• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Surprised this made it here. I'm actually the original creator of this image, and it has gone through a lot of iterations. I made it for 4chan's /v/ board. Although that one is a bit outdated, here's the most recent one with a fix for 4chan, because I previously listed Marx above Crash Bandicoot:
Considering it made it here, I'd like to ask a question that I also asked /v/. GameFAQs recently did a post E3 poll, that has different data from this list. My question is, should I replace the current GameFAQs data on the image with the new one?
Make a new image that has both the pictured data and the post-E3 data.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Didn't Digimon and Pokemon come out sooooo close to one another, that they're pretty much physically impossible to be rip-offs of one another.

Not to mention the sheer differences in themes, designs, etc.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Just saw a lot of similarities between the Pokemon and Digimon and came to the conclusion the similarities weren't a coincidence. I'm not saying i hate it, and there's a strong possibility i could be wrong I'm just saying that's the vibe I'm getting from it.
That's a common opinion and that's fine, it's just that it's wrong. Going above the surface level that both end in "mon" and have evolutions, everything Digimon related is really reaaaally far from Pokémon, be it monster design, gameplay, anime and all that.

Didn't Digimon and Pokemon come out sooooo close to one another, that they're pretty much physically impossible to be rip-offs of one another.

It depends on how big you think a 2 year difference is. I think it's pretty short, but I'd understand someone thinking otherwise

It's actually just one year! Yeah that's really really close

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

That's a common opinion and that's fine, it's just that it's wrong. Going above the surface level that both end in "mon" and have evolutions, everything Digimon related is really reaaaally far from Pokémon, be it monster design, gameplay, anime and all that.
I'll certainly check it out. That was just the first impression i got from it, once Again, I'll take a deeper dive

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pretty sure Digimon and Tamagotchi are made by the same company; they just made Digimon to appeal to boys, because Tamagotchi appealed to girls.
Oh huh
Learn something new everyday.

Anyways, yeah.
I honestly don't know what digimon could do at this point to get rid of that incorrect stigma.
Real time battles?
Violence?
Tokusentai?
Movies?
guns?
anime arcs?
fusion?
Nothing seems to work.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You also have to think with series like Digimon and Pokemon the pre-production of anything takes twice as long because you have numerous creatures to design.

So it's not as if the series were truly born on their RELEASE date, but the moment the monsters themselves were planned and designed.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Ok, so I wanna think of another game.

Sell me on some potential newcomers I’ll name, in fifty words or less. What makes them unique? What do they represent? What’s their move set potential? Any other perks?

I’ll start with these three potential newcomers:

- Ashley
- Bandana Dee (I already support him, but I’m listing him here anyway)
- Decidueye

Go!
I don't know much about Bandana Dee or Ashley, but I can at least try Ashley since I have a good idea what she be about, and Decidueye.

Ashley most likely would come with a plethora of spells most of them dealing with, debuffs and hexes, I was thinking she could have a confidence gauge the more often she successfully hit you, the more spell that are available too her and the stronger they would be.

Decidueye would be the long range archer using his arrows to keep enemies at bay. His signature move Spirit Shackle, would pin enemies to the ground, giving him a chance to rack up damage and finish them off with a long range Smash attack. Because of this though, his moves usually kill at very high percent's, his speed would be slightly below average, and would have trouble with close range combat.

So a list of sleeper characters where I think at least one will make it in IMO.

Dillon
Popular one off Zelda Character not disconfirmed
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell
Koei Tecmo character(Ryu or Kasumi)
Popular western character not Crash or Ray Man
Mach Rider
Excite Biker
Reimu Hakurei
Heihachi
Nightmare
Arle Nadja
Pokemon Newcomer that isn't Decidueye, Mimikyu or Lycanroc
I think Reimu has a very good chance due to her popularity in Japan.

Saber from Fate/Stay Night has a good chance due to her popularity in japan, in the west, and by having a game on the Switch already, she would represent the Visual Novel franchise, she's basically King Arthur, and she wields the legendary sword Excalibur.

Shantae could represent the indie games of the west and she a popular choice, so I could see her make it in along with these two above

Other than those three Pokémon, Zeraora or Gardevoir could make it in Smash
Ashley's a witch, meaning she has access to a variety of magic attacks. She could buff herself or debuff other characters with curses.
Not forgetting her servant Red, who can trasform into objects giving her options for jabs, smash attacks, etc.
Also, her dry personality would be adorable to see!

Bandanna Dee has worked his way up the ranks and has become one of Kirby's closest friends. As a spear user he could bring a unique flair the Smash with a totally different moveset. And he would complete the quartet of main Kirby characters.

I'm more of a Mimikyu or Incineroar guy, so I don't have much to say on Decidueye.
I don't know much about what Ashley would do, but some pages back I made a list of possible hexes she could preforms on enemies, the hexes would be a random debuffs some would range from often and annoying, to rare and dangerous gameplay wise. How often she use a rare hex would depend on her successfully hitting her enemy with any spell from before raising her spell/confidence gauge.

And she would say a magic word for each spell like for the common ones she could say:

Noodle Arms (lowers attack damage, and knockback)
Slowpoke (lowers speed)
Leadfoot (lowers jump height/jumping speed,)
Paper Shield (shield is easier to break)

Then the rarer/stronger random hexes would be

Sleepyhead
Featherweight (lowers enemies weight dramatically, and increase knockback)
Poison Cap
Esrever (reverses the players control of the character temporarily)
Disable (randomly disables an enemy's Special attack temporarily, even Up Special)

So that's what I have since you know the character better than I do, do you think these are possible debuffs/hexes she could have.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
One can only hope.

Isaac hasn't been seen for eight years. Neither has K. Rool. Just saying.

Even if Donkey Kong Country is still ongoing, K. Rool himself has been, quote-unquote, "cancelled".

About Isaac being "absurdly pure deep fanservice", how many times do I have to keep saying this?: Golden Sun was a best-selling and highly rated game on the fourth best selling Nintendo console. Even if you, personally, don't care about Isaac, there are thousands who do.

Camelot's director has even said that they'd be willing to bring back Golden Sun if demand gets high enough. Dark Dawn failed partially because of lack of marketing, they probably expected Golden Sun's prior success to carry them, but by the time they released DD it had been several years since Lost Age had been released.
That would matter more if Nintendo could be bothered to actually acknowledge the series' existence. Good sales usually correlate to more love from Nintendo but for whatever reason that never happened with Golden Sun. It's telling how stuff like dead franchises like F-Zero, Excitebike, and whatever game Takamaru comes from can still get nods in major Nintendo properties while Golden Sun languishes in complete silence. That apathy is basically the main reason why I think Isaac and other non-internally developed franchises like Dillion, Chibi-Robo, and Advanced Wars don't have a chance in hell of getting a playable character.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Just saw a lot of similarities between the Pokemon and Digimon and came to the conclusion the similarities weren't a coincidence. I'm not saying i hate it, and there's a strong possibility i could be wrong I'm just saying that's the vibe I'm getting from it.

This.
To expand on this; the most commonly cited similarities are the "-mon" title and "Mega Evolution". In both series "Mega Evolution" is an entirely different thing (and even then Pokémon would be ripping off Digimon on this particular aspect).

There is a "Mega" level in Digimon... that's it, even then it's a Dub-ism.

In the original Japanese version, the levels go: Digi-Egg > Baby I > Baby II > Child > Adult > Perfect > Ultimate > Super Ultimate
In the dub, the levels go: Digi-Egg > Fresh > In-Training > Rookie > Champion > Ultimate >Mega > Ultra; the names changed because they wanted to emphasize the 'battle' aspect of Digimon over 'Monster Raising'.

Yes, both versions having completely different "Ultimate" levels does get confusing, why do you ask?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So Comic-Con starts tomorrow. You guys think we’ll get ANYTHING at all?

Part of me is still doubting the potential new direct being Sunday, but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it does.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
He did say "AT LEAST Half a Dozen" newcomers, but it didn't specify wheter those characters were echoes or not. Simon Belmont is only other character that he knows about.
Well I doubt that by the time he got the information, echoes would be included with that since they are done near the end of the development, and that statement was made around April/May.

Although I don’t know how long Lucina and Dark Pit were made.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's bit hilarious because Digimon more ends up being more like a deconstruction of tropes seen in Pokemon, especially in the animated seasons - and even then, their roots are more on Tamagotchi than Pokemon, honestly. If you had one and then watched the first Digimon OVA, you'd definitely see strong parallels. :p

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Digimon and Pokemon themes are evolution. It's makes sense.
Who renembered when Pokemon ripped-off the Mega Evolution from Digimon?

Speaking of Pokemon, i'm thinking in a good echo fighters for Pokemon franchise:

Squirtle - Totodile
Charizard - Reshiram
Pikachu - Raichu
Ivysaur - Meganium

And Pokemon Trainer must be N from Pokemon Black and white.
Does these makes sense as echo fighters?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Part of me is still doubting the potential new direct being Sunday, but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it does.
Nope.

However, there are plenty of games out there that I also enjoy, so that's still something to be excited about.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
That would matter more if Nintendo could be bothered to actually acknowledge the series' existence. Good sales usually correlate to more love from Nintendo but for whatever reason that never happened with Golden Sun. It's telling how stuff like dead franchises like F-Zero, Excitebike, and whatever game Takamaru comes from can still get nods in major Nintendo properties while Golden Sun languishes in complete silence. That apathy is basically the main reason why I think Isaac and other non-internally developed franchises like Dillion, Chibi-Robo, and Advanced Wars don't have a chance in hell of getting a playable character.
While the part about Nintendo doing more nods to internally developed franchises within internally developed franchises is true... Um... you do realise that going by your list half of the roster in Smash isn't "internally developed" right? I mean, Smash itself was never internally developed.

Excluding third parties we have:
Pokemon
Kirby
Fire Emblem (same company as Advance Wars)
Mother
Kid Icarus (Specifically Uprising)
Xenoblade

That's a whole lot.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think the silence on Golden Sun has something to do with Dark Dawn, and it's a similar situation to Sonic '06.

Both games did poorly (for different reasons), a vocal minority massively overreacted to their flaws, and now the respective companies don't want to risk going back to it. (The difference is the Camelot's director is willing to listen to fan demand if it gets loud enough)
So...What are some things that make pokemon different from Digimon?
It's... complicated. I'll write something up and get back to you.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So...What are some things that make pokemon different from Digimon?
It's going to be a damn laundry list to get through the differences so I'll just say what's the same.

They have monsters.
You send them out to fight with other monsters.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's going to be a damn laundry list to get through the differences so I'll just say what's the same.

They have monsters.
You send them out to fight with other monsters.
And I'm going to write that laundry list, gosh darn it!

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Dead brain - Unique Digimon character.

Active brain - No digimon character.

Galaxy brain - Metal Greymon as a Charizard echo.

Universe Brain - Digimon Tamer as a Pokémon Trainer echo with Metal Greymon, Tanemon, and Ranamon

(yes I'm joking)

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I think the silence on Golden Sun has something to do with Dark Dawn, and it's a similar situation to Sonic '06.

Both games did poorly (for different reasons), a vocal minority massively overreacted to their flaws, and now the respective companies don't want to risk going back to it. (The difference is the Camelot's director is willing to listen to fan demand if it gets loud enough)

It's... complicated. I'll write something up and get back to you.
Honestly? I'm kinda convinced that Golden Sun itself has nothing to do with it and that Camelot has been just a big mess for almost 10 years now. Since 2007 they have just been releasing one unpolished game after the other. They're not terrible, but they're missing work and a lot of times, love. Even good games like Mario Golf World Tour have this weird feeling in them. Mario Tennis Aces is absolutely fantastic and I hope it puts them right back on the track, but even on this very game there's quite a few questionable things going on. Sometimes it feels like they had their team cut by more than half.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Make a new image that has both the pictured data and the post-E3 data.
smashpolls.png

Here you go.

Probably worth mentioning that in the post-E3 poll, King K. Rool and Bandana Waddle Dee have a huge lead (91 and 82 points) over 3rd place (30 points). This trend is pretty accurate all across the internet; since Ultimate being shown off, with the confirmation of Ridley, and the deconfirmation of many, the big two I see brought up the most generally seem to be K. Rool and Bandana Dee.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Because I was browsing /v/ and came across it (don't ask why I'm on 4chan...I can't really answer that because I'm not sure why either), please be sure to take any leak with a massive grain of salt. It's not at all difficult to fake certain types of leaks.

If the ESRB leak taught us anything, it should be to consider most leaks (unless backed by information or proved to some extent like Vergeben has been thus far) fake until proven legitimate.

Here's the latest example from /v/. It's obviously a joke but I figured I'd post it anyway:
Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 7.18.16 PM.png

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man all this talk of Dark Dawn reminded me how cool the cinematic summons were.
I'm honestly having difficulty remembering if any DS games looked better than these.

Roberk

Smash Champion
One can only hope.

Even if Donkey Kong Country is still ongoing, K. Rool himself has been, quote-unquote, "cancelled".

About Isaac being "absurdly pure deep fanservice", how many times do I have to keep saying this?: Golden Sun was a best-selling and highly rated game on the fourth best selling Nintendo console. Even if you, personally, don't care about Isaac, there are thousands who do.

Camelot's director has even said that they'd be willing to bring back Golden Sun if demand gets high enough. Dark Dawn failed partially because of lack of marketing, they probably expected Golden Sun's prior success to carry them, but by the time they released DD it had been several years since Lost Age had been released.
Golden Sun released 17 years ago. Lost Age released a year after and while it was successful, sales (and ratings) were dropping off. I don't think I have to explain Dark Dawn.

The series was a one and a half hit wonder generations ago and died with official cancellation. Something being added because it is popular is fanservice. Golden Sun is popular, but in the grand scheme of things from a business perspective, it's not successful. Sakurai's not going to add a character because his original game broke a million sales on the GBA, he'll add Isaac because he's popular.

I'm not saying Isaac isn't popular, I'm saying he wouldn't be a reasonable business pick compared to pretty much every other newcomer we've had over the years. Adding a character mostly because of fans would qualify as fanservice imo. People seem to be giving "fanservice" a negative connotation but I'm just saying that that's how Isaac would be added. Appealing to fans.

K. Rool is a whole nother can of worms. He's the star of this said leak and even has visual assets relating to him present in it. While K. Rool is as you said "canceled" right now, the DK series already being in Smash paves a way for him that will be easier than what Isaac has to go through. Also, I'd rather debate against a few Isaac supporters than the swarms of K. Rool fans. Good gosh I just had to play devil's advocate and defend K. Rool, a character who I give 0 craps about.

Isaac seems pretty cool, it's not like I don't want him. I plan on playing his game and the sequel (maybe DD if I really get into it) at some point. I'm just don't think of him as likely objectively.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
While the part about Nintendo doing more nods to internally developed franchises within internally developed franchises is true... Um... you do realise that going by your list half of the roster in Smash isn't "internally developed" right? I mean, Smash itself was never internally developed.

Excluding third parties we have:
Pokemon
Kirby
Fire Emblem (same company as Advance Wars)
Mother
Kid Icarus (Specifically Uprising)
Xenoblade

That's a whole lot.
I wish they did something with Advance Wars, it was the backbone for the Fire Emblem game’s since the very beginning, and it was forgotten after the release of Days of Ruin even though it brought the franchise back up again.

Although IS is currently trying to consider another Advance Wars sequel, it’s obvious that they have been working on Fire Emblem as their main flagship title.

Last edited:

Kremling Krewmate

Smash Rookie
https://imgtc.com/i/k5DSo0d.png

This photo was just posted on Gamefaqs with this list of characters:

Newcomers:
King K. Rool
Decidueye
Ashley
Isaac
Ayumi Tachibana
Excitebiker
Travis Touchdown
Heihachi

Echoes:
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Dark Samus
Isabelle

The post in question: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76819589

Thoughts? The render looks kinda fake to me but hey, it's at least a photo leak.
The screenshot is definitely fake. Issues about its quality aside, the render used for K.Rool definitely looks like an edit of his 3DS/WiiU trophy:

Besides, if K.Rool did get in, I'm sure they would use his classic Rare design since that's what the Mii costume was based on. Still hope there's some truth to this roster, though.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
This slow burn of new information is killing me. Nothing for 3 months after Inkling, 3 whole months of "it's a port, don't expect anything new"... and a month after the game's proper reveal, no other meaningful new content leading to "they already showed everything, they listed the final roster size and said 'everyone is here'".

There's obviously more content in the game, and it's obviously more than a port. But why are they being so coy about it?
Because a **** ton of information was revealed about the game at E3, they're not going to reveal the entire game all at once, they need more information to reveal as time goes on to keep the hype up and every Smash game has kept content secret until release. People are being too antsy with the lack of new information for a month, even before considering how much information we were given in the unveiling, that is a pretty typical amount of time to go post-unveiling without getting more new information about a game. How many games out there showed more new information within a month of the first unveiling?

Out of all the characters that he predicted, he only stated that Ridley would be revealed on E3, as far as im concerned.

Here are the 3 sources from Vergeben that said Ridley was playable:
Source 1 = Bandai Namco developing Super Smash Bros. and Metroid Prime 4 (TBC) + Ridley playable in Smash.
Source 2 = Ridley + Simon Belmont + Ice Climbers (return) in Smash, Just Cause 4 (confirmed), and new Jump game that would be a mix of popular japanese shows (confirmed, Jump Force), 2 Castlevania games (TBC), one compilation game (TBC).
Source 3 = Ridley at E3, with a presence not just limited to being shown playable.

Only the 3rd source states that Ridley was revealed at E3 specifically, the others dind't specify.

Even then, you have Sal Romano's leak that stated that Little Mac, Miis, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Mega Man, Pac Man all at E3 2013, but only half of them were revealed (and Lil' Mac wasn't even announced at a E3) so it wouldn't be the first time that a leaker has the content right, but the dates wrong (it's actually quite common among leaks).

Oh and also regarding this whole "dataminers did it first" thing.

Vergeben's Statement of Base Goku and Vegeta playable: November 13, 2017 (this is the earliest archive Internet Wayback Machine offers regarding his post).

Dragon Ball FighterZ release date: Jaunary 26, 2018 Worldwide and Feb 1 in Japan.

So unless some dataminer got a very, very early copy (as in before November 13 2017,) that included data of Base Goku and Base Vegeta in game, Vergeben actually did it first.
...But he also particularly said the Minecraft one was from a different source he was less certain of.
There's a lot of misinformation that keeps getting repeated about what of Vergeben's claims is attributed to which of his claimed sources, Vergeben claimed to have four sources for Smash info and here is how it goes:

*Source 1: Bandai Namco source where he got the information about them developing Metroid Prime 4 from, which is where he first heard Ridley was in the game.

*Source 2: Undisclosed source that he claims he heard no Smash 4 character getting cut, Ice Climbers, Ridley, Simon Belmont, and Snake from.

*Source 3: Another undisclosed source that reiterated what source 2 stated, but also claimed there would be non-playable Minecraft content in the game, and this is additionally the source he got the information about the existence of all those games from, such as Jump Stars and the MIA Castlevania games.

*Source 4: Some guy who came to him claiming he saw E3 material for Ridley and thus Ridley was going to be revealed at E3. This is also the source Vergeben claimed he wasn't confident in, he has expressed complete confidence in the prior three sources and never backed down from their claims as some people here have claimed.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Because I was browsing /v/ and came across it (don't ask why I'm on 4chan...I can't really answer that because I'm not sure why either), please be sure to take any leak with a massive grain of salt. It's not at all difficult to fake certain types of leaks.

If the ESRB leak taught us anything, it should be to consider most leaks (unless backed by information or proved to some extent like Vergeben has been thus far) fake until proven legitimate.

Here's the latest example from /v/. It's obviously a joke but I figured I'd post it anyway:
View attachment 153609
No Super Koopa, never gonna buy a smash again :shaker:

Not gonna bank on it myself - but there's the period for the leak to materialize itself as true now. Let's see if the magic appears.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
On the Isaac support thread, @SonicLink125 posted this image; apparently, someone on Twitter (not SonicLink) compiled a Top 10 list for Reddit, 4Chan, GameFAQs, Source Gaming and this very site.
The lack of Ammy saddens me, But it's great that Rex & Pyra, Shantae, and even Sora are getting the love.
So Ashley's Story and level in Warioware Gold has been posted.

I really like her voice. Anyone know who voices her?
I didn't realize her voice was so badass, she sounds like she's gonna handle business, effortlessly!
I have news for everyone:

A new game called Digimon Survive will be in Nintendo Switch and PS4.
Could it be a signal that Agumon would be in Smash Bros?

Link: https://withthewill.net/threads/20538-Digimon-Survive-for-PS4-and-Switch-Early-Info
Well, it possible, I wouldn't be against it, Agumon is amazing (second best to Guilmon, and Renamon though :))
One can only hope.

Wouldn't mind Isaac, if a character has a sword, plus amazing abilities, most likely I want them in Smash.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Even if there's nothing new soon, it's cool that Nintendo is showing off Smash Ultimate so much. Just wish there was one near me.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There's a big difference between Daisy and Dixie. Dixie has a signature ability, which is her hair as she can do many moves using it

What's Daisy's special ability? Flowers....and daisies. Since Peach has heart-shaped elements incorporated in her attacks, Daisy's was easy to do with changing the hearts to flowers/daisies
Daisy also isn’t as thicc as Peach is
You know, the more low effort leaks I see, the more I appreciate that fake Spring Man/Decidueye leak back in March.

Even if it ended up being fake, you have to admit that it was a nice change of pace to see someone put so much effort into their leak. Reminded me of the very convincing Artsy Omni Rayman leak in early 2015.
The good times of fake leaks

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom