• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No one here has said anything about how Corrin is still one of if not the most avidly disliked characters in the roster among Smash fans. If we're talking about downsizing the amount of FE in Smash (in like...Smash 6, I guess?) Corrin makes sense to be at the front of the line.
You literally said "Corrin places low on FE:H polls." That's completely wrong. A group of butthurt Smash fans doesn't change the fact that Corrin is a popular character. Something can be popular and still be divisive.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
... You already know what character I'm about in regards to FE.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
imo all fire emblem would ever need is marth, anna, tiki, robin, and azura

ike, lucina, corrin, and roy can pack their bags

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't get why someone would be able to leak the shadows but not the characters in said shadows
It's casts massive doubt on it right off the bat considering the whole shadow effect lasts like a second or two. Seems like a odd things to take a snapshot of.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm so glad we don't have to speculate about cuts and that literally every single character is here. I can't imagine why people would WANT to speculate about cuts at this point.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't remember people saying there wouldn't be Wii U stages, people were especially poorly grasped on developmental timelines and its implications back then (such as Tropical Freeze being used as reasoning for why Dixie Kong was a likely newcomer in Smash 4), but regardless a stage is a lot less developmentally-intensive than a playable character. And people got to stop bringing up Greninja as evidence for Arms/Xenoblade 2/etc. getting a playable character; first as stated by Sakurai himself a placeholder for a future inclusion was an exception made just for Pokemon, conversely he stated Robin probably wouldn't have been in Smash 4 if Awakening released just six months later (for reference Awakening released in Japan just a month before Smash 4's roster was decided). Additionally, Greninja was still decided very early on before he was even revealed publicly (with Sakurai's only references for him being concept art), Greninja was not made mid-development. Also from Sakurai's words, a new playable character takes over a year to create, that is not something you can just squeeze into development right in the middle of it, a whole new unique character is not getting added mid-development that isn't a case as special as Brawl Sonic's, especially not in the age of DLC when you can just wait until DLC instead of delaying your game for a single character.

Whether it's deciding an inclusion for an Arms character back in December 2015 or deciding to add an Arms character mid-development, either scenario not occurring is about as certain as you can get for a character's exclusion that wasn't flatout disconfirmed. The only scenario an Arms character still makes it in is if Sakurai decided to make one a clone, which doesn't seem possible as no character on the roster is a good cloning base for them.
But you also have to remember that this development cycle isn't even comparable to what Sakurai had on his plate with Smash 4. He's working on one game this time, and basically every character model from Smash 4 was carried over and tweaked. A majority of the "new" characters we've seen so far are veterans who had entire movesets already mapped out for them. In addition to that, all of the items, Assist Trophies/Pokemon, and stages that were present in Smash 4 can also be directly ported over.

Getting a character mid-development is very unusual and would be completely unprecedented based on previous games. However, the development cycle for this game has already strayed so far from what Sakurai is used to. He's getting the same amount of time as it took him to make Smash 4, but he can also port over a majority of the work from the Wii U, which means he'll have an undetermined amount of time to spend on other things (like a massive list of returning stages). The amount of free time he can spend on other things can't be guessed, and we'll likely never know how much time porting content saved him. Regardless, he still has more elbow room with this game, and something unexpected like an ARMS character isn't something we should just rule out. After all, ARMS' official reveal would've given Sakurai a year and eleven months until Ultimate's release to add an ARMS rep. That well exceeds the "over a year to make a character" statement he made.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isn't that Smash/Mario Tennis Aces event tomorrow?
Yeah, at 10 PM EST. it’ll have already been the 16th in Japan by then, so it would be a Monday and we could in theory get some new info.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
imo all fire emblem would ever need is marth, anna, tiki, robin, and azura

ike, lucina, corrin, and roy can pack their bags
Anna, in my opinion, is a good reason why quality is better than quantity.

People bring up how she's been in thirteen of the fifteen main series games, but in all but two of those she was a shopkeeper (and mostly a hidden Easter egg, at that). And even then in Awakening she was an optional side character and in Fates she wasn't even in the main game at all and was a DLC character.

Heroes is honestly the only time she's ever had a notable appearance, but even there she gets shafted by the other leads.

In my eyes Anna represents Fire Emblem the same way Nurse Joy represents Pokémon.

monadoboy

Smash Lord

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

People bring up how she's been in thirteen of the fifteen main series games, but in all but two of those she was a shopkeeper (and mostly a hidden Easter egg, at that). And even then in Awakening she was an optional side character and in Fates she wasn't even in the main game at all and was a DLC character.

Heroes is honestly the only time she's ever had a notable appearance, but even there she gets shafted by the other leads.

In my eyes Anna represents Fire Emblem the same way Nurse Joy represents Pokémon.
Honestly, had IS marketed her as such, she could've very easily become the mascot ala Pikachu or Jack Frost.

As she is now, I feel she's going to be permanently tied to the "fun side character role'" like being Nurse Joy at least or at most going a "Detective Looker."

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly, had IS marketed her as such, she could've very easily become the mascot ala Pikachu or Jack Frost.

As she is now, I feel she's going to be permanently tied to the "fun side character role'" like being Nurse Joy at least or at most going a "Detective Looker."
That's a good comparison, honestly. A Nurse Joy who is slowly becoming a Looker, but still nowhere near a Pikachu.

I guess my other issue with people using Anna's game count as a reason to add her is that there are characters who have actually been playable in more games than she has, but never get discussed. Palla, Catria, Est, and Camus are all playable in six of the fifteen main games, plus Heroes, and have more plot significance to boot (especially Camus) but never get so much as mentioned.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well yeah, the statement is wrong.
It's technically a katana.
Eh, there's a hundred of sword and sword variants, so I can forgive people if they don't specifically know what weapon she wields.

I'm just not a fan of how people deal with that ignorance.

Good way:
I know nothing about this character, so I will abstain!
I know something about this character, so I will discuss my opinion on them!

Bad way:
I know nothing about this character, so I will overgeneralize them to discredit them!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
This. Sorry guys.

Finally an interesting leak. I'm still waiting for the next Palutena leak.
Monaco Boy! You’re okay!

But you also have to remember that this development cycle isn't even comparable to what Sakurai had on his plate with Smash 4. He's working on one game this time, and basically every character model from Smash 4 was carried over and tweaked. A majority of the "new" characters we've seen so far are veterans who had entire movesets already mapped out for them. In addition to that, all of the items, Assist Trophies/Pokemon, and stages that were present in Smash 4 can also be directly ported over.

Getting a character mid-development is very unusual and would be completely unprecedented based on previous games. However, the development cycle for this game has already strayed so far from what Sakurai is used to. He's getting the same amount of time as it took him to make Smash 4, but he can also port over a majority of the work from the Wii U, which means he'll have an undetermined amount of time to spend on other things (like a massive list of returning stages). The amount of free time he can spend on other things can't be guessed, and we'll likely never know how much time porting content saved him. Regardless, he still has more elbow room with this game, and something unexpected like an ARMS character isn't something we should just rule out. After all, ARMS' official reveal would've given Sakurai a year and eleven months until Ultimate's release to add an ARMS rep. That well exceeds the "over a year to make a character" statement he made.
This is the biggest difference between Ultimate’s development than every other Smash game.

There is just no major obstacles to hold back this game’s development for being the best it can be with the same amount of time, around 2.5 years. And I think this shown through the large amount of stages we have, the vererans we’re probably the thing that took most of time during this game’s development, but it seems most of them are done, and there is enough room for new content.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
another sword use
Swords are so ingrained in not only video games, but fiction in general that I don't understand how so many people even entertain this argument.
Stuff like LotR, ASoIaF, Star Wars, Arthurian legends, etc. are full of swords. Not to mention they are featured in many religions. Swords have popped up in pretty much every corner of the world through history, leaving thousands and thousands of different swords and schools of sword-fighting.
Spears, while they might be the most common weapon of those times, are not as prominent in fiction, just like axes.
Swords just find a way to get there, even Harry Potter, where magic is the primordial and only weapon, has a sword that is central to the plot.
Might as well complain that there are too many fist-fighters.
Actually, I think Smash needs a certain someone with a beam sword to join.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm so glad we don't have to speculate about cuts and that literally every single character is here. I can't imagine why people would WANT to speculate about cuts at this point.
I am very glad too Sakurai decided to bring everyone back, and decided to announce it right off the back.

The people that are already arguing about a game that could be six to ten years away are malcontents that see some veteran on the roster as having "stole" the slot of their character of choice (see the clowns who are talking about which FE characters should be dumped off the roster for their waifu of choice).

Also, the one character that fans of Lucina, Daisy, and Dark Pit should never ever down talk is Dr. Mario. It was Sakurai having regrets about Dr. Mario being a costume, that he even created the category of "echoes" to begin with. Any other echoes that are added in can ultimately (heh) be attributed to Dr. Mario's return to the roster proper.

So all this debate about "this character should be dumped because they are a doody head who is irrelevant and took my favorite character's spot" are unable to see proper perspective of what each character brings to Smash Bros. even if they seem "unimportant". Characters like Chrom (going on seven years since his main game) and Dark Samus (now nearly 11 years since her last appearance) would never have made the roster (assuming both these characters make it in) without "worthless clone" Dr. Mario getting added.

Let us just enjoy this latest installment for now, and dream about what we will receive with Ultimate.

There are tons of variables that can occur that can have drastically massive impact on speculation. Would anyone have thought Daisy would be our next playable Mario character, or that Ridley would finally be playable a few months ago? Or that even the likes of Young Link would return? As much as us speculators can see what characters are coming, there is a lot we also never see coming ourselves.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Swords are so ingrained in not only video games, but fiction in general that I don't understand how so many people even entertain this argument.
Stuff like LotR, ASoIaF, Star Wars, Arthurian legends, etc. are full of swords. Not to mention they are featured in many religions. Swords have popped up in pretty much every corner of the world through history, leaving thousands and thousands of different swords and schools of sword-fighting.
Spears, while they might be the most common weapon of those times, are not as prominent in fiction, just like axes.
Swords just find a way to get there, even Harry Potter, where magic is the primordial and only weapon, has a sword that is central to the plot.
Might as well complain that there are too many fist-fighters.
Actually, I think Smash needs a certain someone with a beam sword to join.
TRAVIS, IT'S SMASH OR BE SMASHED

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I am very glad too Sakurai decided to bring everyone back, and decided to announce it right off the back.

The people that are already arguing about a game that could be six to ten years away are malcontents that see some veteran on the roster as having "stole" the slot of their character of choice (see the clowns who are talking about which FE characters should be dumped off the roster for their waifu of choice).

Also, the one character that fans of Lucina, Daisy, and Dark Pit should never ever down talk is Dr. Mario. It was Sakurai having regrets about Dr. Mario being a costume, that he even created the category of "echoes" to begin with. Any other echoes that are added in can ultimately (heh) be attributed to Dr. Mario's return to the roster proper.

So all this debate about "this character should be dumped because they are a doody head who is irrelevant and took my favorite character's spot" are unable to see proper perspective of what each character brings to Smash Bros. even if they seem "unimportant". Characters like Chrom (going on seven years since his main game) and Dark Samus (now nearly 11 years since her last appearance) would never have made the roster (assuming both these characters make it in) without "worthless clone" Dr. Mario getting added.

Let us just enjoy this latest installment for now, and dream about what we will receive with Ultimate.

There are tons of variables that can occur that can have drastically massive impact on speculation. Would anyone have thought Daisy would be our next playable Mario character, or that Ridley would finally be playable a few months ago? Or that even the likes of Young Link would return? As much as us speculators can see what characters are coming, there is a lot we also never see coming ourselves.
If anyone is complaining about the roster at this point, they just don't deserve the attention. That's just really depressing to think that someone could be upset about this roster.

Also, I love that Sakurai actually gave echo fighters a more respectable name than "clones". Just look at how many YouTube videos there are now of people eager to see more and more echo fighters compared to before they got the name "echo fighter".

Echo fighters have been some of my favorite newcomers in the entire series, starting with Luigi. Pichu was #1 veteran return I was hoping for. Dark Pit was one of my favorite newcomers in Smash for Wii U. And Dr. Mario is one of my favorite fighters in the entire series.

I've had to defend these characters for a LONG time on the internet, so I'm glad to finally see so many people embracing them and asking for more.

Last edited:

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
So out of the blue, Sakurai lands in front of you, gives you a list of 5 newcomers and ask you to design up to 5 official art poster ala Smash 4 of the newcomers, in return he'll pay you for the artwork, give you Ultimate autographed by himself before anyone else and a free seasons pass of the game. Whether you just awakened your latent artistic abilities, or low key asks someone to draw it for you, who's on the list of newcomers you got, and what would their Smash posters look like? What's your vision?
Marx:
It'd look much like the Kirby Super Star Ultra title screen for Milky Way Wishes with stars and galaxies and stuff. Marx would be at the centre in his cute wingless form, there'd be characters who are associated with space like Kirby, Olimar, Ridley and Fox all around him, and there'd also be Nova watching from the distance. the art would be given a cute style to it alongside the obvious MWW basis.

Adeleine:
It'd be a classical painting style poster with Adeleine and all the other Kirby characters in Smash (Inc Marx BTW) and a couple other watcher her painting a smash ball. There'd be a abstract look to it but it's mostly quite Kirbyish.

Kumatora:
The poster would have a bunch of magic/elemental based characters in a clay style with Kumatora in the centre, nothing else much but i'd imagine it'd be a cute one if it was done in clay.

Kraid:
Kraid would take centre stage but it'd have all of the big Nintendo villains (not Dedede tho since he's hardly a villain and is more of a hero these days.) standing on cliffs ans stuff around him, the lighting would be dim and Kraid would be staring into whoever is looking at the poster.

Agumon:
The poster would be highly digital with zeros and ones in ring around the characters, Agumon and a couple of other characters (thinking GaW, Charizard, ROB and Yoshi) you'd see floating rocks and a phone booth. Machiendramon's faint outline can be made out from a dark corner.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325

*BREATHE IN* i've been waiting for this!!! all hail queen anna

sorry to bomb you with this wall, it came out longer than i thought it would

To be honest, Anna isn't much different from other characters in the roster; specifically Rosalina and Roy.

There's other characters who's time has definitely passed. Take Rosalina. Yeah, she had the puppeteer moveset. But all she had prior to Smash was Galaxy; when you compare that to being present in almost every game in Fire Emblem, a series where the cast is constantly rotating, and also being playable in two of those games, and being the "secret" character in its Warriors spinoff, and having a notable appearance in your series' mobile game. . . it pales. Since her starring roles in the Galaxy games and playable status in 3D World, Rosalina has had nothing of note.

However, Anna has been quickly climbing the ranks. With her playable appearances in Awakening, Fates, and Warriors, and her main character status in Heroes, she's infinitely more relevant than the other competitors in her series, aside from Lords. Who, most she still beats anyways, as most have only had one game. They had that game to themselves, yeah. . . but I don't think anyone's expecting Sigurd to hit playable status. Anna's only climbing up in her series, and she's only going to get more relevant. By Smash 7 or 8 she'll definitely be a star for Fire Emblem. And yeah, saying "in three decades she'll be important !!!" doesn't sound good, but considering how her rise to fame is still relatively new, and Fire Emblem has new character casts for each game, it's still pretty impressive. (cough: Rosalina getting kicked to the curb when there's a MOON Kingdom in Odyssey. even toadette got in lol)

Yes, it's controversial to say "Anna should be in Smash before Rosalina!", as Galaxy was pretty big for Mario. But being a one-time wonder isn't exactly impressive. Though, that's not to say Rosalina shouldn't be in Smash at all! She helps to flesh out what there is of the Mario series, and her moveset is unique and most of all, fun! But she's an example of how staying important to your series isn't exactly that crucial to ensure an appearance in Smash.

On to Roy. Roy got in because he was a clone, of course; but that's the only reason. Relevancy and clone. Since his appearance, he has blended into the pile of lords/main characters. He isn't the first like Marth. He didn't introduce FE to the west like Lyn. He didn't popularize it with Awakening like Robin (not a lord but a main character)/Lucina. He's just been there. If Roy had not been added in Melee, there's no way he would be added now. Roy just got lucky. If he were to fight for a Smash appearance with Anna, he definitely wouldn't come out on top.

Shoot. Jigglypuff can join the club!!! Yes, she was created in SSB64 using resources from Kirby; that's why she got in. But she definitely isn't important now. She's not any more relevant than the over 800 other Pokemon. She has no style, she has no grace, this girl in Smash has NO PLACE.

But you know what she does have? Legacy. Because she was there since the start, because she was a popular, easy addition to the first game.

Who else has that sort of legacy in their series? Anna, from Fire Emblem. Because not only has she been there since the start, she has only risen in her relevancy to her series, and she has a heck of a lot of moveset potential. You want an axe character? Lance character? Archer? Joke character? She fits the bill for all four.

That's why I think Anna should be the next Fire Emblem character. Compared to most of the other lords, she is only more relevant to her series, offers more moveset potential (lol sword lords), and in the near future she's going to become one of Fire Emblem's trademark characters.

i also think that comparing anna to nurse joy is wrong, as nurse joy has had no important roles at all. anna hasn't had games to her title but she's had warriors, heroes, playable appearances in awakening + fates DLC. . . to be honest, I don't think Anna has a match in the Pokemon series. If I had to pick, I'd say Looker?

EchoAegis

Need time to think?

*BREATHE IN* i've been waiting for this!!! all hail queen anna

sorry to bomb you with this wall, it came out longer than i thought it would

To be honest, Anna isn't much different from other characters in the roster; specifically Rosalina and Roy.

There's other characters who's time has definitely passed. Take Rosalina. Yeah, she had the puppeteer moveset. But all she had prior to Smash was Galaxy; when you compare that to being present in almost every game in Fire Emblem, a series where the cast is constantly rotating, and also being playable in two of those games, and being the "secret" character in its Warriors spinoff, and having a notable appearance in your series' mobile game. . . it pales. Since her starring roles in the Galaxy games and playable status in 3D World, Rosalina has had nothing of note.

However, Anna has been quickly climbing the ranks. With her playable appearances in Awakening, Fates, and Warriors, and her main character status in Heroes, she's infinitely more relevant than the other competitors in her series, aside from Lords. Who, most she still beats anyways, as most have only had one game. They had that game to themselves, yeah. . . but I don't think anyone's expecting Sigurd to hit playable status. Anna's only climbing up in her series, and she's only going to get more relevant. By Smash 7 or 8 she'll definitely be a star for Fire Emblem. And yeah, saying "in three decades she'll be important !!!" doesn't sound good, but considering how her rise to fame is still relatively new, and Fire Emblem has new character casts for each game, it's still pretty impressive. (cough: Rosalina getting kicked to the curb when there's a MOON Kingdom in Odyssey. even toadette got in lol)

Yes, it's controversial to say "Anna should be in Smash before Rosalina!", as Galaxy was pretty big for Mario. But being a one-time wonder isn't exactly impressive. Though, that's not to say Rosalina shouldn't be in Smash at all! She helps to flesh out what there is of the Mario series, and her moveset is unique and most of all, fun! But she's an example of how staying important to your series isn't exactly that crucial to ensure an appearance in Smash.

On to Roy. Roy got in because he was a clone, of course; but that's the only reason. Relevancy and clone. Since his appearance, he has blended into the pile of lords/main characters. He isn't the first like Marth. He didn't introduce FE to the west like Lyn. He didn't popularize it with Awakening like Robin (not a lord but a main character)/Lucina. He's just been there. If Roy had not been added in Melee, there's no way he would be added now. Roy just got lucky. If he were to fight for a Smash appearance with Anna, he definitely wouldn't come out on top.

Shoot. Jigglypuff can join the club!!! Yes, she was created in SSB64 using resources from Kirby; that's why she got in. But she definitely isn't important now. She's not any more relevant than the over 800 other Pokemon. She has no style, she has no grace, this girl in Smash has NO PLACE.

But you know what she does have? Legacy. Because she was there since the start, because she was a popular, easy addition to the first game.

Who else has that sort of legacy in their series? Anna, from Fire Emblem. Because not only has she been there since the start, she has only risen in her relevancy to her series, and she has a heck of a lot of moveset potential. You want an axe character? Lance character? Archer? Joke character? She fits the bill for all four.

That's why I think Anna should be the next Fire Emblem character. Compared to most of the other lords, she is only more relevant to her series, offers more moveset potential (lol sword lords), and in the near future she's going to become one of Fire Emblem's trademark characters.

i also think that comparing anna to nurse joy is wrong, as nurse joy has had no important roles at all. anna hasn't had games to her title but she's had warriors, heroes, playable appearances in awakening + fates DLC. . . to be honest, I don't think Anna has a match in the Pokemon series. If I had to pick, I'd say Looker?
Hmm? first, you can't compare the Mario series to Fire Emblem at all. Quite a huge difference between the Mario series and fire Emblem series and this is coming from someone who adores the series.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Hmm? first, you can't compare the Mario series to Fire Emblem at all. Quite a huge difference between the Mario series and fire Emblem series and this is coming from someone who adores the series.
I was mostly using Rosalina as an indicator that characters don't really have to be important to their series to be in Smash.

And I provided other examples too (Roy and Jigglypuff).

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

Do you know how game development works? The development process is still the same, the development cycle "hasn't strayed", the scope of the game (and thus its content) was still decided early on so Sakurai and Nintendo knew what he is working with, Sakurai still has deadlines, allocated developmental resources, and a budget to work with, making bringing back all the veterans the top priority instead of shunting some of them into a low priority bracket of characters that could be scrapped if needed doesn't make the development of this game magically different. You do realize the entire plan to bring back everyone and all those stages and who knows what else content was decided when the game was conceptualized and pitched? Sakurai didn't plan out the roster and entire scope of the game before beginning development in prior entries for the hell of it, the deadlines, allocated resources, and budget have to be figured with the entire planned game in mind before development begins, he isn't adding new content as he goes along, you can't just add something that takes over a year of development mid-development on top of everything else with "some elbow room", remember just Sonic's inclusion in Brawl delayed the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom