• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
As a kid I totally assumed Digimon was just an off-brand copycat/competitor of Pokémon.
Because I was browsing /v/ and came across it (don't ask why I'm on 4chan...I can't really answer that because I'm not sure why either), please be sure to take any leak with a massive grain of salt. It's not at all difficult to fake certain types of leaks.

If the ESRB leak taught us anything, it should be to consider most leaks (unless backed by information or proved to some extent like Vergeben has been thus far) fake until proven legitimate.

Here's the latest example from /v/. It's obviously a joke but I figured I'd post it anyway:
View attachment 153609
:laugh:

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
As a Team Fortress 2 fan and a fan of enemy species designs, I can honestly say I'm more than down for this. I do like that Sombrero Goomba is actually a legit thing though.
"Meet The Baddies"

I kind of like that, if they'd do badass character videos for these baddies like the entire Meet The Crew-videos overall.

"Spitting's a good job mate.

It's challenging work, outerdoors.

I guarantee you'll not go hungry - 'Cause at the end of the day, long as there's two mooks left on the planet, someone is gonna want someone dead."

- Top Hat Octorok
Daisy also isn’t as thicc as Peach is

You're really missing out young man.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei I remember that game you posted yesterday about the five questions for five series thing. Got any ideas for round 2?
Okay.

Let's do third parties this time.

Just so everyone remembers, here are the five questions.

1. How excited are you for this potential character, identity wise? Meaning who the character is and what they represent.
2. How excited are you for this potential character's potential moveset?
3. How excited are you for a potential stage from this series?
4. How excited are you for potential items and assist trophies from this series?
5. How excited are you for potential music from this series?

I'll even give you lots of franchises to do.

Today's franchises will be...

Castlevania
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tekken
Tale of
Soul Calibur
Tomb Raider
Dragon Quest
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Guys, just thought of something.

If we ever end up with Rayman and the Rabbids, do you think they would be considered to be from different series, i.e. Mario and Yoshi/DK/Wario?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Man all this talk of Dark Dawn reminded me how cool the cinematic summons were.
I'm honestly having difficulty remembering if any DS games looked better than these.

Do you think Matthew could work as a Golden Sun rep? I know Isaac seems to always come to mind, but maybe others could work.

?????????????

Smash Master
Do you think Matthew could work as a Golden Sun rep? I know Isaac seems to always come to mind, but maybe others could work.
Isaac was in all three games, and was the star of the most successful one.

Matthew could definitely work, but I don’t see why he would be picked over Isaac.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Matthew could definitely work, but I don’t see why he would be picked over Isaac.
Well, yeah, I knew people would say that. I get that Isaac is more possible, and perhaps I want him more than any other character from his franchise, but I was wondering if any other character even had a chance. More exposure does generally give better chances, so I agree with you there.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Okay.

1. How excited are you for this potential character, identity wise? Meaning who the character is and what they represent.
4. How excited are you for potential items and assist trophies from this series?

Castlevania
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tekken
Tale of
Soul Calibur
Tomb Raider
Dragon Quest
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Not a fan of adding more 3rd Parties, but there's a particular franchise I'll cover. Castlevania is the only franchise on the list that'd be moderately interesting to see in Smash. The rest I have zero interest in whatsoever, and aren't worth covering.

1) I'd say Simon Belmont is the frontrunner for the series, so I'm going to assume he'd be the newcomer. So, identity wise, I don't really have much to add. He'd be a great retro pick, disregarding the fact that he's another 3rd Party. As for who Simon Belmont is and what he represents, a vampire killer in general would be cool to see. Although I'd be curious as to what aspects of Castlevania would and wouldn't be added, seeing as some aspects of the series draw from religious context. Such as a Cross, weapons having holy attributes, etc. Excitement would be moderately low, due to it being another 3rd Party franchise, but its better than many other options.

2) Moveset wise, I think Simon would be the most interesting out of any potential 3rd Party newcomer. Lots of tools and weapons available to use from the Castlevania series. Whip, Dagger, Axe, Stopwatch, Holy Water, Cross, etc. Although, as previously said, I'm curious if some weapons like the latter two would have to be passed up on. Excitement for his moveset would, in the end, depend on what it is, and how effective it is. Would suck for Simon to be a bad character, but it'd be even worse if he'd end up breaking the game like two specific Smash 4 DLC characters.

3) There's plenty of potential for stages, but the one that comes to mind for me would be Dracula's Castle. My excitement for the stage would, once again, depend on what exactly it is and how it is executed. Fortunately, with hazards being toggle-able, any possible stage-hazards aren't too big of an issue.

4) Castlevania has a good assortment of tools that could be used as items, though I can't pinpoint which would be most likely. However, there's plenty of potential for Assist Trophies. Dracula would be a likely candidate if he isn't made into a stage entity, either in the background or as a hazard. Otherwise, I think Alucard could also find his way in as an Assist Trophy.

5) The music from Castlevania should speak for itself. Any faithful remix in high quality would be amazing to hear. Bonus points if there's a hard rock/metal remix made as well.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Nsh man.
Not a fan of adding more 3rd Parties, but there's a particular franchise I'll cover. Castlevania is the only franchise on the list that'd be moderately interesting to see in Smash. The rest I have zero interest in whatsoever, and aren't worth covering.

1) I'd say Simon Belmont is the frontrunner for the series, so I'm going to assume he'd be the newcomer. So, identity wise, I don't really have much to add. He'd be a great retro pick, disregarding the fact that he's another 3rd Party. As for who Simon Belmont is and what he represents, a vampire killer in general would be cool to see. Although I'd be curious as to what aspects of Castlevania would and wouldn't be added, seeing as some aspects of the series draw from religious context. Such as a Cross, weapons having holy attributes, etc. Excitement would be moderately low, due to it being another 3rd Party franchise, but its better than many other options.

2) Moveset wise, I think Simon would be the most interesting out of any potential 3rd Party newcomer. Lots of tools and weapons available to use from the Castlevania series. Whip, Dagger, Axe, Stopwatch, Holy Water, Cross, etc. Although, as previously said, I'm curious if some weapons like the latter two would have to be passed up on. Excitement for his moveset would, in the end, depend on what it is, and how effective it is. Would suck for Simon to be a bad character, but it'd be even worse if he'd end up breaking the game like two specific Smash 4 DLC characters.

3) There's plenty of potential for stages, but the one that comes to mind for me would be Dracula's Castle. My excitement for the stage would, once again, depend on what exactly it is and how it is executed. Fortunately, with hazards being toggle-able, any possible stage-hazards aren't too big of an issue.

4) Castlevania has a good assortment of tools that could be used as items, though I can't pinpoint which would be most likely. However, there's plenty of potential for Assist Trophies. Dracula would be a likely candidate if he isn't made into a stage entity, either in the background or as a hazard. Otherwise, I think Alucard could also find his way in as an Assist Trophy.

5) The music from Castlevania should speak for itself. Any faithful remix in high quality would be amazing to hear. Bonus points if there's a hard rock/metal remix made as well.
Nah man. We only need goemon.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay.

Castlevania
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tekken
Tale of
Soul Calibur
Tomb Raider
Dragon Quest
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Since it’s a lot of series this time, I’m gonna encapsulate all my answers for all series into the 5 respective series.

1. I am most excited for Simon Belmont or a Tales protag, maybe both?
2. Honestly? As long as it’s done in a way that’s respectful to the character’s origin, I have something to look forward to
3. An Otherworld stage (Silent Hill) would be dope but I doubt it’d happen lel.
4. Go nuts, I guess
5. You know me — I love video game music, no matter where it’s from, so yeah, I’m excited for new tunes.

Iridium

Smash Hero

As an avid metalhead/rock fan myself, I agree with you there! Simon Belmont could also almost easily work as the retro newcomer for this game, if that is how Sakurai thinks of it. For balance, I hope people don't complain about him if he is added, for it would suck to see people who support him want him to become trash, but eh.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Third parties I would like.

Crash Bandicoot
Zero
Phoenix Wright
Raiden
Knuckles or Shadow
Shovel Knight

Is Xenoblade considered third party? If so, Rex.

I do think these choices have decent chance.

Phoenix Wright needs a lot of love!

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Guys, just thought of something.

If we ever end up with Rayman and the Rabbids, do you think they would be considered to be from different series, i.e. Mario and Yoshi/DK/Wario?
In that theoretical scenario where they both have series symbols, they do seem to be separate. In fact, they don’t seem to even take place in the some world anymore (the Rabbids’ more recent games seem to take place in a planet similar to Earth, including in the intro cutscene for Mario + Rabbids before they are teleported to the Mushroom Kingdom.)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Third parties I would like.

Crash Bandicoot
Zero
Phoenix Wright
Raiden
Knuckles or Shadow
Shovel Knight

Is Xenoblade considered third party? If so, Rex.

I do think these choices have decent chance.

Phoenix Wright needs a lot of love!
Xenoblade is not Third Party, no.

Not particularly directed at you, but I don't see how people keep making this mistake... It's been 8 years since the first Xenoblade game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Okay.

Castlevania
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tekken
Tale of
Soul Calibur
Tomb Raider
Dragon Quest
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
1. I’d be excited for Lara, Rayman, Jill and Crash
2. I believe they’d be a perfect fit in Smash with the right care
3. Rayman and Crash stages would be simple...but it’d be hell to fight on a TR or RE stage
4. Rabbids as assist trophies to piss people off and many...many monsters from RE (Nemesis specifically)
5. I would listen to whatever song they’d give to me

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Not particularly directed at you, but I don't see how people keep making this mistake... It's been 8 years since the first Xenoblade game.
Seeing as people still think that Rare/Microsoft owns the Kremlings, and that's why Nintendo hasn't included them in Donkey Kong games, in spite of the fact that they made appearances in Nintendo games after the Rare buyout (including Smash Bros.), I feel like most people aren't well-informed about who owns what aside from the really obvious stuff.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I

I honestly dont know. Havent play XC1, XCX and I played XC2 for a few days before selling it off.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Today’s fighter on the blog is :ultbowserjr:!

And I just wanna say, that Delfino Plaza remix is a Bop

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Okay.

Castlevania
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tekken
Tale of
Soul Calibur
Tomb Raider
Dragon Quest
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Oh man, so many of these I don't know at all...

1. While I don't really know Castlevania, I recognize its importance in gaming history. Simon would make a nice addition, but I will say there are both a whip user and a barbarian hero I'd prefer over Simon. Heihachi is also a big name in gaming, but I've always been a bigger fan of Namco's other fighting series, so I'd be way more hyped for a Soul Calibur character, particularly Ivy or Siegfried/Nightmare. Lara is also a huge name in gaming, but one I don't really know well.
  2. Simon's moveset could be interesting with the whips, but I'd prefer Ivy for a whip-based moveset. It would be incredibly unique as well - Heihachi's karate would have a lot of conceptual overlap with Ryu, and Siggy/Nightmare would overlap with Ike/Cloud and now the Dorf. Lara could be more unique, but does still share a lot of overlap with ZSS/Bayo/Snake.
  3. More stages/items/assists/music from other series, even those without characters are always awesome!
View attachment 153608
Here you go.

Probably worth mentioning that in the post-E3 poll, King K. Rool and Bandana Waddle Dee have a huge lead (91 and 82 points) over 3rd place (30 points). This trend is pretty accurate all across the internet; since Ultimate being shown off, with the confirmation of Ridley, and the deconfirmation of many, the big two I see brought up the most generally seem to be K. Rool and Bandana Dee.
This is really interesting! Even though this likely doesn't mean much in terms of getting characters into Smash at this point, it's nice to see where favorites lie.

And also nice to see the King topping so many lists.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
While the part about Nintendo doing more nods to internally developed franchises within internally developed franchises is true... Um... you do realise that going by your list half of the roster in Smash isn't "internally developed" right? I mean, Smash itself was never internally developed.

Excluding third parties we have:
Pokemon
Kirby
Fire Emblem (same company as Advance Wars)
Mother
Kid Icarus (Specifically Uprising)
Xenoblade

That's a whole lot.
-Monolith Soft is 97% owned by Nintendo so Xenoblade is a completely internal franchise.
-Uprising being developed by Sakurai doesn't change the fact that Kid Icarus is an internal franchise, especially back in Brawl when Pit got in.
-Kirby and Mother are owned by HAL Laboratory who were the developers of the first 2 Smash games and co-own Smash with Nintendo. Furthermore Sakurai is the creator of Kirby and Ness got in back before Smash was a hype machine and only due to being able to reuse assets from Mario.

Easy to see that Sakurai clearly has a bias against non-internally developed Nintendo (or HAL) IPs given there's only two exceptions to the contrary.

I think the silence on Golden Sun has something to do with Dark Dawn, and it's a similar situation to Sonic '06.

Both games did poorly (for different reasons), a vocal minority massively overreacted to their flaws, and now the respective companies don't want to risk going back to it. (The difference is the Camelot's director is willing to listen to fan demand if it gets loud enough)

It's... complicated. I'll write something up and get back to you.
Except Nintendo didn't really do anything with Golden Sun between Lost Ages and Dark Dawn despite the former's success. Its completely contrary to how they treated Fire Emblem after Awakening blew up and they went full-throttle on pushing the franchise so even before Dark Dawn it doesn't look like they cared that much about Golden Sun.

D

Deleted member

The DLC fixes it, but part of the confusion may be caused by Smash 3DS's character select screen, where Shulk is placed with the 3rd party characters and after the clones. The Wii U version fixes this by putting Shulk before the clones.

SSB3DS_CSS.jpg

I'd really like to know what the people who laid out the CSS were thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Okay.

Castlevania
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Tekken
Tale of
Soul Calibur
Tomb Raider
Dragon Quest
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Castlevania

1. I loved the various Castlevania games. So having a character from the series no matter who it is, is exciting. But it's pretty much Simon.
2. He would be interesting if they implemented the heart & Sub Weapon mechanic into his moveset and taking things from Judgement.
3. The most likely stage is either Dracula's Throne Room or the Clocktower. Either way they're interesting locals in the series. Especially Clock Tower since Death is mainly the boss of that level.
4. Alucard is the likely AT as he's 2nd most iconic Castlevania character. Mainly using his sword and powers and moving via mist/bat. Death is another potential AT mainly throwing all of his sickles around the stage.
5. Bloody Tears and Dance of Illusions!? Sign me up!

Tales Of

1. The Tales Series is one of my favourite game series. Lloyd from Symphonia is my most wanted newcomer overall, but any Tales of character would be nice.
2. The Tales Series is so fun because of the combo system where you link artes together from base to arcane artes in most games which would make Lloyd unique.
3. There's Martel Temple(first dungeon of the game) and Tower of Salvation(most iconic location of Symphonia). Either one is fine. Even a stage from another Tales game is fine too.
4. The most likely is Kratos Aurion due to his popularity and connection to Lloyd. He would most likely use Shining Bind which would trap anyone nearby and do damage and knockback to those caught. Other candidates are Genis(using random spells like Indignation and Meteor Storm, very small chance of Indignation Judgement), Colette(using her Angel Skills like Angel Feathers, Holy Song, Judgement, and a very small chance of Holy Judgement).
5. Oh yeah! Bring Fatalize, Beat The Angel, Keen Edged Blade, and Fighting of the Spirits!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! , I've written up the differences between Pokémon and Digimon.
As a kid I totally assumed Digimon was just an off-brand copycat/competitor of Pokémon.

:laugh:
Well then, allow me to explain!
What is Digimon, the Franchise?
Digimon is a spinoff of Tamagotchi aimed at boys, focusing more on raising Monsters for battle rather than to care for them. It eventually grew into a multi-media franchise, I'll be focusing on the more popular franchises over the V-Pets.​
Digimon Continuity
To preface this, I'll list off the different continuities of Digimon, I'll assume you have a working knowledge of how Pokémon works to save time.​
  1. Digimon V-Pets
  2. Digmon Adventure V-Tamer 01 (Manga)
  3. Digimon Adventure (2 Anime series, 3 Canon Movies and 1 non-canon movie, and Digimon Adventure Tri, a series of movie sequels)
  4. Digimon Tamers (Anime, two movies that may or may not be canon)
  5. Digimon Frontier (Anime, one non-canon movie)
  6. Digimon Savers (Anime, one non-canon movie), called Digimon Data Squad in the West
  7. Digimon Xros Wars (2 Anime series), called Digimon Fusion in the west, has an alternate retelling in manga form.
  8. Digimon Universe: Applimon (Anime, and Manga)
  9. Digimon X-Evolution (a movie unrelated to the others)
  10. C'Mon Digimon (manga)
  11. Digimon Chronicle (manga)
  12. Digimon D-Cyber (manga)
  13. Digimon Next (manga)
  14. Digimon World (series of games)
  15. Digimon Story (a series of games that expanded upon Digimon World 3's formula, I think, this has multiple continuities)
Naturally, I won't cover every continuity, since then I'd be here all night, and most of them have similarities anyway.
Pokémon World vs. The Digital World and More Digimon Continuity
In Digimon, there is a “Digital World”, a parallel dimension connected to the “Real World” via computer networks (it's weird, bear with me). There are also multiple unconnected universes: for example, there are six Anime continuities and multiple manga and game continuities, though this is not really any different from Pokémon having the game universe, the anime universe, the manga universes and Mystery Dungeon and other spinoff game universes.​
The Digital World is separate from the Real World, and in some continuities time passes much faster in the DW than in the Real World. In Pokémon, the Pokémon world is the real world, and Pokémon are theorized to come from space.​
Prior to Digimon Xros Wars: The Young Hunters who Leapt through Time, there was only one major connection between anime continuities: The protagonist of a series of Japan Exclusive Wonderswan games (Digimon Adventure: Anode Tamer & Cathode Tamer and it's sequels), eventually crossed dimensions from Digimon Adventure's continuity into Digimon Tamers'... somehow. In the dub this was never explained, but still hinted at. In Young Hunters, all the previous anime Main Characters reappeared to help the latest protagonists defeat the Big Bad of that series. Why? Anniversary tie-in.​
Pokémon Trainers vs. Digimon Tamers
There are characters, usually but not always children, called “Digimon Tamers”. Depending on the version, they can have just one “Digimon Partner” (Digimon Adventure V-Tamer 01, Digimon Adventure and it's sequels, Digimon Tamers, Digimon Savers and Digimon World) or multiple (Digimon Xros Wars, the extreme majority of the games). In one series, the characters don't have Digimon Partners, they instead become Digimon, this is Digimon Frontier. In the Digimon Adventure anime, “Digimon Tamers” are called “Chosen Children (JP)/Digidestined (Dub)”.​
Digimon the species vs. Pokémon the species
In most Digimon universes, Digimon are usually unknown, or a mystery (much moreso than they are a mystery in Pokémon).​
Digimon are always sapient creatures that can speak human languages, while certain Pokémon in certain continuities can learn to speak English (the anime Meowth) or can communicate telepathically (Mewtwo; Lucario; Zoroark; Arceus), they are the exception, not the norm. Pokémon are usually treated like animals, while they can understand human commands, this is little different to training a Dog.​
Certain games, like Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory, actually bring up the implications of people treating Digimon as tools.​
How Tamers acquire Digimon
In the continuities where a Tamer has only one partner, it's more of a soul-link bond kind of thing (hey, like Ash-Greninja!). They have one Digimon who will generally reflect their personality.​
In the continuities where a Tamer has multiple Digimon... well, there are actually three methods:​
In Digimon Xros Wars, the characters recruit armies of Digimon to fight with (with one main), they then fuse the Digimon together (DigiXros/DigiFuse) to achieve higher power. This is a case of the Tamer and Digimon having a common goal of defeating the Big Bad/fighting for the Big Bad, or the Digimon settling a debt with the army.​
In Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, there is a character (who is not the main character), who has two Digimon partners who she treats like the Digimon from previous series. In Digimon World: Next 0rder, most Digimon Tamers have one partner, except the main character who has two for some reason and is considered special because of it. There is also a character in V-Tamer 01 who also has two Digimon. When a Tamer has two Digimon, it's almost always Agumon and Gabumon (who are, or have, evolved into WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon), who then fuse into Omegamon (Omnimon in the Dub). As the player character, you are given the freedom to deviate from this mold. In the Digimon Adventure movie “Hurricane Touchdown!” (part three of Digimon: the Movie), there is Wallace (Willis in the dub), who has Terriermon and Lopmon.​
In the Digimon Story games, it plays a little bit more like Pokémon (you collect teams of Digimon to use in battles). Even there, it is different to Pokémon, when facing a Digimon, you scan data on them, when you have scanned enough data, you can generate a new instance of that Digimon.​
Evolution
Like Pokémon, Digimon evolve (well, to get pedantic, both undergo metamorphosis, but that's splitting hairs). They both also hatch from Eggs (though Pokémon do so in a more natural way... or so we think... Digimon eggs are usually just reincarnated Digimon.​
In the Dub, evolution is called Digivolution, presumably to differentiate it from Pokémon, also they added "Digi" to everything!​
There are a few key differences.​
Firstly, Digimon have twice as many evolution stages as a Pokémon can; Pokémon can only have a maximum of three not including the Egg stage, four with Mega Evolution; a Digimon has six stages not including Egg stage, or seven if you count the rare Super Ultimate stage)​
Digimon Evolution Stages (Sub/Dub): Digi-Egg > Baby I/Fresh > Baby II/In-Training > Child/Rookie > Adult/Champion > Perfect/Ultimate > Ultimate/Mega > Super Ultimate/Ultra
When left alone, Digimon will evolve over time; however, the process can be sped up by having a Digimon Tamer (the method of this varies depending on whether it's the anime or games). If a Digimon evolves naturally, the evolution is permanent, just like Pokémon; however, if they evolve by means of their Digimon Tamer, the evolution is temporary. This is just like Pokémon's Mega Evolution concept, and has been a staple of the series since Digimon Adventure.​
Digimon can also fuse, this is called "Jogress Evolution" (DNA Digivolution in the Dub) or "DigiXros" (DigiFusion in the Dub). DigiXros is exclusive to the Xros Wars series, and is more like a MegaZord kind of thing. (As an aside, "Jogress" is a portmanteau of "Joint Progress").​
Generally, there is no true way a Digimon will evolve, their evolution trees are huge webs of cross pollination. As an example, an Agumon can evolve into Greymon, GeoGreymon, Veedramon, Sukamon, Centarumon, Leomon, Monochromon and a few others. Veemon can also evolve into Veedramon, and other Digimon also have similar crossovers.​
Most Digimon have 'official' lines, for Agumon it's: Botamon > Koromon > Agumon > Greymon > MetalGreymon > WarGreymon > Omegamon and Botamon > Koromon > Agumon > GeoGreymon > RizeGreymon > ShineGreymon > ShineGreymon: Burst Mode, but these aren't necessarily what all Agumon will evolve into.​
When Digimon die, they reincarnate into a new Digimon, starting from an egg; however, this only applies in the Digital World, if a Digimon dies in the real world, they're gone for good (except as ghosts). This is a plot point multiple times.​
Gods of Digimon and Pokémon
Both series have Gods, go figure. In Pokémon, the top god is Arceus, but Arceus might just be an uber-powerful Pokémon. Digimon's Top God, Yggdrasil, is the "Main Server" of the Digital World, it's not really a Digimon, in multiple continuities, Yggdrasil becomes faulty and is replaced by "Homeostasis", though the being didn't get a name until the Xros Wars manga, it appeared as early as Digimon Adventure.​
Digimon also has other gods based on the gods of other religions (example: the "Olympos XII" guess who they're based on). But they're just really, really powerful Digimon. There's also the "Seven Great Demon Lords" (Seven Deadly Digimon in the dub), who are... well, the seven deadly sins.​
Digimon really, really likes referencing mythology in an overt way, while Pokémon is more covert with it's mythological references.​
Types
This is a big difference between Digimon and Pokémon, in Pokémon there are 18 Types (Normal, Grass, Fire, Water, Electric, Fighting, Flying, Poison, Psychic, Ghost, Bug, Rock, Ground, Ice, Dragon, Steel, Dark and Fairy). In Digimon, there are six main types, called Attributes: Vaccine, Data, Virus, Free, Variable and Unknown. The first three Attributes have a Rock-Paper-Scissors relationship Vaccine > Virus > Data > Vaccine; Free and Variable are always tied with the main ones, and Unknown is always dominant.​
In the games, there are other sub-types: Fire, Water, Plant, Wind, Electric, Rock, Metal, Holy, Evil, Neutral and "Filth", they have their own RPS relationships (Water > Fire > Plant, and Electric > Wind > Rock) that are unconnected to the Attributes.​
A Digimon will be one Attribute and one Type, unlike Pokémon who can have one or two types.​
Some Digimon have abilities that grant them advantages over other families of Digimon, for example WarGreymon's claws are especially effective against Draconic Digimon (Digimon with 'dramon' in their name); this only really applies to the Anime.​
Pokémon Vs. Digimon
In America, Pokémon and Digimon were localised at about the same time, with Digimon probably being localised as an attempt to cash in on the "Mons" craze. In Japan, Pokémon Red & Green released in February 1996, Tamagotchi started in November of the same year, and Digimon was spawned from Tamagotchi when Bandai wanted to create something more masculine to appeal to Boys. While there is wriggle-room to argue that Tamagotchi (and therefore Digimon) were created in response to Pokémon, it's unlikely.​
This is an interesting little fact that is up to opinion, but the general consensus of fans of both Pokémon and Digimon is that Pokémon has the better games, while Digimon has the better anime.​
I hope to God this covers everything and is understandable to anyone but myself. XD

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord

Would he work as an Isaac Echo? He has a sword and a very similar build + he's Isaac's son, I think?

Seeing as people still think that Rare/Microsoft owns the Kremlings, and that's why Nintendo hasn't included them in Donkey Kong games, in spite of the fact that they made appearances in Nintendo games after the Rare buyout (including Smash Bros.), I feel like most people aren't well-informed about who owns what aside from the really obvious stuff.
Some Microsofts executives thought they bought Donkey Kong with Rare, so I'm not surprised people don't know much about the buyout. I have no idea myself. There's always funky stuff going on with that, like KOS-MOS in Xenoblade might make someone think Nintendo owns Xenosaga or something.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...t_they_owned_donkey_kong_after_acquiring_rare

?????????????

Smash Master
Would he work as an Isaac Echo? He has a sword and a very similar build + he's Isaac's son, I think?
Definitely, but I’m not sure if they’d do 2 Golden Sun characters... I mean, Alph is still just a costume (as far as we know.)

But perhaps Matthew could be like that?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Matthew is so similar to his father that he could just be an Alt costume and nobody would complain. XD
-Monolith Soft is 97% owned by Nintendo so Xenoblade is a completely internal franchise.
-Uprising being developed by Sakurai doesn't change the fact that Kid Icarus is an internal franchise, especially back in Brawl when Pit got in.
-Kirby and Mother are owned by HAL Laboratory who were the developers of the first 2 Smash games and co-own Smash with Nintendo. Furthermore Sakurai is the creator of Kirby and Ness got in back before Smash was a hype machine and only due to being able to reuse assets from Mario.

Easy to see that Sakurai clearly has a bias against non-internally developed Nintendo (or HAL) IPs given there's only two exceptions to the contrary.

Except Nintendo didn't really do anything with Golden Sun between Lost Ages and Dark Dawn despite the former's success. Its completely contrary to how they treated Fire Emblem after Awakening blew up and they went full-throttle on pushing the franchise so even before Dark Dawn it doesn't look like they cared that much about Golden Sun.
Nintendo of 2002 is not going to have the same business practices as Nintendo of 2012.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom