• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Man... if I'd be real the only character I'm completely against being in Smash is Goku, and even if he made it in I wouldn't be THAT offended...

I mean, sure, there are characters I don't really care about being in the game, like Shovel Knight or even Shantae (PS. I adore Shantae) but some people here just have such strong opinions about who's in or not, lol

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Survive isn’t a song, but is instead Konami’s version of Star Wars Battlefront II (2017), aka Microtransactions: The Game

You gotta pay a hefty fee to unlock more save slots, and a bunch of scummy practices
Oh... OH NOW I REMEMBERED! Oh it was so bad that I made myself forget. I remember seeing Angry Joe's review about it, how could Konami call that a game.
Um, I think that was supposed to be a response to MY question...
Ack! your right sorry about that.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I remember the first time I played Super Mario RPG. It was during the Brawl speculation period and people were going mental over Geno so I thought I'd better check this character out.

I've gotta admit, the hype completely killed the character for me. In his only appearance, I find his characterisation dull and his existence and purpose weak and poorly explained.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he gets in as I'd love for this game to be Ultimate for as many people as possible... but I just don't fully understand how he got the support base he did.

Cool design, yes, but surely that isn't enough?

I might be bias though because I've always preferred Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi RPG series'.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Never said you couldn't utilize the fact he couldn't jump to make something completely unique. But Imma keep it real with you chief.

1. If you think Sakurai is gonna be this level of madman genius to make Captain Toad viable among all these fast jumping boys is reaching IMO.
2. Sakurai could just make him jump anyway

I also never said Captain Toad is improbable, I don't want Captain Toad because seeing him jump with the backpack on will make me vomit so hard the jet propulsion will send me to the moon because to me it's ****ing unsettling because it's ignoring a lot of his character.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I worded that sentence poorly. What I meant was, I've seen some people in the past who deemed Geno an unnecessary character due to his age, and the fact that he's only appeared in two games (three, if you count the Mii costume in Smash 4).

And no, I'd love to see Ashley in Smash. She's popular and relevant, the two things that people claim Geno doesn't have (he's had popularity for a long time, and the Mii costume made him relevant. Come on, guys. He doesn't need a complete in-game appearance to be made relevant again).

I find it odd how some people still have a problem with her, when she's actually one of the likeliest characters this game.
Thanks, man :).
And while I don't think he's locked in, I think now is Geno's biggest chance to get in and I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Oh wow... I'm really sorry for I how I handled my self there, I really misinterpreted what you said. Thanks for the nice response too, I really don't deserve that for what I said too.

I think the reason I kinda ranted is just because I'm really kinda fed up of seeing some people actively go against certain very popular characters just because they don't like them. I just feel that not liking them seems like an invalid reason to not want a character.

Again, I'm really sorry for kinda blowing up on you there, thanks for being cool about it!
Naaaaah it's no problem!! You're in the right, I should've watched that wall, it really did come out longer than I thought :laugh:

It is really frustrating to see people go against a favorite character just because they don't like them, but if Geno gets in, I'll be disappointed personally but happy for his fans, you know? That 360 "rags to riches" would be amazing! :laugh:

It's no problem at all though, you weren't unjustified at all!!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I don’t want certain characters in because it’s possible that the time could be spent on another character.

With seemingly less newcomer spots and a stricter rule for DLC, really Captain Toad is obviously competing with Geno since they’re both from the same series.

So it unfortunately comes down to, would you add 2 Mario characters with a limited newcomer lineup?

And in this case, Sakurai probably wouldn’t, and spend the time he would’ve spent on a second Mario to a different character from a different series or an entirely new series.

And DLC is a whole other can of worms, since we have seen that a lot of the newcomers from DLC are third party characters, since it’s easier to negotiate with. And it seems that some of the First Party DLC characters will be from recent games, which was dominated by Corrin and very possibly Rex/Pyra and Spring Man.

That’s my two cents.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
If we're talking Geno, I just want to say that it's really not up to Sakurai to add him. It's up to Square Enix. This is particularly why I don't think Geno is happening. It all goes back to what Sakurai said many years ago

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

I cannot fathom any reason why SE would want Geno in Smash as a playable character. A small cameo is fine, but I guarantee that SE has hundreds of other characters they'd want in Smash before Geno. Hell, they didn't even have Geno in their Mario Sports games they developed.
If SquareEnix had no one of their own in Smash, I could see why they would be apprehensive about allowing Geno in Smash since they would get essentially no promotion out of it (as Geno is still a Mario character), but since they already have Cloud in the game, I don't see why they would particularly care if Sakurai wants to use Geno, it's not like Geno being there would prevent Sakurai from using another of their characters if it was desired and they still get paid. Additionally Sakurai stated SE were much easier to deal with than expected when he went to them to request Cloud and the Geno costume, so I think people may have been exaggerating a bit too much about how protective SE is supposed to be of their property.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That wasn't meant to be some anti Geno murder and I'd appreciate it if you didn't treat it like one.

I just explained why I find him kind of unexciting.

He'd still be neat in Smash and he will probably grow on me but as of now, meh.
Seemed like one, especially when one of the reasons why people want him applies to many others people want
By rejecting Geno, you're also rejecting Super Mario RPG's soundtrack. And that's criminal. Rejecting good OST's will get you sent to Video Game Jail. /s

But in all seriousness, Geno would be cool. I've never played Mario RPG myself, but I have watched many a Let's Play, and he looks like a perfect fit for Smash.
Seems like a valid reason for a character to join...music decides many things in life

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I have no problem with Geno, I wouldn't be opposed to having him in Smash, but if he got in and I found out the reason why Sora couldn't get into Smash was because SE chose Geno over him, I'd be disappointed, I mean I'll still be happy for all the Geno fans cause getting your fav character is the best, but I know I'd be a little salty.

Wambo

Smash Ace
As someone who's not too fond of Geno...

He's overrated and his only real benefit is being a popular request. That's not a bad thing, mind you, but he's underwhelming.

He wasn't that great in SMRPG, and just kind of exists plot wise. He explains who he is, joins your party and does nothing else til he leaves. Meanwhile, Mallow has an entire quest of self discovery. Geno is a character I can't see being popular if he debuted nowadays.

Again, he's not terrible but... I just don't get the hype much. If you really want to represent the RPGs, we have Paper Mario who's had several games. You can say SMRPG was important all you want but...honestly arguments like that mean jack for convincing other people to like other characters. I'd love some SMRPG music but it's not that big of a deal.

Also this is purely on me, but I think his hat is dumb. It'd look much better without the orange prong things.

I still like Geno at the end of the day, but he's just okay to me.
By the same logic, Paper Mario shouldn't even be in Smash. What is his quest, other than to save Peach? Geno at least talks, and has a different appearance/unique moveset. His inclusion would also show that there was more effort put into the game, rather than throwing another easy 2D character in.

Also, Paper Mario lost his popularity outside of Smash. Can't really say the same about Geno, other than the fact that the kiddies don't know him.

Also, the "orange prong things" are meant to represent curly hair sticking out of his hat. The blue hat itself is similar in resemblance to old FF-style mage hats.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don’t want certain characters in because it’s possible that the time could be spent on another character.

With seemingly less newcomer spots and a stricter rule for DLC, really Captain Toad is obviously competing with Geno since they’re both from the same series.

So it unfortunately comes down to, would you add 2 Mario characters with a limited newcomer lineup?

And in this case, Sakurai probably wouldn’t, and spend the time he would’ve spent on a second Mario to a different character from a different series or an entirely new series.

And DLC is a whole other can of worms, since we have seen that a lot of the newcomers from DLC are third party characters, since it’s easier to negotiate with. And it seems that some of the First Party DLC characters will be from recent games, which was dominated by Corrin and very possibly Rex/Pyra and Spring Man.

That’s my two cents.
Choosing between Captain Toad and Geno...easily Captain Toad over Geno no problems

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ahahaha, I've never played SMRPG, so I'm going to have to abstain from this discussion.

Wambo

Smash Ace
could you quote where I said I wouldn't buy the game if Geno got in? :^(
You literally just said on the last page that you wouldn't buy the game if Geno got in, despite your "babies" Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back.

That's just straight-up lying to avoid getting ****.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
By the same logic, Paper Mario shouldn't even be in Smash. What is his quest, other than to save Peach? Geno at least talks, and has a different appearance/unique moveset. His inclusion would also show that there was more effort put into the game, rather than throwing another easy 2D character in.
I can't tell if this is a really snarky comparison or if you've never played a Paper Mario game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I honestly don't think a single character would make me not buy Smash or think lesser of the development team.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
You literally just said on the last page that you wouldn't buy the game if Geno got in, despite your "babies" Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back.

That's just straight-up lying to avoid getting ****.
hmmm, I don't know bout that... :confused:
idk I see where he's coming from

I got my babies (squirtle, ivysaur <3) but if geno sneaks his way in?????

i will be heartbroken

nothing can make up for that

so I see where he's coming from, some inclusions we just find unfavorable. Really unfavorable.
never said I wouldn't buy the game if Geno got in

:confused::confused::confused: ??

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Man... if I'd be real the only character I'm completely against being in Smash is Goku, and even if he made it in I wouldn't be THAT offended...

I mean, sure, there are characters I don't really care about being in the game, like Shovel Knight or even Shantae (PS. I adore Shantae) but some people here just have such strong opinions about who's in or not, lol
Yeah there are characters I really don't care for or find outright unappealling, such as both the currently debated Geno and Toad, but I can't be mad about any character's inclusion, every character has their fans and the roster should ideally try to strike as many bases as it can rather than expecting to cater exclusively to my tastes. I don't treat the Smash roster as some sacred thing only "deserving" characters can be on, so I'm not going to care if a oneshot side character or an indie or a non-video game character makes it in. I just find it's a better mindset to let people enjoy the characters they like while hoping I can get some of the hype too when a character I like is revealed.

The only character inclusion who could truly irk me at this point is one that demands an excessive amount of developmental resources and would have resulted in multiple other characters not making it in, e.g. another character like the Pokemon Trainer being made.

Last edited:

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'll take a unique, fun character any day over someone with relevancy/popularity on their side. And I frankly don't care that much about too many characters from a certain series or too many third parties. At the end of the day, it's about how fun the character is, not who the character is.

Take Corrin for instance. When I found out the last DLC would be another FE character, sure I was disappointed, there were other characters I wanted much more. But Corrin turned out to be super fun to play as. Sure, I've never played an FE game in my life and have no idea about the background of Corrin, but that doesn't matter. She's (yes, she, her female should be default) a wonderful addition to Smash and I would never give her up.

The reverse is true as well. I was super excited for Mega Man, he was all I wanted in Smash. But when he came, I just... didn't find him fun. Mega Man will always be one of my favorite franchises, but as a Smash character, he doesn't appeal to me.

Idk, that's just my view on things.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I suppose that since it's been brought up, I'll discuss the garbled text ""leak"" (extra airquotes for this one).
NEWCOMERS:
>Mona
>Simon Belmontest has background now toggles hope this poke Floats is backgrounding K. Rool
>Lycanroc
>Shadow
>Final reture missing to share demo ros Ultimate. Hope the returns, and canroc
>Simon the Target Blassic mode
>Fall about smash 64 is clario

RETURNING STAGES:
>Targets for each character and 3DS, featuring multiple pick many fighters are false, like all, Belmont
>Rex/Pyra

Hello, featuring with them the demon. Appare demo copy, but i'm in automate leaker of Fate
>K Rool
>Lycanroc
>Mini Mastle
>Igglybuff (for DK)

>New Donk City
>Mor Shiek)
>Shadow
>Waddley
>Tetra
>Clu Land
>New stages and the this information has listen to my function and rand 3DS, featurn
>melee a copy, as lister Hand
>Bowser's Castle

STAGES:
>Simon Belmont is Bowser's Castle
>K Rool

>Ninten to share missic again
>Mor Ardain
>almost has a high up position also be in this available in throws out smash!
Charactersus pokeballs the demo compa (for DK)

NEW ECHOES:
>Clu Clu Land
>classic Mode
>Gamecube
>Excitebike Ardain
>Mor Ardain
>New Donk City
>The this them yet

STAGES:
>Funky Kong multiple in the finished programming

NEW ECHOES:
>All-Star via difficulty.

Eventure Mode Qbby full name Run Contest Trophy Fight can appear of Melee returning the Sunne/Moone
>Indolinear to Melee and get you alls the back, and randomized posts isn't give my fight
>King Jr. (for Ardain
>milar Depths

MODES:
>Clu Clu Clu Land
>New Donkey Kong K. Rool
>Lycan tell you also stay tuned.

MODES:
>Funky Kong
>Dr. (for Jiggly)
>No, Pokemon
>Ms Pacman
>Dr. Mario and Break.

Hello, i won't gived well

First of all the Sunne/Moone
>Bowser's Castle

NEWCOMERS:
>Target Targets is just Trophy Fight
>alleon
Some good comments from 4chan:
What the actual **** is this gibberish
English so broken that even Bob the Builder can't fix it.
Did you have a stroke typing this?
Harsh (in typical 4chan fashion), but I don't know where else to start with this one.

Doesn't seem legit at all. I don't even know if I should log it, or even how I would log it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If SquareEnix had no one of their own in Smash, I could see why they would be apprehensive about allowing Geno in Smash since they would get essentially no promotion out of it (as Geno is still a Mario character), but since they already have Cloud in the game, I don't see why they would particularly care if Sakurai wants to use Geno, it's not like Geno being there would prevent Sakurai from using another of their characters if it was desired. Additionally Sakurai stated SE were much easier to deal with than expected when he went to them to request Cloud and the Geno costume, so I think people may have been exaggerating a bit too much about how protective SE is supposed to be of their property.
SE has a vested interest in Cloud, though. Especially with the Remake existing. First and Foremost, SE is a business and their decisions are going to reflect that. Sakurai came to them for Cloud and there's nothing for them to reject in that proposal. It's win-win for both companies. Geno, on the otherhand, serves no purpose for SE. IMO, Geno's the kind of character that Square would allow to be playable after they get a 2nd rep since they have A LOT of series they could use Smash to promote. Geno's a bargaining chip for SE and that's about it.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Here's a new topic. For any of you Smash players who don't have character loyalty (and then some i.e. ME :yoshi:) I want to ask a question. If you are planning to main the same character you mained in Smash 4, what will it take for you to drop them for someone else?
I'm really a Link loyalist. He did just change hands on me, so that's annoying, but I don't think it's enough to make me drop him. Even Squirtle returning may not make me switch over.

Now if a certain dragonslayer joined the cast...then he might be in trouble...

And since we're back on Geno...again...I'll admit I'm not a huge fan. I never played SMRPG, so I don't know him - and for a Mario series character, it's weird to not have him shoved into every single Kart/Party/Sports (even the one Squeenix did a crossover with...?). Honestly, I'd put Waluigi as a more important Mario series character than him. My only connection to the doll is that I know he's got a decent fanbase and that his day is always very divisive in the RTC thread. I know he's only known for a single spin-off over 20 years ago, so it seems weird for him to get in over more established and/or mainline characters...especially when "They were only in one game!" or "They're from a spin-off!" are commonly used to argue against other characters I want.

If he got in, would I still buy it? Heck yes! Squirtle is back! Mewtwo's back! Ridley's in! I probably would leave Geno in the 'I don't play as these' file, but he might get more use from me than Dark Pit...

But like I've mentioned before, there's one character I want to see more than anyone else, and if he gets in, I'll celebrate every character addition at that point.

Polan

Smash Lord
regarding geno, there's an entirely new generation of smash players that haven't played SMRPG and weren't around for the brawl hype period. i imagine that's why so many people are apathetic or even hostile towards geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Take Corrin for instance. When I found out the last DLC would be another FE character, sure I was disappointed, there were other characters I wanted much more. But Corrin turned out to be super fun to play as. Sure, I've never played an FE game in my life and have no idea about the background of Corrin, but that doesn't matter. She's (yes, she, her female should be default) a wonderful addition to Smash and I would never give her up.
And to make matters better, Corrin is a bare foot waifu and the ultimate big sister
regarding geno, there's an entirely new generation of smash players that haven't played SMRPG and weren't around for the brawl hype period. i imagine that's why so many people are apathetic or even hostile towards geno..
Isn’t that list already high and stacked enough?

SonicMario

Smash Master

That’s my two cents.
I just don't necessarily agree. In the hypothetical scenario that Geno does get in and Captain Toad doesn't, I wouldn't see it as Sakurai choosing one over the other. Geno again would still be a special case as a cult favorite. And Captain Toad just unfortunately fell to the wayside in preference to other characters for other franchises. Though he'd probably at least be an assist trophy or have a stage appearance if Treasure Tracker gets a stage

Will Will
You have to keep in mind though that Captain Toad is all Toad fans have left at this point for hope. Regular Toad is already with Peach, they gave the Blue Toad that could of referred to the NSMB Series and 3D World to Daisy. And no other Toad besides Captain Toad has any kind of resume good enough for Smash inclusion. And Captain Toad might not be a character that could just be saved for DLC among competition with 3rd parties and characters that hit it big on the Switch. And Ultimate's time in the spotlight is probably going to last a long while. Meaning if the Captain doesn't get in, then there's just no Toad at all coming in this Smash. And the next Smash may substantially decrease the roster making it harder for Toad to find some space among a Mario representation that could be shrunken.

I can take another Smash without Toad if need be, but you've gotta at least understand the frustration that Toad fans must feel at this point. Whatever they do with Captain Toad whether he will be able to jump or they find some way around his heavy backpack. (Or somewhere in between if say Captain Toad's able to take off the backpack with the downside of being easier to KO) They'll take it. They've been through enough.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I suppose that since it's been brought up, I'll discuss the garbled text ""leak"" (extra airquotes for this one).
NEWCOMERS:
>Mona
>Simon Belmontest has background now toggles hope this poke Floats is backgrounding K. Rool
>Lycanroc
>Shadow
>Final reture missing to share demo ros Ultimate. Hope the returns, and canroc
>Simon the Target Blassic mode
>Fall about smash 64 is clario

RETURNING STAGES:
>Targets for each character and 3DS, featuring multiple pick many fighters are false, like all, Belmont
>Rex/Pyra

Hello, featuring with them the demon. Appare demo copy, but i'm in automate leaker of Fate
>K Rool
>Lycanroc
>Mini Mastle
>Igglybuff (for DK)

>New Donk City
>Mor Shiek)
>Shadow
>Waddley
>Tetra
>Clu Land
>New stages and the this information has listen to my function and rand 3DS, featurn
>melee a copy, as lister Hand
>Bowser's Castle

STAGES:
>Simon Belmont is Bowser's Castle
>K Rool

>Ninten to share missic again
>Mor Ardain
>almost has a high up position also be in this available in throws out smash!
Charactersus pokeballs the demo compa (for DK)

NEW ECHOES:
>Clu Clu Land
>classic Mode
>Gamecube
>Excitebike Ardain
>Mor Ardain
>New Donk City
>The this them yet

STAGES:
>Funky Kong multiple in the finished programming

NEW ECHOES:
>All-Star via difficulty.

Eventure Mode Qbby full name Run Contest Trophy Fight can appear of Melee returning the Sunne/Moone
>Indolinear to Melee and get you alls the back, and randomized posts isn't give my fight
>King Jr. (for Ardain
>milar Depths

MODES:
>Clu Clu Clu Land
>New Donkey Kong K. Rool
>Lycan tell you also stay tuned.

MODES:
>Funky Kong
>Dr. (for Jiggly)
>No, Pokemon
>Ms Pacman
>Dr. Mario and Break.

Hello, i won't gived well

First of all the Sunne/Moone
>Bowser's Castle

NEWCOMERS:
>Target Targets is just Trophy Fight
>alleon
Some good comments from 4chan:

Harsh (in typical 4chan fashion), but I don't know where else to start with this one.

Doesn't seem legit at all. I don't even know if I should log it, or even how I would log it.
Can’t wait for that Igglybuff Donkey Kong echo-fighter

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Figured i’d drop in before I head to bed for the night to share something pretty cool.

I just beat Kingdom Hearts 1. I’ve never played the series before, and besides some of the cringy moments throughout the game (I wasn’t raised as a “Disney kid”), I definitely appreciate the game for what it is.

I’m starting Chain of Memories tomorrow.

While I currently would not be heartbroken if Sora wasn’t added to Smash, I DO think it would be really cool to have a matchup between the Master Sword, Monado, Buster Sword, and Keyblade. They’re pretty iconic swords (Monado less so), so I think that would be a pretty cool thing for Smash to be able to brag about...

Plus that would be yet ANOTHER PlayStation “all-star” that PSASBR wouldn’t have.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
At this point, the only legendary blade we're missing now is a lightsaber...
speaking of which
Travis Touchdown No More Heroes.jpg

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You have to keep in mind though that Captain Toad is all Toad fans have left at this point for hope..
Well, one, how rude of you to forget Ala-Gold. Nobody refers to his existence as a Toad.
Second, then too bad if he doesn't make it? Sometimes there is no hope.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
At this point, the only legendary blade we're missing now is a lightsaber...
speaking of whichView attachment 153572
My man.
Just kidding! I have never played No More Heroes.
They should just add Darth Vader himself, to be honest. SoulCalibur already did it. Plus it makes negotiating Sora, Mickey, and Spider-Man a little easier, and I know those are all hotly requested characters.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Didn't the Japanese version of the games always have them making lightsaber sounds too?
Yes. 64 and Melee only had the sfx for the Japanese versions but Brawl and Smash 4 keeps them for all versions.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I just don't necessarily agree. In the hypothetical scenario that Geno does get in and Captain Toad doesn't, I wouldn't see it as Sakurai choosing one over the other. Geno again would still be a special case as a cult favorite. And Captain Toad just unfortunately fell to the wayside in preference to other characters for other franchises. Though he'd probably at least be an assist trophy or have a stage appearance if Treasure Tracker gets a stage

Will Will
You have to keep in mind though that Captain Toad is all Toad fans have left at this point for hope. Regular Toad is already with Peach, they gave the Blue Toad that could of referred to the NSMB Series and 3D World to Daisy. And no other Toad besides Captain Toad has any kind of resume good enough for Smash inclusion. And Captain Toad might not be a character that could just be saved for DLC among competition with 3rd parties and characters that hit it big on the Switch. And Ultimate's time in the spotlight is probably going to last a long while. Meaning if the Captain doesn't get in, then there's just no Toad at all coming in this Smash. And the next Smash may substantially decrease the roster making it harder for Toad to find some space among a Mario representation that could be shrunken.

I can take another Smash without Toad if need be, but you've gotta at least understand the frustration that Toad fans must feel at this point. Whatever they do with Captain Toad whether he will be able to jump or they find some way around his heavy backpack. (Or somewhere in between if say Captain Toad's able to take off the backpack with the downside of being easier to KO) They'll take it. They've been through enough.
Hmmm, Well that is what competition is.

Captain Toad wasn’t picked because Sakurai wanted to include other characters.

Maybe he didn’t particularly had any against Geno, but Geno was still chosen over Captain Toad due to popularity. And other characters were chosen over Captain Toad for whatever reason.

In this case, unfortunately everyone has competition with other characters from different series due to less amount of newcomers. If we could possibly get more, then a situation like this might’ve not occurred.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Literally the funniest thing about Captain Toad can't jump is that Sakurai will legit just make a corny ass joke about it. ''It's a good thing he packed light!"

And like...that's that on that.

It's such a silly hold up people have about translating him to Smash Brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom