• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
the team of Jump Force said he wasn’t playable because he would be overpowered and couldn’t make it work.
I think either I didn't make what I was saying clear, or you misunderstood me, so I'll try to be more blunt:

What is the source for this? I had assumed he was either playable or an antagonist based on him appearing in the reveal trailer.

I am talking about Jump Force here, not whatever that chibi mobile game is.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
The fact that Luffy is front and center is a subtle reminder that One Piece is the best selling manga of all time...
the first time I went to japan I expected tons of DBZ, Sailor Moon, pokemon etc... everywhere, instead I was shocked it was One Piece everywhere. every little shop had one piece keychains/toys/something etc... for sale (dont get me wrong those other animes are around too and especially really nerdy places all animes are plentiful but One Piece was EVERYWHERE).

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Are we still on the topic of an Alola rep? Because I've just come up with one that could potentially catch some steam, even though it's likely that they'll never be implemented into Smash.
The character I would choose to represent Gen VII is Lusamine, the main antagonist of Sun and Moon.

Basically, I envision her similarly to Pokemon Trainer, in that she wouldn't actually be doing most of the fighting, but sending out 3 different Pokemon in her stead. She's only shown to have five Pokemon at most in the games, being Clefable, Lilligant, Mismagius, Milotic, and Bewear (who is exempted due to already being and Assist Pokemon). The first three would be the ones she could potentially utilize, each having a moveset of their own, and still swapping between them with a quick down-B press. As for her Final Smash, she could potentially let loose a Nihilego and take on her Motherbeast form, using any single powerful poison-type attack (potentially Acid Downpour, thanks to its status as a Z-Move). Aside from bringing in new options and matchups, Lusamine would be accounted for as the first truly villainous Pokemon rep (Mewtwo's situation is still up in the air right now), and act as Smash's first female villain (I wouldn't count Wendy, seeing as she's an alt for Bowser Jr.), killing two birds with one stone.

Yes, I'm aware of the irony of having no actual Alolan Pokemon on her team, shut yer traps.
Sounds good but
That's if they take her from the game, in the anime, she was as nice and pure as can be until Nihilego kidnapped her to Ultra Space, and forced her to transform into her Motherbeast form. Ash and Pikachu had to battle her, defeat the Nihilego on her, and restore her to normal. Or if they take her from Ultra Sun and Moon where she slightly moree sympathetic (so I heard) and switches to good and realize her mistake before the end. So, I'm unsure about her being a true villain, but she was definitely evil in the Sun and Moon game until she (started to) turn good at the end

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wasn’t there a leak that mentioned something about a Smash styled Jump game? That actually just got announced.
It wasn't leaked if it was officially announced in a magazine.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Sounds good but
That's if they take her from the game, in the anime, she was as nice and pure as can be until Nihilego kidnapped her to Ultra Space and forced her to transform into her Motherbeast form. Or if they take her from Ultra Sun and Moon where she slightly moree sympathetic (so I heard) and switches to good and realize her mistake before the end. So, I'm unsure about her being a true villain, but she was definitely evil in the Sun and Moon game until she turn good at the end
True that...
Actually, the vision I had in mind for Lusamine was a version of her where she went off the deep end and actually had her plans go through without a hitch, kind of like the Team bosses in the USUM postgame. It'd be fascinating to see, and the devs at SORA have that tendency to spice their characters up a bit (I.E. Ridley's sadistic sense of humor, Captain Falcon's MAGESTY, Lucas's Subspace character development). I was considering Giovanni, but since he uses mostly ground-types in his games, there wouldn't be much variety in his choices of Pokemon.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Are we still on the topic of an Alola rep? Because I've just come up with one that could potentially catch some steam, even though it's likely that they'll never be implemented into Smash.
The character I would choose to represent Gen VII is Lusamine, the main antagonist of Sun and Moon.

Basically, I envision her similarly to Pokemon Trainer, in that she wouldn't actually be doing most of the fighting, but sending out 3 different Pokemon in her stead. She's only shown to have five Pokemon at most in the games, being Clefable, Lilligant, Mismagius, Milotic, and Bewear (who is exempted due to already being and Assist Pokemon). The first three would be the ones she could potentially utilize, each having a moveset of their own, and still swapping between them with a quick down-B press. As for her Final Smash, she could potentially let loose a Nihilego and take on her Motherbeast form, using any single powerful poison-type attack (potentially Acid Downpour, thanks to its status as a Z-Move). Aside from bringing in new options and matchups, Lusamine would be accounted for as the first truly villainous Pokemon rep (Mewtwo's situation is still up in the air right now), and act as Smash's first female villain (I wouldn't count Wendy, seeing as she's an alt for Bowser Jr.), killing two birds with one stone.

Yes, I'm aware of the irony of having no actual Alolan Pokemon on her team, shut yer traps.
As awesome as another Pokemon Trainer style rep would be, I really don't see them doing it a second time. That'd be essentially giving Pokemon three newcomer slots. It would probably be better for them to spread the love with other franchises.

And by that I mean they should add an Elibian Tactician character who swaps between commanding Hector, Eliwood and Lyn mid-battle.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What if they add Lusamine as a character, but she's possessed by Nihilego? Think about it, it's the perfect compromise for those who want Nihilego as she could use all of it's abilities, and it would represent Gen 7 (specifically Sun and Moon) pretty well.

KMDP

Smash Legend
the first time I went to japan I expected tons of DBZ, Sailor Moon, pokemon etc... everywhere, instead I was shocked it was One Piece everywhere. every little shop had one piece keychains/toys/something etc... for sale (dont get me wrong those other animes are around too and especially really nerdy places all animes are plentiful but One Piece was EVERYWHERE).
People underestimate how popular One Piece is in Japan (especially in the places where the 4Kids dub hit). :laugh:

It's the best selling manga series (and a Guinness World Record holder) for a reason.
...Where's Don Patch at?

It seems to be "One Character Per Series", so no Don Patch, no Vegeta, no Zoro, no Sasuke, no Bakugou/All Might etc.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
It wasn't leaked if it was officially announced in a magazine.
The game itself wasn’t officially announced until the 14th though. There was no information given on the article about the game, only something ambiguous about Bandai Namco announcing some co-publishing project, which could’ve been anything.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
True that...
Actually, the vision I had in mind for Lusamine was a version of her where she went of the deep end and actually had her plans go through without a hitch, kind of like the Team bosses in the USUM postgame. It'd be fascinating to see, and the devs at SORA have that tendency to spice their characters up a bit (I.E. Ridley's sadistic sense of humor, Captain Falcon's MAGESTY, Lucas's Subspace character development). I was considering Giovanni, but since he uses mostly ground-types in his games, there wouldn't be much variety in his choices of Pokemon.
Ok , now I understand where your getting at yeah that's pretty dark, but dark enough for Smash.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
What if they add Lusamine as a character, but she's possessed by Nihilego? Think about it, it's the perfect compromise for those who want Nihilego as she could use all of it's abilities, and it would represent Gen 7 (specifically Sun and Moon) pretty well.
You mean this?

No joke, this might just be the coolest idea for a Smash newcomer I've seen yet. It was such a disappointment you never actually got to fight her directly in SM. I'm not getting my hopes up but I really want to see this happen now.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You mean this?

No joke, this might just be the coolest idea for a Smash newcomer I've seen yet. It was such a disappointment you never actually got to fight her directly in SM. I'm not getting my hopes up but I really want to see this happen now.
I'm pretty sure that version of Lusamine is the one that has a Support Thread (I can't quite remember, I've seen so many the last few days someone brought it up on that thread).

Last edited:

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Lusamine could absolutely work as a fighter in my mind. in fact, any (noteworthy) pokemon trainer could work as a fighter if created in a certain way. My idea was to have (Insert trainer here) be a summoner type character similar to Yuna from Dissidia Final Fantasy.

For those who don't know, Yuna in her own game was a healer/summoner type character. That focused on healing and summoning giant creatures to fight in the party's stead. In dissidia, all of her attacks involve summoning her summons to deal damage. She doesn't actually do any attackers herself really. But she is the hurtbox. Her summons can't be damaged, only clanked with. You have to knock her out.

So imagine Lusamine as the character you damage and ko, but all her attacks involve quickly letting out her pokemon to deal damage before them dissapearing. Like her jab could be summoning...idk bewear to do a three hit punch. Her Ftilt involves her lilligant doing an attack, her smashes all invovle her ingame pokemon team. Kind of like a different version of olimar only you can't kill her pokemon and she herself doesn't do anything but run, jump and grab and stuff.

I think doing this would require a lot of time and effort so I don't view it as a very realistic possibility. But It's kind of been my favourite fighting style i've thought about.

I hope I explained my thought process clearly. I have put way too much of my free hours into thinking this up. :)

(Here's an example of Yuna's fighting style to get an idea of what I mean)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

According to Smashwiki, PK Fire has a slower start-up (a nerf), but has a faster cooldown and has a larger hitbox (two buffs).
Yes now can approach Ness as little mac with out being bombarded with pk fire as quickly

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Yes now can approach Ness as little mac with out being bombarded with pk fire as quickly
If you get hit by PK Fire that just means you are woefully predictable (and bad). PK Fire sucks against Mac onstage. Dash Attack is the real Mac killer.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Lusamine could absolutely work as a fighter in my mind. in fact, any (noteworthy) pokemon trainer could work as a fighter if created in a certain way. My idea was to have (Insert trainer here) be a summoner type character similar to Yuna from Dissidia Final Fantasy.

For those who don't know, Yuna in her own game was a healer/summoner type character. That focused on healing and summoning giant creatures to fight in the party's stead. In dissidia, all of her attacks involve summoning her summons to deal damage. She doesn't actually do any attackers herself really. But she is the hurtbox. Her summons can't be damaged, only clanked with. You have to knock her out.

So imagine Lusamine as the character you damage and ko, but all her attacks involve quickly letting out her pokemon to deal damage before them dissapearing. Like her jab could be summoning...idk bewear to do a three hit punch. Her Ftilt involves her lilligant doing an attack, her smashes all invovle her ingame pokemon team. Kind of like a different version of olimar only you can't kill her pokemon and she herself doesn't do anything but run, jump and grab and stuff.

I think doing this would require a lot of time and effort so I don't very it as a very realistic possibility. But It's kind of been my favourite fighting style i've thought about/

I hope I explained my thought process clearly. I have put way too much of my free hours into thinking this up. :)

(Here's an example of Yuna's fighting style to get an idea of what I mean)
Good idea. You could also have her using the other Ultra Beasts as well (I feel this is the exact kind of canon-bending Sakurai would do).

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
No because
1. The game still treats her like a normal Pokeball battle
2. Ultra Sun and Moon removed it

D

Deleted member

If you get hit by PK Fire that just means you are woefully predictable (and bad). PK Fire sucks.
Not against Little Mac how exactly am i supposed to stop him from doing that when I approach him

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
That is an alternative as well. It fits with the potential characterization of her having gone too far with her plans, basically becoming a true villain. Plus, we'd get our first primary poison-type Pokemon in the series (sorry, Ivysaur).

Yeah, I like your idea better.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
The game itself wasn’t officially announced until the 14th though. There was no information given on the article about the game, only something ambiguous about Bandai Namco announcing some co-publishing project, which could’ve been anything.
This year's Shonen Jump's 50th anniversary so it's a pretty plausible "leak" to come up with. Also that leak got like, 99% of things wrong aside from there being another Shonen Jump game lol

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Not against Little Mac how exactly am i supposed to stop him from doing that when I approach him
Powershield then punish. It has 10 million years of startup and endlag, you can surely DA or dash grab in time. Or instead of running right into a free punish apply some walking and foxtrotting, to not only shield more efficiently but also to throw off his timing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When hes standing at the edge how do I do that side B off the edge
You don't have to approach him.

Make Ness come to you by going to the other side of the platform. Make him make a mistake.

Or even use Counter if you're ballsy.

D

Deleted member

Powershield then punish. It has 10 million years of startup and endlag, you can surely DA or dash grab in time. Or instead of running right into a free punish apply some walking and foxtrotting, to not only shield more efficiently but also to throw off his timing.
You know what I'll stick to villager for fighting Ness nothing like pocketing his recovery move

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know what I'll stick to villager for fighting Ness nothing like pocketing his recovery move
You strike me as someone who wants an easy win button.

You won't get one.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Villager versus Ness is pretty much as close as you get to that edit seriously again let me reboot the page
So you're going to rely on one specific strategy that is dependent on the Ness player not doing anything to stop it?

You need to learn to play the neutral man, regardless of your character.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
If PK Fire doesn't exist or is not as spammable Little Mac punishes Ness
That is not true. The real Mac killers are Dash Attack and Foward Throw. DA sends Mac into a nasty angle that guarantees a Fair chain and FThrow has set knockbacks that forces Mac to pick a commital option offstage. Mac has various whiff punishes on Ness.

Villager versus Ness is pretty much as close as you get to that edit seriously again let me reboot the page
I have slayed countless Villagers who think the MU is free. Dumbass Villagers who don't know Ness's PKT/Magnet/airdodge mixups as well as not respecting damage output that can get me a lead and force them to approach. If you really want a Ness delete button there is Corrin. That MU truly is free.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If PK Fire doesn't exist or is not as spammable Little Mac punishes Ness

Ness have a hard time against fast characters, if you use him correctly, Little Mac can take him down.

D

Deleted member

So you're going to rely on one specific strategy that is dependent on the Ness player not doing anything to stop it?

You need to learn to play the neutral man, regardless of your character.
Yeah that makes sense the only characters I can really use exceptionally well are Sonic and little mac with My Little Mac I just approach whatever I want and pummel it ness does not let me do that so when I try I have 70% before I can blink I guess I got to pull out the trustey level 9 CPU to find a way to counter Ness

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
No because
1. The game still treats her like a normal Pokeball battle
2. Ultra Sun and Moon removed it
Except Ultra Sun and Moon weren't exactly ideas other than "we've got to do the annual rereleases" when Sun and Moon were being developed, which was when Smash Bros Ultimate's roster was being decided.
Ultra Sun and Ultra moon are not really remakes of sun and moon more like a alternate ending
Also this. Sun and Moon did little to nothing to alter Sun and Moon, and in fact made the story worse in my opinion. Removing the real conflict with Lusamine and the Aether Foundation alongside stunting Lillie's growth as a character was horrible, and what did we get in return? The UB Response Squad or whatever they were called doing literally nothing and a fight against a busted-ass Ultra Necrozma? They might as well be ignored with the exception of Dusk Lycanroc, which should've been a thing from the beginning.

After wasting my time by watching the Pokémon Sun and Moon anime, Nihilego!Lusamine fights with energy blasts alongside manipulation of water and earth. Alongside using base Nihilego's abilities, I think it's definitely possible.

We could even have a Metroid reference in her reveal trailer, given the similarities between the two.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah that makes sense the only characters I can really use exceptionally well are Sonic and little mac with My Little Mac I just approach whatever I want and pummel it ness does not let me do that so when I try I have 70% before I can blink I guess I got to pull out the trustey level 9 CPU to find a way to counter Ness
If you don't play regularly some match-ups can be hard against even CPUs, I know from myself. Though it's good practice. You must change your playstyle once in a while in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom