• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
And that's why the patches exist. To help balance the game post-release and even use the community feedback to do so.
Like, they can release a kind of "broken" game in terms of balance and with patches balance it to make it as fair as possible.
After what happened with Smash 4 when it first released, and it’s current falling state even before Smash Ultimate was revealed, I think they want to avoid something like that.

I’d rather have the game balanced from the geko without having to wait weeks even months before another patch is made, without having to worry about King Dedede not even getting one.

Besides, I’m pretty sure once they’re able to make sure that all the characters and newcomers are fairly balanced they’ll add much more characters during this game’s potential DLC roll out. That’s why I think this game will have more DLC than Smash 4, with at least 10 characters and most likley even more for years to come.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Yup. Back in the day you'd expect a Capcom case in that you get a fighting game that's broken but doesn't get fixed until a later release, yet Smash was always the one exception since every entry is all or nothing in terms of development. Now, since Smash 4, the staffers can afford to fix issues as they go along after the initial release.

The bullet hell attacks gimmick seemed interesting enough. Also, game's the closest the West ever got to having Mother 3, I suppose.

I wouldn't exactly call Papyrus edgy, he's more spaghetti than anything.

Granted, MGS3 literally has someone codenamed 'The Pain', so there's some edge.
I was talking about Sans.
Speaking of Characters in Undertale. I don't understand how people can Like Alphys. When i was playing, i was kinda just playing. but looking back on it, gosh she's annoying.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm still in the camp that 8 non-echo newcomers total is the most realistic limit at this time. I'm not expecting more than 3-5 reveals left.

There just isn't time for more. I'm not even sure we're going to have "secret" characters this time around due to how unlocking works.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
After what happened with Smash 4 when it first released, and it’s current falling state even before Smash Ultimate was revealed, I think they want to avoid something like that.

I’d rather have the game balanced from the geko without having to wait weeks even months before another patch is made, without having to worry about King Dedede not even getting one.

Besides, I’m pretty sure once they’re able to make sure that all the characters and newcomers are fairly balanced they’ll add much more characters during this game’s potential DLC roll out. That’s why I think this game will have more DLC than Smash 4, with at least 10 characters and most likley even more for years to come.
More DLC than ever before is such an exciting prospect! Kirby Star Allies is already making waves with its Dream Friends, so imagine this getting the same treatment.

Speaking of Characters in Undertale. I don't understand how people can Like Alphys. When i was playing, i was kinda just playing. but looking back on it, gosh she's annoying.
Such is the effect of one of the most successful Kickstarter projects, which happened to appeal to furries at the same time.

Not that it'll matter now, as once Battle Princess Madelyn can safely come out, Undertale will be old news.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
There's a blood moon on July 27th that will last for an hour and 43 minutes... you know what that means?

Moblin confirmed

Just kidding. Anyways, I was thinking about this today-- I feel like if King K Rool were in the game, they'd save him for closer to release. Unlike Ridley, he's pretty dang popular in all of the major regions and would be the perfect final reveal for to generate some buzz. Just a thought.

EDIT: This is RE: Putting K Rool as the next reveal (per these bajillion text leaks).

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Just kidding. Anyways, I was thinking about this today-- I feel like if King K Rool were in the game, they'd save him for closer to release. Unlike Ridley, he's pretty dang popular in all of the major regions and would be the perfect final reveal for to generate some buzz. Just a thought.
This is my feeling as well. The built up anticipation and demand will only explode even moreso the later he's revealed.

Which sucks for those of us who have him as their last major character request and just want closure.

:confused:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There are two things I'm pretty darn confident about.

1. At least one secret character (potentially an echo).
2. One surprise character (Sakurai has put one in every Smash game and according to the Smash 4 project plan, he sets a spot aside for it. )

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
There's a blood moon on July 27th that will last for an hour and 43 minutes... you know what that means?

Moblin confirmed

EDIT: This is RE: Putting K Rool as the next reveal (per these bajillion text leaks).
This is my feeling as well. The built up anticipation and demand will only explode even moreso the later he's revealed.

Which sucks for those of us who have him as their last major character request and just want closure.

:confused:
Just interesting to note..but Sakurai has never done this. With Brawl and Smash 4 the last characters revealed before release we're Olimar and Shulk...definitely not most wanted material. I'm expecting a DK character reveal to be next, but hey you never know marketing could change. I'm personally expecting more niche characters closer to release.....mayyyybe a 3rd party because when else?

It's weird to try to predict reveals with such a short time frame.

StormC

Smash Hero
Just interesting to note..but Sakurai has never done this. With Brawl and Smash 4 the last characters revealed before release we're Olimar and Shulk...definitely not most wanted material. I'm expecting a DK character reveal to be next, but hey you never know marketing could change. I'm personally expecting more niche characters closer to release.....mayyyybe a 3rd party because when else?

It's weird to try to predict reveals with such a short time frame.
The difference is how reveals are being handled this time. I think the better comparison is DLC, where it's very possible there are no "secret" characters this time around and they close out on a big hype reveal.

If there are secret characters I don't see it being just one echo or anything like that. The whole point of echo characters is to be upfront about them this time around - Sakurai knows how disappointed fans were that Dark Pit and Dr. Mario were "desserts" last time. Now with echoes they can be revealed at any time and generate hype because people have put a little spot for them in their brains instead of "OMG Dark Pit stole Ridley's spot!!!"

Because there are less newcomers period, I feel we are going to know all of them before the game is out. Less chance of a leak too.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Doubt it's real but because I'm desperate for news here's a new leak:

https://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/425199581

It's probably fake (I mean it says friggin' Boney had a presence in the Ballot) but it's the effort that counts.
From what I've heard, Waluigi seems to be Sakurai's favorite Mario character and the one he identifies with most, but he doesn't want to be the one to add him because he is afraid he is too biased. I've heard the recent and hateful Waluigi backlash left him with very mixed emotions.
This is too funny

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

2. One surprise character (Sakurai has put one in every Smash game and according to the Smash 4 project plan, he sets a spot aside for it. )
Maybe the secret character will also be the suprise character, like Duck Hunt in Smash 4.

I could see 1 suprise newcomer and the remaining echoes (probably only 2-3 more) staying secret til launch.

Also I’m starting to warm up to the idea that Mach Rider will be the suprise character/retro rep (assuming we get one)

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Oh yeah definitely. I think we'll get some other characters. somewhere between 5-12, like i said earlier (Including Echos, and DLC, not 5-12 NEW CHARACTERS)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If Krystal and Bomberman were meant to be playable then why aren't their models as high-res as the actual playable characters?

Just saying.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just interesting to note..but Sakurai has never done this. With Brawl and Smash 4 the last characters revealed before release we're Olimar and Shulk...definitely not most wanted material.
Technically the final reveal of Brawl was Wolf, since he was entirely secret. And I think he was a pretty popular request among the community. Plus, Olimar was still a very cool addition from popular Nintendo property.

Shulk, if my understanding is right, was last simply because he was the last one finished. Wasn't he added after the initial roster was decided?

If Krystal and Bomberman were meant to be playable then why aren't their models as high-res as the actual playable characters?

Just saying.
Not saying I believe the leak, but adding final textures is like the last part before fine-tuning the character for balance. When a character's in concept, it's just polygons and hitboxes.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Maybe the secret character will also be the suprise character, like Duck Hunt in Smash 4.

I could see 1 suprise newcomer and the remaining echoes (probably only 2-3 more) staying secret til launch.

Also I’m starting to warm up to the idea that Mach Rider will be the suprise character/retro rep (assuming we get one)

hurray more mach rider support!

yeah i just feel mach checks off the "surprise" and the "retro" spot really well, while at the same time being somewhat likely but few would guess it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wait.

The pun loving, prankster that teases his brother nonstop and has a dedicated beat for bad puns is edgey?

Shulk, if my understanding is right, was last simply because he was the last one finished. Wasn't he added after the initial roster was decided?
We have no reason to believe that Shulk was the last one added.

If I'm remembering right, it looks like Bowser Jr. was last as there were comments that he was barely put in.

D

Deleted member

Wasn't he added after the initial roster was decided?
Do you have a source for this? Also, Bowser Jr. was likely the last character completed, as he barely made it in.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
I just don't know if we can say character additions are going to follow certain patterns and niches this time around.

"There has to be a retro character/Pokemon character/surprise character because every Smash game before has done this." (except not really 64)

There has never been a Smash game where the focus was mostly on old characters and stages. While Sakurai certainly has consistencies across games, I don't believe he's just going to keep doing what he did just for the sake of it. If he doesn't feel there's a character that warrants being in besides fulfilling some arbitrary quota ("I'll put Mach Rider in because I need a retro character"), he won't put them in.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm still not worried about the number of newcomers, and I really don't think anyone should start freaking out just yet. I've been seeing people say we might only get five more characters at best, despite the fact that all we really know about this Smash game is (1) everyone is returning, and (2) we're getting a bunch of returning stages.

I know I'm repeating what I've already said numerous times, but calm down and put your pessimism aside until we learn more about this game. We're less than six months away and we still know squat about the new modes, new stages, new trophies, new online features (which will definitely be something Nintendo will want to touch thanks to their new service), and the dozens of returning features from other Smash games (Classic, Home-Run, Challenges, etc.). Saying there's not enough time to reveal more than five new characters seems laughable when you look at everything else that hasn't been touched yet.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Technically the final reveal of Brawl was Wolf, since he was entirely secret. And I think he was a pretty popular request among the community. Plus, Olimar was still a very cool addition from popular Nintendo property.

Not saying I believe the leak, but adding final textures is like the last part before fine-tuning the character for balance. When a character's in concept, it's just polygons and hitboxes.
I said final reveal before release. Yes wolf was technically last revealed but it was after the game was out. Olimar was the last newcomer revealed before Brawl's release.

People were discussing that a big character reveal before release is possible, and while it is, it hasn't happened before. However with how short of a time frame we have this would be the game to do it with. It just shouldn't be expected either.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Just saying.
To be fair, look at Wolf's model.

It looks unfinished. Looks good in some areas, but you can tell that it still needs some work done. Especially around the jaw.

Other characters in early stages for the game could've been planned and treated as if they were playable, but then dropped due to various reasons. Time constraints, being too low of priority, etc. If they were dropped as playable during development and delegated into Assist Trophies, it makes sense that their models wouldn't be up to par with most of the current cast. I say most because, again, look at Wolf.

Think of it as a literal progress bar. Characters being developed at different priorities progress through their progress bar faster. If some characters had their progress bar paused/stopped, then their models would make sense.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm still not worried about the number of newcomers, and I really don't think anyone should start freaking out just yet. I've been seeing people say we might only get five more characters at best, despite the fact that all we really know about this Smash game is (1) everyone is returning, and (2) we're getting a bunch of returning stages.

I know I'm repeating what I've already said numerous times, but calm down and put your pessimism aside until we learn more about this game. We're less than six months away and we still know squat about the new modes, new stages, new trophies, new online features (which will definitely be something Nintendo will want to touch thanks to their new service), and the dozens of returning features from other Smash games (Classic, Home-Run, Challenges, etc.). Saying there's not enough time to reveal more than five new characters seems laughable when you look at everything else that hasn't been touched yet.
Most of that I suspect is going to be touched upon in the inevitable Smash Direct. The difference is I don't feel they're going to suddenly go hog wild and announce tons of characters at once within the next five months. They were perfectly content to give us nothing between the Inkling tease and E3.

I'll believe more than 5 when I see it.

Troykv

Smash Master

It's probably fake (I mean it says friggin' Boney had a presence in the Ballot) but it's the effort that counts.
Anything is fake unless is prove for Nintendo themselves...

But I have to admit this Rumor speaks truth about how Character Selection would ended up working based in the trends we know about Ultimate.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Wait.

The pun loving, prankster that teases his brother nonstop and has a dedicated beat for bad puns is edgey?

We have no reason to believe that Shulk was the last one added.

If I'm remembering right, it looks like Bowser Jr. was last as there were comments that he was barely put in.
If Sans counts as edgy, then it just goes to show that "edgy" is a meaningless buzzword.
I'm referring to the Genocide route, and how everyone thinks he's edgy when he's really not...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
To be fair, look at Wolf's model.

It looks unfinished. Looks good in some areas, but you can tell that it still needs some work done. Especially around the jaw.

Other characters in early stages for the game could've been planned and treated as if they were playable, but then dropped due to various reasons. Time constraints, being too low of priority, etc. If they were dropped as playable during development and delegated into Assist Trophies, it makes sense that their models wouldn't be up to par with most of the current cast. I say most because, again, look at Wolf.

Think of it as a literal progress bar. Characters being developed at different priorities progress through their progress bar faster. If some characters had their progress bar paused/stopped, then their models would make sense.
I’m aware some characters look better than others, but usually the playable ones look detailed enough to be looked at as playable characters. Assist characters are usually known to have much lower detail, it’s always been that way.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Well looks like it's confirmed it's 3 pre-determined set of moves for each of the 3 Mii Fighters.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I still think we'll get around 8-10 newcomers (excluding Echoes).

64. Inkling
65. Ridley
66. King K. Rool
67. Dixie Kong
68. Chorus Kids
69. Geno
70. Belmont
71. Mach Rider
72. Elma
73. Pokemon

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Well looks like it's confirmed it's 3 pre-determined set of moves for each of the 3 Mii Fighters.
If people were still doubting the end of custom moves, this kills it for sure.

If custom moves we're still selectable for everyone why have this? No it seems they want Miis to be competitively viable (I mean Sakurai said it in the direct) and with the changes to Palutena's specials? Yeah no custom moves this time. I'm personally indifferent to it. Eh.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Most of that I suspect is going to be touched upon in the inevitable Smash Direct. The difference is I don't feel they're going to suddenly go hog wild and announce tons of characters at once within the next five months. They were perfectly content to give us nothing between the Inkling tease and E3.

I'll believe more than 5 when I see it.
To be fair, if Sakurai's goal was to keep the surprise of "everyone's returning", then showing off anything Smash-related would've jeopardized that wish.

In terms of announcements, there's not really much of a reason for us to follow the patterns of Brawl and Smash 4's reveals. In the short time we've known of its existence, this new Smash game has broken so many old patterns. Heck, a whopping 69 characters were revealed at E3, along with over 70 different stages. Maybe we could get a newcomer every month. Maybe we'll get two or three presentations where multiple characters are revealed. Maybe the website will randomly drop newcomers on us with very little precedence. Who know? At this point, anything could happen.

D

Deleted member

So it's like the variation system in Mortal Kombat X? I like the sound of this. Also, sense variations were legal in MKX with no issues, there is no longer any reason to ban Miis or restrict their movesets.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Sakurai and HAL thought some ideas for Bandana Dee's moveset, but then they were used for Star Allies? lol
It's the same moveset from Return to Dream Land.

If Sans counts as edgy, then it just goes to show that "edgy" is a meaningless buzzword.
Ow the edge, calm down, edgy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom