• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I'm surprised there's a lot of support for Isabell as a character? I'd always thought she was the prime assist trophy character, because you know... secrutiary... It would be kind of a surprise to see her... Stranger things have happened before...

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I'm surprised there's a lot of support for Isabell as a character? I'd always thought she was the prime assist trophy character, because you know... secrutiary... It would be kind of a surprise to see her... Stranger things have happened before...
Animal Crossing New Leaf was my very First Nintendo game, (Before you ask, Yeah, I'm fairly young. Don't worry. I'm not 7 or anything.) And I can say she's a very Popular character. She's basically the series Mascot at this point, and Fans love her. and i do too.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Interesting information, but it changes absolutely nothing since when a game starts development isn't as important as you think. I mean, Radiant Dawn and Mario Galaxy started development before the Brawl roster was finalized and those two games didn't get much content representation in Brawl, let alone any playable fighters that debuted in those games. Heck, I don't even think Galaxy even got anything in Brawl.
Galaxy didn't even get any stickers in Brawl while it released just a month before Brawl's originally planned release date, and Radiant Dawn just got a few stickers and Sothe's trophy being of his grown up design from RD, while it released ten months before Brawl's originally planned release date. This trend continued in Smash 4, such as Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3 just having a few trophies in the Wii U version and a couple songs.

However Mario Kart 8 got a stage while it released about six months before Smash Wii U's release, and Yoshi's Wooly World also got a stage despite releasing seven months after Smash Wii U's release. So overall it's certainly possible Arms could get as much as a stage (with its release being over a year before Ultimate's release), but the chances of getting a playable character in the base game are still shot.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Thanks for the compliment. Then again. Even more FE Reps are the only characters i don't want.
Honestly. I think Ike, Roy, and Marth are pretty solid on their own.
If Fire Emblem were ever knocked down to only three characters I can practically guarantee Roy wouldn't be one of them, to be honest.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Here's a new game. Pick 8 newcomers(Unique or Echo), but they must start with each letter in ULTIMATE. I'l start:

Urbosa
Lloyd Irving
Twintelle
Isabelle
Mach Rider
Ashley
Tatanga
Ephraim
Under the control of Majora, Skull Kid
Link to the Past Ganon
Toad
Iconic for their N64 games, Banjo-Kazooie
Mimikyu
Alrest’s hero, Rex
The amazing King K. Rool
Earthbound’s secondary villain, Porky

That wasn’t so hard

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well, can't say I was expecting a Direct or any type of news in July (I wish we would of gotten some this month), I mostly expected them to tell us more info in August.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well I know that Marth and Ike are one of those 2 FE characters that will never go. Don't know about the 3rd one
Probably Robin considering how important Fire Emblem Awakening is to the series.

Or Lucina for the same reason + everybody loves her for some reason even though she's a trash waifu and is grossly overrated

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Isabelle is quite frankly the most popular Nintendo character to be introduced that's not an Inkling in recent years. She's her series face now.

There's a lot of support for her because of this.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Galaxy didn't even get any stickers in Brawl while it released just a month before Brawl's originally planned release date, and Radiant Dawn just got a few stickers and Sothe's trophy being of his grown up design from RD, while it released ten months before Brawl's originally planned release date. This trend continued in Smash 4, such as Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3 just having a few trophies in the Wii U version and a couple songs.

However Mario Kart 8 got a stage while it released about six months before Smash Wii U's release, and Yoshi's Wooly World also got a stage despite releasing seven months after Smash Wii U's release. So overall it's possible Arms could certainly get as much as a stage (with its release being over a year before Ultimate's release), but the chances of getting a playable character in the base game are still shot.
To be fair, a lot of people during Smash 4's speculation automatically ruled out the Wii U games getting many stages because development started long before the Wii U was even released. Despite that, we still got Mushroom Kingdom U, Gamer, Garden of Hope, Mario Circuit, and Wooly World.

It's highly unlikely, yes, but I don't think a character's chances are "shot" just because they debuted after development started. Even if Greninja/a Pokémon rep was planned from the beginning of Smash 4's development, Sakurai has shown us that he's more than capable of adding characters after development has started. He claims to be less stressed out over this game than he was with the previous entries, so if he thinks he has the time and resources available, I could see him adding someone like Spring Man later in development. Like you said, he'd have well over a year and a half to work on the character.

Well I know that Marth and Ike are one of those 2 FE characters that will never go. Don't know about the 3rd one
Basically repeating what everyone else has said, but Marth, Ike, and Robin should never go.

As much as people hate to hear this, Corrin should be the next priority if we're shooting for four.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
It's fake

The inkling silhouettes don't match the offical inkling posemyou can't even see inklings left shoulder in the pose
Actually it does, here's how it looks in-game
https://prnt.sc/k6j725

However! The cropping is wrong and there's almost no good frames to take when the characters don't have their eyes glowing, no rock particle effect either. Or this was takeng very early, or it's fake (I'm definitely betting fake)

EDIT: picture wasn't going through for some reason

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sakurai is just gonna add Lloyd, Isabelle, Geno, K. Rool, Monster Hunter, Ashley, and Tails.

Then grin a **** eating grin and go ''It was all in front of you the last go round you idiots."
Id be really happy with that tbh
That would mean Heihachi, Akira, Jacky and Federation Force soldier would be in too. :b:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Sakurai is just gonna add Lloyd, Isabelle, Geno, K. Rool, Monster Hunter, Ashley, and Tails.

Then grin a **** eating grin and go ''It was all in front of you the last go round you idiots."
I wouldn't me even a little shocked about that honestly, haha.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I wish we could all be like that... then again, I realistically have some characters that would make me mad if they were in and I also don't have to bring up Fire Emblem at this point since everybody knows that story
Thanks for the compliment. Then again. Even more FE Reps are the only characters i don't want.
Honestly. I think Ike, Roy, and Marth are pretty solid on their own.
FE's good with like 3 or 4 I'd say.
Marth/Lucina, Ike, Robin and then the new FE protag from Three Houses (if they get in)

Roy actually works better as an alt skin considering his gimmick is more a detriment than anything, and Corrin is STILL GETTING BASHED years after his reveal while also placing low in FE:H polls, he clearly didn't take off like Roy did, who at least has memes and seniority to back him up.
I also agree with the sentiment of "I'm good with literally any newcomer as long as it's not Fire Emblem oh my god there are other series that have fans too why do we continue to appeal to this one niche"

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Yeah i agree. Kinda felt obvious.

Also, I don't get why people say the stage builder sucks, besides, I can make stuff like this!
View attachment 153148
I remember making and posting a ton of stages back during the Smash 4 days.
Some of my favorites are "64 Amalgam", "Box in the Box", "Reversed Battlefield", "Really Big Battlefield", "Bullet Hell", "Tricky Triangles", "Vertical Vitriol", and "9".

I wonder how Stage Builder will be this time around.

I hope they can find a good compromise between Brawl and Smash 4's builders. They both had problems, but they were both still pretty fun to play with.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If Fire Emblem were ever knocked down to only three characters I can practically guarantee Roy wouldn't be one of them, to be honest.
You could honestly cut it down so short and just have :ultmarth::ultrobin and it'd be acceptable.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
It's quite obvious who the third character would be.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I also agree with the sentiment of "I'm good with literally any newcomer as long as it's not Fire Emblem oh my god there are other series that have fans too why do we continue to appeal to this one niche"
I feel really bad for F-Zero, because not only did Smash help F-Zero get popular... but Smash literally did nothing for it at the same time except for having Captain Falcon. I really do hope that based on personality statement is true because if you get to parts of F-Zero games where the characters get to do things, they're honestly enjoyable. Especially this moment right here with Zoda https://youtu.be/Yh896ncAe6M?t=3m59s, God F-Zero GX is so underrated

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Marth/Lucina, Ike, Robin and then the new FE protag from Three Houses (if they get in)

Roy actually works better as an alt skin considering his gimmick is more a detriment than anything, and Corrin is STILL GETTING BASHED years after his reveal while also placing low in FE:H polls, he clearly didn't take off like Roy did, who at least has memes and seniority to back him up.
If by low placing you mean 9th place, then yeah.

People love downplaying Corrin here but they clearly have a fanbase if they’ve gotten top 10 in pretty much every official poll.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Honestly I see FE being cut and streamlined into three separate characters for a """perfect balance""".

:ultmarth:: First boy, main boy, has the plot weapon sword, makes good sense.

[FE7 Character]: Marks the game that saw international release, pretty big. Lyndis or Hector most likely unless Eliwood really wants to **** people up.

:ultrobin: Represents NU Emblem, Awakening's revival of the series, and the customizable avatar character. Probably has the most FE in FE characters in his moves.

That's just my opinion though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Female Corrin placed as one of the top ten favorite female characters in the franchise on the first Heroes poll. It's only the male version that's unpopular (and even then he got like 40th out of 800-ish).

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
To be fair, a lot of people during Smash 4's speculation automatically ruled out the Wii U games getting many stages because development started long before the Wii U was even released. Despite that, we still got Mushroom Kingdom U, Gamer, Garden of Hope, Mario Circuit, and Wooly World.

It's highly unlikely, yes, but I don't think a character's chances are "shot" just because they debuted after development started. Even if Greninja/a Pokémon rep was planned from the beginning of Smash 4's development, Sakurai has shown us that he's more than capable of adding characters after development has started. He claims to be less stressed out over this game than he was with the previous entries, so if he thinks he has the time and resources available, I could see him adding someone like Spring Man later in development. Like you said, he'd have well over a year and a half to work on the character.
I don't remember people saying there wouldn't be Wii U stages, people were especially poorly grasped on developmental timelines and its implications back then (such as Tropical Freeze being used as reasoning for why Dixie Kong was a likely newcomer in Smash 4), but regardless a stage is a lot less developmentally-intensive than a playable character. And people got to stop bringing up Greninja as evidence for Arms/Xenoblade 2/etc. getting a playable character; first as stated by Sakurai himself a placeholder for a future inclusion was an exception made just for Pokemon, conversely he stated Robin probably wouldn't have been in Smash 4 if Awakening released just six months later (for reference Awakening released in Japan just a month before Smash 4's roster was decided). Additionally, Greninja was still decided very early on before he was even revealed publicly (with Sakurai's only references for him being concept art), Greninja was not made mid-development. Also from Sakurai's words, a new playable character takes over a year to create, that is not something you can just squeeze into development right in the middle of it, a whole new unique character is not getting added mid-development that isn't a case as special as Brawl Sonic's, especially not in the age of DLC when you can just wait until DLC instead of delaying your game for a single character.

Whether it's deciding an inclusion for an Arms character back in December 2015 or deciding to add an Arms character mid-development, either scenario not occurring is about as certain as you can get for a character's exclusion that wasn't flatout disconfirmed. The only scenario an Arms character still makes it in is if Sakurai decided to make one a clone, which doesn't seem possible as no character on the roster is a good cloning base for them.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So out of the blue, Sakurai lands in front of you, gives you a list of 5 newcomers and ask you to design up to 5 official art poster ala Smash 4 of the newcomers, in return he'll pay you for the artwork, give you Ultimate autographed by himself before anyone else and a free seasons pass of the game. Whether you just awakened your latent artistic abilities, or low key asks someone to draw it for you, who's on the list of newcomers you got, and what would their Smash posters look like? What's your vision?
Oh this is fun to think about. Only got three, though...
1. Dovahkiin. As if I haven't said that enough in this thread...
I have a few cool ideas for his artwork...all of them using Ridley as the dragon, and then substituting characters like the Zelda or Fire Emblem characters in for some of the other fighters.​

2. K.Rool
His art could spin from his game artwork. Of course, he'd need to be brought into greater prominence, but the ideas of the Kongs running away would be good. Again, the Kongs in the DK64 art could be replaced with Yoshi, Mario, Villager, or other chibi-styled characters, while the Kremilings in the DKC2 art could be replaced by more villaionous characters like BJ or Wario.​

3. Urbosa
I think the easiest for her would be the promo art for the Champion's Ballad, with DK taking the place of Daruk, Falco for Revali, and the Inkling for Mipha. Zelda could either be replaced for Peach or get her new LBW/LttP design.​

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Eh?

Corrin is still one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters.

The huge poll has one version of Corrin as the fifth most popular female, and I believe they were 9th overall in a poll of literally hundreds.

Corrin did pull it off. They're just so divisive tha it skews perception.

It's like saying Camilla isn't popular because tons of people hate her, yet she still tops almost every poll.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In a perfect world where a three-character Fire Emblem roster was decided by me and only me, it'd be Marth, Celica, and Chrom. My three favorite lords from my three favorite Fire Emblem games, with Marth having his current set, Chrom having a weapon switching mechanic to alternate between Falchion and a lance, and Celica focusing on her freehand magic spells that cause recoil the more powerful they are, with the Beloved Zofia acting as a conduit or guiding baton.

Then again if I called the shots Fire Emblem would have a lot more than three characters lol.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Corrin is still one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters.
People love downplaying Corrin here but they clearly have a fanbase if they’ve gotten top 10 in pretty much every official poll.
Female Corrin placed as one of the top ten favorite female characters in the franchise on the first Heroes poll.
No one here has said anything about how Corrin is still one of if not the most avidly disliked characters in the roster among Smash fans. If we're talking about downsizing the amount of FE in Smash (in like...Smash 6, I guess?) Corrin makes sense to be at the front of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom