• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
It also came up with the "seven stars" template that would be reused in the Paper Mario games, and created a whole new world of characters that's more creative and complimentary to the Mario art style than anything in Paper Mario.
No offense, but that is completely subjective. And the game itself, not Geno, led to the creation of the Paper Mario series. Geno was just one character in the game, and not even the main character like Paper Mario in his games. You're really reaching here. Did you perhaps copy the hidden ability of my #1 most-wanted fighter, Long Reach?

Also, woo! Page 2400!

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Yeah they're still lending a hand.

I could definitely see Nightmare happening, but honestly, I'm pretty skeptical of most newcomers with the small amount of time we have left and the lack of newcomers shown at E3. It's put quite a damper on speculation when I have to think "But would Sakurai really put this character in over someone more popular."
I mean, the franchises seem quite popular to me, World made MU mainstream "world"wide and SC6 seems highly anticipated. It could be seen as attracting a different audience rather than appealing to the Smash/Nintendo fan that was going to buy the game anyway.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just don't understand why some of us take such offense to characters having a chance to get into this game. I don't see any characters that would keep me from enjoying this game.* All of my old favorites are back, from Mario, Sonic, the Pokemon Trainer, and more. Am I a big WariorWare or Donkey Kong fan? Nope. But I have seen so many passionate Ashley and K. Rool fans on here that I want to see them included. I just don't see any characters that I would be "personally disappointed" in receiving. I guess that's just me, though. If Geno were able to get in, then I feel like any character from a Nintendo game would have a chance. Characters like Crono, Wart, and other one offs would actually have a reason to support their characters. Maybe it's just a romantic idea that "anyone can get into Smash!" But man, I do like that idea.

Also, "not understanding the hype" and "disliking a character" are two different things. Some in here have made great points about Geno not being a character they enjoy. I disagree, but their reasoning is sound. Some do like Mallow more. I love Mallow. Especially how personal his story was in SMRPG. But Geno is more important to the plot. He's the Star Warrior sent to aid Mario. He's the one trying to help repair the road. He's the one trying to gather the stars. To say he is less important to the plot isn't really correct. Maybe you didn't enjoy how he was implemented into the plot, but his story is much more important to overall plot than Mallow's side(but more personal and intimate) story. Here's for Mallow to show up in the Final Smash or as an Assist Trophy!

Want to speak on Kingdom Hearts for a second as well. I love Kingdom Hearts. I think Sora has some interesting challenges, namely Disney, to figure out. But Sora has become a gaming icon for a lot of younger fans. Same reason that I think something like Minecraft makes sense for Smash. Not a fan of Minecraft, but I've never really played it. It was targeted at a younger audience than me. But for some gamers, that was their first game. It'll actually be nostalgic for them.

Anyways, didn't meant to talk this much. It just bothers me to see people disliking other characters "just because." Like, if the arguments were "spots are slim" or something to that effect, then I understand. But not wanting a game, after getting your favorites in, just because a character you don't believe deserves it is kind of a bummer...

*Any character from a video game. I love Goku, but I think we need to keep "originated from a video game."
I agree. Sometimes I don't like people acting like everyone has to like/want/accept certain characters. But, we should left gatekeeping phase behind because it doesn't help anyone.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I agree. Sometimes I don't like people acting like everyone has to like/want/accept certain characters. But, we should left gatekeeping phase behind because it doesn't help anyone.
Yeah, it feels like it should work both ways. You don't have to like everyone, but that doesn't mean you have to hate on characters either.

EDIT: Whoo! 500 posts!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm feeling Wario.

:ultwario::ultwario::ultwario:

He's gonna be next.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I just don't understand why some of us take such offense to characters having a chance to get into this game. I don't see any characters that would keep me from enjoying this game.
It becomes a problem when the chances of a character you want in Smash are directly threatened by another certain character. For example, I can't see us getting two more Mario newcomers. The Mario character I want is Paper Mario, and he faces direct competition from Captain Toad and Geno. Captain Toad is already bad enough, but Geno getting in over Paper Mario would be even more disappointing because he is also a Mario RPG rep while being far less relevant. And I want Paper Mario to receive his time in the spotlight after having two very mediocre games in a row.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Zero Sum game syndrome is pribably why we're never getting any more Fire Emblem characters...

osby

Smash Obsessed
It becomes a problem when the chances of a character you want in Smash are directly threatened by another certain character. For example, I can't see us getting two more Mario newcomers. The Mario character I want is Paper Mario, and he faces direct competition from Captain Toad and Geno. Captain Toad is already bad enough, but Geno getting in over Paper Mario would be even more disappointing because he is also a Mario RPG rep while being far less relevant. And I want Paper Mario to receive his time in the spotlight after having two very mediocre games in a row.
I don't think characters are selected over each other unless they are from the same game. If Geno gets in, it'll be because he is a fan favourite who Sakurai expressed interest to turn into a fighter.
I doubt he'll just go and say "Daisy and Geno is enough, let's skip Paper Mario" if Paper Mario is considered seriously to begin with.
Also nobody predicted getting three Fire Emblem fighters last time and we still did.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Congratulations, and it only took you ELEVEN YEARS
Yeah! See yall in 2029 for #1000! We'll be on what numbered Smash by then...?

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the "only a few spots left" becoming "my character is 'more important/relevant/loved/recent/insert whatever I can say to make me feel like my guy has a shot over yours'" type of debates. But that doesn't mean that you have to hate another character.

I have only played the first Paper Mario. I really enjoyed it! Felt like a nice evolution from Super Mario RPG. Sure, the style wasn't really my thing, but whatever. Personally, Paper Mario "getting in over" Geno wouldn't upset me. Sure, I wouldn't really want a third Mario, but he would represent the same thing that Geno would. The RPG portion of Mario's history.

Also, I saw where earlier that you said you didn't believe SMRPG influenced Paper Mario that much? Specifically with the "collecting seven stars" and "adding more flavor to usual enemies(like Goombas and Koopa Troopas)." I disagree with that. Paper Mario's original title was Super Mario RPG 2. Obviously, they would have looked at the previous version to build off of. And SMRPG was really the first game to start adding more personality to characters. A Goomba opens a shop after abandoning Bowser during the game. And, Boswer is super cool about it. Heck, we really get to see Bowser as something more than "Main Villain" for the first time in this series. I think that's really cool about SMRPG.

Obviously, none of that has to do with Geno at all. But, I think he would be a good character to represent the RPG side of Nintendo. Plus, he and Mallow were both created as Nintendo characters from a different company. How often has Nintendo let other people work on their main franchises? And, how about back then? It just didn't happen. Mallow has a very simple design, which I like. But Geno's design really feels like a combination of Square and Nintendo to me!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't think characters are selected over each other unless they are from the same game. If Geno gets in, it'll be because he is a fan favourite who Sakurai expressed interest to turn into a fighter.
I doubt he'll just go and say "Daisy and Geno is enough, let's skip Paper Mario" if Paper Mario is considered seriously to begin with.
Also nobody predicted getting three Fire Emblem fighters last time and we still did.
By that point though, Sakurai stated about the overabundance of FE characters. Meaning he does consider the possibility of too many characters from a single franchise.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Sorry to anyone betting on a character. The next blog post is Wiley's Castle!

https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/1019494481299570690

Here's the English version of the post:

"Today's Stage
Wily Castle
Hazards from the previous games for both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U will appear on this stage. The Yellow Devil will cause a big explosion when it's defeated, but the player who landed the final attack doesn't take any damage. Use this to your advantage!"

osby

Smash Obsessed
By that point though, Sakurai stated about the overabundance of FE characters. Meaning he does consider the possibility of too many characters from a single franchise.
Sure but he still added Corrin because he thought he would be a unique addition (or rather, development team convinced him). Having too many characters from a franchise definitely a minus for potential newcomers but not a death sentence.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I agree, I really don’t think Geno is competing against Sora because Geno isn’t really a second Square Enix character and more of a Mario character (Geno will most likely be grouped with the Mario characters and have a Mushroom Emblem).

I think both will get in because they both have had immense support during the ballot, and I don’t think the whole Disney “issue” is a problem because it seems that Disney and Nomura are fine with Sora in Smash, it’s just that licensing with both SE and Disney is going to take longer in order for the rights to be available.
Geno is not going to get grouped with Mario because that's not how third parties work. Geno is a Square-Enix character first and foremost then a Mario character. He will most definitely get his own symbol. Omega Tyrant Omega Tyrant Sakurai also stated that Square also gave harsh criticism when they were developing Cloud. We also got barebones FF music at that.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Geno is not going to get grouped with Mario because that's not how third parties work. Geno is a Square-Enix character first and foremost then a Mario character. He will most definitely get his own symbol.
That's not how it works either. Being a 3rd party doesn't magically make him something other than a Mario character. He could get his own symbol or have the Mushroom symbol. Both are quite possible. Likewise, Paper Mario could go either way if he was added. A unique symbol or the Mushroom symbol since he's a Mario character and all.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
That's not how it works either. Being a 3rd party doesn't magically make him something other than a Mario character. He could get his own symbol or have the Mushroom symbol. Both are quite possible. Likewise, Paper Mario could go either way if he was added. A unique symbol or the Mushroom symbol since he's a Mario character and all.
I did state he's a Mario character; however he's still a Square-Enix creation and thus a Square-Enix character first. It is up to square to decide if they would allow for Geno to be grouped with Mario; Nintendo has little say over this matter other than proposals. Isn't paper mario a 1st party though?

He isn't behind any barriers unlike Geno. Square is very picky as well. Even Tetsuya Nomura (creator of KH and Cloud) stated he just couldn't say no to Cloud because its Smash, which signals to me he did actually think about saying no at first then considered how big Smash is.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I did state he's a Mario character; however he's still a Square-Enix creation and thus a Square-Enix character first. It is up to square to decide if they would allow for Geno to be grouped with Mario; Nintendo has little say over this matter other than proposals. Isn't paper mario a 1st party though? He isn't behind any barriers unlike Geno. Square is very picky as well.
There's literally no reason for Square to want him to have his own symbol as well that is easily able to be brought up(Square being picky doesn't mean much here. Picky about what exactly? That he's grouped with the characters... he debuted with?). He's till a Mario character at the end of the day. They know he's a Mario character. They still treat him as one. He's just not a Nintendo-owned character. There's still a difference. He isn't from a specifically different series. Super Mario RPG, unlike Paper Mario(who actually isn't just his own full-out artstyle, but is a very different series of games), is a lot more tied to the regular Mario series in many ways. Not counting how it has Final Fantasy references, or if you will, the SE style.

Again, it could go either way. But so far there's little reason to believe they would care. It's either his own symbol(which doesn't have much of a reason to bother with) or the Mushroom symbol(which still makes sense). Both are valid options and at the end of the day, there's no way to tell what could happen.

Geno isn't behind any real barriers to be grouped with the Mario characters either. Plus, if the theory about the roster design is correct, he'd be only grouped by symbol, not by roster placement(where he'd be closer to the end, like Ridley and Daisy would be).

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
This slow burn of new information is killing me. Nothing for 3 months after Inkling, 3 whole months of "it's a port, don't expect anything new"... and a month after the game's proper reveal, no other meaningful new content leading to "they already showed everything, they listed the final roster size and said 'everyone is here'".

There's obviously more content in the game, and it's obviously more than a port. But why are they being so coy about it?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Well my stage reveal theory was wrong (that they would only show updates of new stages or stages that weren't in Smash 4). This means we could get an update for every stage :/. I'm guessing it's more likely that sometime close to release Sakurai will unlock the stage section on the site and it will be similar to the character section and list all stages.

Well one more theory left to be crushed! Pac-Man this week! (Or at least as the next third party).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I swear any and all Captain Toad talk in this discussion is only ever posted at 3am for me. You guys trying to exclude me? I weep. WEEP.

Never said you couldn't utilize the fact he couldn't jump to make something completely unique. But Imma keep it real with you chief.

1. If you think Sakurai is gonna be this level of madman genius to make Captain Toad viable among all these fast jumping boys is reaching IMO.
Get on my level Sakurai I guess. (At least I think that's a compliment with the madman genius bit)

I've actually got a few more ideas to make this moveset more viable too so I'll update it soon...

-----------------------------------------

I'm with Pokechu on the Geno thing. Not sure if it's because the UK didn't get it until late and as a result I don't have quite the same nostalgia for SMRPG but Geno's always been a weird choice to me.

I'd be way more accepting had he been reintroduced in other Mario spinoffs first. Like the outcry is there, yet Nintendo is ignoring putting him and Mallow in the likes of Kart, Tennis, etc even though that'd go down far better than adding the likes of Baby Daisy, Blooper, Lakitu, etc.

It's especially jarring to me that Geno is being seriously considered for Smash as a Mario character when he and Mallow couldn't even cameo in the Mario sports games Square themselves created. Instead we got Slime, Moogle, Cactur, White Mage, Black Mage and Ninja. Sure you could say Square wanted to rep other series, but you couldn't slap Geno in Cactur's place for more variety?

If Geno isn't considered a big enough deal by Square and Nintendo to appear in the Mario/Square crossover game(which he, Mallow, Boshi, etc were basically made for) having him considered for the super limited fighter spaces in Smash to represent ALL of Nintendo's series with is headscratchingly weird.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Pls show the original leak. The link has no info
Opposed leak from reddit user "Verdeckt":

To start off I used to work at Sora until I got terminated back in late 2017 for circumstances I can’t discuss. I’ve decided to share some info regarding the new title with my sources being myself and others I’ve worked with whose names are staying withheld. To start off NO one knows who is actually in the game in the company until given notice. I’ve been lucky enough to have sources from actual people working on the characters and sources to support this. In decision to share this is because there is 5 months are left and why not. I’ve seen so many leaks going around and it’s hard for anybody to take anything seriously so sharing this and whether or not you believe it is all up to you. What I have to offer is insight on Newcomers, Stages, and Modes and will be posting one category at a time.

NEWCOMERS:

*Inkling, Daisy, and Ridley were already revealed at E3. As for newcomers there will be only 7 more to appear. (10 total)

CHORUS KIDS Will be playable and finally realized as a character after being scrapped in Smash WiiU/3DS. Their mechanic as a character was similar to the Ice Climbers and were decided to be implemented in the next title. They are a trio character and their movement relies on the rhythm in which the player presses the button on the controller in sync with the characters movement and attacks. The better you are in rhythm with the character determines the amount of damage you deal in attacks. Their Final Smash has their conductor come down and direct the choir playing a short verse of "Dreams if Our Generation" (from Rhythm Heaven Fever Wii) ending with a reckless scream as they do in the DS title of Rhythm Heaven.

HEIHACHI The grand master of martial arts appears in Smash. Heihachi from the Tekken series is added to the fray and was part of the top realizable characters from the ballot. He was considered early on in development working with Bandai Namco and such. His moveset is difficult almost like Ryus where the direction of his attacks revolves around the players direction of the control stick. What differentiates the two is his moves from Axe Kicks to Cresent Kicks along with short and long jabs. He will have both his young alt. from Tekken 3 and old alt. from Tekken 7. His final smash will have him glow in electricity and perform a devistating combo causing your opponent to explode on spot.

*CHARCTER FROM XENOBLADE SERIES: The legendary Aegis driver Rex is the pick here and for a short time competed with Elma and Cross. With Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 in development during the same time it came down to who seemed the most intriguing in what they had to offer. Cross was quickly scrapped as an idea due to the games avatar not really bringing nothing unique to the table though he will appear as a trophy. Next was Elma was close due to her potential in utilizing the mechs, but in the end took the place as an assist trophy in favor of Rex being able to represent the new Xenoblade 2, a direct sequel that would be released on the Switch. His moveset uses his arts similar to Shulk but his aegis sword switches between Pyra and Mythra. His movement and attacks are based off his game from Anchor Shot and Double Spinning Edge etc. Dromarch and Tora will be featured in his Final Smash and perform in similar manner to Shulks Final Smash Chain Attack.

SIMON BELMONT Was a popular vote in the smash ballot (out of realizable characters he was consideted top 20). One of the last of big icons in gaming, Simon will utilize his whip as his neutral attack similar to Mega Man using his Mega Buster as his neutral attacks. He will use his classic design from the original Castlevania as well as his look from Super Castlevania IV. His Final smash will feature him using his Cross to stun all the opponents in his field of vision and then proceeds to hit his opponents with a devastating whip lash. Gray Fox from the Metal Gear series will also reappear as an assist trophy.

*POKÉMON FROM SUN/MOON Decidueye was picked to represent the new generation where he features a moves from the game like Leaf Blade, Spirit Shackle and his Final Smash being his Z Move Sinister Arrow. He was chosen out the game Pokemon Sun and Moon titles through his design and his Sakurais faith in the characters moveset potential. Other ideas were Alola Raichu (who’s now a Pokéball item), Incineroar (Was quickly dismissed after consideration), Mimikyu (to what believe was going to have few assets from Pikachu but NOT aimed to be an echo fighter), and Lycanroc (Where the idea was for his Final Smash have him transform into his Night form and use his version of Lycanium Z).

*ARMS CHARACTER: Was one of the debatable characters on whether he should even be included in Smash due to him being a newly fresh IP. But the character Springman made it through the process as the character seemed he had a lot to offer from ranged attacks and a unique design that if wasn’t included in this iteration of smash, may never be able to be realized. His move-set revolves around his different sets of abilities from Toaster, Boomerang, and Tri-bolt. His Final smash will be a barrage of fists thrown at his opponents similar to DK and Giga Mac, though Springman’s range to trigger his Final smash has more range.

RAYMAN The last character here, amd was popular in the Ballot from Western audiences, he's finally chosen to be playable. With Nintendo and Ubisofts recent relationship and cooperation it helped make the process easier. His move set will heavily resemble Rayman Legends as well reference some of his games from the past. His color swaps will include Rayblox, Raymesis etc. In his Final smash Rayman will rise the Mosquito and gives the player the ablility to shoot at their opponents from the background. Globox, Barbara, and the Teensies will appear as trophies. The Rabbids will appear as Assist trophy.

(Source tells me previous DLC Mii Costumes from Waves 1 through 6 will return along with new unique ones that are unlockable in game with some based off popular votes from the ballot).

STAGES:

Returning Stages: Peach's Castle (64), Delfino Plaza, Mario Bros., Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, Kongo Jungle (64), Jungle Hijinxs, Pirate Ship, Brinstar Depths, Pyroshpere, Yoshis Island (Melee), Wooly World, Fountain of Dreams, Orbital Gate Assault, Mute City (Melee), Gamer

New Stages: Aquarosa (Starfox Zero), City Trial (Kirby Air Ride), Hoshido (Fire Emblem Fates), Rhythm Heaven (Rhythm Heaven Series), Mishima Dojo (Tekken Series), Mor Adain (Xenoblade Chronicles 2), Dracula’s Castle (Castlevania Series), Melemele Island (Pokémon Sun/Moon), Spring Stadium (ARMS), Glade of Dreams (Rayman Legends)

*Stages will be categorized by Normal stages which surprisingly will fit all 110 stages on screen, and Custom stages where “Stage Builder” will Return and have have both elements from Smash Bros. Brawl and Wii U in order to allow players to create both structured stages and creative stages to their liking.

MODES:

Classic Mode: (Based on the 3DS Version but revamped, Race to Finish, Trophy Rush, and Target Smash will be featured in this mode.)

Adventure Mode: (Returns from Melee but due to the huge roster the mode will only feature areas and stages from the original Smash 64 roster Ex: Mushroom Kingdom, DK Jungle, Hyrule Temple etc. As you continue to unlock characters more variety will be added to your adventure mode experience Ex: Unlocking characters like Meta Knight, Falco and Greninja will add them within the mode to be fought within their respective franchise.)

All-Star Mode: (Unlike Smash for WiiU/3DS this Mode must be unlocked once again just like Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl. Stages will still go by year of relevance as well.)

Event Match: (Will function just as in Smash WiiU and this time around it will help streamline the idea of unlocking other characters like in the past. Setting the difficulty is still there so you can manage your event match experience.)

Target Smash: (Functions just like it did in Smash Bros. Brawl bringing Levels back and featuring multiplayer as well.)

Target Blast: (Returning from Smash Bros. WiiU/3DS)

Home Run Contest: (The mode has a different background but as far as that it functions the same)

Multi-Man Smash: (The Miis are still the Enemies and fictions the same as in the other installments)

Smash Run: (The whole area from the 3DS Version Returns as well as a few new areas as well. This mode being in the Switch will allow you to play both Local and Online Multiplayer. (Enemies from a hidden character’s franchise will not appear until unlocked within the game.)

Smash Tour: (Revamped and better than the previous installment stay tuned)

Tournament Mode: (Now available both Local and Online)

Smash Royale: (The new mode that features the player from choosing a number of different characters to a max of 5 and battling it out. The stock icons of each Fighter you have chosen will be featured under your damage percentage and will be up to only 4 players. (Will also be an online mode)

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gjGGgyX81Zk

Daroach's potential moveset for smash writes itself (then again, most star allies character share that same distinction...). Daroach is one of my secret wants for Smash Ultimate. (He was also find to write as a kleptomaniac in my old fanfic...). He absolutely wouldn't get the next Kirby slot over Bandana Dee though so maybe as a secret 5th Kirby character? Sakurai made the dang series, like he'd oppose...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All this debate about Geno's placement and in the end the list will be in character introduction order and he'll be plopped at the end.

I think this whole numbering this is marketing wrapped around a big load of "I give up, I can't sort this mess out". And at this point it's hard to blame them.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I'm dying waiting for the update so here's another game while we pray for the new track to tide us over for the week.

Pick your favorite newcomers you want based on their color (main or secondary color)! My list:
Red - Ashley / Celica
Blue - Bandana Dee
Green - Linkle
Yellow - Zeraora / Mythra
Purple - Hilda (LBW)
Orange - Goku Infernape
White - Amaterasu / 2B
Black - Shadow
Brown - Sora Just Monika
Pink - Yarn Kirby / Lip
Time to jump on the bandwagon while it's broken :^)

Red - Ken
Blue - Bandana Dee
Green - Lyn/Linkle
Yellow - Mythra
Purple - Marx
Orange - Bandana Dee
White - Dante
Black - Black Shadow
Brown - Geno
Pink - Goku Black Dixie

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Next was Elma was close due to her potential in utilizing the mechs,
This right here is two layers of bull****. It's one thing to look at an XBX character and think "the most obvious basis for their moveset is using a giant robot" (as opposed to switching weapons, soul voices, etc), but to then drop that character after proposing a giant ****ing robot as the basis of their moveset.

It'd be like proposing the Ice Climbers as a duo fighter because they were in a 2-player game, and then going with Urban Champion instead.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I actually agree, but I feel like we left the realm of "Only necessary characters" a long time ago.
Was Wii Fit necessary? Was Mr G&W necessary? Probably not but they're here and I love them.
And i'm gonna love Ashley once she's here (Hopefully)!
And you bet that I'm all for characters that are allegedly not necessary (Syrup? Tiny? Lanky? Stanley the Bugman? Bring it!).

The hierarchal leader of this fungi clan of anthropomorphic organisms does not have the capacity to stretch his lower-body muscles in order expand and contract with enough strength to overcome the weight of his own body and increase in vertical distance due to a handicap presented by the overbearing weight of his accessory items of choice.

Something like that.
This feels like the new "Ridley is too big!" for me.

Rejecting good OST's will get you sent to Video Game Jail. /s
Yeah, Tooty is stuck there since 2000.

Resurgence and Sustinence Versions? When have gone the days versions when versions were simply called Red and Blue?
Those are updated versions, not two versions of the same game released at the same time with a few differences.

This slow burn of new information is killing me. Nothing for 3 months after Inkling, 3 whole months of "it's a port, don't expect anything new"... and a month after the game's proper reveal, no other meaningful new content leading to "they already showed everything, they listed the final roster size and said 'everyone is here'".

There's obviously more content in the game, and it's obviously more than a port. But why are they being so coy about it?
Maybe they think it's better to focus on the stuff they haven't finished yet while showing off what's been in E3? Also, the relatively short amount of time before the game releases, this isn't Kingdom Hearts III.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

To start off I used to work at Sora until I got terminated back in late 2017 for circumstances I can’t discuss. I’ve decided to share some info regarding the new title with my sources being myself and others I’ve worked with whose names are staying withheld. To start off NO one knows who is actually in the game in the company until given notice. I’ve been lucky enough to have sources from actual people working on the characters and sources to support this. In decision to share this is because there is 5 months are left and why not. I’ve seen so many leaks going around and it’s hard for anybody to take anything seriously so sharing this and whether or not you believe it is all up to you. What I have to offer is insight on Newcomers, Stages, and Modes and will be posting one category at a time.

NEWCOMERS:

*Inkling, Daisy, and Ridley were already revealed at E3. As for newcomers there will be only 7 more to appear. (10 total)

CHORUS KIDS Will be playable and finally realized as a character after being scrapped in Smash WiiU/3DS. Their mechanic as a character was similar to the Ice Climbers and were decided to be implemented in the next title. They are a trio character and their movement relies on the rhythm in which the player presses the button on the controller in sync with the characters movement and attacks. The better you are in rhythm with the character determines the amount of damage you deal in attacks. Their Final Smash has their conductor come down and direct the choir playing a short verse of "Dreams if Our Generation" (from Rhythm Heaven Fever Wii) ending with a reckless scream as they do in the DS title of Rhythm Heaven.

HEIHACHI The grand master of martial arts appears in Smash. Heihachi from the Tekken series is added to the fray and was part of the top realizable characters from the ballot. He was considered early on in development working with Bandai Namco and such. His moveset is difficult almost like Ryus where the direction of his attacks revolves around the players direction of the control stick. What differentiates the two is his moves from Axe Kicks to Cresent Kicks along with short and long jabs. He will have both his young alt. from Tekken 3 and old alt. from Tekken 7. His final smash will have him glow in electricity and perform a devistating combo causing your opponent to explode on spot.

*CHARCTER FROM XENOBLADE SERIES: The legendary Aegis driver Rex is the pick here and for a short time competed with Elma and Cross. With Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 in development during the same time it came down to who seemed the most intriguing in what they had to offer. Cross was quickly scrapped as an idea due to the games avatar not really bringing nothing unique to the table though he will appear as a trophy. Next was Elma was close due to her potential in utilizing the mechs, but in the end took the place as an assist trophy in favor of Rex being able to represent the new Xenoblade 2, a direct sequel that would be released on the Switch. His moveset uses his arts similar to Shulk but his aegis sword switches between Pyra and Mythra. His movement and attacks are based off his game from Anchor Shot and Double Spinning Edge etc. Dromarch and Tora will be featured in his Final Smash and perform in similar manner to Shulks Final Smash Chain Attack.

SIMON BELMONT Was a popular vote in the smash ballot (out of realizable characters he was consideted top 20). One of the last of big icons in gaming, Simon will utilize his whip as his neutral attack similar to Mega Man using his Mega Buster as his neutral attacks. He will use his classic design from the original Castlevania as well as his look from Super Castlevania IV. His Final smash will feature him using his Cross to stun all the opponents in his field of vision and then proceeds to hit his opponents with a devastating whip lash. Gray Fox from the Metal Gear series will also reappear as an assist trophy.

*POKÉMON FROM SUN/MOON Decidueye was picked to represent the new generation where he features a moves from the game like Leaf Blade, Spirit Shackle and his Final Smash being his Z Move Sinister Arrow. He was chosen out the game Pokemon Sun and Moon titles through his design and his Sakurais faith in the characters moveset potential. Other ideas were Alola Raichu (who’s now a Pokéball item), Incineroar (Was quickly dismissed after consideration), Mimikyu (to what believe was going to have few assets from Pikachu but NOT aimed to be an echo fighter), and Lycanroc (Where the idea was for his Final Smash have him transform into his Night form and use his version of Lycanium Z).

*ARMS CHARACTER: Was one of the debatable characters on whether he should even be included in Smash due to him being a newly fresh IP. But the character Springman made it through the process as the character seemed he had a lot to offer from ranged attacks and a unique design that if wasn’t included in this iteration of smash, may never be able to be realized. His move-set revolves around his different sets of abilities from Toaster, Boomerang, and Tri-bolt. His Final smash will be a barrage of fists thrown at his opponents similar to DK and Giga Mac, though Springman’s range to trigger his Final smash has more range.

RAYMAN The last character here, amd was popular in the Ballot from Western audiences, he's finally chosen to be playable. With Nintendo and Ubisofts recent relationship and cooperation it helped make the process easier. His move set will heavily resemble Rayman Legends as well reference some of his games from the past. His color swaps will include Rayblox, Raymesis etc. In his Final smash Rayman will rise the Mosquito and gives the player the ablility to shoot at their opponents from the background. Globox, Barbara, and the Teensies will appear as trophies. The Rabbids will appear as Assist trophy.

(Source tells me previous DLC Mii Costumes from Waves 1 through 6 will return along with new unique ones that are unlockable in game with some based off popular votes from the ballot).

STAGES:

Returning Stages: Peach's Castle (64), Delfino Plaza, Mario Bros., Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, Kongo Jungle (64), Jungle Hijinxs, Pirate Ship, Brinstar Depths, Pyroshpere, Yoshis Island (Melee), Wooly World, Fountain of Dreams, Orbital Gate Assault, Mute City (Melee), Gamer

New Stages: Aquarosa (Starfox Zero), City Trial (Kirby Air Ride), Hoshido (Fire Emblem Fates), Rhythm Heaven (Rhythm Heaven Series), Mishima Dojo (Tekken Series), Mor Adain (Xenoblade Chronicles 2), Dracula’s Castle (Castlevania Series), Melemele Island (Pokémon Sun/Moon), Spring Stadium (ARMS), Glade of Dreams (Rayman Legends)

*Stages will be categorized by Normal stages which surprisingly will fit all 110 stages on screen, and Custom stages where “Stage Builder” will Return and have have both elements from Smash Bros. Brawl and Wii U in order to allow players to create both structured stages and creative stages to their liking.

MODES:

Classic Mode: (Based on the 3DS Version but revamped, Race to Finish, Trophy Rush, and Target Smash will be featured in this mode.)

Adventure Mode: (Returns from Melee but due to the huge roster the mode will only feature areas and stages from the original Smash 64 roster Ex: Mushroom Kingdom, DK Jungle, Hyrule Temple etc. As you continue to unlock characters more variety will be added to your adventure mode experience Ex: Unlocking characters like Meta Knight, Falco and Greninja will add them within the mode to be fought within their respective franchise.)

All-Star Mode: (Unlike Smash for WiiU/3DS this Mode must be unlocked once again just like Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl. Stages will still go by year of relevance as well.)

Event Match: (Will function just as in Smash WiiU and this time around it will help streamline the idea of unlocking other characters like in the past. Setting the difficulty is still there so you can manage your event match experience.)

Target Smash: (Functions just like it did in Smash Bros. Brawl bringing Levels back and featuring multiplayer as well.)

Home Run Contest: (The mode has a different background but as far as that it functions the same)

Multi-Man Smash: (The Miis are still the Enemies and fictions the same as in the other installments)

Smash Run: (The whole area from the 3DS Version Returns as well as a few new areas as well. This mode being in the Switch will allow you to play both Local and Online Multiplayer. (Enemies from a hidden character’s franchise will not appear until unlocked within the game.)

Smash Royale: (The new mode that features the player from choosing a number of different characters to a max of 5 and battling it out. The stock icons of each Fighter you have chosen will be featured under your damage percentage and will be up to only 4 players. (Will also be an online mode)
Got lots of details but way too much for a typical leak.

Also.

Bruh.

How do you know who was considered and why?

No successful leak has had that.

Also, with three different third party characters why were they not at E3?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
In the unlikely scenario in which both Geno and Paper Mario gets in, I can see them sharing a "series" separate from Mario.

I mostly say this because I think pretty much all the Mario RPGS are way more fun than most of the main series Mario games and I'd like it to be that way. It'll happen, my dad is Nintendo.

Disclaimer: treating this as if I'm presenting an argument and this isn't just an early morning musing will give you a hernia

osby

Smash Obsessed
In the unlikely scenario in which both Geno and Paper Mario gets in, I can see them sharing a "series" separate from Mario.

I mostly say this because I think pretty much all the Mario RPGS are way more fun than most of the main series Mario games and I'd like it to be that way. It'll happen, my dad is Nintendo.

Disclaimer: treating this as if I'm presenting an argument and this isn't just an early morning musing will give you a hernia
I mean Dr. Mario has nothing to do with Super Mario series but he's still included in it. Waluigi too, even though he's not really a canon character.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Both the Paper Mario stage and Geno Mii Costume use the Mario emblem, I highly doubt that's going to change regardless of what happens.

All you people talking about Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario. Here I am just hoping Mario & Luigi (you know, The Mario RPG series that's still going and still an RPG) gets something more than music, I still love the music (never let up please) But I'd love a stage, maybe an assist trophy.

Wouldn't say no to Fawful being playable either, but I accept that despite his popularity and prominence in two games, that he isn't really significant enough to be playable in a game like Smash *cough geno cough*

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
To further drive home the wonkiness of the Mario "sub-series," Dr. Mario is considered part of the "Super Mario" series while Wrecking Crew--despite having Mario as its lead--is considered its own series in Smash...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

NEWCOMERS:

STAGES:

MODES:

Isn't Sora Ltd. literally just Sakurai and his wife? Like, it's just their freelance studio, there aren't really any hired developers, it's just their private company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom