• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I thought they all didn't have their voices in the videos, they all have sound effects but not the actual voice clips. Anyway the lack of voicework throughout the videos could just be covering for some of them not having their voices in the game yet, it'd be jarring if Snake and Bayonetta were fully voiced in their videos and say, Wario wasn't because they didn't record lines for him yet.
Plus, this happen during Smash 4 as well. The 2013 E3 trailer and the first Smash direct.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
None of the character videos have voices.

Likely to avoid having to edit in voice lines for characters with different voices in different reigons.
The videos tbh seem very early in development as there are some issues in some of them.

Example look at Robin's character trailer and at the end, you can see that Robin is catching an invisible sword.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So much for no new legit leaks...now I’m bored again :c

Anyone have any little scenario games or something?

D

Deleted member

Interesting 4chan post. It’s not a leak though:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/425220541
Funny thing is, this sort of thing kinda means little for the leaks such as this bad boy:

geng1.png

Nintendo would have little control over information like this from an animation company that has done work on trailers...
Gengar is coming, bois.
I've been tryin' to get y'all ready for it. :V

Last edited by a moderator:

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
So much for no new legit leaks...now I’m bored again :c

Anyone have any little scenario games or something?
There was this post on the Smash Reddit that I thought was cool so here it is.

Can your most wanted character pass the "Sakurai" Test?

You must answer each question with detailed answers and not with simple yes or no responses. I have included Sakurai’s quotes to justify my questions. I am also limiting my questions based on what quotes that I can find from Sakurai that way i'm not projecting anything I believe should be asked for the character.

Here are the questions

1. How relevant/popular is your character within the Nintendo franchise? The proposal/planning for Ultimate began circa December 2015. Was your character popular in and around that time?

2. Is your character's franchise already represented in Smash? Do you believe that the franchise is under or over represented? If the franchise is not currently represented in Smash, why do you believe it should be?

3. Can your Character Dance? Meaning: What is unique about your character? Does your character potentially offer a fighting style that is unique to the roster?

For any third party characters

1. How iconic is your character within its own company? Would you say it is the #1 most iconic character that they have made? Is your character the protagonist of its own series? Explain.

2. Are both Parties (Companies) open to letting the character be in Smash? Has the creator of the character stated openly that they would allow the use of their IP?

3. Can your Character Dance? Meaning: What is unique about your character? Does your character potentially offer a fighting style that is unique to the roster?

Here's the original post: https://old.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/90zqq0/can_your_most_wanted_character_pass_the_sakurai/

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

You must answer each question with detailed answers and not with simple yes or no responses. I have included Sakurai’s quotes to justify my questions. I am also limiting my questions based on what quotes that I can find from Sakurai that way i'm not projecting anything I believe should be asked for the character.

Here are the questions

1. How relevant/popular is your character within the Nintendo franchise? The proposal/planning for Ultimate began circa December 2015. Was your character popular in and around that time?

2. Is your character's franchise already represented in Smash? Do you believe that the franchise is under or over represented? If the franchise is not currently represented in Smash, why do you believe it should be?

1. How iconic is your character within its own company? Would you say it is the #1 most iconic character that they have made? Is your character the protagonist of its own series? Explain.

2. Are both Parties (Companies) open to letting the character be in Smash? Has the creator of the character stated openly that they would allow the use of their IP?

Here's the original post: https://old.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/90zqq0/can_your_most_wanted_character_pass_the_sakurai/
I’ll bite for Elma

1. She came around just in time for the roster finalization (May 2015 in Japan) and I’d imagine she was popular then (didn’t bother to check then cause spoilers)

2. Yes, but X is another game in the Xenoblade series, and I’d like to see all three games in the series so far represented

3. Oh, can she! She’d be the first true Twin Sword user (RIP Fiora unless the miracle happens) and she has Dual Guns in addition and her move set can possibly involve swapping them on the fly just like in X!

Also, SKELL FINAL SMASH. :love: you KNOW you want it bruh

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I’ll bite for Elma

1. She came around just in time for the roster finalization (May 2015 in Japan) and I’d imagine she was popular then (didn’t bother to check then cause spoilers)

2. Yes, but X is another game in the Xenoblade series, and I’d like to see all three games in the series so far represented

3. Oh, can she! She’d be the first true Twin Sword user (RIP Fiora unless the miracle happens) and she has Dual Guns in addition and her move set can possibly involve swapping them on the fly just like in X!

Also, SKELL FINAL SMASH. :love: you KNOW you want it bruh
I'm not sure if Sakurai using a mech action figure as an example counts towards her.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Funny thing is, this sort of thing kinda means little for the leaks such as this bad boy:

View attachment 154092
Nintendo would have little control over information like this from an animation company that has done work on trailers...
Gengar is coming, bois.
Is this company real?

I mean, a surprise character has already been confirmed :ultdaisy:
No.

The surprise character is someone Sakurai puts in the project plan. Look at the blurb on Duck Hunt in the Smash 4 project plan for an example.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So here's a two-part hypothetical.

1. How would you react to a character from Octopath Traveler being added as DLC?
2. Who, if anyone, would you want among the main cast?

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings

1. How would you react to a character from Octopath Traveler being added as DLC?
I'll be the first one to say I haven't played it but if it would get this music into smash then I would even care about that character at all.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ridley would've been the surprise character, but Vergeben kinda stopped that from happening. A lot of people who thought Ridley wouldn't get in Ultimate because Sakurai was still directing are now saying that he was one of the most obvious choices to predict, like they never doubted him for a second. :glare:

I can't complain because Ridley got in Smash and that's ultimately all that matters, but part of me wonders what the reactions would be like if Vergeben didn't leak anything.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if Sakurai using a mech action figure as an example counts towards her.
I’m not sure what the Mech could be used for.

papagenos papagenos made it clear that it might be for Mach Rider, which when looking at it makes sense, however I’m not sure why Sakurai would leak something like that.

However, if it is for Mach Rider and she does get in, then the mech was probably used for her.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
God, I hate those text leaks when they start off with "I'm leaving my job" or "I'm a former employee".

2. None
Scrap it
Get the real chad Final Fantasy that isn't Final Fantasy and grab Tiz.
Throw him in there.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Foot-in-the-Door Characters (Doesn't mean the door can't be slammed shut on said foot)

1. Xenoblade character to further promote series that has momentum on its side
2. Pokemon because always happens
3. DK character because of ballot

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley would've been the surprise character, but Vergeben kinda stopped that from happening. A lot of people who thought Ridley wouldn't get in Ultimate because Sakurai was still directing are now saying that he was one of the most obvious choices to predict, like they never doubted him for a second. :glare:

I can't complain because Ridley got in Smash and that's ultimately all that matters, but part of me wonders what the reactions would be like if Vergeben didn't leak anything.
The surprise characters seem to be retro characters.

Game and Watch and ROB were probably other "surprise characters" too.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Spooky_graphic

Yep. It most indeededly is.

Yeah, Smash 4 isn't listed on this Wiki, but this Wiki isn't entirely reliable and we know they have some work on Smash 4 through at LEAST Corrin's trailer (even if it's mainly re-used from Fates).

The point was just to show that the company exists.
>Only ten employees
Saying you're from that company while leaking sounds like absurdly risky info to give away, wouldn't it be really easy for them to figure out who did it?

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

1. Not sure! I REALLY like the game, but I don't know if I necessarily want a character from it in Smash.
2. H'aanit. She's my favorite character so far (closely followed by Ophilia). I'd love her simply because of her summon beast ability. Plus, she can wield an ax, which I don't think is actually a weapon that any character has yet. Also, she has a bow and lightning magic, so she's got a pretty huge arsenal for moveset potential.

But I am not sure if this is fair, since I haven't gotten to Primrose or Alfyn's chapter 1 stories yet... and I'm like 14 hours in... lol. This game has a lot of stuff in it.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

That is usually the case.

Mach Rider seems to fit bill for being a surprise character as well, and if he wants to go the extra mile, Ayumi.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Do you guys think Best Buy could do another Smash Fest? I was hoping they'd have Smash Bros Ultimate Demo Kiosk like they did for Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

Any "surprise" character to their vein would not be officially revealed to the public until after release, so we'd literally have to wait until the game releases (barring any leaks, since those aren't official reveals) to know whether one exists, I'm afraid.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'll be the first one to say I haven't played it but if it would get this music into smash then I would even care about that character at all.
Goddamn man wouldn't you want to spoiler that **** even if it's a track

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280

View attachment 154092
Gengar is coming, bois.
That would be incredibly disappointing. All the Gen 1 Pandering is bad enough in Pokémon itself, passing up all the cool Gen 7 Pokémon for some washed up Kanto Pokémon would be infuriating.

Here are the questions

[/QUOTE]

(I'm doing my Number 2, Kamek. Marx is so unlikely I don't even feel like talking abut him)

1. Yeah, he's decently popular and relevant. New Island and Wolly World recently released and featured him as the main antagonist.

2. Yoshi only has the titular character, so it's severely underrepresented. While it's not the most important series out there, it should get another character. He also has a decent Main Mario series career of NSMB Wii and U.

3. Yes, he would be unique. Aside from Zelda and maybe Robin, we don't have a Mage character yet. Kamek and Magikoopas use spells and a broom, which is completely new to the roster. Honestly it's just a race between him and Ashley.

Last edited:

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I’m not sure what the Mech could be used for.

papagenos papagenos made it clear that it might be for Mach Rider, which when looking at it makes sense, however I’m not sure why Sakurai would leak something like that.

However, if it is for Mach Rider and she does get in, then the mech was probably used for her.
Awesome, didn't know that could fit for mach rider as well. At the very least, we know that one more newcomer is getting in. Two if the Simon leak is real (which I think is likely). Three if the Bandana Dee datamine is real.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

View attachment 154092
Gengar is coming, bois.
Well, I might have fallen for a joke leak, but if it's not:
I'm only 90% sure this one is fake. (I'm usually 99% sure). I think it's fake, but it's definitely a lot better than many of the other ones. Was Spooky Graphic credited in Smash 4? It looks like it's a real company. Pretty clever fake leak, imo. But I have to give the guy credit.

Edit: Ninja'd about Spooky Graphics being credited.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>Only ten employees
Saying you're from that company while leaking sounds like absurdly risky info to give away, wouldn't it be really easy for them to figure out who did it?
If the employee's not under any NDA and is leaving the company anyway, what can they legally do if he spreads information that he was never under any contract to keep hidden?

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

They probably still would’ve acted the same way due to not having full belief that Ridley is in the game
Then Knuckles would be the perfect character to add to Smash.

Seriously, his theme song kinda lies; Knuckles chuckles in at least a dozen games:

And the only character that actually ever flexes in the games is Mighty:

Don’t ruin this for Sakurai...let him believe normal Knuckles hates fun

The dancing lady I guess...don’t have any consideration in playing the game, but she doesn’t seem to have a great childhood (more traumatized characters in Smash)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Aw hell yeah Wii Fit's considered retro now?

I don't think you should call them surprise characters though. I mean surprise by definition is an unexpected/unpredictable event. Why try to predict the unpredictable? I don't think anybody remembered G&W in 2001, R.O.B. was just considered to be a homage enemy in 2008 as far as my knowledge recalls, and Gematsu was the only one who mentioned WFT pre-2013 E3 and led to everything bowing to him as a prophet or whatever.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings

This is exactly my thoughts I don't understand why people love getting these leaks, Ruins the surprise and hype of a character reveal and makes me totally feel sorry for Sakurai and the development team.

Recently he roasts those leakers and I totally agree with him

“I really didn’t want for this thing we’ve been working on for years to be ruined by someone’s petty sense of self-satisfaction”

D

Deleted member

I don't think you should call them surprise characters though. I mean surprise by definition is an unexpected/unpredictable event. Why try to predict the unpredictable? I don't think anybody remembered G&W in 2001, R.O.B. was just considered to be a homage enemy in 2008 as far as my knowledge recalls, and Gematsu was the only one who mentioned WFT pre-2013 E3 and led to everything bowing to him as a prophet or whatever.
A. Wii Fit is not in this category.
B. Sakurai literally referred to Duck Hunt as Smash Wii U/3DS' "surprise character" in the project proposal.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If the employee's not under any NDA and is leaving the company anyway, what can they legally do if he spreads information that he was never under any contract to keep hidden?
I think they can still sue.

At least I think its endangering the company.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A. Wii Fit is not in this category.
B. Sakurai literally referred to Duck Hunt as Smash Wii U/3DS' "surprise character" in the project proposal.
I beg to differ. Wii Fit Trainer was probably a bigger surprise than Duck Hunt. At least a sizeable amount of people actually supported Duck Hunt pre-2013. :smirk:

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.

Here are the questions

I'll do one for Marx.... but really who else would i do other than my most wanted?

1. He's not relevant to 2015 but he is a popular character and is relevant now, he's also likely to appear in the future since HAL has all the assets to add him in future Kirby games.

2. Kirby is represented but not to the extent of what it should be IMO, I do think it deserves more than what it currently has and I think giving the series an actual villain in Smash could help with Kirby diversity.

3, I mean what doesn't the darn thing have... he's got his ball, he can split in half, cause a black hole, spawn vines, cause an arrow raid, shoot blades from his wings, spit balls from his mouth, perform a shadow sneak like attack, shoot lasers, use the two sides of his body to crush the opposition and so much more.

D

Deleted member

I beg to differ. Wii Fit Trainer was probably a bigger surprise than Duck Hunt. At least a sizeable amount of people actually supported Duck Hunt pre-2013. :smirk:
It literally doesn't matter what you personally think or whether or not you disagree, dude.

Sakurai literally said Duck Hunt was the game's "surprise character" in the project proposal for the game. Not Wii Fit Trainer.
Your point is factually dead in the water.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I do wonder if Sakurai really considers the retro part a hard rule for surprise characters. The three 'surprise' characters we've gotten have been retro characters, which indicates there's a trend towards it, but he doesn't indicate that it's necessary in his decision making for Duck Hunt and gives other reasons for the choice. So theoretically we could get a more recent surprise character, particularly if they check off other criteria for the role.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Mr. Game and Watch was probably the surprise character in melee. He's the last one to unlock in that game. R.O.B. was probably the surprise character in brawl. According to the slot data, R.O.B. comes after all the original brawl newcomers aside from the third parties and before Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Wolf, and the Forbidden 7. Plus, if you go by VS Matches order, R.O.B. is the last original brawl newcomer aside from Sonic to be unlocked by that way. Not to mention nobody including myself didn't expected him to be in.
Source: http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/Instance_Slots

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It literally doesn't matter what you personally think or whether or not you disagree, dude.
Sakurai literally said Duck Hunt was the game's "surprise character" in the project proposal for the game. Not Wii Fit Trainer.
Your point is factually dead in the water.
Retros like :ulticeclimbers::ultpit::ultduckhunt: are surprise/retro characters while a character like :ultwiifittrainer::ultjigglypuff::ultrob::ultgnw: are in the WTF placement (then you got 3rd parties who could technically be both)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom