• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What's so weird about revealing a white-haired lady with a mech and realistic weapons together with an anthro overweight crocodile king? They go together hand-in-hand if you ask me.
Well...(and I’m probably late, something came up) but

Remember Greninja’s trailer that also showed off Charizard sans PT? And also Robin/Lucina? What do those trailers have in common?

That’s right, both characters showcased (I.e. with tag lines) are from the same origin series.

And before anyone says “B-but Robin/Lucina’s trailer also had Captain Falcon!” Here’s a rebuttal: one, Falcon’s a long running, unmodified veteran. Two, it was also the anniversary of one of his games at the time iirc.

Plus, they have to show SOME veterans in a newcomer trailer (or in Charizard’s case for 4, modified veteran’s), hence also Mario, Kirby, Olimar and co. in the Greninja trailer.

elephant13

Smash Apprentice
I figure it's probably the consensus but man I really hope Custom Moves are gone (except for the Mii's I guess)

Probably within the top 5 most frustrating things about Sm4sh

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
New game!

Come up with a Smash Reveal schedule for each month, each Direct having two characters who are related via some concept. They can't be from the same series.

Bonus idea: Don't state the characters' conceptual relationship, let other people try and guess what they are. :laugh:
July: Isaac and Amaterasu
August: K. Rool and Shantae
September: Geno and Shadow the Hedgehog
October: Ashley and Simon Belmont
November: Dixie Kong and Miles "Tails" Prower
July: K Rool and Dixie
August: Banjo and Kazooie
September: Viridi
October: Shadow, Ashley, and Simon
November: Captain Toad
December: ...EVERYONE including Ice Man Etika

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Honestly I'm not trying to even think about DLC too much yet, the main game ain't finished. Still Isaac, Incineroar, Dixie and either Simon/Heihachi are what I'm really pulling for. Dark Samus would be cool too, but I'd rather the character be like Wolf and less like Dark Pit.

Though I guess since I'd want Spring Man to be playable, DLC might be his best bet.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Koopaul Koopaul Dracyoshi made a comprehensive moveset idea that sounds interesting enough.

Besides that, gave more information on what the uses of the some characters is. Though to be fair, it doesn't really refute my point of Alph and Olimar being identical, but it might work as an Echo idea(I would rather have a proper clone with unique properties and more Pikmin to keep it interesting myself, but eh). Hopefully you read this before the other one, since I think it's best we agree to disagree on some things and move on. Sound fair?
Indeed we will have to agree to disagree. I think at the end of the day we arguing two different things anyway. My argument was that they absolutely could make Alph an echo if they wanted to and have no good reason not to. And your argument is that they didn't want to and had reasons for why.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly I'm not trying to even think about DLC too much yet, the main game ain't finished. Still Isaac, Incineroar, Dixie and either Simon/Heihachi are what I'm really pulling for. Dark Samus would be cool too, but I'd rather the character be like Wolf and less like Dark Pit.

Though I guess since I'd want Spring Man to be playable, DLC might be his best bet.
Considering how much pressure development team is under, I wouldn't expect semi clones, much less one like Wolf.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
New game!

Come up with a Smash Reveal schedule for each month, each Direct having two characters who are related via some concept. They can't be from the same series.

Bonus idea: Don't state the characters' conceptual relationship, let other people try and guess what they are. :laugh:
What do Geno and Shadow have in common?

Mine:
July: Ashley and Mimikyu (spooky, ghosts)
August: K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie (Rare)
September: Chrom and Rex (swords)
October: Simon and Isaac (I don’t know I just think it works thematically; two light warriors I guess)
November: Porky and Skull Kid (puppets for god-like evils)

So, i know nothing about FE, and one thing confuses me. Is Lucina Marth? Like, The same Marth from the first game.
No. She’s a descendant. She does pretend to be Marth for the beginning part of Awakening, but she’s a descendant just like Chrom.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
What do Geno and Shadow have in common?

Mine:
July: Ashley and Mimikyu (spooky, ghosts)
August: K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie (Rare)
September: Chrom and Rex (swords)
October: Simon and Isaac (I don’t know I just think it works thematically; two light warriors I guess)
November: Porky and Skull Kid (puppets for god-like evils)

No. She’s a descendant. She does pretend to be Marth for the beginning part of Awakening, but she’s a descendant just like Chrom.
Ah, i see i see.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
if there was 2 a week i'd probably call this

July: K rool and Dixie
August: Waddle Dee and Isabelle
September: Decidueye and Elma
October: Impa and Skull Kid
November: Rayman and Simon Belmont
Hidden characters: Dillon, Chorus Kids, Ninten.

Also a model reveal for spring man in november

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The only way we could predict how many characters are going in is if we had a rough idea how long it takes to make a newcomer. In general. Then factor in things like what other modes are being made. We have no idea at this point what the game has in store for us besides "Everyone is Here" so it's quite difficult to predict the number of newcomers. Remember there more to making Smash than just adding characters, and that takes up development time. What Sakurai decides to prioritize is ultimately on him amd we can't say whether or not he wants to do this or that with the time and team he has.

At the end of the day we don't have enough information.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The only way we could predict how many characters are going in is if we had a rough idea how long it takes to make a newcomer. In general. Then factor in things like what other modes are being made. We have no idea at this point what the game has in store for us besides "Everyone is Here" so it's quite difficult to predict the number of newcomers.

That is true. We don't have much to go off of. I think we had about 25 New characters in Smash 4, So I'm gonna half that because he said not to expect too much. And Sakurai likes to surprise his Fans, so I'm adding a bit on, AND there's DLC...

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
That is true. We don't have much to go off of. I think we had about 25 New characters in Smash 4, So I'm gonna half that because he said not to expect too much. And Sakurai likes to surprise his Fans, so I'm adding a bit on, AND there's DLC...
Pretty sure we got 21 new characters in smash 4

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The only way we could predict how many characters are going in is if we had a rough idea how long it takes to make a newcomer. In general. Then factor in things like what other modes are being made. We have no idea at this point what the game has in store for us besides "Everyone is Here" so it's quite difficult to predict the number of newcomers. Remember there more to making Smash than just adding characters, and that takes up development time. What Sakurai decides to prioritize is ultimately on him amd we can't say whether or not he wants to do this or that with the time and team he has.

One of the best guesses we have as to how long it takes is via how long it takes fans to make a full custom character mod for an existing Smash game, and then make guesses as to how it’d take more or less time based on the number of devs, ect.
Apparently, it took around 700 hours to make the animations for PM Mewtwo from scratch, and that’s just the animations.

The other best guess we have is the amount of time between Smash 4 Mewtwo’s reveal and release, if we assume they just started working on it around its reveal and that they had to make it mostly from scratch, although of course they had a smaller team for DLC.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pretty sure we got 21 new characters in smash 4
I think it’s really 19.

Villager, Mega Man, Miis, Greninja, WFT, RosaLuma, Little Mac, Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt - 13

Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta - 4, brings total count up to 17

The new clones, Lucina and Dark Pit - 2, brings total up to 19

Roy, Mewtwo and Lucas don’t count cause they were returning veterans, albeit via DLC, and Charizard doesn’t count either cause he’s 1/3 of Pokémon Trainer with some modifications for 4 cause PT in full had implementation issues

Orrr...it could also be 21 if you count the three Mii fighters separately, too. For some reason, I don’t. Probably cause I almost never use Miis and the three types share the same slot on the roster select

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
One of the best guesses we have as to how long it takes is via how long it takes fans to make a full custom character mod for an existing Smash game, and then make guesses as to how it’d take more or less time based on the number of devs, ect.
Apparently, it took around 700 hours to make the animations for PM Mewtwo from scratch, and that’s just the animations.

The other best guess we have is the amount of time between Smash 4 Mewtwo’s reveal and release, if we assume they just started working on it around its reveal and that they had to make it mostly from scratch, although of course they had a smaller team for DLC.
Oh no you can't do that. For one a lot of Smash mods use preexisting models while Sakurai's dev team makes them from scratch. Also the time it takes to make a completely original character is probably different than what it takes to bring back a veteran with a pre-existing moveset. They have to come up with a ton of new move ideas from the ground up you know. Then they have to test them. There's probably moves and animations for brand new characters that they have to scrap because it didn't work right. There's tons of factors to consider.

Last edited:

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
I think it’s really 19.

Villager, Mega Man, Miis, Greninja, WFT, RosaLuma, Little Mac, Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt - 13

Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta - 4, brings total count up to 17

The new clones, Lucina and Dark Pit - 2, brings total up to 19

Roy, Mewtwo and Lucas don’t count cause they were returning veterans, albeit via DLC, and Charizard doesn’t count either cause he’s 1/3 of Pokémon Trainer with some modifications for 4 cause PT in full had implementation issues

Orrr...it could also be 21 if you count the three Mii fighters separately, too. For some reason, I don’t. Probably cause I almost never use Miis and the three types share the same slot on the roster select
I counted each different Mii fighter as a different character as they have different movesets. So Brawler, Gunner, and Swordfighter are separate.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly not expecting any reveals until late August, and even then I would be surprised. That being said, I guess EVO provides an interesting opportunity to announce something. Maybe if we're really lucky...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Any noteworthy game anniversaries this week? They could drop a surprise trailer for the anniversary of a game represented in Smash, a la with Robin (which iirc was also on the anniversary of another Fire Emblem game aside from the anniversary of I think F-Zero X in Japan hence CF’s cameo in said trailer)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I have a feeling this time we won't see anything new until a Nintendo Direct. Probably in the fall. Then we will get one last info dump before the release of the game. But even then a few surprises will not be shown until people get a copy of the game.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Oh no you can't do that. For one a lot of Smash mods use preexisting models while Sakurai's dev team makes them from scratch. Also the time it takes to make a completely original character is probably different than what it takes to bring back a veteran with a pre-existing moveset. They have to come up with a ton of new move ideas from the ground up you know. Then they have to test them. There's probably moves and animations for brand new characters that they have to scrap because it didn't work right. There's tons of factors to consider.
The preexisting models for some of the mods still had to be made from scratch, even if not by the same people who did the animations and coding.
There are Brawl mods that are completely original / almost completely original in terms of move set, too (such as the Geno, Waluigi, Ridley, ect. mods, although some of those reuse models)
I guess we’d need to do more research into those.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
To be honest, it really isn’t the models that really take time. The people working on Smash are experienced professionals, so making a high quality model wouldn’t take that long, nor is rigging the model or animating it, those usually take around from a couple of days to about a week and a half. Smash Ultimate already has pre existing assets they can use as reference, so it makes the returning veterans even easier to bring back and recreate.

What does take long, and this is coming from NEON’s interview with the Treehouse employee, is the balancing. This is my biggest fear when we had a huge veteran roster, you have so many variables to consider, character interaction, bugs, etc. balancing a 60+ roster is difficult and takes a lot of time from the devs to make sure the game doesn’t have a Brawl Metaknight character, or someone as weak as Brawl Ganondorf.

And because of the fact that they need to make the game as balanced as possible, they didn’t want to add as many newcomers this time around because the more they add, the more they need to balance the game. This game has around at least 2.5 years of development, possibly having more or the same as any Smash game, with no setbacks, they can easily have enough time to add more characters if they wanted to, however they’re not because they wanted to make sure that there is no oversights with this game, and to make this the best experience with all the veterans as possible. However, I do think that expecting just 2-5 unique newcomers is an understatement of the 100 man team of experienced professionals potential. I mean yeah, we can lowball to avoid being disappointed, but really I’m sure they can manage more than that.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So many leaks were killed yesterday?
The major 22nd leaks are dead for sure, including the one that said Cuphead Switch and FF7 Remake Switch.

Didn’t one leak basically say the 22nd presentation was moved to the 27th (Friday)? DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon

At least, I know there was a leak that said K. Rool and Dixie would be next and it would be the 27th.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
New game!

July: King K Rool & Banjo-Kazooie
August: Isaac & Chrom
September: Bandanna Dee & Impa
October: Ashley & Mimikyu
November: Rayman & Dixie Kong

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, it really isn’t the models that really take time. The people working on Smash are experienced professionals, so making a high quality model wouldn’t take that long, nor is rigging the model or animating it, those usually take around from a couple of days to about a week and a half. Smash Ultimate already has pre existing assets they can use as reference, so it makes the returning veterans even easier to bring back and recreate.

What does take long, and this is coming from NEON’s interview with the Treehouse employee, is the balancing. This is my biggest fear when we had a huge veteran roster, you have so many variables to consider, character interaction, bugs, etc. balancing a 60+ roster is difficult and takes a lot of time from the devs to make sure the game doesn’t have a Brawl Metaknight character, or someone as weak as Brawl Ganondorf.

And because of the fact that they need to make the game as balanced as possible, they didn’t want to add as many newcomers this time around because the more they add, the more they need to balance the game. This game has around at least 2.5 years of development, possibly having more or the same as any Smash game, with no setbacks, they can easily have enough time to add more characters if they wanted to, however they’re not because they wanted to make sure that there is no oversights with this game, and to make this the best experience with all the veterans as possible. However, I do think that expecting just 2-5 unique newcomers is an understatement of the 100 man team of experienced professionals potential. I mean yeah, we can lowball to avoid being disappointed, but really I’m sure they can manage more than that.
And that's why the patches exist. To help balance the game post-release and even use the community feedback to do so.
Like, they can release a kind of "broken" game in terms of balance and with patches balance it to make it as fair as possible.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
New game!

August: Rex/Pyra and Elma —

>they can’t be from the same series

...well ****.

Gonna try it legitimately this time:

July: Chrom and either Lloyd Irving or Yuri Lowell
August: Bandana Dee and Dixie
September: Chorus Kids and Elma
October: Simon and Ashley
November: K Rool and....uhhhh...Geno
December: DLC teases - models of Twintelle and Rex/Pyra

July: in addition to his Smash 4 status overall, Chrom was also a Mii costume, like Lloyd. If with Yuri, both Chrom and Yuri were in Project X Zone 2.
August: the up and coming sidekicks
September: this one actually isn’t that deep, it’s with regard to bringing unique mechanics to Smash (Rhythm based mechanic for Chorus Kids, two sets of weapons incl. twin swords for Elma)
October: Halloween, nuff said
November: the fan favorites
December....I believe I made that obvious lmao

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Thanks for this! I'm still looking for that video of Ridley on the Punchout stage where you see his title. Multiple members on here say they've seen it so I'm sure it exists but still no luck :/
So far, I think only 1v1 matches are here, so maybe that video did not have the same conditions.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Thanks for this! I'm still looking for that video of Ridley on the Punchout stage where you see his title. Multiple members on here say they've seen it so I'm sure it exists but still no luck :/
Well there's a picture of it on the Ridley social thread and it's indeed 'cunning god of death' which is the biggest **** energy I have seen in this ****ing franchise

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I’m at SDCC right now and I managed to play as Ridley!

He’s really fun! He’s a bit on the heavy side though, but it helps because his size makes him really subject to a lot of stray attacks.

He’s a bit similar to Charizard in some aspects, but on the whole he’s a pretty different beast. So people who like Charizard or Bowser should be able to enjoy Ridley.

I’ve only played a few matches with Ridley so far, but I’m pretty confident he’s going to be main material for me.

Also, I got visual confirmation on Ridley’s alias for Boxing Ring: View attachment 153689

It is indeed Cunning God of Death. ;)
It was on the Ridley social and here it is! So glad it was the reference instead of Terrifying Space General or something lol.

God this game is doing Ridley good :)

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
It was on the Ridley social and here it is! So glad it was the reference instead of Terrifying Space General or something lol.

God this game is doing Ridley good :)
Isn't it, though? I was never even that big a supporter of Ridley before, but now that he's here and looks as amazing as he does, I'm really excited to play as him. Even replayed Super Metroid to celebrate his playable debut. ;)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And that's why the patches exist. To help balance the game post-release and even use the community feedback to do so.
Like, they can release a kind of "broken" game in terms of balance and with patches balance it to make it as fair as possible.
Yup. Back in the day you'd expect a Capcom case in that you get a fighting game that's broken but doesn't get fixed until a later release, yet Smash was always the one exception since every entry is all or nothing in terms of development. Now, since Smash 4, the staffers can afford to fix issues as they go along after the initial release.

Undertale's "impact" on gaming is that it actively punishes you (mostly via guilt tripping) for taking the murderous options.

Of course, no game before had ever done that before.
The bullet hell attacks gimmick seemed interesting enough. Also, game's the closest the West ever got to having Mother 3, I suppose.

But did that game have edgy skeletons?
I wouldn't exactly call Papyrus edgy, he's more spaghetti than anything.

Granted, MGS3 literally has someone codenamed 'The Pain', so there's some edge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom