• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
To be fair, look at Wolf's model.

It looks unfinished. Looks good in some areas, but you can tell that it still needs some work done. Especially around the jaw.

Other characters in early stages for the game could've been planned and treated as if they were playable, but then dropped due to various reasons. Time constraints, being too low of priority, etc. If they were dropped as playable during development and delegated into Assist Trophies, it makes sense that their models wouldn't be up to par with most of the current cast. I say most because, again, look at Wolf.

Think of it as a literal progress bar. Characters being developed at different priorities progress through their progress bar faster. If some characters had their progress bar paused/stopped, then their models would make sense.
Dear God, that's like those off-model Roidleys we saw with the Other M style. Where is his lover jawbone?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
So it's like the variation system in Mortal Kombat X? I like the sound of this. Also, sense variations were legal in MKX with no issues, there is no longer any reason to ban Miis or restrict their movesets.
We don’t know if height differences still exist, though. And if they do, then RIP...

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If people were still doubting the end of custom moves, this kills it for sure.

If custom moves we're still selectable for everyone why have this? No it seems they want Miis to be competitively viable (I mean Sakurai said it in the direct) and with the changes to Palutena's specials? Yeah no custom moves this time. I'm personally indifferent to it. Eh.
No more customs really only affect Miis, Mega Man, and especially Palutena (unless they somehow have all of her customs put into one moveset, like how she has a counter/reflect combo)

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
Animation? I think you’re talking about the knockback Speed. It’s fine to be honest, I don’t think it will effect the game too much.

@Zinith, I think I found a new friend for you.
Well the speed is part of the new animation but sure. I guess we’ll have to wait and see then I just don’t really see how with high knockback moves you’re gonna get sent flying so fast how you’re gonna have time to react and DI?

MainJPW

M.T.A
To be fair, look at Wolf's model.

It looks unfinished. Looks good in some areas, but you can tell that it still needs some work done. Especially around the jaw.
That ending shot of Wolf isn’t even the same model as the one from most of his character trailer, that’s the version with early textures and is even shown off in all his screens on the website.

Don’t know if you’ve seen it but I compiled a comparison of it Here.

Assist characters are usually known to have much lower detail, it’s always been that way.
Usually, but have you seen how good Knuckles looks?

D

Deleted member

We don’t know if height differences still exist, though. And if they do, then RIP...
Don't we though? Everything presented so far seems to imply that height and weight are not changed. I guess it's still possible that stats can change for Miis, but even if height and weight are free, guest Miis solves that issue. The point is that there's no reason to lock Miis to one specific set anymore, especially if they do end up being playable online.

If height and weight are variable, I'll end up playing them a lot less, because then I won't be able to sandbag with Rich Evans

Last edited by a moderator:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
If people were still doubting the end of custom moves, this kills it for sure.

If custom moves we're still selectable for everyone why have this? No it seems they want Miis to be competitively viable (I mean Sakurai said it in the direct) and with the changes to Palutena's specials? Yeah no custom moves this time. I'm personally indifferent to it. Eh.
Geez, at this rate I'm pretty sure that the next Smash etheir won't have any CAF or have a more revamped CAF, probably since this is a literal downgrade from the last game (in terms of customizability)

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I think the main reason customs would get the axe is because of them being a balancing nightmare; not to mention some of them were straight up better and others were useless. Smash 4 DLC didn't get customs as well.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
No more customs really only affect Miis, Mega Man, and especially Palutena (unless they somehow have all of her customs put into one moveset, like how she has a counter/reflect combo)
I'm hoping they do this for Palutena but I doubt it. I loved Heavenly Light because it was a lot of fun in multiplayer matches but I have no clue what move that could be mapped to...so it's probably gone :(

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wouldn't mind customs getting removed even though the only real problem I had with them is the equipment (which literally only made sense for Smash Run purposes) and the ****ing hair-pulling way you unlocked new ones by finding it in a sea of dupes of customs you already had. If they removed you having a chance of getting duplicates of customs you already owned, it would make it much more rewarding to get custom moves.

However if customs are getting pulled, I'd rework the Miis into an entirely different character. IMO the Miis were made as an ad for custom moves. With them gone, I'd remake them into something that actually pays homage to games where they star in (Wii Sports, Pilotwings, Miitopia, those numerous Streetpass games, etc. etc.)

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Do you have a source for this? Also, Bowser Jr. was likely the last character completed, as he barely made it in.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:
I don't. I'm posting from my phone and going entirely off memory. I could be way wrong.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly, the only thing I'm going to miss about custom moves are :ultmegaman:'s customs.

They were so much fun to use, with them all being different Robot Master weapons. Especially the Hyper Bomb.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
How does the Mii's having selectable moves prove that Customs are gone? I'm confused. They had them last time too. If anything, having the Mii's NOT having moves to select from would indicate that. I'm really confused, what am I missing?

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the only thing I'm going to miss about custom moves are :ultmegaman:'s customs.

They were so much fun to use, with them all being different Robot Master weapons. Especially the Hyper Bomb.
I'm going to miss Bizarro Monado Arts (inverted buffs/nerfs). It may not officially be part of the game, but it's so fun to have extremely high mobility and kill power with Shield.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Completely random but where is Sheik scarf? In her render she has a very long scarf but in the game it's not there. She has her shorter scarf there.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Are we really discounting custom specials now? I swear I saw Kirby using his ice breath special in one of the screenshots on the site.

See? No vortex, just an icy wind (disregarding the I.C.'s little block). It's a safe assumption to say that custom moves are making a comeback, don't call gloom and doom just yet.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
How does the Mii's having selectable moves prove that Customs are gone? I'm confused. They had them last time too. If anything, having the Mii's NOT having moves to select from would indicate that. I'm really confused, what am I missing?
Mainly, there’s the fact that they stated it specifically for Miis. There’s also the fact that Mii customs are now only available in sets (1111, 2222, and 3333), which implies a lesser emphasis on customization, and how they combined two of Palutena’s specials together.

It is true that we don’t know for certain, but the current evidence is against customs.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Are we really discounting custom specials now? I swear I saw Kirby using his ice breath special in one of the screenshots on the site.

See? No vortex, just an icy wind (disregarding the I.C.'s little block). It's a safe assumption to say that custom moves are making a comeback, don't call gloom and doom just yet.
No that definitely looks like his swallow ability. Ice Climbers is likely across from Kirby and using their down B, making it looking like it's his Ice Breath

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I’m aware some characters look better than others, but usually the playable ones look detailed enough to be looked at as playable characters. Assist characters are usually known to have much lower detail, it’s always been that way.
True, the Assist Trophies do tend to have lower resolution models.

But if you're developing a character into a fully playable fighter, but have to drop them due to time restraints, then you're likely to work with what you have already. If they had only a handful of animations and a working model when they were dropped, then most of the work needed to have them as an Assist Trophy is already done. The quality of their model would depend on how far they were into development when they were dropped.

That ending shot of Wolf isn’t even the same model as the one from most of his character trailer, that’s the version with early textures and is even shown off in all his screens on the website.

Don’t know if you’ve seen it but I compiled a comparison of it Here.
That's actually a really good catch, one that I hadn't noticed. Good eye.

That said, I think Vaanrose put it best. Some of the characters shown were simply made as presentable as they could be for the trailers. The game is still in an unfinished state, and so are many of the playable characters. One of Wolf's models could be the 'Internal Testing Model' whereas the other could be the 'Presentation Model'. However, if Wolf was a bit further behind in development in comparison to others, which makes sense, as they seem to be giving Wolf a extra attention by giving his moveset an upgrade, then they may have just had to make due with that models and footage they had.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace

That looks like the effects of Ice climbers neutral B. It also looks to be on Ice climbers stage as well. The fact they mentioned Palutena specials being streamlined and the with the info regarding the Miis along with the fact custom moves were never mentioned in the reveal makes me believe they're gone due to other things having higher priority

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Looks identical to the Icie's down special to me.

Also, the Icie's projectiles have that same effect.
Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 4.18.30 PM.png

Seems like a fancy snapshot, in no way does it confirm Kirby's custom. Kirby's vortex doesn't have the effect in the startup animation. In addition, why would they simplify Palutena's specials if custom moves came back? Doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Don't we though? Everything presented so far seems to imply that height and weight are not changed. I guess it's still possible that stats can change for Miis, but even if height and weight are free, guest Miis solves that issue. The point is that there's no reason to lock Miis to one specific set anymore, especially if they do end up being playable online.

If height and weight are variable, I'll end up playing them a lot less, because then I won't be able to sandbag with Rich Evans
Have they even shown any Miis other than the default three, though?

Anyway, if differences exist, and one of them that’s not the default turns out to be notably better than the others like the Small Miis in Smash 4, it’ll be bad publicity for them among competitive players even though the guests exist.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm actually super happy that the Miis have this variation.

They're not gonna be banned anymore!

Get hype!!!

D

Deleted member

Have they even shown any Miis other than the default three, though?

Anyway, if differences exist, and one of them that’s not the default turns out to be notably better than the others like the Small Miis in Smash 4, it’ll be bad publicity for them among competitive players even though the guests exist.
The small Miis were broken because of their size. If any of the 3 available movesets are broken as a guest Mii, then they really messed up when balancing them.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm actually super happy that the Miis have this variation.

They're not gonna be banned anymore!

Get hype!!!
Hopefully.

I just have this sinking feeling their transition isn't going to be as smooth as it should be. We'll probably spend most of our time arguing about "One set of specials vs. all three being an option".

Again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hopefully.

I just have this sinking feeling their transition isn't going to be as smooth as it should be. We'll probably spend most of our time arguing about "One set of specials vs. all three being an option".

Again.
Which would be silly, as Mortal Kombat X has 3 sets of special moves for every character, and they were all legal from day one with no issues.

Knowing this community though, arguments will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The small Miis were broken because of their size. If any of the 3 available movesets are broken as a guest Mii, then they really messed up when balancing them.
That’s not my point; my point is that, if small Miis exist in Ultimate and they’re overpowered again, it’ll be bad publicity for all Miis in general even if the ruling is guests only and the small Miis are banned anyway.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Interesting 4chan post. It’s not a leak though:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/425220541

Hello, I am an mid ranking employee of Nintendo. I want to eliminate past and future rumors about the new Super Smash Brothers game. Nintendo saved information on games for only high ranking employees, rumors exist that even parts of the Smash Brothers development team are kept unaware of many details. But secondly, and most importantly, Nintendo has spread massive "spoofed" information to employees, and that information varies from person to person so leakers can be identified. This also means that any legitimate information leaked will is mixed with incorrect information. Nintendo does not have much openness as to who to terminate, but I know of three individuals who were terminated, one who leaked confidential information online and two leaked information to friends and family members. Since the tension is so high as people are afraid of losing their jobs, I do not think many employees will leak info .

They have a task force that checks online and this is a "class 1" website, so please be aware of that.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Which would be silly, as Mortal Kombat X has 3 sets of special moves for every character, and they were all legal from day one with no issues.

Knowing this community though, arguments will happen.
Not to mention we have :ultpokemontrainer: back, meaning we have three entirely different movesets in one.

Yet I'm still not optimistic, knowing this community. :V

Now THIS is a 4chan "leak" I can get behind. :V

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Playable online Mii's would be nice. Making three characters, just to ban them from online play is a waste of time.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hopefully.

Again.
The thing that prevented Miis from being a thing before was mainly the huge variety of choices a TO had to accomodate for.

Now they can just make default Miis with all the movesets and you're golden.

Much less time to set up.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The thing that prevented Miis from being a thing before was mainly the huge variety of choices a TO had to accomodate for.

Now they can just make default Miis with all the movesets and you're golden.

Much less time to set up.
I hope you're right, I really do. You probably are, even.
Smash 4's toxicity with its ruleset all the way up until its "death" has just left me fairly pessimistic, is all. I do hope some change is in order.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly? I can see this being the case, the whole “false info mixed in with true info” sounds like something Sakurai would do to deter leakers and get them in trouble.

I’m gonna guess the 22nd leaker guy was among the people who got fired, since the MK8 DLC and Funko Pops came true, but everything else was fake and boom, busted.

Either way, RIP leaks for the foreseeable future it seems :c we need a Direct or a livestream asap

honestly though? All I really NEED is Elma to be revealed next and I’ll pretty much be content and avoid any more leaks and info until I get the game

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hopefully.

Again.
And then eventually people won't care enough to argue and Miis will be banned again.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ack. So many mentions.

Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa I might take you up on your offer. I'm likely going to need more hands to help me when I go off to college and my IRL responsibilities pick up again. I'm definitely thinking about it.

The only major "leak" killed yesterday was the July 22nd leak and those that corroborated it. "Leaks" have now moved the goalpost to late July/Early August. The first major culling will be at the end of July. The first genocide will be whenever we get another character reveal.

K. Rool and Dixie are currently the most popular duo to be revealed next, but they aren't the only. Simon Belmont, Rayman, Decidueye, and even Alm and Incineroar have all been mentioned as the next newcomers to be revealed.

Also, I found this on 4chan, which I thought might be interesting to you guys:
Hello, I am an mid ranking employee of Nintendo. I want to eliminate past and future rumors about the new Super Smash Brothers game. Nintendo saved information on games for only high ranking employees, rumors exist that even parts of the Smash Brothers development team are kept unaware of many details. But secondly, and most importantly, Nintendo has spread massive "spoofed" information to employees, and that information varies from person to person so leakers can be identified. This also means that any legitimate information leaked will is mixed with incorrect information. Nintendo does not have much openness as to who to terminate, but I know of three individuals who were terminated, one who leaked confidential information online and two leaked information to friends and family members. Since the tension is so high as people are afraid of losing their jobs, I do not think many employees will leak info.

They have a task force that checks online and this is a "class 1" website, so please be aware of that.
This makes sense to me. Smash Bros. is a big game to Nintendo and it makes sense that they don't want a repeat of the last two games with actual leaks.

Also, hi Nintendo Task Force. I wonder if I make your work easier by consolidating Smash Bros. "leaks." If I do that's pretty cool. Could I get a job interview with you guys maybe? Working for Nintendo would be pretty cool.

Edit: Okay cmbsfm cmbsfm I see how it is. :ultgreninja:'ing me again. One of these days I'll be the one :ultgreninja:'ing YOU!

Last edited:

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly glad they took out custom moves. They development team wasted a lot of time putting them in just to make it hard for the players to unlock them.

If they did add them back then we should be able to use them online in for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom