• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
"He was talking about what characters newcomers to the franchise will gravitate towards for Smash Bros Ultimate and he said "Characters like Cloud, like Bayonetta, like uh, uh, the Xenoblade characters"

HOLY- I really hope this isn't a translation **** up or something
Is there a recording of it? Japanese is very specific when saying stuff on plural, so this is very very possible to being a translator not being very knowledgeable about the game.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
Late to the question, but I'm most excited to have Wolf back. I hope he has an alternate costume that looks like his brawl design like Ike does. But if not. No big deal. Just happy to have him and Mewtwo!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I got a response:

We are GETTING THERE!
K.Rool and other cartoon characters deconfirmed for not being Animu enough

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I got a response:

We are GETTING THERE!
Well damn, assuming there's no translation error, that's definitely not a slip of the tongue.

A new Xenoblade character was always likely, but a series newcomer is damn near confirmed now. Question is, Elma or Rex & Pyra? I'm predicting the former. Then, if DLC is a thing, perhaps the latter as well.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
so wait, i just saw mario kart dlc, and remembered there was a smash related leak that also said we get mario kart dlc,

how is this rumor/leak going right now?

Just saw that, it's still POSSIBLE the leak is about further mario kart content in a direct, in a similar way it mentioned Lt. Surge while misty hadn't been shown yet, so botw link could be an update that was planned to happen BEFORE showing off the characters in a new direct and the leak only knows whats in the direct. still it certainly hurts the leaks credibility a bit.

I got a response:

We are GETTING THERE!
Oooo sakurai slip up perhaps? there's a plural there! thats huge.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Apparently this is the full context of the XC character matter, this is the transcript of the interview apparently:

"With the Wii U game you start to see more players who have come into Smash Bros. more recently, and they tend to have a real big affinity for some of the newer characters like Bayonetta, like Cloud, and even the Xenoblade characters and things like that."

This interview was conducted by Bill Trinen, not Sakurai. Just found this out. So I guess this relates more to Smash 4 competitive play. But still, the plural with XC characters is suspicious.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Fellas, who's a character that if they were announced as a newcomer, you would absolutely lose your mind over while everyone else would be more neutral and calm about? For me it'd definitely be Toad/Captain Toad. I've been waiting 10 years for this to happen pls Sakurai :(
Ashley, hands down, no contest.
Rayman would be pretty close though.

Last edited:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
The interview is here. It wasn't an interview with Sakurai, but with Bill Trinen.
It couldn't have been a translation error, but considering the context (he was talking about Wii U characters) I think it was just an accidental plural and the name Shulk just wasn't coming to him.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If that was a **** up on Bill's part and he DOES know there are multiple XC characters.

I doubt it's nothing more than Shulk and Elma.

Because that is characters plural.

Rex and Pyra are still as unlikely for base game as they ever were due to timing.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Apparently this is the full context of the XC character matter, this is the transcript of the interview apparently:

"With the Wii U game you start to see more players who have come into Smash Bros. more recently, and they tend to have a real big affinity for some of the newer characters like Bayonetta, like Cloud, and even the Xenoblade characters and things like that."

This interview was conducted by Bill Trinen, not Sakurai. Just found this out. So I guess this relates more to Smash 4 competitive play. But still, the plural with XC characters is suspicious.
Yeah, just watched it too and it doesn't seem like it means anything at all, just him not remembering Shulk's name, since he was clearly talking about Smash 4

I guess the most hype thing he said is that we're getting more information until December lol (and that a demo is probably coming)

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Fellas, who's a character that if they were announced as a newcomer, you would absolutely lose your mind over while everyone else would be more neutral and calm about? For me it'd definitely be Toad/Captain Toad. I've been waiting 10 years for this to happen pls Sakurai :(
Skull Kid 100%, been my most wanted for so long I don't even know anymore

blackghost

Smash Champion
please be both rex/pyra or elma so we can laugh at all our arguments or make it rex and mythra just to be a troll Sakurai.
we know you enjoy it you are fooling anyone.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm just here, not knowing or caring about Xenoblade.
I still don't think Rex and Pyra are getting in though. It's too late in my opinion.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Speaking of Pokemon, will we get a new Pokemon Rep or is Pichu and Trainer returning our lot?

I've started up a few support threads on ones I thought could make it (and who haven't been taken), one sadly debunked. They're in my sig if anyone wants in on those conversations.

Ones I support that aren't listed below are Gardevoir, Blaziken, Lilligant, Mimikyu and the Alola starters
I definitely still supporting Gardevoir.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I've been skimming a lot to catch up, but if all that **** about more anime characters is true, that's a real shame. People really have **** taste these days...

Seriously, a gold-bellied krocodile king and a puppet wizard with a gun for an arm aren't cool?!

EDIT: I can understand/am a fan of Cloud (as FF7 is a masterpiece), but games like Bayonetta and Xenoblade are nowhere near FF7's quality if a game like that was released today.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

All y'all interpreting this as him saying players gravitate to anime characters instead of what he's actually saying, that players gravitate to the newest additions the roster.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I can already tell that this "Xenoblade characters" thing from Bill is going to be the new version of that quote from the Nintendo Canada Employee who said "Rayman and a whole bunch of others" back in the Smash Wii U days.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I've been skimming a lot to catch up, but if all that **** about more anime characters is true, that's a real shame. People really have **** taste these days...

Seriously, a gold-bellied krocodile king and a puppet wizard with a gun for an arm aren't cool?!
Those guys are 90s Cool. The kids these days are all about that New 10s Cool.

(This is a joke).

Noipoi

Howdy!

Chill out man, people liking recent anime characters more than old snes characters they probably don't know about doesn't mean they have **** taste.
It just means they have different tastes, is that a problem for you?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
All y'all interpreting this as him saying players gravitate to anime characters instead of what he's actually saying, that players gravitate to the newest additions the roster.
I just wanted to ****post man...

Still at least this interview will offer a bit of new discussion. Sort of.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

ugly crocodile and a literal doll are definitely less cool than badass dual wielding commander chick with a giant mech :p

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
K.Rool and other cartoon characters deconfirmed for not being Animu enough

What are you talking about? King K. Rool appears in the world's greatest anime.

Gotta say, the English dub of this anime really knew how to make a proper theme song, unlike trash like One Piece's stupid rap.

Of course the Japanese dub is better - "Banana Surama!"

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I just wanted to ****post man...

Still at least this interview will offer a bit of new discussion. Sort of.
Yeah, the new circuitous discussion will be "How likely is Elma after Bill Trinen's slip of the tongue?"

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Interesting detail from the IGN interview is that Bill said "60+" costumes for Kirby...
With the way Nintendo has been trying to avoid leaks and keeping as much information hidden, I’m assuming he is doing that to avoid spoiling how many newcomers there might be.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can already tell that this "Xenoblade characters" thing from Bill is going to be the new version of that quote from the Nintendo Canada Employee who said "Rayman and a whole bunch of others" back in the Smash Wii U days.
The difference is that its Bill.

He knows stuff for sure.

EDIT: I can understand/am a fan of Cloud (as FF7 is a masterpiece), but games like Bayonetta and Xenoblade are nowhere near FF7's quality if a game like that was released today.
You know, stuff like this just makes me want K.Rool and Geno less.

You have an attitude problem.

You can dislike things without being salty dude.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
This is more or less what Bill said

"With the Wii U game you start to see more players who have come into Smash Bros. more recently, and they tend to have a real big affinity to some of the newer characters like Bayonetta, like Cloud, and uh, and even uh, you know the uh Xenoblade characters and things like that."

He was referring to characters who debuted in the Wii U version, and it seemed like he couldn't think up Shulk's name, so he just said Xenoblade characters, and as a slip of the tongue he said characters plural.

It probably means nothing.

Wambo

Smash Ace
ugly crocodile and a literal doll are definitely less cool than badass dual wielding commander chick with a giant mech :p
Yeah, you're right. That's such an original and unique concept. Wowee, I've never seen a cool badass anime chick with a giant mech before...

Oh, wait... It's like that's been a thing for years or something...

(Not even the best character from Gunbuster, but I'm sure you get my point)

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I'm honestly struggling to think of a better case in gaming of where a supporting character took over the franchise like Isabelle did.

It's sort of a hard thing to ignore no matter the pacifist nature of the franchise or her character.
Pokemon in general
Undertale(Sans)
Megaman X(Zero)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
A conversation about how anime fans have no taste compared to 90s video game characters?

My god, a cute remark by me would be so obvious and predictable y'all are probably groaning just imagining me saying it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom