “This should be easy!” she says, and immediately after her newcomer splash art says “Fiora Breaks the Tension!!!”. She senses danger, and from no where Pit and Samus show themselves, to which Fiora responds “Better not get careless!” She duals them with Shulk attacking with her Drones, then going on to exclaim, “I’m going all out on this one!!!”. Then cut to gameplay where we’ll see a showcase of some of Fiora’s special moves, her Final Smash, a new stage (Meynyth Shrine), and even some little references to the original Xenoblade. Finally after the Smash Bros logo appears, we cut to Shulk and Fiora after their battle on Meynyth Shrine, as to their horror they see several Mechon approaching, and get their weapons ready and to attack. Fade to black.
A guy can dream and hope can’t he?

SonicMario

Smash Master

Sakurai said it might be. So its only speculation from there. But it seems likely.
Sakurai said "your starting roster may be as small as the original n64 roster"
so there is a chance that this wont be the case, however I really hope it is the case, because unlocking characters is one of the best parts of smash for me.
Sakurai also clarified in the "Smash is Special" famitsu column

I’ve decided to limit the number of fighters initially available to the original Nintendo 64 roster. This will keep the process of unlocking new challengers fun and exciting, but I suppose it’s a bit of a hassle in comparison with other fighting games that allow all players to fight under the same conditions from the get-go.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Termina Gerudo aren't the same, thanks.

And yea I personally really got the idea and equivalent feeling of a just cause with reason behind it, being lead by someone who chose a violent solution, and also had ulterior motives. Where most Gerudo might have wanted peace and equality, Ganondorf wanted to take what the Hylians had because he couldn't have it.

Seriously can we get a Zelda series, animated or live??? Like come one. The whole Link doesn't talk part doesn't matter because guess what, Link is literally the least interesting character.

Oh yeah something something smash bros.
Ganondorf in Wind Waker is a Ganondorf who has had, like, a thousand years to soul search and realise why he did what he did in Ocarina of Time. Some would argue that his goal, bringing Hyrule back to the world, is a noble one; his way of going about it, though, is what's the problem in that game. XD

About Link not talking, it's not that he doesn't talk. It's that he doesn't talk much. He clearly talks to people in Ocarina of Time, because people react to what he says.

Zelda: "What's your name?"
Link: "..."
Zelda: "...'Link'. Hm, somehow it seems strangely... familiar..."

And Link had to have spoken in Breath of the Wild, because Zelda's diary mentions conversations she's had with him; where he explains his mindset to her. :laugh:

I think it's like what Golden Sun did: while Isaac was the player character, you never heard (saw) him speaking, once player control shifted from Isaac to Felix, suddenly Isaac was speaking, and was allowed to show his actual personality.

As long as he's not obnoxious like the... previous talking Links, he'd be fine talking.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Mario f***ing dies
Mario is killed by Waluigi, which makes Princess Peach cry, which causes the Charizard demon sealed away in her body to be released and bring together a bunch of characters from different timelines and chaos to the world.

It's up to Wario, Luigi, and psychic blue Mario from the future to collect the 7 Crystal Stars and save Mario.
Agree to disagree and all that, but you are playing with literal fire, friend.

The original would be okay, though I like the small touches they added for future games (the best IMO being the Black 2/White 2 version for PWT)

A brand new/version 2 remix would also be nice.
Speaking of B2W2, I would absolutely adore if we got more music from that game. Route 23 is really good, but I'd absolutely love a PWT Finals remix.

There's a surprisingly low number of good remixes of that theme, so I'd love to see what an official remix can do.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I think the amount of unlockable characters basically guarantees the single player content to have a lot depth, or at least be more worthwhile than Smash 4. Unless streamlined conditions means that it will only take 200 matches to get every character, and that's the only way to do it.

Please don't let that be the case.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ok, I'm curious.
Do you have a number of these on standby to just enter text for whenever it is needed, or are you just that fast at making these? O_O
xD It is utterly rare of me re-using any of my Ridley reactions, so, yeah, I am kinda fast when doodling him. And I try my best to do it as simple as possible, not caring about it being "perfect", just it being what comes to my mind.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One thing I will give the smash community on these boards is that it seems like everyone's major character picks and most supported fighters are characters that actually have highly tangible reasoning for inclusion. Bandana Dee, K Rool, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Ashley, Banjo, Elma, Rayman, Simon Belmont...even Geno, since Sakurai has shown attention to him with Mii costumes and interviews.

What I'm saying is that I admire that everyone is picking reasonable choices for their most supported characters. Thinking of things like popularity, franchise revitalization, timing of most recent games, actual opinions of Sakurai on record, number of prominent roles in the recent games, the Smash ballot etc. I'm not seeing people vying for characters extensively "just because some people like them". Shows how much these boards have grown and matured. I remember when Krystal was the ONLY viable Starfox entry, and when Geno was supported because he was cool, with no other evidence to suggest he could make it. Of course, supporting these characters has ironically earned them more of the spotlight than before in the franchise so I guess it's not farfetched overall.

Using our logical brains, even with bias added in, is helpful for everyone when it comes to speculation.
Wait.

I would understand if your point was that we think the logical characters are likely.

But what's wrong with supporting a character just because you or others like them?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I kind of hope there's a way to unlock all the characters quickly, I get that it's fun for most people to unlock all the characters but it's going to be a logistical nightmare trying to host tournaments during launch week when like half the set-ups won't have your main on it unless it's a Original 8 or 12 character.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Actually though if there were to be another stage from the first Xenoblade game I would definitely see it being Meynyth Shrine, it perfectly contrasts with Guar Plains and could potentially be a smaller equivalent to the massive Guar Plains.

D

Deleted member

xD It is utterly rare of me re-using any of my Ridley reactions, so, yeah, I am kinda fast when doodling him. And I try my best to do it as simple as possible, not caring about it being "perfect", just it being what comes to my mind.
I remember when you drew a Ridley art of Ridley throwing and Yoshi and ending the game because Zinith said he would enjoy swallowing Ridley with his tongue. :laugh:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Doesn't the picture they use have the original 8? Then it adds the 4 others

He may not have said it, but as they say "A picture is worth a thousand words"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm sorry lad, I have to do it to ya.

We don't know if it's 8 or 12. It's one or the other, no source says which one.
Does it matter? With how many unlocks we'll have to give, lightly breathing on the game will probably unlock a dozen characters right out the gate.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I kind of hope there's a way to unlock all the characters quickly, I get that it's fun for most people to unlock all the characters but it's going to be a logistical nightmare trying to host tournaments during launch week when like half the set-ups won't have your main on it unless it's a Original 8 or 12 character.
Who in their right mind does a Week 1 tournament
at least give it a month man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom